Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | I Need Bearded Dragon Help!!
On Saturday I'm going to get my bearded dragon. However, the humidity level in my room is 60! That is way over the humidity level that they require! My parents won't let me buy anymore so I can't get anything fancy.
I need a good way to lower the humidity without spending any more money.
Please help. Thank you so much.

On one last note, the tank is a 20 gallon (will be getting a bigger one next year) with a screen lid.
I live in the eastern states of the United States.
On Saturday I'm going to get my bearded dragon. However, the humidity level in my room is 60! That is way over the humidity level that they require! My parents won't let me buy anymore so I can't get anything fancy.
I need a good way to lower the humidity without spending any more money.
Please help. Thank you so much.

On one last note, the tank is a 20 gallon (will be getting a bigger one next year) with a screen lid.
I live in the eastern states of the United States.
not a lizard person (ironically) but i do know ways to deal with humidity... try insulating and/or ventilating. Time to get fans and pool noodles
not a lizard person (ironically) but i do know ways to deal with humidity... try insulating and/or ventilating. Time to get fans and pool noodles
@HazelBirdie Don't worry; the wrong humidity won't kill your Beardie :)
I have a Uromastyx, which requires MUCH lower humidity (20 at most I think) and my room's humidity is similar to yours (I live in the East US too), but she's fine.
There are some household things you can get to help with humidity if you really need it though; like dehumidifiers if you have one.
@HazelBirdie Don't worry; the wrong humidity won't kill your Beardie :)
I have a Uromastyx, which requires MUCH lower humidity (20 at most I think) and my room's humidity is similar to yours (I live in the East US too), but she's fine.
There are some household things you can get to help with humidity if you really need it though; like dehumidifiers if you have one.
waterfull.png
@HazelBirdie

Your basking light will eat humidity so the cage will likely end up with far less humidity than your room. That being said if it is still too high you can get a dehumidifier for the room your beardy is housed in. Just keep in mind if it is in your bedroom this could lead to dry skin and stuff on your end.
@HazelBirdie

Your basking light will eat humidity so the cage will likely end up with far less humidity than your room. That being said if it is still too high you can get a dehumidifier for the room your beardy is housed in. Just keep in mind if it is in your bedroom this could lead to dry skin and stuff on your end.
@HazelBirdie

You defenitely should try to get the humidity out by ventilating right - it also helps preven mold from forming. Ventilating 'right' is covered in 1001 guides everywhere since those mostly airtight windows became standart in building 20 to 30 years ago.

If you allready do so and still have a problem with humidity you can also try Cat litter to remove humidity from a room:
http://www.ehow.com/info_8486610_kitty-litter-absorb-moisture-room.html

Catlitter works well enough in my car and is really cheap in the volume to usage ratio.
@HazelBirdie

You defenitely should try to get the humidity out by ventilating right - it also helps preven mold from forming. Ventilating 'right' is covered in 1001 guides everywhere since those mostly airtight windows became standart in building 20 to 30 years ago.

If you allready do so and still have a problem with humidity you can also try Cat litter to remove humidity from a room:
http://www.ehow.com/info_8486610_kitty-litter-absorb-moisture-room.html

Catlitter works well enough in my car and is really cheap in the volume to usage ratio.
Dehumidifier would be the simplest solution, but they can be quite expensive. Maybe try your local Swap and Sell page on Facebook, Craigslist, or yard sales to see if you can get one cheap.
Dehumidifier would be the simplest solution, but they can be quite expensive. Maybe try your local Swap and Sell page on Facebook, Craigslist, or yard sales to see if you can get one cheap.
snapper_button2.png