Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Method for getting specific colors/genes
Ok so, I've got a few "Dream Dragons" I'd like to try to breed for, but I'm not sure exactly where to start?

I don't have a lot of money to pour into buying exactly the right colored dragons, so is there a good method/guide out there that could help me breed and narrow down my color range and genes until it's what I want?

Any tips would be helpful...
Ok so, I've got a few "Dream Dragons" I'd like to try to breed for, but I'm not sure exactly where to start?

I don't have a lot of money to pour into buying exactly the right colored dragons, so is there a good method/guide out there that could help me breed and narrow down my color range and genes until it's what I want?

Any tips would be helpful...
@Thyn

Well, the best method is to find parents with small color ranges and breed them. You can also post in Dragons Wanted forum about the dragons you would like to get and see if anyone can help with that.
@Thyn

Well, the best method is to find parents with small color ranges and breed them. You can also post in Dragons Wanted forum about the dragons you would like to get and see if anyone can help with that.
+10 FR T
IKTR: while I do have a fandragon tab my whole lair is filled with refs
hRysX66.png
@Thyn

I'm pretty new to breeding and FR in general but I hope I can help! As far as on-site guides and tools go, I found that this http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1439651 is good to reference if you need to check some basic stuff. Scrying Workshop can be helpful too. If you want to foresee progeny with a dragon that hasn't been born yet (helpful in those projects that may take a while or go through multiple generations) then try using the Dragon Search to find a clone of that dragon if it exists.

Sometimes it gets weird because colors don't go where you think they do. It's important to reference the color wheel if you're not sure. Also, if I am trying to pass down a certain gene I will think about gene rarity. Circuit is nice to have on breeding project dragons because it is cheap and pretty common but very rare in terms of how often it will pop up in hatchlings. So unless your end goal is a dragon with Glimmer, the only tertiary gene of comparable rarity, it's a good way to ensure you get the tert you want.

Wildclaws and Coatls are comparable in that their rarity means they can help you get the species you want. For example, if I'm trying to hatch a certain Imperial, I will prefer to use a Wildclaw/Imperial or Coatl/Imperial pair if I can't find another Imperial that's suitable. Even if there's a perfect Fae out there that can get me a dragon with the colors and genes I want, the chance of having undesired Faes is just too high because Faes are way more common than Imperials. Unfortunately, there is a drawback because Coatls and Wildclaws do have a long breeding cooldown.

TL;DR Keep in mind narrow color ranges, gene rarity, and breed rarity.
@Thyn

I'm pretty new to breeding and FR in general but I hope I can help! As far as on-site guides and tools go, I found that this http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/1439651 is good to reference if you need to check some basic stuff. Scrying Workshop can be helpful too. If you want to foresee progeny with a dragon that hasn't been born yet (helpful in those projects that may take a while or go through multiple generations) then try using the Dragon Search to find a clone of that dragon if it exists.

Sometimes it gets weird because colors don't go where you think they do. It's important to reference the color wheel if you're not sure. Also, if I am trying to pass down a certain gene I will think about gene rarity. Circuit is nice to have on breeding project dragons because it is cheap and pretty common but very rare in terms of how often it will pop up in hatchlings. So unless your end goal is a dragon with Glimmer, the only tertiary gene of comparable rarity, it's a good way to ensure you get the tert you want.

Wildclaws and Coatls are comparable in that their rarity means they can help you get the species you want. For example, if I'm trying to hatch a certain Imperial, I will prefer to use a Wildclaw/Imperial or Coatl/Imperial pair if I can't find another Imperial that's suitable. Even if there's a perfect Fae out there that can get me a dragon with the colors and genes I want, the chance of having undesired Faes is just too high because Faes are way more common than Imperials. Unfortunately, there is a drawback because Coatls and Wildclaws do have a long breeding cooldown.

TL;DR Keep in mind narrow color ranges, gene rarity, and breed rarity.
8ZHLRVU.png

ELPHAEL
...he/they...
FR time + 3
I6jEjhp.png x OHvqVtK.png

TLcyt8d.png
@Aava @Aldia

Thanks! That's a lot of info. I generally know how breeding works I just... wasn't sure if there was a trick to it that would get it done in the fewest generations/least amount of money possible. Like if I should try to just get the color right first and then gene them or what...

The way I earn money it's really hard gene-ing dragons from scratch. @.@;;;; I only just recently got my Progen's genes finished and I joined at launch.
@Aava @Aldia

Thanks! That's a lot of info. I generally know how breeding works I just... wasn't sure if there was a trick to it that would get it done in the fewest generations/least amount of money possible. Like if I should try to just get the color right first and then gene them or what...

The way I earn money it's really hard gene-ing dragons from scratch. @.@;;;; I only just recently got my Progen's genes finished and I joined at launch.