Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [Private] w/Wysvern
1 2
Jannin Ariaty, or Ariaty as she would introduce herself as, was a mage in the Grey Wardens. Her recruitment into the order was unknown to most as she refuses to share that story with anyone, though she has let it slip that she was at one point the apprentice of Irving in Felelden's Circle of Magi. As a child being raised by the Chantry in Lothering she dreamed of becoming a Templar and when her status as a mage became known she obviously wasn't very happy.

Like all Wardens she is very skilled in combat, though her true passion lies in magical research. Her almost fanatical research habits came out of necessity as Ariaty was born with large mana reserves that made her tempting to demons. Shortly after her recruitment in the Grey Wardens the mage bonded with a Spirit of Hope, this Spirit keeps demons at bay while also providing an interesting research perspective.

Now, standing in the crisp morning air she was reminded of Weisshaupt Fortress where she had spent the better part of the past ten years. There was something different about the air here and it put her on edge.

@Wysvern

((I left it open so you could decide where we started this off.))
Jannin Ariaty, or Ariaty as she would introduce herself as, was a mage in the Grey Wardens. Her recruitment into the order was unknown to most as she refuses to share that story with anyone, though she has let it slip that she was at one point the apprentice of Irving in Felelden's Circle of Magi. As a child being raised by the Chantry in Lothering she dreamed of becoming a Templar and when her status as a mage became known she obviously wasn't very happy.

Like all Wardens she is very skilled in combat, though her true passion lies in magical research. Her almost fanatical research habits came out of necessity as Ariaty was born with large mana reserves that made her tempting to demons. Shortly after her recruitment in the Grey Wardens the mage bonded with a Spirit of Hope, this Spirit keeps demons at bay while also providing an interesting research perspective.

Now, standing in the crisp morning air she was reminded of Weisshaupt Fortress where she had spent the better part of the past ten years. There was something different about the air here and it put her on edge.

@Wysvern

((I left it open so you could decide where we started this off.))
U8dkiXo.jpg
"Creators it's freezing here," Brihris Sarethial muttered, mostly to herself as she exited the building she was staying at. It was a small inn for a small town. Brihris - or just Bris as she liked to be called - was not use to the slightly chilly morning air.

She was a city elf from Orlais. Velun to be precise. But her grandmother was a Dalish elf and she had somehow imbued what culture she could into the young, wild elven girl. Bris, before joining the Grey Wardens, had been working on becoming a Bard. She loved hearing tales about them. Instead her skills were seem as useful to the Wardens and here she was.

She checked to make sure her arrows were all accounted for. She mostly dealt in archery but sometimes used a pair of daggers. She was a much better shot than at close combat. She saw that Ariaty had also came outside and she went over to the other woman, slinging an arm around her shoulder in a friendly gesture.

"So how's Wycome treating you? It's far too cold for me." They hadn't arrived in the town together and Bris didn't know Ariaty that well either. Yet they seemed to be the only Wardens around and this made Bris want to be friendly and close.
"Creators it's freezing here," Brihris Sarethial muttered, mostly to herself as she exited the building she was staying at. It was a small inn for a small town. Brihris - or just Bris as she liked to be called - was not use to the slightly chilly morning air.

She was a city elf from Orlais. Velun to be precise. But her grandmother was a Dalish elf and she had somehow imbued what culture she could into the young, wild elven girl. Bris, before joining the Grey Wardens, had been working on becoming a Bard. She loved hearing tales about them. Instead her skills were seem as useful to the Wardens and here she was.

She checked to make sure her arrows were all accounted for. She mostly dealt in archery but sometimes used a pair of daggers. She was a much better shot than at close combat. She saw that Ariaty had also came outside and she went over to the other woman, slinging an arm around her shoulder in a friendly gesture.

"So how's Wycome treating you? It's far too cold for me." They hadn't arrived in the town together and Bris didn't know Ariaty that well either. Yet they seemed to be the only Wardens around and this made Bris want to be friendly and close.
tokopresent1.png
Ariaty turned and gave the elf a small smile before frowning, it wasn't Bris that was bothering the mage but there was something wrong that she just couldn't put her finger on. "The cold isn't bothering me, the weather at Weisshaupt is pretty unforgiving and I certainly prefer this cold over the wretchedly hot summers in the Anderfels. I'm not sure if you can feel it, but there's something very unsettling here." Perhaps a Blight is upon us, you Wardens can feel that. The Spirit of Hope, that Ariaty referred to as Light, always had something to say. She was generally helpful but also seemed to enjoy poking and prodding at Ariaty. Or is your time up, is the Calling claiming you?

"Don't be absurd, those are completely different things." She often received strange looks for saying things seemingly out of no where but it was simpler for her to just speak as she did normally without trying to put on a performance. Ariaty had proved herself long ago and didn't need to worry about impressing others. She cleared her throat and turned to Bris, "I don't suppose you've heard anything from the locals since we've arrived?"

((Bris seems like she's younger and hasn't been a Warden for as long as Ariaty so I decided that maybe they had met up in Wycome on their way somewhere else. Bris doesn't seem like her personality would allow her to stay in Weisshaupt for an extended amount of time. If you want to amend that in your post go ahead, it just made more sense to me that they weren't old friends.))
Ariaty turned and gave the elf a small smile before frowning, it wasn't Bris that was bothering the mage but there was something wrong that she just couldn't put her finger on. "The cold isn't bothering me, the weather at Weisshaupt is pretty unforgiving and I certainly prefer this cold over the wretchedly hot summers in the Anderfels. I'm not sure if you can feel it, but there's something very unsettling here." Perhaps a Blight is upon us, you Wardens can feel that. The Spirit of Hope, that Ariaty referred to as Light, always had something to say. She was generally helpful but also seemed to enjoy poking and prodding at Ariaty. Or is your time up, is the Calling claiming you?

"Don't be absurd, those are completely different things." She often received strange looks for saying things seemingly out of no where but it was simpler for her to just speak as she did normally without trying to put on a performance. Ariaty had proved herself long ago and didn't need to worry about impressing others. She cleared her throat and turned to Bris, "I don't suppose you've heard anything from the locals since we've arrived?"

((Bris seems like she's younger and hasn't been a Warden for as long as Ariaty so I decided that maybe they had met up in Wycome on their way somewhere else. Bris doesn't seem like her personality would allow her to stay in Weisshaupt for an extended amount of time. If you want to amend that in your post go ahead, it just made more sense to me that they weren't old friends.))
U8dkiXo.jpg
Bris raised an eyebrow at Ariaty when she spoke to herself out loud. She had heard a few things about the older woman next to her. As much as she enjoyed partaking in idle gossip, Bris had no intention of offending her fellow Warden.

At her question, Bris turned her attention back to the town. She had only been a Warden for a year or two now. She also had yet to go to Weisshaupt as she knew Ariaty had but had been at Montsimmard for some time. At least that was something. She focused on the town trying to see if she could get the same sense as Ariaty. The feeling of something being off came slower to the elf but she could feel it too. It made her feel nervous.

"I have talked to a few people in town but many, if they are aware of the situation have remained quiet. I have heard several rumors but picked up most of them at the tavern. I'm not sure if we should trust the word of drunken men and women." Nothing stood out to her either as something that should draw her attention but she hadn't been in Wycome long. They could ask around now. "Have you?"

((Yeah I can do that. Sorry))
Bris raised an eyebrow at Ariaty when she spoke to herself out loud. She had heard a few things about the older woman next to her. As much as she enjoyed partaking in idle gossip, Bris had no intention of offending her fellow Warden.

At her question, Bris turned her attention back to the town. She had only been a Warden for a year or two now. She also had yet to go to Weisshaupt as she knew Ariaty had but had been at Montsimmard for some time. At least that was something. She focused on the town trying to see if she could get the same sense as Ariaty. The feeling of something being off came slower to the elf but she could feel it too. It made her feel nervous.

"I have talked to a few people in town but many, if they are aware of the situation have remained quiet. I have heard several rumors but picked up most of them at the tavern. I'm not sure if we should trust the word of drunken men and women." Nothing stood out to her either as something that should draw her attention but she hadn't been in Wycome long. They could ask around now. "Have you?"

((Yeah I can do that. Sorry))
tokopresent1.png
It wasn't uncommon for people to remain quiet when questioned, but it was unlikely for them to lie to the Grey Wardens who were greatly admired across all of Thedas. Still, it wasn't unheard of. "That's unfortunate, I've heard whispers of things but nothing I could attest to this feeling. I have however been watching the comings and goings of of the townspeople and they are... Strange." There were many things that could be learned from an area just by watching those that were familiar with it. "Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a few people leaving to the south there are some inconsistencies that concern me."

Ariaty made the few steps to the road and looked around, observing the area. What she saw read as it had previously. "Merchants and caravans that have traveled from the south also leave in that direction, if they were heading to Kirkwall they would travel by sea and avoid the mountains. We can assume if they aren't going to Kirkwall they would be heading east to Starkhaven or Tantervale where they could make the largest profit off the natural resources purchased here. They don't go east and instead leave from the south, taking a longer route and avoiding whatever is waiting in the more efficient route. Or at least that's what it seems like to me, I haven't gone to check for myself." It had been awhile since she had been out on the field this way but Ariaty doubted she was wrong.

The fact that there was something over there wasn't particularly alarming, it was that they hadn't been told something that was so well known throughout Wycome.

((You have nothing to apologize for. :b ))
@wysvern
It wasn't uncommon for people to remain quiet when questioned, but it was unlikely for them to lie to the Grey Wardens who were greatly admired across all of Thedas. Still, it wasn't unheard of. "That's unfortunate, I've heard whispers of things but nothing I could attest to this feeling. I have however been watching the comings and goings of of the townspeople and they are... Strange." There were many things that could be learned from an area just by watching those that were familiar with it. "Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a few people leaving to the south there are some inconsistencies that concern me."

Ariaty made the few steps to the road and looked around, observing the area. What she saw read as it had previously. "Merchants and caravans that have traveled from the south also leave in that direction, if they were heading to Kirkwall they would travel by sea and avoid the mountains. We can assume if they aren't going to Kirkwall they would be heading east to Starkhaven or Tantervale where they could make the largest profit off the natural resources purchased here. They don't go east and instead leave from the south, taking a longer route and avoiding whatever is waiting in the more efficient route. Or at least that's what it seems like to me, I haven't gone to check for myself." It had been awhile since she had been out on the field this way but Ariaty doubted she was wrong.

The fact that there was something over there wasn't particularly alarming, it was that they hadn't been told something that was so well known throughout Wycome.

((You have nothing to apologize for. :b ))
@wysvern
U8dkiXo.jpg
"Do you need help?" The question slid easily from Bris's lips. She had come to the Free Marches and to Wycome itself as a stop on her journey farther north. She was to meet other Wardens in Antiva to help with an assignment there. But knowing what she did now this case seemed to take precedent. Besides the elven woman did not feel comfortable letting Ariaty do all the work herself. They were both here together. Why not form a team?

"I mean if you'd prefer to look into the matter yourself, I will not press. It's just two people would make faster work." Maybe Ariaty would say no because of Bris's inexperience. Ariaty was both older and had been a Grey Warden longer. Yet she knew deep down that she had to convince the mage before her to allow her to help. Something was definitely wrong and Bris would not let Ariaty face whatever it was alone. "Are they heading south by sea or land?" The only place of note south from Wycome that came to mind after a while was Hercinia. Eventually if one did not go across the waters they'd find themselves in the Vimmack Mountains.

There was so much they didn't know yet. That was frustrating.
"Do you need help?" The question slid easily from Bris's lips. She had come to the Free Marches and to Wycome itself as a stop on her journey farther north. She was to meet other Wardens in Antiva to help with an assignment there. But knowing what she did now this case seemed to take precedent. Besides the elven woman did not feel comfortable letting Ariaty do all the work herself. They were both here together. Why not form a team?

"I mean if you'd prefer to look into the matter yourself, I will not press. It's just two people would make faster work." Maybe Ariaty would say no because of Bris's inexperience. Ariaty was both older and had been a Grey Warden longer. Yet she knew deep down that she had to convince the mage before her to allow her to help. Something was definitely wrong and Bris would not let Ariaty face whatever it was alone. "Are they heading south by sea or land?" The only place of note south from Wycome that came to mind after a while was Hercinia. Eventually if one did not go across the waters they'd find themselves in the Vimmack Mountains.

There was so much they didn't know yet. That was frustrating.
tokopresent1.png
Ariaty's first instinct was to decline, she preferred to do things on her own. But this wasn't her research, and did she really have the right to deny this to the younger Warden? She had been called back to Ferelden by Duncan the Warden-Commander and had already made a detour through Antiva on her way back. Interesting artifacts made their way through those cities and she had formed enough of a relationship with the dealers that they would allow her to see some of the more curious pieces. It was doubtful that his need for her was anything pressing, he would have known to make that clear when requesting her return, but it felt rude to make him wait over nothing. Still, even factoring in the time gaining a partner would add the opportunity was too valuable to pass up.

Ariaty turned to the elf and nodded, "How about you take point on this one, what's our course of action?" She gestured vaguely around, catching the glances of the townspeople with her movement. She had been a Warden for quite awhile but aside from helping her lost fellows on their first trips to headquarters she hadn't done anything in the way of teaching the younger Grey Wardens. There were many in the order better better suited to giving instruction or guidance. Brihris seemed quite bright though, if she needed to be nudged in the right direction chances are it would be minimum.

Do you always have to be so reserved when meeting someone? There's no need to be so concerned about them trampling on your idealism. Considering my presence you're nearly unshakable in that regard. Ariaty cleared her throat and rolled her eyes at this, there were times when she could do without the constant commentary. It was ridiculous that Light was still pushing her to be more outgoing, the mage was plenty outgoing she had just learned a long time ago that it was best to make others feel as though they needed to earn her trust. The Spirit may not have been present for much of this lesson but she had long since came to know the details.

@wysvern
Ariaty's first instinct was to decline, she preferred to do things on her own. But this wasn't her research, and did she really have the right to deny this to the younger Warden? She had been called back to Ferelden by Duncan the Warden-Commander and had already made a detour through Antiva on her way back. Interesting artifacts made their way through those cities and she had formed enough of a relationship with the dealers that they would allow her to see some of the more curious pieces. It was doubtful that his need for her was anything pressing, he would have known to make that clear when requesting her return, but it felt rude to make him wait over nothing. Still, even factoring in the time gaining a partner would add the opportunity was too valuable to pass up.

Ariaty turned to the elf and nodded, "How about you take point on this one, what's our course of action?" She gestured vaguely around, catching the glances of the townspeople with her movement. She had been a Warden for quite awhile but aside from helping her lost fellows on their first trips to headquarters she hadn't done anything in the way of teaching the younger Grey Wardens. There were many in the order better better suited to giving instruction or guidance. Brihris seemed quite bright though, if she needed to be nudged in the right direction chances are it would be minimum.

Do you always have to be so reserved when meeting someone? There's no need to be so concerned about them trampling on your idealism. Considering my presence you're nearly unshakable in that regard. Ariaty cleared her throat and rolled her eyes at this, there were times when she could do without the constant commentary. It was ridiculous that Light was still pushing her to be more outgoing, the mage was plenty outgoing she had just learned a long time ago that it was best to make others feel as though they needed to earn her trust. The Spirit may not have been present for much of this lesson but she had long since came to know the details.

@wysvern
U8dkiXo.jpg
Bris couldn't say that she wasn't surprised. Even if Ariaty agreed to the help from her, she assumed that the older woman would be the one leading. Bris had no problem taking point right now, but at the same time she worried that she might mess up. There was a desire to impress Ariaty as well. She was the one with more experience. If Bris could prove herself a useful partner... Well those were thoughts for another time. For now she needed to focus on the task at hand.

Bris scanned the town as well, thinking of the best option to start. Some of the townsfolks glanced the wardens way, a few looking nervous. Bris debated for a few more minutes before deciding what to do.

"You said merchants and caravans are heading south. It seems rather risky for them to travel that way if they don't cross the waters. If they continue along the shore they'd end up in the mountains which would be dangerous and rather foolish." Bris bit her lower lip, a habit she picked up when thinking. "Before they left they must of sold wares. If we can find those who spoke with them we could possibly learn why they decided to head in such a direction." She looked at Ariaty waiting to see if the mage would approve of her decision.

@Zurrz
Bris couldn't say that she wasn't surprised. Even if Ariaty agreed to the help from her, she assumed that the older woman would be the one leading. Bris had no problem taking point right now, but at the same time she worried that she might mess up. There was a desire to impress Ariaty as well. She was the one with more experience. If Bris could prove herself a useful partner... Well those were thoughts for another time. For now she needed to focus on the task at hand.

Bris scanned the town as well, thinking of the best option to start. Some of the townsfolks glanced the wardens way, a few looking nervous. Bris debated for a few more minutes before deciding what to do.

"You said merchants and caravans are heading south. It seems rather risky for them to travel that way if they don't cross the waters. If they continue along the shore they'd end up in the mountains which would be dangerous and rather foolish." Bris bit her lower lip, a habit she picked up when thinking. "Before they left they must of sold wares. If we can find those who spoke with them we could possibly learn why they decided to head in such a direction." She looked at Ariaty waiting to see if the mage would approve of her decision.

@Zurrz
tokopresent1.png
"Their direction could indicate something of interest to the south or something well worth the trouble of avoiding to the east. In this instance it would be best to question with some skepticism, there's clearly something strange going on and I wouldn't be surprised if the entirety of Wycome had some part in it." Ariaty, being from the Circle of Magi, was familiar with isolated communities getting entirely wrapped up their own ecosystem. This "us against the world" mentality generally caused more damage than good.

As she scoped around for someone to question movement caught her eye, a small group had gathered and were talking amongst each other. They looked at the Wardens repeatedly and to Ariaty it seemed like this would be their best shot, before the town's solidarity became other obstacle.

People were generally wary of mages, the exception being among the Grey Wardens where they were highly valued, and even under the various layers she wore on top of her leather armor it was difficult to hide a staff. Ariaty, though she generally tried to better the reputation of mages, was not against intimidation if need be.

In any case she had told Bris to take point, ultimately the direction they went in was up to her.
@wysvern
"Their direction could indicate something of interest to the south or something well worth the trouble of avoiding to the east. In this instance it would be best to question with some skepticism, there's clearly something strange going on and I wouldn't be surprised if the entirety of Wycome had some part in it." Ariaty, being from the Circle of Magi, was familiar with isolated communities getting entirely wrapped up their own ecosystem. This "us against the world" mentality generally caused more damage than good.

As she scoped around for someone to question movement caught her eye, a small group had gathered and were talking amongst each other. They looked at the Wardens repeatedly and to Ariaty it seemed like this would be their best shot, before the town's solidarity became other obstacle.

People were generally wary of mages, the exception being among the Grey Wardens where they were highly valued, and even under the various layers she wore on top of her leather armor it was difficult to hide a staff. Ariaty, though she generally tried to better the reputation of mages, was not against intimidation if need be.

In any case she had told Bris to take point, ultimately the direction they went in was up to her.
@wysvern
U8dkiXo.jpg
The entire of Wycome? The thought seemed a little out there to Bris. Yet she couldn't help but think of her questions from before and the avoidance of the townspeople. Or the glances although that could be explained away by her race. Even if elves were treated equal in the Grey Wardens, humans still weren't rather fond of them in general.

Bris took a deep breath and tried to think of the best way to go about questioning the people of Wycome. She wanted to talk to the merchants still here and shop owners. They would have had the most dealings with those that left. She also caught sight of the group. A question stuck in her throat. She wanted to ask Ariaty if they should talk to them but Ariaty had put her as the one leading. Bris still wanted to prove herself.

Yet this brought another question to mind. "Do you really think they'll want to talk to us? Not just because we're Grey Wardens or they're a suspicious lot, but you're a mage and I'm an Orlesian elf." Bris huffed knowing that she shouldn't let such a thing stop her. "We can figure out what is going on with that group but I still think talking to those who had spoke to the last group to head south would be our best bet."

@Zurrz
The entire of Wycome? The thought seemed a little out there to Bris. Yet she couldn't help but think of her questions from before and the avoidance of the townspeople. Or the glances although that could be explained away by her race. Even if elves were treated equal in the Grey Wardens, humans still weren't rather fond of them in general.

Bris took a deep breath and tried to think of the best way to go about questioning the people of Wycome. She wanted to talk to the merchants still here and shop owners. They would have had the most dealings with those that left. She also caught sight of the group. A question stuck in her throat. She wanted to ask Ariaty if they should talk to them but Ariaty had put her as the one leading. Bris still wanted to prove herself.

Yet this brought another question to mind. "Do you really think they'll want to talk to us? Not just because we're Grey Wardens or they're a suspicious lot, but you're a mage and I'm an Orlesian elf." Bris huffed knowing that she shouldn't let such a thing stop her. "We can figure out what is going on with that group but I still think talking to those who had spoke to the last group to head south would be our best bet."

@Zurrz
tokopresent1.png
1 2