Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Required reading in high school?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Freshman: (Incoming Shakespeare alert)
A Midsummer Night's dream
Romeo and Juliet
Macbeth

Sophomore:
Stargirl
The Merchant of Venice
Lord of The Flies

Junior:
The Scarlet Letter (0/10, do NOT recommend).
The Crucible
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
And I think there's more, but I don't remember.

Senior: Not done with my Senior year, but here's what we've read so far.
Crime and Punishment
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Open Boat
Not my Best Side
Starting to read Tess of The d'Urbivilles (sp?)
Death of a Salesman
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Of Metal and Wishes
Hungry
I choose to read the last two.
Freshman: (Incoming Shakespeare alert)
A Midsummer Night's dream
Romeo and Juliet
Macbeth

Sophomore:
Stargirl
The Merchant of Venice
Lord of The Flies

Junior:
The Scarlet Letter (0/10, do NOT recommend).
The Crucible
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
And I think there's more, but I don't remember.

Senior: Not done with my Senior year, but here's what we've read so far.
Crime and Punishment
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Open Boat
Not my Best Side
Starting to read Tess of The d'Urbivilles (sp?)
Death of a Salesman
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Of Metal and Wishes
Hungry
I choose to read the last two.
fOSQCIF.pngsb_zps6fudn47r.jpg
@Psycho That had to be really boring. Going over Romeo and Juliet for like, the third time totally turned me off form it. But you really didn't get to choose any books? Not even for projects?

It just seems like a horrible way to get kids into reading.
@Psycho That had to be really boring. Going over Romeo and Juliet for like, the third time totally turned me off form it. But you really didn't get to choose any books? Not even for projects?

It just seems like a horrible way to get kids into reading.
light_banner.png
Let's see what I can remember. My original school district wasn't big on its reading program, and for my final two years I went to a weird (awesome) school that didn't have required reading per se but let you take a ton of literature electives if you wanted to, which I did.

Freshman/Sophmore
Romeo and Juliet
Julius Caesar
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Pearl (haaaated that one)
And I'm pretty sure we were supposed to read Lord of the Flies, but I didn't and I don't remember why. *shrug*

Mostly we read short stories and excerpts in our big literature textbook. I was a fast reader, so I got bored and read the whole thing. That's where I found Anne McCaffrey and several other authors.

Junior/Senior
Origin of Species
Descent of Man
The Iliad
The Odyssey
Beowulf
Galapagos
Inherit the Wind (in several different classes -- the faculty was big into this one)
Lord of the Rings
Bored of the Rings
Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking-Glass
The Chronicles of Narnia
A Shakespeare class where we read basically all the tragedies plus a few comedies and we all developed terrible, morbid senses of humor, much to the delight of the teacher.
Frankenstein
The Letters of Abelard and Heloise
Paradise Lost
Enough of The Prelude to give me a life-long hatred of romantic poetry written by anyone who wasn't sleeping with Byron.
Rather a lot of Oscar Wilde.
Great Expectations
Some book on Hitler that was the one book basically everyone had to read and was the school joke, though it was pretty good.
Donne's sonnets, followed by enough of his dirty poetry from earlier in life for us to understand why he was trying to get in good with God there at the end.
Jane Eyre
Raisin in the Sun
Everything That Rises Must Converge
Things Fall Apart
The Oresteia
Antigone
The Apology of Plato

Can't remember the rest.
Let's see what I can remember. My original school district wasn't big on its reading program, and for my final two years I went to a weird (awesome) school that didn't have required reading per se but let you take a ton of literature electives if you wanted to, which I did.

Freshman/Sophmore
Romeo and Juliet
Julius Caesar
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Pearl (haaaated that one)
And I'm pretty sure we were supposed to read Lord of the Flies, but I didn't and I don't remember why. *shrug*

Mostly we read short stories and excerpts in our big literature textbook. I was a fast reader, so I got bored and read the whole thing. That's where I found Anne McCaffrey and several other authors.

Junior/Senior
Origin of Species
Descent of Man
The Iliad
The Odyssey
Beowulf
Galapagos
Inherit the Wind (in several different classes -- the faculty was big into this one)
Lord of the Rings
Bored of the Rings
Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking-Glass
The Chronicles of Narnia
A Shakespeare class where we read basically all the tragedies plus a few comedies and we all developed terrible, morbid senses of humor, much to the delight of the teacher.
Frankenstein
The Letters of Abelard and Heloise
Paradise Lost
Enough of The Prelude to give me a life-long hatred of romantic poetry written by anyone who wasn't sleeping with Byron.
Rather a lot of Oscar Wilde.
Great Expectations
Some book on Hitler that was the one book basically everyone had to read and was the school joke, though it was pretty good.
Donne's sonnets, followed by enough of his dirty poetry from earlier in life for us to understand why he was trying to get in good with God there at the end.
Jane Eyre
Raisin in the Sun
Everything That Rises Must Converge
Things Fall Apart
The Oresteia
Antigone
The Apology of Plato

Can't remember the rest.
hey guys is this tik tok
i don't remember everything i've read in past years (i'm a senior now), but i discovered my favorite book through school reading: the giver. UGH it's just such a good book?? i get emotional over books i had to read in 9th grade???
however i also had to read a bunch of garbage. like brave new world. christ i hated that book SO MUCH.
i don't remember everything i've read in past years (i'm a senior now), but i discovered my favorite book through school reading: the giver. UGH it's just such a good book?? i get emotional over books i had to read in 9th grade???
however i also had to read a bunch of garbage. like brave new world. christ i hated that book SO MUCH.
tumblr_nz1ye9BjOf1siz4h6o1_500.png
Oh god high school was so long ago...
i know I read To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities, The Crucible, Lord of the Flies, Walden, A Separate Piece, The Invisible Man, 1984, Rebecca, The Odyssey, The Tell-Tale Heart and another by Poe I don't remember, Catch 22, Civil Disobedience...I don't remember any others.
Oh god high school was so long ago...
i know I read To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities, The Crucible, Lord of the Flies, Walden, A Separate Piece, The Invisible Man, 1984, Rebecca, The Odyssey, The Tell-Tale Heart and another by Poe I don't remember, Catch 22, Civil Disobedience...I don't remember any others.
I barely remember what I read freshmen year. Lord of the Flies? I think. And Romeo and Juliet of course.

Sophomore year we read the odyssey which was hella boring. we also 'read' twelfth night' but we didn't actually read it we just watched the movie? and some french play i forget the name of, we read that too.

Junior year I read The Things They Carried for my summer project, and that book was really good. Then we read Scarlet Letter which was boring and I didn't actually finish, The Awakening, which was slightly less boring, but I still skipped a bit in the middle and Of Mice and Men, which wasn't boring so much as depressing and I did finish that one.

For senior year so far we've read Hamlet, which was really great. And right now we're reading 'The Thing Around Your Neck' which is a book of short stories that's really great and interesting.

So yeah, fun times. (How I passed Junior year english, sometimes I honestly don't know)
I barely remember what I read freshmen year. Lord of the Flies? I think. And Romeo and Juliet of course.

Sophomore year we read the odyssey which was hella boring. we also 'read' twelfth night' but we didn't actually read it we just watched the movie? and some french play i forget the name of, we read that too.

Junior year I read The Things They Carried for my summer project, and that book was really good. Then we read Scarlet Letter which was boring and I didn't actually finish, The Awakening, which was slightly less boring, but I still skipped a bit in the middle and Of Mice and Men, which wasn't boring so much as depressing and I did finish that one.

For senior year so far we've read Hamlet, which was really great. And right now we're reading 'The Thing Around Your Neck' which is a book of short stories that's really great and interesting.

So yeah, fun times. (How I passed Junior year english, sometimes I honestly don't know)
My list/order is quite different than yours o:

Freshman: Romeo & Juliet, Harrison Bergeron, a lot of stuff by Edgar Allen Poe (Tell Tale Heart, The Raven, etc.), Lord of the Flies

Sophomore: Julius Caser, Animal Farm, 1984, of Mice and Men

Junior: The Crucibles, The Secret Life of Bees, The Declaration of Independence (and other US documents)

Senior: Beowulf, Grendel, Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Macbeth
My list/order is quite different than yours o:

Freshman: Romeo & Juliet, Harrison Bergeron, a lot of stuff by Edgar Allen Poe (Tell Tale Heart, The Raven, etc.), Lord of the Flies

Sophomore: Julius Caser, Animal Farm, 1984, of Mice and Men

Junior: The Crucibles, The Secret Life of Bees, The Declaration of Independence (and other US documents)

Senior: Beowulf, Grendel, Canterbury Tales, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Macbeth
7m8ENT7.gif
x x x
Ceremonial Scythe Sharpened Scythe
x x
Wishlist
I don't remember much, but a lot of the mentioned books are familiar. (Of Mice and Men, Things They Carried, R&J, Hiroshima, The Giver etc.)
We got to read Ender's Game one year and I was just so happy.... I was big into military-esque stories at the time so I was absolutely in love with that book.

The next year we read that fish book that made me cry because I loved books and here was one that was just so boring that I couldn't stand it. How could my favorite thing betray me like this?! D: D: D:

Old Man and the Sea? Yeah, that was it. An entire book about fishing. I don't care how exciting you think you're making it, that book was the worst I ever read. It was so painful. We had to do reflection papers on each chapter and it was so frustrating trying to write something other than "He's still 'fighting' the fish, what more do you want me to say?!" peppered with colorful expletives.
I don't remember much, but a lot of the mentioned books are familiar. (Of Mice and Men, Things They Carried, R&J, Hiroshima, The Giver etc.)
We got to read Ender's Game one year and I was just so happy.... I was big into military-esque stories at the time so I was absolutely in love with that book.

The next year we read that fish book that made me cry because I loved books and here was one that was just so boring that I couldn't stand it. How could my favorite thing betray me like this?! D: D: D:

Old Man and the Sea? Yeah, that was it. An entire book about fishing. I don't care how exciting you think you're making it, that book was the worst I ever read. It was so painful. We had to do reflection papers on each chapter and it was so frustrating trying to write something other than "He's still 'fighting' the fish, what more do you want me to say?!" peppered with colorful expletives.
Y3kY2LN.png
I liked a lot of the required reading in highschool, but a lot of it I can't remember..

freshman year:
Cask of Amontillado
The Masque of the Red Death
The Tell Tale Heart
The Pit and the Pendulum
quite a few poems by Poe (we had a whole half a semester about him really)
Romeo and Juliet
A Midsummer's Night Dream
Lord of the Flies
The Odyssey

sophomore year:
Animal Farm
Fahrenheit 451
To Kill a Mockingbird
Anthem (which was my favorite out of any required reading)
the Oedipus plays

junior year:
The Scarlet Letter
Tom Sawyer
a lot of reading based on criteria, like "biography of a famous American" so I read a biography about Andy Warhol or "a classic novel by an American author" and I read Catcher in the Rye

senior year (I moved and the classes were at a lower level than my original school):
Beowulf
The Canterbury Tales
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Macbeth

But boy, I read some crazy stuff in middle school in our literature classes. We had literature and english as separate classes so they were just throwing books at us and I read a lot of things, learned a lot of stuff I didn't want to learn...
I liked a lot of the required reading in highschool, but a lot of it I can't remember..

freshman year:
Cask of Amontillado
The Masque of the Red Death
The Tell Tale Heart
The Pit and the Pendulum
quite a few poems by Poe (we had a whole half a semester about him really)
Romeo and Juliet
A Midsummer's Night Dream
Lord of the Flies
The Odyssey

sophomore year:
Animal Farm
Fahrenheit 451
To Kill a Mockingbird
Anthem (which was my favorite out of any required reading)
the Oedipus plays

junior year:
The Scarlet Letter
Tom Sawyer
a lot of reading based on criteria, like "biography of a famous American" so I read a biography about Andy Warhol or "a classic novel by an American author" and I read Catcher in the Rye

senior year (I moved and the classes were at a lower level than my original school):
Beowulf
The Canterbury Tales
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Macbeth

But boy, I read some crazy stuff in middle school in our literature classes. We had literature and english as separate classes so they were just throwing books at us and I read a lot of things, learned a lot of stuff I didn't want to learn...
artshop_zps50892af3.png
I was home schooled freshman year so I read whatever I wanted but In sophomore year we have to read

Of Mice and Men
The Contender
The Merchant of Venice

these are only a few and I'm sure we are going to read more then that.
I was home schooled freshman year so I read whatever I wanted but In sophomore year we have to read

Of Mice and Men
The Contender
The Merchant of Venice

these are only a few and I'm sure we are going to read more then that.
tumblr_nczpjhpTC61tfzajgo1_500.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7