Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Is there a pricing guide?
So I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but it seems worth a shot. I've been off for a few years and just recently came back, and when I did, I found I had some treasure saved up. So I went mad and just bought what I wanted at whatever price it was being offered, but I'd like to know if there is an actual guideline somewhere to figure out what dragons may be actually worth. I understand that, for now, the newer dragons are a higher price because there aren't as many flooding the market.

However, are there specific genes that are more rare/valuable than others? Or specific color combos? Or anything at all to help me figure it out? A part of me figures that if there WAS a more coveted gene, it would already have been hoarded and then mass produced, but it at least feels worth asking at the very least!

Thanks!
So I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but it seems worth a shot. I've been off for a few years and just recently came back, and when I did, I found I had some treasure saved up. So I went mad and just bought what I wanted at whatever price it was being offered, but I'd like to know if there is an actual guideline somewhere to figure out what dragons may be actually worth. I understand that, for now, the newer dragons are a higher price because there aren't as many flooding the market.

However, are there specific genes that are more rare/valuable than others? Or specific color combos? Or anything at all to help me figure it out? A part of me figures that if there WAS a more coveted gene, it would already have been hoarded and then mass produced, but it at least feels worth asking at the very least!

Thanks!
@OROKA i do not know any guides, but usually you can get pretty good estimate by looking up similar dragons from auction house.

also dragon pricing is not very clear cut. i can tell from personal experience (as in i was the one doing the buying) that sometimes people are willing to pay a whole bunch to get a dragon with ugly unpopular colors just because its perfect for some project.
@OROKA i do not know any guides, but usually you can get pretty good estimate by looking up similar dragons from auction house.

also dragon pricing is not very clear cut. i can tell from personal experience (as in i was the one doing the buying) that sometimes people are willing to pay a whole bunch to get a dragon with ugly unpopular colors just because its perfect for some project.
horizontal banner that has blue space background, The Arcanist who glows pink, and light pink text that says Thanks Arcanist
Ledi | finland | 10+ fr time | adult | artist & game dev
identity button signifying that user identifies as gayidentity button signifying that user is transgender and uses he pronounsidentity button that signifies that user is autisticidentity button that signifies that user has adhd
Oh, gotcha~ Yeah, that's kind of what I was figuring, but definitely wanted to make sure. Thank you so much for the help! (:
Oh, gotcha~ Yeah, that's kind of what I was figuring, but definitely wanted to make sure. Thank you so much for the help! (:
@OROKA

Dragons are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them.

Okay, that's not helpful.

Part of worth is having a color/gene/breed combo that looks good. Sometimes people run surveys on color/gene popularity; this is the most recent one I could find. You can also see what people are looking for in Find a Dragon, just ignore any overly-specific project threads.

The other thing that convinces people to shell out is rarity. "A part of me figures that if there WAS a more coveted gene, it would already have been hoarded and then mass produced..." You're right on the money here. If everyone is breeding the same overpopular combination, the price drops, no matter how good it looks. This happened a while ago with triples (all three colors the same).

Some dragons are worth a lot not because of how they were intentionally bred, but because of some other rare feature, such as being very old (older than spring 2014), having an interesting ID number, or being hatched from an egg (which randomly generates colors) but still looking nice.

In general you can price things by looking at what similar dragons sold for.

Anyway, this was a long way to say that there is no guide, the market is constantly changing, and you just have to do your best. Hopefully some of that helps you figure out what people are looking for.

Anecdotally, I have decent luck breeding dragons to sell when I focus on matching my flight, as well as combos that are interesting but underbred. Good luck!
@OROKA

Dragons are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them.

Okay, that's not helpful.

Part of worth is having a color/gene/breed combo that looks good. Sometimes people run surveys on color/gene popularity; this is the most recent one I could find. You can also see what people are looking for in Find a Dragon, just ignore any overly-specific project threads.

The other thing that convinces people to shell out is rarity. "A part of me figures that if there WAS a more coveted gene, it would already have been hoarded and then mass produced..." You're right on the money here. If everyone is breeding the same overpopular combination, the price drops, no matter how good it looks. This happened a while ago with triples (all three colors the same).

Some dragons are worth a lot not because of how they were intentionally bred, but because of some other rare feature, such as being very old (older than spring 2014), having an interesting ID number, or being hatched from an egg (which randomly generates colors) but still looking nice.

In general you can price things by looking at what similar dragons sold for.

Anyway, this was a long way to say that there is no guide, the market is constantly changing, and you just have to do your best. Hopefully some of that helps you figure out what people are looking for.

Anecdotally, I have decent luck breeding dragons to sell when I focus on matching my flight, as well as combos that are interesting but underbred. Good luck!
Sorry, I'm not entirely sure how to ping people. I assume @Kasael might work!

Regardless, no, your post makes absolute sense! I honestly felt kind of dumb writing this thread because, well, I definitely assumed dragons are priced on opinions, and no one opinion is the same, and thus, no one person would likely price something the exact same as the next person. You've definitely helped clear my question up! <3

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something since when I made this account a few years ago, it was just for brief fun, but I took nothing seriously and then bailed. But I'd like to try and get more involved, so thanks for taking the time to providing me with those links and your own educated opinion on the matter!

Thank you x100!
Sorry, I'm not entirely sure how to ping people. I assume @Kasael might work!

Regardless, no, your post makes absolute sense! I honestly felt kind of dumb writing this thread because, well, I definitely assumed dragons are priced on opinions, and no one opinion is the same, and thus, no one person would likely price something the exact same as the next person. You've definitely helped clear my question up! <3

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something since when I made this account a few years ago, it was just for brief fun, but I took nothing seriously and then bailed. But I'd like to try and get more involved, so thanks for taking the time to providing me with those links and your own educated opinion on the matter!

Thank you x100!