Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Doing a project on phobias (need help!)
1 2 3 4 5
(If you don't feel like reading all of this, skip to the bolded areas!)

This isn't a written out project, it's a series of art pieces (because I major in Visual Arts now wooo) and all 10 of them have to be on a different phobia. Here is the overlook:

The requirement of the project is to use textures and pencil rubbings in some way on your pieces.

The overall concept is people who let their fears take over their life. I will be using my school's photography studio to take photos of 10 people wearing plain white tops over a black background. I will use the textures and rubbings collected to represent 10 phobias.

After the pictures are taken I'll digitally overlay the textures on some parts of the model's body (coming from the outside, so it looks like the fear is creeping up and consuming them.)

SO ANYWAYS ENOUGH OF ME BLABBERING ABOUT MY PROJECT

What I need is for you guys to tell me about one or more of your phobias. Please tell me more than just what it means, elaborate a bit on why you're scared, or what you're afraid may happen that caused your phobia.

Thank you very much for your help!

PHOBIAS I HAVE ALREADY BEEN TOLD ABOUT:*
â—‹ Trypophobia (fear of a cluster of holes)
â—‹ Photogophobia (fear of having your picture taken)
â—‹ Thanatophobia (fear of dying)
â—‹ Gerascophobia (fear of aging)
â—‹ Angrophobia (Fear of anger)
â—‹ Ligyrophobia (Fear of loud noises)
â—‹ Methyphobia (Fear of alcohol)
â—‹ Bathmophobia (Fear of stairs)
â—‹ Geliophobia (Fear of laughter)
â—‹ Tonitrophobia (Fear of thunder)
â—‹ Emetophobia (Fear of vomiting)
â—‹ Acrophobia (Fear of heights)
â—‹ Toxiphobia (Fear of being poisoned)
â—‹ Entomophobia (Extreme fear of insects)
â—‹ Globophobia (Fear of balloons)
â—‹ Trypanophobia (Fear of injections)
â—‹ Opidiophobia (Fear of snakes)
â—‹ Barophobia (Fear of gravity causing one to fall)
â—‹ Ochlophobia (Fear of crowds)
â—‹ Somniphobia (Fear of sleep)
â—‹ Odontophobia (Fear of the dentist)
â—‹ Catoptrophobia (Fear of mirrors)
â—‹ Nyctophobia (Fear of the dark)

(* Feel free to still talk about them and tell me your personal view on them, but there is no need to elaborate too much!)
(If you don't feel like reading all of this, skip to the bolded areas!)

This isn't a written out project, it's a series of art pieces (because I major in Visual Arts now wooo) and all 10 of them have to be on a different phobia. Here is the overlook:

The requirement of the project is to use textures and pencil rubbings in some way on your pieces.

The overall concept is people who let their fears take over their life. I will be using my school's photography studio to take photos of 10 people wearing plain white tops over a black background. I will use the textures and rubbings collected to represent 10 phobias.

After the pictures are taken I'll digitally overlay the textures on some parts of the model's body (coming from the outside, so it looks like the fear is creeping up and consuming them.)

SO ANYWAYS ENOUGH OF ME BLABBERING ABOUT MY PROJECT

What I need is for you guys to tell me about one or more of your phobias. Please tell me more than just what it means, elaborate a bit on why you're scared, or what you're afraid may happen that caused your phobia.

Thank you very much for your help!

PHOBIAS I HAVE ALREADY BEEN TOLD ABOUT:*
â—‹ Trypophobia (fear of a cluster of holes)
â—‹ Photogophobia (fear of having your picture taken)
â—‹ Thanatophobia (fear of dying)
â—‹ Gerascophobia (fear of aging)
â—‹ Angrophobia (Fear of anger)
â—‹ Ligyrophobia (Fear of loud noises)
â—‹ Methyphobia (Fear of alcohol)
â—‹ Bathmophobia (Fear of stairs)
â—‹ Geliophobia (Fear of laughter)
â—‹ Tonitrophobia (Fear of thunder)
â—‹ Emetophobia (Fear of vomiting)
â—‹ Acrophobia (Fear of heights)
â—‹ Toxiphobia (Fear of being poisoned)
â—‹ Entomophobia (Extreme fear of insects)
â—‹ Globophobia (Fear of balloons)
â—‹ Trypanophobia (Fear of injections)
â—‹ Opidiophobia (Fear of snakes)
â—‹ Barophobia (Fear of gravity causing one to fall)
â—‹ Ochlophobia (Fear of crowds)
â—‹ Somniphobia (Fear of sleep)
â—‹ Odontophobia (Fear of the dentist)
â—‹ Catoptrophobia (Fear of mirrors)
â—‹ Nyctophobia (Fear of the dark)

(* Feel free to still talk about them and tell me your personal view on them, but there is no need to elaborate too much!)
Oh, this project sounds interesting! I can't help you, since I don't have any phobias (at least it hasn't been confirmed yet), but I wish you the best of luck ;u;
Oh, this project sounds interesting! I can't help you, since I don't have any phobias (at least it hasn't been confirmed yet), but I wish you the best of luck ;u;
> FR +9
> She/her
> ESFP-T
@Calibri
No problem, thank you very much for the encouragement!
@Calibri
No problem, thank you very much for the encouragement!
Should we post here or PM?
Should we post here or PM?
@PeytonPeak
Either is good! If you want to talk about it more privately feel free to PM me, and if you're cool with openly talking about it you can post it here.
@PeytonPeak
Either is good! If you want to talk about it more privately feel free to PM me, and if you're cool with openly talking about it you can post it here.
Angrophobia - Fear of anger or of becoming angry.
I am afraid of anger and becoming angry. I feel like someone is going to hate me if they become angry at me, and that I will hate someone if I become angry at them. Also, if I get too angry, I don't want to get in trouble because I say something or do something.

Ligyrophobia- Fear of loud noises.
I have autism, so I notice loud noises more. When I hear extremely loud noises I feel as if the whole world will crash down on me. Also, it tells me there are a lot of things going on that I can't control.

Rhabdophobia- Fear of being severely punished or criticized.
I've been verbally abused before, and I remember how it felt and I don't know if I could ever go through it again.
Angrophobia - Fear of anger or of becoming angry.
I am afraid of anger and becoming angry. I feel like someone is going to hate me if they become angry at me, and that I will hate someone if I become angry at them. Also, if I get too angry, I don't want to get in trouble because I say something or do something.

Ligyrophobia- Fear of loud noises.
I have autism, so I notice loud noises more. When I hear extremely loud noises I feel as if the whole world will crash down on me. Also, it tells me there are a lot of things going on that I can't control.

Rhabdophobia- Fear of being severely punished or criticized.
I've been verbally abused before, and I remember how it felt and I don't know if I could ever go through it again.
Methyphobia - Fear of Alcohol

I was physically and emotionally abused as a teenager by my father (who, obviously was a violent drunk) so I literally start having overwhelming feelings of anxiety/panic attacks if someone is trying to pressure me into drinking and/or I'm around people who drink - because not only do I ever want to go through what I went through ever again, but I also don't want to end up turning into a violent drunk either.

So I just try to avoid it at all costs, and try to put my foot down when it comes to it coming into my house. Luckily, I have the best friends ever who know when I start feeling uncomfortable around it.
Methyphobia - Fear of Alcohol

I was physically and emotionally abused as a teenager by my father (who, obviously was a violent drunk) so I literally start having overwhelming feelings of anxiety/panic attacks if someone is trying to pressure me into drinking and/or I'm around people who drink - because not only do I ever want to go through what I went through ever again, but I also don't want to end up turning into a violent drunk either.

So I just try to avoid it at all costs, and try to put my foot down when it comes to it coming into my house. Luckily, I have the best friends ever who know when I start feeling uncomfortable around it.
Idk, i'm just here for the pretty dragons
ಠ_ಠ
I'm bathmophobic, meaning I'm.. scared of stairs. ; v ;;

I can't go up staircases that are more than 4 feet tall, and if I have to go up a new one I will crawl up it if I can get away with it. It's a pretty inconvenient fear to have. Highschool sucks when you have this with an upstairs class.
I'm bathmophobic, meaning I'm.. scared of stairs. ; v ;;

I can't go up staircases that are more than 4 feet tall, and if I have to go up a new one I will crawl up it if I can get away with it. It's a pretty inconvenient fear to have. Highschool sucks when you have this with an upstairs class.
j3HaAln.png
This sounds like a very interesting project, so I'm going to be completely honest with you.
I have a deep fear of laughter. (Geliophobia)
Now, I'm not exactly sure of how it came to be or why I'm so terrified by it. But I'm going to lay down some example situations and my reactions. (All real, previous events.)
1. I HATE cafeterias. There's alot of chit-chat, people talking, laughing with their friends. And worse- many people laughing at the same time. In many cases, where I'm forced into this setting, I will blare music in my ears and try not to look around.
2. Once, when I had no headphones, a girl at my table was laughing, loudly. I got this strange feeling in my throat- like a lump. My body temperature seemed to rise and I felt like I was on fire. I ran. Yes, ran. Didn't matter that I was in school, that people were watching me, I just needed OUT.
3. Another time, I was in a room with about 7 kids, and a teacher. Everyone was laughing, Talk about one of those scenarios where you're truly trapped. Entered a panic attack and it took me about 2 hours to calm down.

Tonitrophobia- Fear of thunder.
I think, in part, this one is because of the loud noise. I never did like loud noises, or loud people. I think what terrifies me about thunder in particular is that I can feel it tremble through my body.

This sounds like a very interesting project, so I'm going to be completely honest with you.
I have a deep fear of laughter. (Geliophobia)
Now, I'm not exactly sure of how it came to be or why I'm so terrified by it. But I'm going to lay down some example situations and my reactions. (All real, previous events.)
1. I HATE cafeterias. There's alot of chit-chat, people talking, laughing with their friends. And worse- many people laughing at the same time. In many cases, where I'm forced into this setting, I will blare music in my ears and try not to look around.
2. Once, when I had no headphones, a girl at my table was laughing, loudly. I got this strange feeling in my throat- like a lump. My body temperature seemed to rise and I felt like I was on fire. I ran. Yes, ran. Didn't matter that I was in school, that people were watching me, I just needed OUT.
3. Another time, I was in a room with about 7 kids, and a teacher. Everyone was laughing, Talk about one of those scenarios where you're truly trapped. Entered a panic attack and it took me about 2 hours to calm down.

Tonitrophobia- Fear of thunder.
I think, in part, this one is because of the loud noise. I never did like loud noises, or loud people. I think what terrifies me about thunder in particular is that I can feel it tremble through my body.

Emetophobia - fear of vomiting. I have panic attacks if I think I am going to throw up. I will do everything in my power to not vomit, which means avoiding foods that have made/I think made me vomit in the past. I have a lot of trouble watching shows or movies that depict characters doing that because I fear I will have a sympathetic reaction. I can't be around sick people because I become ridiculously anxious, thinking they will vomit where I can see/hear.

Acrophobia - fear of heights. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I mostly just feel insecure and anxious if I am in a high place, especially something like a balcony.

My sister wanted me to go up Seoul Tower with her. I said hell no. :p

This is an interesting thread! I did not know some of these phobias existed.
Emetophobia - fear of vomiting. I have panic attacks if I think I am going to throw up. I will do everything in my power to not vomit, which means avoiding foods that have made/I think made me vomit in the past. I have a lot of trouble watching shows or movies that depict characters doing that because I fear I will have a sympathetic reaction. I can't be around sick people because I become ridiculously anxious, thinking they will vomit where I can see/hear.

Acrophobia - fear of heights. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I mostly just feel insecure and anxious if I am in a high place, especially something like a balcony.

My sister wanted me to go up Seoul Tower with her. I said hell no. :p

This is an interesting thread! I did not know some of these phobias existed.
1 2 3 4 5