Back

Dragon Share

Show off your favorite dragons.
TOPIC | [Subspecies] - Idea/WIP: interest check?
[size=3][color=#4B0082][b]Hi, all! I had a bit of an idea for a subspecies, and just wrote up a little lore to go along with it. I'm not sure if a similar subspecies concept has been presented, but I thought I'd at least share what I've written so far to gauge interest. Please feel free to share any feedback you might have! At any rate...[/b][/color][/size] [quote][font=Century Gothic][size=4]In need of supplies, your clan sent an intrepid dragon to Baldwin’s lab to brew up some alchemical materials. Their infectious excitement at being given such a task, plus Baldwin’s joy (and distraction) at seeing another dragon’s enthusiasm about the alchemical arts led to a problem. They forgot to clean out the cauldron first! Upon Baldwin’s prompts, your emissary began gingerly tossing ingredients into the cauldron. As Baldwin carefully stoked the fire beneath the cauldron, the delegate peered over the rim as the strange mixture began to bubble. However, the dark, tarry goop from previous brews apparently interfered with the mix. As the concoction began to roil, large, dark oily bubbles rose to the surface, bursting audibly and ominously, the bright colors of the added ingredients slowly coalescing into a sludge of a sickly, unpleasant hue. “Oh dear!” Baldwin exclaimed, wringing his forepaws worriedly. “Nothing to be done now except to see how this turns out!” As the blaze beneath the large iron pot began to subside, embers crackling at less frequent intervals (with the occasionally jarring “POP!” of a trapped pocket of moisture in one of the smoldering logs), other sounds began to emerge from the strange elixir. A strange mewling, perhaps? After several tense moments, a gelatinous shape broke the surface. Was that...a claw? Baldwin and your clan’s errant dragon exchanged an uneasy glance. Eventually, breaking the surface of the still simmering muck, a mucilaginous fan-like crest appeared, followed by a tiny boxlike yet gummy head. A long, forked tongue flickered alternatingly in the direction of Baldwin and your clan’s perplexed proxy, tasting the air. As one last bubble of goo popped noisily, breaking the silence, the strange little hatchling gripped the rim of the cauldron in an attempt to scrabble out, casting a loving gaze at both of the flabbergasted dragons just outside the iron confines. Baldwin laughed uneasily, tentatively assisting the sticky little thing in its escape, where it fell to the floor with a greasy plop. The hatchling scrabbled quickly to your clan courier’s side, leaving a trail of oozing footprints in its wake. “It…likes you,” Baldwin chuckled uneasily. “I don’t think you’ll be able to convince it not to follow you back to your lair,” he added, looking at your clan’s agent apprehensively. “I’ll tell you what…this use of the cauldron was free of charge,” he continued, almost apologetically, dropping the handful of coins brought as payment back into your clan representative claws in a clinking pile. “Bring back the ingredients you brought this time, and we’ll get the mix right next time…at no cost,” he offered, as he waddled off towards the cabinet where his cauldron cleaning supplies were kept, muttering frustratedly to himself all the while.[/size][/font][/quote] [color=#000000][size=3][b][u]Basic Requirements:[/u] Breed:[/b] Bogsneak [b]Generation:[/b] Must be G1 due to the nature of the subspecies’ lore (includes breed-changed G1s of other species); alternatively, later generations are allowable under one of two conditions: must be born of a subspecies parent OR could be a breed-changed later generation (maybe the emissary is the one that fell in the cauldron, and was transformed instead!) [b]Primary/Secondary:[/b] Slime/Sludge [b]Primary/Secondary Colors:[/b] Oilslick, Black, or Obsidian [b]Tertiary Genes:[/b] any tertiaries brewable at Baldwin’s cauldron (Capsule, Keel, Scales, Smirch, or Veined); Stained is also allowed! [b]Tertiary Colors:[/b] any [b][u]Examples:[/u][/b] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=70&bodygene=41&breed=14&element=3&eyetype=9&gender=1&tert=47&tertgene=18&winggene=41&wings=70&auth=370041ede826fe6168ca08c984f93cc6a44f310e&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=41&breed=14&element=7&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=117&tertgene=15&winggene=41&wings=10&auth=05a9f88a2a2b1e963a1c03a602121652ca4b506e&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=41&breed=14&element=2&eyetype=12&gender=0&tert=73&tertgene=19&winggene=41&wings=10&auth=e72957beeab6618422f662392e006b5d7e3af655&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=9&bodygene=41&breed=14&element=8&eyetype=4&gender=1&tert=34&tertgene=53&winggene=41&wings=10&auth=45e2a621b79e4db6ed59cd10134ba63f489ca755&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=9&bodygene=41&breed=14&element=2&eyetype=13&gender=1&tert=58&tertgene=38&winggene=41&wings=10&auth=e446831976e6f3d2c9a7785b2d7697c08c31356f&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [size=3][color=#4B0082][b]I'm also working on elemental variants (which may allow for/require different tertiary genes and/or specific colors, "metallic muck" variants, as well as a special "Baldwin's Brood" variant with color ranges close to Baldwin's own colors/the colors in the cauldron content animation). I look forward to hearing any thoughts/suggestions any of you might have![/b][/color][/size]
Hi, all!

I had a bit of an idea for a subspecies, and just wrote up a little lore to go along with it. I'm not sure if a similar subspecies concept has been presented, but I thought I'd at least share what I've written so far to gauge interest. Please feel free to share any feedback you might have! At any rate...

Quote:
In need of supplies, your clan sent an intrepid dragon to Baldwin’s lab to brew up some alchemical materials. Their infectious excitement at being given such a task, plus Baldwin’s joy (and distraction) at seeing another dragon’s enthusiasm about the alchemical arts led to a problem. They forgot to clean out the cauldron first! Upon Baldwin’s prompts, your emissary began gingerly tossing ingredients into the cauldron.

As Baldwin carefully stoked the fire beneath the cauldron, the delegate peered over the rim as the strange mixture began to bubble. However, the dark, tarry goop from previous brews apparently interfered with the mix. As the concoction began to roil, large, dark oily bubbles rose to the surface, bursting audibly and ominously, the bright colors of the added ingredients slowly coalescing into a sludge of a sickly, unpleasant hue.

“Oh dear!” Baldwin exclaimed, wringing his forepaws worriedly. “Nothing to be done now except to see how this turns out!” As the blaze beneath the large iron pot began to subside, embers crackling at less frequent intervals (with the occasionally jarring “POP!” of a trapped pocket of moisture in one of the smoldering logs), other sounds began to emerge from the strange elixir. A strange mewling, perhaps? After several tense moments, a gelatinous shape broke the surface. Was that...a claw?

Baldwin and your clan’s errant dragon exchanged an uneasy glance. Eventually, breaking the surface of the still simmering muck, a mucilaginous fan-like crest appeared, followed by a tiny boxlike yet gummy head. A long, forked tongue flickered alternatingly in the direction of Baldwin and your clan’s perplexed proxy, tasting the air.

As one last bubble of goo popped noisily, breaking the silence, the strange little hatchling gripped the rim of the cauldron in an attempt to scrabble out, casting a loving gaze at both of the flabbergasted dragons just outside the iron confines. Baldwin laughed uneasily, tentatively assisting the sticky little thing in its escape, where it fell to the floor with a greasy plop. The hatchling scrabbled quickly to your clan courier’s side, leaving a trail of oozing footprints in its wake. “It…likes you,” Baldwin chuckled uneasily. “I don’t think you’ll be able to convince it not to follow you back to your lair,” he added, looking at your clan’s agent apprehensively.

“I’ll tell you what…this use of the cauldron was free of charge,” he continued, almost apologetically, dropping the handful of coins brought as payment back into your clan representative claws in a clinking pile. “Bring back the ingredients you brought this time, and we’ll get the mix right next time…at no cost,” he offered, as he waddled off towards the cabinet where his cauldron cleaning supplies were kept, muttering frustratedly to himself all the while.

Basic Requirements:

Breed:
Bogsneak
Generation: Must be G1 due to the nature of the subspecies’ lore (includes breed-changed G1s of other species); alternatively, later generations are allowable under one of two conditions: must be born of a subspecies parent OR could be a breed-changed later generation (maybe the emissary is the one that fell in the cauldron, and was transformed instead!)
Primary/Secondary: Slime/Sludge
Primary/Secondary Colors: Oilslick, Black, or Obsidian
Tertiary Genes: any tertiaries brewable at Baldwin’s cauldron (Capsule, Keel, Scales, Smirch, or Veined); Stained is also allowed!
Tertiary Colors: any

Examples:
dragon?age=0&body=70&bodygene=41&breed=14&element=3&eyetype=9&gender=1&tert=47&tertgene=18&winggene=41&wings=70&auth=370041ede826fe6168ca08c984f93cc6a44f310e&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=41&breed=14&element=7&eyetype=2&gender=1&tert=117&tertgene=15&winggene=41&wings=10&auth=05a9f88a2a2b1e963a1c03a602121652ca4b506e&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=10&bodygene=41&breed=14&element=2&eyetype=12&gender=0&tert=73&tertgene=19&winggene=41&wings=10&auth=e72957beeab6618422f662392e006b5d7e3af655&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=0&body=9&bodygene=41&breed=14&element=8&eyetype=4&gender=1&tert=34&tertgene=53&winggene=41&wings=10&auth=45e2a621b79e4db6ed59cd10134ba63f489ca755&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=9&bodygene=41&breed=14&element=2&eyetype=13&gender=1&tert=58&tertgene=38&winggene=41&wings=10&auth=e446831976e6f3d2c9a7785b2d7697c08c31356f&dummyext=prev.png

I'm also working on elemental variants (which may allow for/require different tertiary genes and/or specific colors, "metallic muck" variants, as well as a special "Baldwin's Brood" variant with color ranges close to Baldwin's own colors/the colors in the cauldron content animation). I look forward to hearing any thoughts/suggestions any of you might have!
13578.png18445.png21372.png21373.png18444.png13579.png
Ooh! I honestly quite like the idea for this so far! Definetly interested if you decide to make it into a actual supspecies!
Ooh! I honestly quite like the idea for this so far! Definetly interested if you decide to make it into a actual supspecies!
Testing! Testing. 123, this thing on?
@ClownSoda Thanks so much! I will definitely keep you posted! I'm also open to any ideas/suggestions you might have regarding fleshing out the subspecies even further.
@ClownSoda Thanks so much! I will definitely keep you posted! I'm also open to any ideas/suggestions you might have regarding fleshing out the subspecies even further.
13578.png18445.png21372.png21373.png18444.png13579.png