Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | whyyyyy
am I afraid to go to sleeppppppppppp

I am very tired but this happens every night! I'm too afraid to go to sleep! I don't know why!

Does this happen to anyone else?
am I afraid to go to sleeppppppppppp

I am very tired but this happens every night! I'm too afraid to go to sleep! I don't know why!

Does this happen to anyone else?
fire_ani.gif
@PumpkinUkulele Well, I personally don't like to go to sleep, but I very much like sleeping.

If you're actually afaid of going to sleep, that doesn't sound very normal or healthy. There's got to be a reason for that though, rational or not, conscious or not.

Ever talked with a therapist about that? Because it's not good if it actually keeps you from getting your much-needed sleep.
@PumpkinUkulele Well, I personally don't like to go to sleep, but I very much like sleeping.

If you're actually afaid of going to sleep, that doesn't sound very normal or healthy. There's got to be a reason for that though, rational or not, conscious or not.

Ever talked with a therapist about that? Because it's not good if it actually keeps you from getting your much-needed sleep.
hPGHvDe.pngjPfUJ3r.png
[LF] Aqua Bellies | [LF]Nature-y Dragons | [ Fandragon Hub ]
CPx59tb.png
@PumpkinUkulele I'm going to agree with @rooty on this one. My younger brother was also afraid to go to sleep a few times. He was eventually diagnosed with two mental illnesses.

It might also be worth thinking about what scares you. You mentioned that you don't know why you're scared, so try looking around first and thinking about it. Is it because of something you hear? Is your room too dark? Or do you read creepypasta every night? (I used to do this sometimes. XD)

If you can't pinpoint a cause, it might be time to ask for professional help. You could get into worse trouble if lack of sleep starts interfering with your health. Good luck, and please take care of yourself!
@PumpkinUkulele I'm going to agree with @rooty on this one. My younger brother was also afraid to go to sleep a few times. He was eventually diagnosed with two mental illnesses.

It might also be worth thinking about what scares you. You mentioned that you don't know why you're scared, so try looking around first and thinking about it. Is it because of something you hear? Is your room too dark? Or do you read creepypasta every night? (I used to do this sometimes. XD)

If you can't pinpoint a cause, it might be time to ask for professional help. You could get into worse trouble if lack of sleep starts interfering with your health. Good luck, and please take care of yourself!
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +15 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@PumpkinUkulele
Oh my gosh, yes. I've had insomnia since I was a kid so sometimes I get nervous around my usual bed time just 'cause I'm worried I won't be able to sleep. I also sometimes have nightmares so I get anxious about sleeping the night after haha.

I have to agree with the others on this aswell; do you think its maybe a subconscious fear? I'd recommend visiting your doctor for sure.
@PumpkinUkulele
Oh my gosh, yes. I've had insomnia since I was a kid so sometimes I get nervous around my usual bed time just 'cause I'm worried I won't be able to sleep. I also sometimes have nightmares so I get anxious about sleeping the night after haha.

I have to agree with the others on this aswell; do you think its maybe a subconscious fear? I'd recommend visiting your doctor for sure.
YAInbwx.gif lynn
any prons | fr +3
toyhou.se | carrd
@PumpkinUkulele that sucks. :c I have issues sleeping too so I know how you feel. It's not healthy though, especially not if you're losing a significant amount of sleep over it. Maybe you have some kind of anxiety? That's what makes it hard for me to sleep. I'll be about to drift off and then I'll start panicking about some insignificant thing - usually a fear that something's going to happen to me while I sleep. Idk. That's just what it makes me think of. Professional help is definitely the way to go with these kinds of things - there's a chance there could be an underlying cause.
@PumpkinUkulele that sucks. :c I have issues sleeping too so I know how you feel. It's not healthy though, especially not if you're losing a significant amount of sleep over it. Maybe you have some kind of anxiety? That's what makes it hard for me to sleep. I'll be about to drift off and then I'll start panicking about some insignificant thing - usually a fear that something's going to happen to me while I sleep. Idk. That's just what it makes me think of. Professional help is definitely the way to go with these kinds of things - there's a chance there could be an underlying cause.
aww that sucks ;3; i some times feel this way so i can sympathize but i would suggest talking to people about it
aww that sucks ;3; i some times feel this way so i can sympathize but i would suggest talking to people about it
I have synesthesia 6kglit91v0.gif
@rooty @Disillusionist @tunamaru @Charias

So I thought long and hard about it and have come to the conclusion that I am terrified of being alone, because up until this point in my life there's always been another person I shared a room with. Now that I have the room all to myself, I get scared and don't want to go to sleep.

Probably because I'm so used to someone snoring or rolling over or having "secret" late night phone conversations that I just subconsciously think somethings gone terribly wrong when I try to go to sleep and it's quiet.

Also I have Depression and Anxiety, so that probably isn't helping.

I've taken to listening to a podcast of some guy droning on and on about Magic: the Gathering, and it does pretty well to help me relax.

@GrumpyCatlover

Yeah, I'm gonna go see a quack. Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg I hate seeing therapists!

But needs must, I suppose. :P
@rooty @Disillusionist @tunamaru @Charias

So I thought long and hard about it and have come to the conclusion that I am terrified of being alone, because up until this point in my life there's always been another person I shared a room with. Now that I have the room all to myself, I get scared and don't want to go to sleep.

Probably because I'm so used to someone snoring or rolling over or having "secret" late night phone conversations that I just subconsciously think somethings gone terribly wrong when I try to go to sleep and it's quiet.

Also I have Depression and Anxiety, so that probably isn't helping.

I've taken to listening to a podcast of some guy droning on and on about Magic: the Gathering, and it does pretty well to help me relax.

@GrumpyCatlover

Yeah, I'm gonna go see a quack. Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg I hate seeing therapists!

But needs must, I suppose. :P
fire_ani.gif
@Pumpkinukulele I used to be terrified of going to sleep. My temporary suggestions, beyond the solutions the others offered, are three things that I have used to help myself.

1. Pillows. I sleep with three pillows: one for my head, one between my legs, and one against my back. This sort of tricks you into subconsciously thinking someone else is there, or that your back is protected.

2. Music. Your podcast idea is also good. I have several playlists that I listen to when I'm going to bed. Just make sure they are long enough that you are properly asleep by the time they are over.

3. Lights. Supposedly, this makes you sleep more restlessly, but for me, it helps me get any sleep at all. I actually have a small lamp that I keep on all night, though I usually mute the glow. Also really useful are Christmas lights, which are bright enough to to suggest the walls of your room, but dim enough to not hurt your eyes.

Also, I didn't include this in my list, but I thought I'd mention it. I like to recite bible passages to myself, mentally, or if it's really bad, aloud. I am a Christian, and I recognize that you likely do not subscribe to my religious beliefs, but personally, as a believer, I find it incredibly comforting to know that I can get through this with a little bit of aid. My go-to is 2 Timothy 1:7, which reads, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind," from the King James Version.

I hope this helps, or someone else's suggestion does :3 Sleep well!
@Pumpkinukulele I used to be terrified of going to sleep. My temporary suggestions, beyond the solutions the others offered, are three things that I have used to help myself.

1. Pillows. I sleep with three pillows: one for my head, one between my legs, and one against my back. This sort of tricks you into subconsciously thinking someone else is there, or that your back is protected.

2. Music. Your podcast idea is also good. I have several playlists that I listen to when I'm going to bed. Just make sure they are long enough that you are properly asleep by the time they are over.

3. Lights. Supposedly, this makes you sleep more restlessly, but for me, it helps me get any sleep at all. I actually have a small lamp that I keep on all night, though I usually mute the glow. Also really useful are Christmas lights, which are bright enough to to suggest the walls of your room, but dim enough to not hurt your eyes.

Also, I didn't include this in my list, but I thought I'd mention it. I like to recite bible passages to myself, mentally, or if it's really bad, aloud. I am a Christian, and I recognize that you likely do not subscribe to my religious beliefs, but personally, as a believer, I find it incredibly comforting to know that I can get through this with a little bit of aid. My go-to is 2 Timothy 1:7, which reads, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind," from the King James Version.

I hope this helps, or someone else's suggestion does :3 Sleep well!
Caught between the mundanely awkward and the existentially impossible.
-Alice Isn't Dead, Part 2, chapter 4, 11:55

@PumpkinUkulele Oooohh. Yeah, that makes sense. When I was younger, my family and I rented small houses and had to cram ourselves into one room, so when we finally bought a larger house I couldn't get used to being alone in my bedroom. But I can sleep well there now.

White noise helped me sleep a lot easier: an electric fan, or an air conditioner, or both at the same time. I've heard that there are white noise machines for sale, but I dunno how much they cost.

Probably better to go to a therapist or sleep clinic beforehand, though, since you've been diagnosed already. (My brother has depression, too.) Once again, good luck and take care!
@PumpkinUkulele Oooohh. Yeah, that makes sense. When I was younger, my family and I rented small houses and had to cram ourselves into one room, so when we finally bought a larger house I couldn't get used to being alone in my bedroom. But I can sleep well there now.

White noise helped me sleep a lot easier: an electric fan, or an air conditioner, or both at the same time. I've heard that there are white noise machines for sale, but I dunno how much they cost.

Probably better to go to a therapist or sleep clinic beforehand, though, since you've been diagnosed already. (My brother has depression, too.) Once again, good luck and take care!
Disillusionist's Lore & More .. {Free} bio resourcesLF Affiliates
female / INTJ / Capricorn / +15 FR time
Clan: FAQ | Stats | Lore Thread | Directory | Avatar
Wishlists: outfits & genes | general | familiars
Please check the spelling of my name when pinging me: @Disillusionist. Thanks!
@PumpkinUkulele I have a trick that might help you... it's not as good as seeing a psychologist of course but it might help you get some sleep at least.

When you're in bed (or thinking about going to bed) pay attention to your physical body. All mental tensions have their physical counterparts. Do you feel a knot in your stomach? Does your throat tense up? Does it make you want to grimace? Keep not eof that, and then actively try to relax that specific area. Just pay attention to it and watch what it does. If you manage to release some of the physical tension, some of the emotional tension should release as well.
@PumpkinUkulele I have a trick that might help you... it's not as good as seeing a psychologist of course but it might help you get some sleep at least.

When you're in bed (or thinking about going to bed) pay attention to your physical body. All mental tensions have their physical counterparts. Do you feel a knot in your stomach? Does your throat tense up? Does it make you want to grimace? Keep not eof that, and then actively try to relax that specific area. Just pay attention to it and watch what it does. If you manage to release some of the physical tension, some of the emotional tension should release as well.