Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Favourite books & genres?
1 2 3
Wondering what the population of readers is like on here ! What's everybody's favourite books or your go-to genres?

I'm personally a fan of literary fiction ! One of my favourite books of all time is The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, the Susan Bernofsky translation :)
Wondering what the population of readers is like on here ! What's everybody's favourite books or your go-to genres?

I'm personally a fan of literary fiction ! One of my favourite books of all time is The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, the Susan Bernofsky translation :)
NSZvCod.png
OxagJgG.png
mlHpBMC.png
WvtW9EF.png
I've never liked the term "literary fiction". It's broad to the point of meaningless and only really servers to attempt to shoehorn a wealth of literature into a genre, just because such books don't fit into one otherwise. Rambling aside, my favorite author is Thomas Pynchon.
I've never liked the term "literary fiction". It's broad to the point of meaningless and only really servers to attempt to shoehorn a wealth of literature into a genre, just because such books don't fit into one otherwise. Rambling aside, my favorite author is Thomas Pynchon.
"Darkness still fell upon the cliff and the horn of the new moon vanished in the end behind the window of the wall as into a long-feared shelter in the Earth rich with the frames humility of God's memory and reflections. The stars in the sky shivered as they crawled once more up the fantastic ladder and into the void of themselves. They wondered whose turn would be next to fall from the sky as the last ghost of the crew had died and they alone were left to frame Christ's tree and home."
[quote name="Blackclover" date="2023-06-29 16:08:00" ] I've never liked the term "literary fiction". It's broad to the point of meaningless and only really servers to attempt to shoehorn a wealth of literature into a genre, just because such books don't fit into one otherwise. Rambling aside, my favorite author is Thomas Pynchon. [/quote] Yeah I get that, and I'm not exactly sure what the origins of it are, but I know personally I think the term most accurately describes the books I like which are typically rather plotless and are more character studies than anything. I've looked for other terms but this seems to be the one that fits the most :)
Blackclover wrote on 2023-06-29 16:08:00:

Yeah I get that, and I'm not exactly sure what the origins of it are, but I know personally I think the term most accurately describes the books I like which are typically rather plotless and are more character studies than anything. I've looked for other terms but this seems to be the one that fits the most :)
NSZvCod.png
OxagJgG.png
mlHpBMC.png
WvtW9EF.png
I love reading a good book.
I have especially loved Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams and the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini.
I love reading a good book.
I have especially loved Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams and the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini.
Khadgar: "Impetuous imposters imperil important improvements."
King Julien: "I like to move it, move it!"
Thunder! Thunder! THUNDERCATS! HOOO!!
Clan Lore (Clan profile page.) Tree-Bound Subspecies forum thread
[quote name="Narfee" date="2023-06-29 16:34:50" ] [quote name="Blackclover" date="2023-06-29 16:08:00" ] I've never liked the term "literary fiction". It's broad to the point of meaningless and only really servers to attempt to shoehorn a wealth of literature into a genre, just because such books don't fit into one otherwise. Rambling aside, my favorite author is Thomas Pynchon. [/quote] Yeah I get that, and I'm not exactly sure what the origins of it are, but I know personally I think the term most accurately describes the books I like which are typically rather plotless and are more character studies than anything. I've looked for other terms but this seems to be the one that fits the most :) [/quote] If you want to give an accurate, quick description of a work that doesn't fit into a genre the best way to do so is to use country of origin, time period, and if applicable, movement.
Narfee wrote on 2023-06-29 16:34:50:

Yeah I get that, and I'm not exactly sure what the origins of it are, but I know personally I think the term most accurately describes the books I like which are typically rather plotless and are more character studies than anything. I've looked for other terms but this seems to be the one that fits the most :)

If you want to give an accurate, quick description of a work that doesn't fit into a genre the best way to do so is to use country of origin, time period, and if applicable, movement.
"Darkness still fell upon the cliff and the horn of the new moon vanished in the end behind the window of the wall as into a long-feared shelter in the Earth rich with the frames humility of God's memory and reflections. The stars in the sky shivered as they crawled once more up the fantastic ladder and into the void of themselves. They wondered whose turn would be next to fall from the sky as the last ghost of the crew had died and they alone were left to frame Christ's tree and home."
[quote name="Blackclover" date="2023-06-29 17:20:59" ] [quote name="Narfee" date="2023-06-29 16:34:50" ] [quote name="Blackclover" date="2023-06-29 16:08:00" ] I've never liked the term "literary fiction". It's broad to the point of meaningless and only really servers to attempt to shoehorn a wealth of literature into a genre, just because such books don't fit into one otherwise. Rambling aside, my favorite author is Thomas Pynchon. [/quote] Yeah I get that, and I'm not exactly sure what the origins of it are, but I know personally I think the term most accurately describes the books I like which are typically rather plotless and are more character studies than anything. I've looked for other terms but this seems to be the one that fits the most :) [/quote] If you want to give an accurate, quick description of a work that doesn't fit into a genre the best way to do so is to use country of origin, time period, and if applicable, movement. [/quote] Oh, I wasn't talking about any one book in particular ! Just that I have done research in the past and it seems that literary fiction is on a different branch from genre fiction, and the main differences are that with genre fiction there typically tends to be more plot and also appeals to a wider audience, while literary fiction is usually a character study with very little or even no plot at all, and that's why I specify that I like literary fiction since it's a very accurate description of the kind of books I tend to gravitate towards ^^;
Blackclover wrote on 2023-06-29 17:20:59:
Narfee wrote on 2023-06-29 16:34:50:

If you want to give an accurate, quick description of a work that doesn't fit into a genre the best way to do so is to use country of origin, time period, and if applicable, movement.

Oh, I wasn't talking about any one book in particular ! Just that I have done research in the past and it seems that literary fiction is on a different branch from genre fiction, and the main differences are that with genre fiction there typically tends to be more plot and also appeals to a wider audience, while literary fiction is usually a character study with very little or even no plot at all, and that's why I specify that I like literary fiction since it's a very accurate description of the kind of books I tend to gravitate towards ^^;
NSZvCod.png
OxagJgG.png
mlHpBMC.png
WvtW9EF.png
I'm a fantasy-adventure person for the most part, and occasionally dabble in other fantasy subgenres, scifi, animal fiction, and very rarely something else.

my favorite book is Wolfsaga by Kathe Recheis (which as far as I can find is not available in English), and I'm also a big fan of Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan and Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. as for classics, my favorite classics are The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle and NeverEnding Story by Michael Ende.

Tailchaser's Song is the only book on my reading list that I don't own yet. other than that I have... well I have way too many books on my reading list, but my priorities at the moment are Watership Down, a few Doctor Who books, and Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett.
I'm a fantasy-adventure person for the most part, and occasionally dabble in other fantasy subgenres, scifi, animal fiction, and very rarely something else.

my favorite book is Wolfsaga by Kathe Recheis (which as far as I can find is not available in English), and I'm also a big fan of Daughter of the Deep by Rick Riordan and Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. as for classics, my favorite classics are The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle and NeverEnding Story by Michael Ende.

Tailchaser's Song is the only book on my reading list that I don't own yet. other than that I have... well I have way too many books on my reading list, but my priorities at the moment are Watership Down, a few Doctor Who books, and Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett.
Imagining dragons...

Lucky - HxcMlGn.png - JrEJc4j.png
fanfiction writer and chronic daydreamer - uPNWHgD.png

EHXIkb0.png
my favorite genre is space operas!! the crunchier the better. i especially love the Imperial Radch trilogy by Ann Leckie - borrowed the first book last year on a whim, struggled through the first ~30 pages over the course of a week, and then one day i found myself so glued to it that i had almost finished it by evening.

the way it discusses personhood and identity is incredibly tasty, and there's a lot of interesting consideration given to how in-universe fictional languages would be translated into english, which is a topic i'd never even fathomed until i ran into it here. plus, i'm a simple guy, i love a good story about an AI deciding to cause problems on purpose :]
my favorite genre is space operas!! the crunchier the better. i especially love the Imperial Radch trilogy by Ann Leckie - borrowed the first book last year on a whim, struggled through the first ~30 pages over the course of a week, and then one day i found myself so glued to it that i had almost finished it by evening.

the way it discusses personhood and identity is incredibly tasty, and there's a lot of interesting consideration given to how in-universe fictional languages would be translated into english, which is a topic i'd never even fathomed until i ran into it here. plus, i'm a simple guy, i love a good story about an AI deciding to cause problems on purpose :]
dungeon master
I read across the board. Lately I've been in the mood for thrillers. In between genre fiction books I like to shake it up with something literary. I write cozy mysteries so I try to read in that genre for "research," though I think my favorites aren't totally "cozy." Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is a fav of mine, although the early ones especially are a bit dated now.
I read across the board. Lately I've been in the mood for thrillers. In between genre fiction books I like to shake it up with something literary. I write cozy mysteries so I try to read in that genre for "research," though I think my favorites aren't totally "cozy." Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is a fav of mine, although the early ones especially are a bit dated now.
I really like sci-fi and fantasy. I like sci-fi a bit more but I usually lump them together because there can be so much overlap between them. My answers might be a bit basic because I read a lot of popular books in the past but I'm trying to branch out more, especially because a lot of bestsellers these days just aren't peaking my interest currently.

In middle school I was a huuuuge wings of fire fan and I still really like the books to this day even though I haven't read the most recent arc. I just really thought the worldbuilding was cool and how each species of dragon had its own culture. The characters were really likeable too and I loved the trope subversion the first arc did. My favorite book in the series was the Darkstalker one-off and honestly it was so good I never finished the series bc none of the other books could live up to it imo.

Also during that time I was into the YA dystopias that were all the rage and honestly I feel like the Hunger Games still holds up because it was much more nuanced in worldbuilding and character development than the competitors at the time. As a kid I was much more into the story for the characters and the worldbuilding rather than the romance (which honestly wasn't that bad looking back). I just feel like this book gets way too much hate, maybe I've been reading too much of those hunger games appreciation posts on tumblr lol.

Recently I read the Star Wars Heir to the Empire trilogy and I was surprised at how good it was. I honestly just picked it up because I had been playing the recent Lego Star Wars remake and my dad had them on his bookshelf and they were a really fun time! They aren't canon anymore because of the new stuff but I felt like there were just a lot of cool sci-fi ideas in the book in general even for people who aren't obsessive fans over the franchise. Also I just really got this sense reading it that the author had one character in the book they really loved and I just liked that a lot. As someone who writes stories and creates OCs I found it very relatable and I would genuinely let the author infodump about the character to me because he just wrote about them so enthusiastically.

Definitely trying to do more sci-fi reading though because I got very inspired to write a sci-fi story after reading Star Wars. I'm such a dweeb.
I really like sci-fi and fantasy. I like sci-fi a bit more but I usually lump them together because there can be so much overlap between them. My answers might be a bit basic because I read a lot of popular books in the past but I'm trying to branch out more, especially because a lot of bestsellers these days just aren't peaking my interest currently.

In middle school I was a huuuuge wings of fire fan and I still really like the books to this day even though I haven't read the most recent arc. I just really thought the worldbuilding was cool and how each species of dragon had its own culture. The characters were really likeable too and I loved the trope subversion the first arc did. My favorite book in the series was the Darkstalker one-off and honestly it was so good I never finished the series bc none of the other books could live up to it imo.

Also during that time I was into the YA dystopias that were all the rage and honestly I feel like the Hunger Games still holds up because it was much more nuanced in worldbuilding and character development than the competitors at the time. As a kid I was much more into the story for the characters and the worldbuilding rather than the romance (which honestly wasn't that bad looking back). I just feel like this book gets way too much hate, maybe I've been reading too much of those hunger games appreciation posts on tumblr lol.

Recently I read the Star Wars Heir to the Empire trilogy and I was surprised at how good it was. I honestly just picked it up because I had been playing the recent Lego Star Wars remake and my dad had them on his bookshelf and they were a really fun time! They aren't canon anymore because of the new stuff but I felt like there were just a lot of cool sci-fi ideas in the book in general even for people who aren't obsessive fans over the franchise. Also I just really got this sense reading it that the author had one character in the book they really loved and I just liked that a lot. As someone who writes stories and creates OCs I found it very relatable and I would genuinely let the author infodump about the character to me because he just wrote about them so enthusiastically.

Definitely trying to do more sci-fi reading though because I got very inspired to write a sci-fi story after reading Star Wars. I'm such a dweeb.
She/Her 24
Big Dragon Nerd
I only ever get obsessed with media that's at least 10 years old for some reason.
Artist and Writer
1 2 3