Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | On MVP Selection
[quote name="Valkaryss" date="2015-01-24 09:05:13"]Am I totally alone in just...not really caring? I mean, it's a nice little gesture by the admins, but it seems to me that it would just be kind of a cool surprise to log in and see that someone noticed you being helpful and decided to give you some sort of visual reward. I guess I just don't understand why knowing exactly what qualifies someone for it is such a big deal.[/quote] No, this doesn't affect gameplay at all, it's a nice little reward for people who are doing good things. Also, MVP is fine by me. Some of the other suggestions strike me as rather like Kindergarten, where all the kids must be treated equally. Players that contribute more, are more valuable and I don't see why that shouldn't be recognized. Most Americans have at least a passing knowledge of sports, and the concept of MVP from that; even I do, and I don't even watch the championship games.
Valkaryss wrote on 2015-01-24 09:05:13:
Am I totally alone in just...not really caring? I mean, it's a nice little gesture by the admins, but it seems to me that it would just be kind of a cool surprise to log in and see that someone noticed you being helpful and decided to give you some sort of visual reward.

I guess I just don't understand why knowing exactly what qualifies someone for it is such a big deal.

No, this doesn't affect gameplay at all, it's a nice little reward for people who are doing good things.

Also, MVP is fine by me. Some of the other suggestions strike me as rather like Kindergarten, where all the kids must be treated equally. Players that contribute more, are more valuable and I don't see why that shouldn't be recognized. Most Americans have at least a passing knowledge of sports, and the concept of MVP from that; even I do, and I don't even watch the championship games.
177499lightofknowledge2.png
First off, @Lightning Thank you for understanding what some of us mean by it having no matter at all in what name it got. I might be biased because I think if you get the MVP title on any forum, you in general earned it well and having recognition isn't bad and also it don't "devalue" anyone, it's just rather odd in lack of better words to get upset about that name.

Hardly are the players being fair with the naming of the MVP title. MVP have been around for years on end and isn't a new idea of the flight rising staff, they took a name I guess that already is established among many forums.
I guess a name change can be in order if people take offence to such a thing but it's hardly the fault of the staff to think the members of flight rising would be okay with a MVP title since other forums aren't bothered with it.
First off, @Lightning Thank you for understanding what some of us mean by it having no matter at all in what name it got. I might be biased because I think if you get the MVP title on any forum, you in general earned it well and having recognition isn't bad and also it don't "devalue" anyone, it's just rather odd in lack of better words to get upset about that name.

Hardly are the players being fair with the naming of the MVP title. MVP have been around for years on end and isn't a new idea of the flight rising staff, they took a name I guess that already is established among many forums.
I guess a name change can be in order if people take offence to such a thing but it's hardly the fault of the staff to think the members of flight rising would be okay with a MVP title since other forums aren't bothered with it.
sig.png
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but can we nominate and suggest MVP awards being handed to our community organizers and such? There's a number of people in my flight, and all the others, I am sure, that put a lot of effort into putting things together and helping everyone else out in our collective efforts. They may not always engage in debate, but they are certainly valuable to many of us.
I'm not sure if this has been asked, but can we nominate and suggest MVP awards being handed to our community organizers and such? There's a number of people in my flight, and all the others, I am sure, that put a lot of effort into putting things together and helping everyone else out in our collective efforts. They may not always engage in debate, but they are certainly valuable to many of us.
iK0jgh4.png
Hmmm...so I see two sets of concerns - one about favouritism from the admins/mods. and one about more well-known players. How about using a 'rate how constructive this is' captcha for people who are posting too fast?

The thing in question would be a post with all the identifying information stripped out of course. Then MVP status could be awarded to anyone with a certain amount of 'ooh, helpful' points within a certain timeframe?
Hmmm...so I see two sets of concerns - one about favouritism from the admins/mods. and one about more well-known players. How about using a 'rate how constructive this is' captcha for people who are posting too fast?

The thing in question would be a post with all the identifying information stripped out of course. Then MVP status could be awarded to anyone with a certain amount of 'ooh, helpful' points within a certain timeframe?
I'm EIGHT/8/Eight hours ahead of FR Time.
Just another user popping in to say that I've never heard of "MVP" used before. Most valuable player is a bit weird when you've never heard of it. I wouldn't mind it being changed (eg to something a bit more "soft" on players without the vista) but it doesn't bother me much.
Just another user popping in to say that I've never heard of "MVP" used before. Most valuable player is a bit weird when you've never heard of it. I wouldn't mind it being changed (eg to something a bit more "soft" on players without the vista) but it doesn't bother me much.
h4uz0mr.gif
I find "level-head in a heated discussion" to be such a strange requirement.

I feel like a lot of people avoid hot button topics and debate fodder because we have better things to do than argue on the Internet. Guess people will have to seek out heated threads to get this title? XD

I feel like a lot of people avoid hot button topics and debate fodder because we have better things to do than argue on the Internet. Guess people will have to seek out heated threads to get this title? XD
10066.png tumblr_novuq6fyfl1uow4yfo6_r7_400.png
tumblr_novuq6fyfl1uow4yfo7_r7_250.pngtumblr_novuq6fyfl1uow4yfo8_r3_250.png
[quote name="damphyr" date="2015-01-24 21:34:46"]I find "level-head in a heated discussion" to be such a strange requirement. I feel like a lot of people avoid hot button topics and debate fodder because we have better things to do than argue on the Internet. Guess people will have to seek out heated threads to get this title? XD[/quote] I believe simply being genuinely kind + helpful is enough to fulfill the requirements. It's just that some users mediate really well in tense situations and that would also be fulfillment of the requirements assuming you* aren't turning up in threads and doing that really patronizing thing of 'why can't we all just get along'. not you-you, obviously. WE DON'T EVEN KNOW EACH OTHER. general-you.
damphyr wrote on 2015-01-24 21:34:46:

I believe simply being genuinely kind + helpful is enough to fulfill the requirements. It's just that some users mediate really well in tense situations and that would also be fulfillment of the requirements assuming you* aren't turning up in threads and doing that really patronizing thing of 'why can't we all just get along'.

not you-you, obviously. WE DON'T EVEN KNOW EACH OTHER. general-you.
iSUiwqzX231cv.gif
[quote name="Nequam" date="2015-01-23 17:33:52"]Will this only be awarded to people who praise the site no matter what, or will people who question or criticise it also be in the running? The admins have a long history of judging even the most friendly, constructive, mediatory questions and criticism by the words of the rudest (even when the rudest weren't actually all that rude, just kinda frustrated and snarky...).[/quote] This. But also: And sometimes by something that no-one used on this site, at all!
Nequam wrote on 2015-01-23 17:33:52:
Will this only be awarded to people who praise the site no matter what, or will people who question or criticise it also be in the running? The admins have a long history of judging even the most friendly, constructive, mediatory questions and criticism by the words of the rudest (even when the rudest weren't actually all that rude, just kinda frustrated and snarky...).

This. But also: And sometimes by something that no-one used on this site, at all!
I'm EIGHT/8/Eight hours ahead of FR Time.
Citing something that Aequorin said on another thread, since it's relevant here: [quote name="Aequorin" date="2015-01-27 09:11:23"]MVP isn't going to be limited to a small set of players. The intent is for this to be a long term, growing program. As Akiri said, this is low priority on our overall to-do list but we have a lot of really awesome players who already stand out or have contributed positively/constructively within our community. We think they deserve a bit of recognition - in this case by way of a shiny, snazzy vista. We are aware of the voiced concerns, it's something we've discussed, and will be taking steps to address before we select and announce the MVPs.[/quote] (http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=frd&id=1335730&page=1) So yeah, hopefully they'll make some changes to how this works.
Citing something that Aequorin said on another thread, since it's relevant here:
Aequorin wrote on 2015-01-27 09:11:23:
MVP isn't going to be limited to a small set of players. The intent is for this to be a long term, growing program.

As Akiri said, this is low priority on our overall to-do list but we have a lot of really awesome players who already stand out or have contributed positively/constructively within our community. We think they deserve a bit of recognition - in this case by way of a shiny, snazzy vista.

We are aware of the voiced concerns, it's something we've discussed, and will be taking steps to address before we select and announce the MVPs.

(http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=frd&id=1335730&page=1)

So yeah, hopefully they'll make some changes to how this works.
Don't really care about this, really. More concerned with issues that affect gameplay. It's not a big deal that someone has a shiny vista and the rest of us don't, it's already like that with the kickstarter and mod vistas. Wish there were more achievement oriented vistas but *shrug* I'll live.
Don't really care about this, really. More concerned with issues that affect gameplay. It's not a big deal that someone has a shiny vista and the rest of us don't, it's already like that with the kickstarter and mod vistas. Wish there were more achievement oriented vistas but *shrug* I'll live.