Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Breeding Dragons for Newbies [2.0]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
[center][u][b]Welcome![/b][/u] [size=7] New thread [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2090032]HERE[/url]! [/size] [b]If you have a question, please ping me! Don't know how? Just copy and paste @Chaoschild23 into your post and I'll see it! Thank you![/b][/center] [i][b]Updated 11.11.14:[/b] Added in Nesting, Scrolls, and placed Iridescent and Shimmer in the Rare tier[/i] [i][b]Updated 12.14.14:[/b] Added Assay Bloodlines information and Facet Gene[/i] [i][b]Updated 12.22.14:[/b] Added in Nocturnes and cycled out breed changes[/i] [i][b]Updated 1.9.15:[/b] Added in the Okapi tertiary gene[/i] [i][b]Updated 3.30.15:[/b] Added in the Vipera and Hypnotic Genes. [b]Updated 5.21.15:[/b] Added some FAQ info and edited some nest images. [b]Updated 8.9.15:[/b] Added Glimmer and Awaiting Paint/Pied tiers. [b]Updated 10.2.15: [/b]Added tiers for new genes and updated breeding rarity guide [b]Updated 10.3.15:[/b] Added Cherub Tier [b]Updated 10.25.15:[/b] Added Poison/Toxin Tiers [b]Updated 1.18.16:[/b] Added Butterfly and Thylacine Tiers and updated nest pictures [b]Updated 2.7.16:[/b] Added Stained Tier and gene nicknames [b]Updated 3.11.16:[/b] Added Giraffe and Hex Tiers[/i] This is a thread designed to convey all the information of breeding dragons to you in the simplest way possible. It will also contain tips and tricks for hatcheries and breeding projects as well. [size=4][b]Getting Started[/b][/size] ----- Get your dragons. Easy enough. But how will you know what dragons are compatible with each other? Different dragons have different cooldowns, so which dragons are good with each other? This all has to do with the dragon "Rarity". [b]Plentiful: [/b] [b]They have the shortest cooldown of 15 days.[/b] These are also known as "starter dragons", as these breeds are given to you at the beginning of the game. [LIST] [*]Mirror [*]Tundra [*]Fae [*]Guardian [/LIST] [b]Common: These dragons have a cooldown of 20 days[/b] [LIST] [*]Pearlcatcher (PC) [*]Ridgeback (RB) [*]Snapper [*]Spiral (Noodles) [/LIST] [b]Uncommon: These dragons have a cooldown of 25 days[/b] [LIST] [*]Skydancer (SD) [/LIST] [b]Limited: These dragons have a cooldown of 30 days[/b] [LIST] [*]Imperial (Imp) [*]Nocturne [/LIST] [b]Rare: These dragons have a cooldown of 35 days[/b] [LIST] [*]Coatl [*]Wildclaw (WC) [/LIST] [center][b] Cooldowns aside, what does this mean to you?[/b][/center] The rarities also determine what kind of dragon you will get out of breeding. If you breed two plentifuls, say a Mirror and a Tundra, you will have a 50% chance of getting either a Mirror or a Tundra hatchling. However, if you breed a plentiful and a common dragon, say a Guardian and a Pearlcatcher, you have a slightly higher chance of getting a Guardian than a Pearlcatcher. If you breed a plentiful and a rare dragon, though, say a Fae and a Wildclaw, there is almost a 100% chance you will get a Fae. [b]Remember! You can only breed dragons that are above 5 generations away from a common ancestor, if there is one![/b] I've had several breeding projects thwarted by common ancestors, so make sure to use the Assay Bloodlines in the Scrying Workshop to make sure your dragons are compatible before spending money on them. [center][b] The same concept applies to genes.[/b][/center] To put it simply, Primary genes affect only the body of the dragon. Secondary genes only affect the wings and accents like tail fur, head feathers, occasionally horns, etc.. Tertiary Genes affect the entirety of the dragon on most occasions, save for Underbelly, which only affects the underbelly of the dragon. Basic genes means that there is no visible gene there. [b]Plentiful:[/b] [LIST] [*]Primary | Basic [*]Secondary | Basic [*]Tertiary | Basic [/LIST] [b]Common: [/b] [LIST] [*]Primary | Clown, Speckle {Speck}, Tiger, Piebald {Pie} [*]Secondary | Current {Curr}, Eyespots, Freckle {Freck}, Stripes, Daub, Peregrine {Pere}, Paint [*]Tertiary | Underbelly {Belly}, Thylacine [/LIST] [b]Uncommon:[/b] [LIST] [*]Primary | Ripple {Rip}, Bar, Vipera {Vip}, Cherub, Giraffe [*]Secondary | Seraph, Hypnotic, Hex [*]Tertiary | Smoke, Crackle {Crack}, Okapi [/LIST] [b]Limited:[/b] [LIST] [*]Primary | Poison {Poi} [*]Secondary | Toxin {Tox} [*]Tertiary | Gembond {Gem}, Spines [/LIST] [b]Rare:[/b] [LIST] [*]Primary | Iridescent {Iri}, Crystal {Cry} [*]Secondary | Shimmer {Shim}, Facet {Face}. Butterfly [*]Tertiary | Circuit, Glimmer {Glim}, Stained [/LIST] Depending on what genes you like/want to breed/want to sell, you can figure out how to get the outcomes you want from the information above. Now onto another important breeding tool... [size=4][b]Colors[/b][/size] ----- [img]http://media.tumblr.com/0c479101468110de134934fad5469a62/tumblr_inline_mmmw9uTdZh1r0vr4u.jpg[/img] [b]This is the most important thing you will need while breeding dragons.[/b] This is the Flight Rising Color Chart. Just about any color outcome between the dragons you breed will be on this chart. In case it isn't too clear on how to use it, I'll explain how. The range of your dragons will always cover the shortest distance of colors, so if you have a dragon with a Magenta primary (#65) and another dragon with a Rust primary (#57), then the colors labeled #57- #65 on the chart are all possible color outcomes. [b]Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary colors affect only the colors of the same name. Primary affects Primary and so on. [/b] [size=4][b]Nesting[/b][/size] ----- So you've now got your perfect pair together using the information above! Congratulations! Now you've got to nest them. Each flight has a different nest art and provides a different eye color for the dragons hatched there. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/1/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Earth Nest | Brown Eyes[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/2/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Plague Nest | Red Eyes[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/4/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Water Nest | Blue Eyes[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/3/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Wind Nest | Light Green Eyes[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/5/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Lightning Nest | Teal Eyes[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/6/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Ice Nest | White Eyes[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/7/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Shadow Nest | Purple Eyes[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/8/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Light Nest | Yellow Eyes[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/9/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Arcane Nest | Pink Eyes[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/10/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Nature Nest | Green Eyes[/b] [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/11/0healthy_0dead.png[/img] [b]Fire Nest | Orange Eyes[/b] [/center] Now, of course, you can use your own nests at your own will, but if you have a pair that you want matching eyes for, you can find a [u]nesting service[/u]! [b]A nesting service is basically what the title says; you send your dragons over and they breed them for you so the hatchlings have the eye color of their nest.[/b] Most of these services require payment, but if you search the Dragon Trades forum, you can usually find a few that work for free, however they may only supply one or two flights that may not be the one you need. Now that you've figured out what nest to put your dragons in, there is a chance for 1-5 eggs from your pair. [b]1 Egg[/b]: This is shameful. Put your dragons in a tunic of shame. [b]2 Eggs[/b]: Lower than average, but still a decent amount of eggs. If you're sharing the nest, you can split the eggs evenly! [b]3 Eggs[/b]: The average amount of eggs you can get. [b]4 Eggs[/b]: Above average! Give your dragons a pat on the back for doing so well! [b]5 Eggs[/b]: Can only be achieved with dragons of two different breeds. Extra snacks for the dragons that produced this amount. [b]Eggs hatch in 6 days[/b] if you incubate them every day. 5 days of incubation and 1 day for hatching! The days are counted in between the site's rollover, so you don't actually have to wait 24 hours between button clicks. [i][b]However, if you don't have room for the babies, you cannot hatch them! [/b][/i]Nothing bad will happen to them, as egg rot was disabled long ago, so you can potentially keep them in the nest for as long as you want. [size=4][b]Changing Things[/b][/size] ----- I'm sure you've heard of [b]Breed Change Scrolls[/b] and [b]Gene Scrolls[/b] by now. Here's how they work. Both can be purchased in the Marketplace and the genes and breeds on the "Rare" tier are stocked in the Gem Marketplace. [b]Imperials and Wildclaws cannot be bought![/b] Wildclaws were cycled out of the Gem Marketplace and Imperials were a KickStarter reward. Everything else can be found within the Marketplace. You must be diligent, though, as the Treasure Marketplace runs out of scrolls as they are bought up. Once you've bought your Breed Change Scroll, you can only apply it to your dragon when it is RTB, as the cooldown won't change. [b]There are 3 kinds of dragons that you cannot commonly get breed change scrolls for.[/b] [b]Wildclaws[/b] (Gem Breed; Cycled Out), [b]Imperials[/b] (KickStarter Gift Thing), and [b]Nocturnes[/b] (Holiday Item Only). Gene scrolls can be applied while your dragon is on cooldown, but if they are on a nest at the time, the hatchlings will not have that gene passed down. [b]When applying any scroll, make sure your dragon is not wearing apparel or a skin or accent, as this can prevent the scroll from applying properly. [/b] [b]Once a scroll is applied, it doesn't go away.[/b] The breed or gene will stay that way until you buy another scroll to change it again! [b]And that's about it. Those are the basics for breeding dragons. Resources for building hatcheries and such will be below.[/b] [size=4][b]References[/b][/size] ----- [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=1057887&p=mb]Newbie Guide to Dragons[/url] [url=http://fr.fintastic.net/]Color Predictor[/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=1123974&p=mb]Breeding Rarity Comparisons[/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=968221&p=mb] How to Make a Hactchery[/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=gde&id=1192573&p=mb]How to Link to A Specific Post[/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=frd&id=1173347&page=1]The Big Nest Rental Topic[/url][i][/i][i][/i]
Welcome!

New thread HERE!

If you have a question, please ping me! Don't know how? Just copy and paste @Chaoschild23 into your post and I'll see it! Thank you!

Updated 11.11.14: Added in Nesting, Scrolls, and placed Iridescent and Shimmer in the Rare tier
Updated 12.14.14: Added Assay Bloodlines information and Facet Gene
Updated 12.22.14: Added in Nocturnes and cycled out breed changes
Updated 1.9.15: Added in the Okapi tertiary gene
Updated 3.30.15: Added in the Vipera and Hypnotic Genes.
Updated 5.21.15: Added some FAQ info and edited some nest images.
Updated 8.9.15: Added Glimmer and Awaiting Paint/Pied tiers.
Updated 10.2.15: Added tiers for new genes and updated breeding rarity guide
Updated 10.3.15: Added Cherub Tier
Updated 10.25.15: Added Poison/Toxin Tiers
Updated 1.18.16: Added Butterfly and Thylacine Tiers and updated nest pictures
Updated 2.7.16: Added Stained Tier and gene nicknames
Updated 3.11.16: Added Giraffe and Hex Tiers

This is a thread designed to convey all the information of breeding dragons to you in the simplest way possible. It will also contain tips and tricks for hatcheries and breeding projects as well.

Getting Started

Get your dragons. Easy enough. But how will you know what dragons are compatible with each other? Different dragons have different cooldowns, so which dragons are good with each other? This all has to do with the dragon "Rarity".

Plentiful: They have the shortest cooldown of 15 days. These are also known as "starter dragons", as these breeds are given to you at the beginning of the game.
  • Mirror
  • Tundra
  • Fae
  • Guardian
Common: These dragons have a cooldown of 20 days
  • Pearlcatcher (PC)
  • Ridgeback (RB)
  • Snapper
  • Spiral (Noodles)
Uncommon: These dragons have a cooldown of 25 days
  • Skydancer (SD)
Limited: These dragons have a cooldown of 30 days
  • Imperial (Imp)
  • Nocturne
Rare: These dragons have a cooldown of 35 days
  • Coatl
  • Wildclaw (WC)

Cooldowns aside, what does this mean to you?
The rarities also determine what kind of dragon you will get out of breeding. If you breed two plentifuls, say a Mirror and a Tundra, you will have a 50% chance of getting either a Mirror or a Tundra hatchling. However, if you breed a plentiful and a common dragon, say a Guardian and a Pearlcatcher, you have a slightly higher chance of getting a Guardian than a Pearlcatcher. If you breed a plentiful and a rare dragon, though, say a Fae and a Wildclaw, there is almost a 100% chance you will get a Fae. Remember! You can only breed dragons that are above 5 generations away from a common ancestor, if there is one! I've had several breeding projects thwarted by common ancestors, so make sure to use the Assay Bloodlines in the Scrying Workshop to make sure your dragons are compatible before spending money on them.

The same concept applies to genes.
To put it simply, Primary genes affect only the body of the dragon. Secondary genes only affect the wings and accents like tail fur, head feathers, occasionally horns, etc.. Tertiary Genes affect the entirety of the dragon on most occasions, save for Underbelly, which only affects the underbelly of the dragon. Basic genes means that there is no visible gene there.

Plentiful:
  • Primary | Basic
  • Secondary | Basic
  • Tertiary | Basic

Common:
  • Primary | Clown, Speckle {Speck}, Tiger, Piebald {Pie}
  • Secondary | Current {Curr}, Eyespots, Freckle {Freck}, Stripes, Daub, Peregrine {Pere}, Paint
  • Tertiary | Underbelly {Belly}, Thylacine

Uncommon:
  • Primary | Ripple {Rip}, Bar, Vipera {Vip}, Cherub, Giraffe
  • Secondary | Seraph, Hypnotic, Hex
  • Tertiary | Smoke, Crackle {Crack}, Okapi

Limited:
  • Primary | Poison {Poi}
  • Secondary | Toxin {Tox}
  • Tertiary | Gembond {Gem}, Spines

Rare:
  • Primary | Iridescent {Iri}, Crystal {Cry}
  • Secondary | Shimmer {Shim}, Facet {Face}. Butterfly
  • Tertiary | Circuit, Glimmer {Glim}, Stained

Depending on what genes you like/want to breed/want to sell, you can figure out how to get the outcomes you want from the information above. Now onto another important breeding tool...

Colors

tumblr_inline_mmmw9uTdZh1r0vr4u.jpg

This is the most important thing you will need while breeding dragons. This is the Flight Rising Color Chart. Just about any color outcome between the dragons you breed will be on this chart. In case it isn't too clear on how to use it, I'll explain how.

The range of your dragons will always cover the shortest distance of colors, so if you have a dragon with a Magenta primary (#65) and another dragon with a Rust primary (#57), then the colors labeled #57- #65 on the chart are all possible color outcomes.

Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary colors affect only the colors of the same name. Primary affects Primary and so on.

Nesting
So you've now got your perfect pair together using the information above! Congratulations! Now you've got to nest them. Each flight has a different nest art and provides a different eye color for the dragons hatched there.
0healthy_0dead.png
Earth Nest | Brown Eyes

0healthy_0dead.png
Plague Nest | Red Eyes

0healthy_0dead.png
Water Nest | Blue Eyes

0healthy_0dead.png
Wind Nest | Light Green Eyes

0healthy_0dead.png
Lightning Nest | Teal Eyes

0healthy_0dead.png
Ice Nest | White Eyes

0healthy_0dead.png
Shadow Nest | Purple Eyes

0healthy_0dead.png
Light Nest | Yellow Eyes

0healthy_0dead.png
Arcane Nest | Pink Eyes

0healthy_0dead.png
Nature Nest | Green Eyes

0healthy_0dead.png
Fire Nest | Orange Eyes

Now, of course, you can use your own nests at your own will, but if you have a pair that you want matching eyes for, you can find a nesting service! A nesting service is basically what the title says; you send your dragons over and they breed them for you so the hatchlings have the eye color of their nest. Most of these services require payment, but if you search the Dragon Trades forum, you can usually find a few that work for free, however they may only supply one or two flights that may not be the one you need.

Now that you've figured out what nest to put your dragons in, there is a chance for 1-5 eggs from your pair.

1 Egg: This is shameful. Put your dragons in a tunic of shame.
2 Eggs: Lower than average, but still a decent amount of eggs. If you're sharing the nest, you can split the eggs evenly!
3 Eggs: The average amount of eggs you can get.
4 Eggs: Above average! Give your dragons a pat on the back for doing so well!
5 Eggs: Can only be achieved with dragons of two different breeds. Extra snacks for the dragons that produced this amount.

Eggs hatch in 6 days if you incubate them every day. 5 days of incubation and 1 day for hatching! The days are counted in between the site's rollover, so you don't actually have to wait 24 hours between button clicks.

However, if you don't have room for the babies, you cannot hatch them! Nothing bad will happen to them, as egg rot was disabled long ago, so you can potentially keep them in the nest for as long as you want.

Changing Things
I'm sure you've heard of Breed Change Scrolls and Gene Scrolls by now. Here's how they work.

Both can be purchased in the Marketplace and the genes and breeds on the "Rare" tier are stocked in the Gem Marketplace. Imperials and Wildclaws cannot be bought! Wildclaws were cycled out of the Gem Marketplace and Imperials were a KickStarter reward. Everything else can be found within the Marketplace. You must be diligent, though, as the Treasure Marketplace runs out of scrolls as they are bought up.

Once you've bought your Breed Change Scroll, you can only apply it to your dragon when it is RTB, as the cooldown won't change. There are 3 kinds of dragons that you cannot commonly get breed change scrolls for. Wildclaws (Gem Breed; Cycled Out), Imperials (KickStarter Gift Thing), and Nocturnes (Holiday Item Only). Gene scrolls can be applied while your dragon is on cooldown, but if they are on a nest at the time, the hatchlings will not have that gene passed down.

When applying any scroll, make sure your dragon is not wearing apparel or a skin or accent, as this can prevent the scroll from applying properly.

Once a scroll is applied, it doesn't go away. The breed or gene will stay that way until you buy another scroll to change it again!

And that's about it. Those are the basics for breeding dragons. Resources for building hatcheries and such will be below.

References

Newbie Guide to Dragons
Color Predictor
Breeding Rarity Comparisons

How to Make a Hactchery

How to Link to A Specific Post
The Big Nest Rental Topic
FooterAds.gif
Reserved
Reserved
FooterAds.gif
Reserved
Reserved
FooterAds.gif
Reserved
Reserved
FooterAds.gif
And Open!
And Open!
FooterAds.gif
@Chaoschild23 Thanks for making this post! I've learnt loads already. One thing I'm not sure on though, do the breed / gene change scrolls permanently affect your dragons? Could I take my starter Guardian, apply a gene change scroll and end up with a Guardian with a non basic primary gene? This sounds like such a silly question but I've heard very little about the scrolls!
@Chaoschild23 Thanks for making this post! I've learnt loads already. One thing I'm not sure on though, do the breed / gene change scrolls permanently affect your dragons? Could I take my starter Guardian, apply a gene change scroll and end up with a Guardian with a non basic primary gene? This sounds like such a silly question but I've heard very little about the scrolls!
@charmedward

Yep! That's the idea behind scrolls. When you buy a gene and apply it to a dragon, the dragon will have that gene or be that breed forever unless you decide to change said gene/breed, at which point another scroll would have to be bought.
@charmedward

Yep! That's the idea behind scrolls. When you buy a gene and apply it to a dragon, the dragon will have that gene or be that breed forever unless you decide to change said gene/breed, at which point another scroll would have to be bought.
FooterAds.gif
interesting, but how long does it take for your hatchling to grow into an adult?
interesting, but how long does it take for your hatchling to grow into an adult?
Thanks for this!
Thanks for this!
@Chaoschild23
Thank you!

@Feels Oh I know this :D 5 days, though sometimes the site may glitch a little & take six or seven
@Chaoschild23
Thank you!

@Feels Oh I know this :D 5 days, though sometimes the site may glitch a little & take six or seven
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14