Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Doing a project on phobias (need help!)
1 2 3 4 5
Oh, I also have one to explain, although I don't know if there's a specific word for it.

At first I thought it was apiphobia (fear of bees), but now I've realized that I'm actually more specifically afraid of buzzing noises. When I was little, I would go sprinting wildly as far away as possible if I so much as thought I heard a bee buzzing around; adrenaline kicked in the fight-or-flight response and I chose flight.
I've gotten better about that last part, but I still really don't like moving anywhere close to a bee, and will either stop, or move quickly out of the way if it comes near me.

However, I also have a similar reaction to hairdryers, which make a loud buzzing-like noise. Obviously I know it's not a bee, but all the same I freeze and have to restrain myself from tucking my neck in and leaning away whenever my sister or mom tries to dry my hair (as this is not something I would willingly do myself because of the noise it makes, the majority of the time I do not blowdry my hair).

My house also has a problem where stinkbugs find their way indoors and wander around. They're completely harmless and I know this, but they come out of nowhere and make a loud buzzing noise, usually around the light in my room. Same goes for mud-dobbers, which are wasp mimics and again, harmless, and when one's in my room I know it's not a wasp but the buzzing noise causes me to become extremely anxious and I usually relocate for an hour or so, or call my brother to come kill it.

I've also run away from a hummingbird before.
Oh, I also have one to explain, although I don't know if there's a specific word for it.

At first I thought it was apiphobia (fear of bees), but now I've realized that I'm actually more specifically afraid of buzzing noises. When I was little, I would go sprinting wildly as far away as possible if I so much as thought I heard a bee buzzing around; adrenaline kicked in the fight-or-flight response and I chose flight.
I've gotten better about that last part, but I still really don't like moving anywhere close to a bee, and will either stop, or move quickly out of the way if it comes near me.

However, I also have a similar reaction to hairdryers, which make a loud buzzing-like noise. Obviously I know it's not a bee, but all the same I freeze and have to restrain myself from tucking my neck in and leaning away whenever my sister or mom tries to dry my hair (as this is not something I would willingly do myself because of the noise it makes, the majority of the time I do not blowdry my hair).

My house also has a problem where stinkbugs find their way indoors and wander around. They're completely harmless and I know this, but they come out of nowhere and make a loud buzzing noise, usually around the light in my room. Same goes for mud-dobbers, which are wasp mimics and again, harmless, and when one's in my room I know it's not a wasp but the buzzing noise causes me to become extremely anxious and I usually relocate for an hour or so, or call my brother to come kill it.

I've also run away from a hummingbird before.
tumblr_o0esauQ9Hj1tfzajgo1_500.png
I see emetophobia is already listed, but I have it and have recently had two anxiety attacks from it. :/ Those in particular were triggered by a documentary that had a lot of dry-heaving in it--It started making me feel nauseous the more my mind lingered on it, and then my body locked up when I started feeling like I was going to throw up (though that never ended up happening since my stomach wasn't actually upset about anything).

I don't see pedophobia (fear of children) listed, and I'm pretty sure I have some mild form of it. Hasn't resulted in any attacks yet, but I get all kinds of nervous and anxious around kids, especially babies. I've heard this might even be connected to emetophobia (babies spitting up often and unpredictably), but I think it's gotten worse since I've gotten married--I have zero maternal instincts and currently don't ever plan on parenting, but I feel a lot of pressure to eventually become one. (Admittedly, a lot of it is imagined---my parents have never directly asked me about my plans, but they love children so much that I'm sure it'll disappoint them terribly)
I see emetophobia is already listed, but I have it and have recently had two anxiety attacks from it. :/ Those in particular were triggered by a documentary that had a lot of dry-heaving in it--It started making me feel nauseous the more my mind lingered on it, and then my body locked up when I started feeling like I was going to throw up (though that never ended up happening since my stomach wasn't actually upset about anything).

I don't see pedophobia (fear of children) listed, and I'm pretty sure I have some mild form of it. Hasn't resulted in any attacks yet, but I get all kinds of nervous and anxious around kids, especially babies. I've heard this might even be connected to emetophobia (babies spitting up often and unpredictably), but I think it's gotten worse since I've gotten married--I have zero maternal instincts and currently don't ever plan on parenting, but I feel a lot of pressure to eventually become one. (Admittedly, a lot of it is imagined---my parents have never directly asked me about my plans, but they love children so much that I'm sure it'll disappoint them terribly)
Inspiration Tumblr
Art-only Tumblr
Chicken Tumblr
deviantArt
FurAffinity
Steam
instagram

Commissions Open! c: 10/10 slots available
Not sure if there's a word for it, but basically I have a fear of not being able to control what my body is doing - be it paralysis, loss of cognitive function in my brain, or simply having my feet strapped to wheels and trying to roller skate.

I really don't like the idea of forgetting who I am, or where I am, or things of that nature - therefore Alzheimer's is terrifying to me.
Not sure if there's a word for it, but basically I have a fear of not being able to control what my body is doing - be it paralysis, loss of cognitive function in my brain, or simply having my feet strapped to wheels and trying to roller skate.

I really don't like the idea of forgetting who I am, or where I am, or things of that nature - therefore Alzheimer's is terrifying to me.

I have Lutropublicaphobia and Paruresis which is the fear of public restrooms and the inability to urinate in the presence (real or imagined) of others. It sounds sort of funny to people who don't have it but it's actually caused a lot of trouble for me. Friends laugh and tell me I have an iron bladder because I can hold it for like 9 hours but it's less about "can" and more about "have to". And for me it doesn't have to be public, it can just be a restroom I'm not familiar with. Even in extreme "have to go" situations it's difficult for me to use a public restroom with out the need to ask someone to stand guard for me and not let someone else in.
I have Lutropublicaphobia and Paruresis which is the fear of public restrooms and the inability to urinate in the presence (real or imagined) of others. It sounds sort of funny to people who don't have it but it's actually caused a lot of trouble for me. Friends laugh and tell me I have an iron bladder because I can hold it for like 9 hours but it's less about "can" and more about "have to". And for me it doesn't have to be public, it can just be a restroom I'm not familiar with. Even in extreme "have to go" situations it's difficult for me to use a public restroom with out the need to ask someone to stand guard for me and not let someone else in.
Despite my anxiety disorder, after reading about phobias a bit, I somewhat doubt I currently have more than a few phobias. I think I have nyctophobia, especially as I can barely stand the dark and have not been able to ever since I was very young. Recently, I had to get up at around midnight because I had to go to the bathroom, but I turned back because a family member forgot to leave the hall light on (luckily, I was fine and just had to go in the morning). This also ties into a phobia I developed when I was very young--paraphobia, fear of the paranormal, especially ghosts. The thought of seeing something randomly makes me very uneasy. Blood makes me start to feel nauseated sometimes, but it mostly depends on the amount visible, but the name of this phobia is hematophobia.
These phobias mostly apply to real life, though, so I typically do not get triggered by things I see on television or games. Places in games such as the Old Chateau scared me pretty badly when I was younger, though.
Despite my anxiety disorder, after reading about phobias a bit, I somewhat doubt I currently have more than a few phobias. I think I have nyctophobia, especially as I can barely stand the dark and have not been able to ever since I was very young. Recently, I had to get up at around midnight because I had to go to the bathroom, but I turned back because a family member forgot to leave the hall light on (luckily, I was fine and just had to go in the morning). This also ties into a phobia I developed when I was very young--paraphobia, fear of the paranormal, especially ghosts. The thought of seeing something randomly makes me very uneasy. Blood makes me start to feel nauseated sometimes, but it mostly depends on the amount visible, but the name of this phobia is hematophobia.
These phobias mostly apply to real life, though, so I typically do not get triggered by things I see on television or games. Places in games such as the Old Chateau scared me pretty badly when I was younger, though.
9vqTYg0.gifcfa4eab0-1638-11eb-9b4b-e1371d599c63.gifa663c882-026b-11eb-9626-db1f1f278684.giffl0edFq.gif
Banner holder by me.
I believe I have aquaphobia which is a fear of water. I don't panic in the shower but I do have an unnaturally severe fear of drowning. The idea of it makes me severely uncomfortable. If I see a movie scene where someone is trapped underwater I almost break into a cold sweat. If I'm ever playing a video game and I have to swim in deep water I'm on the verge of tears. I refuse to go to swimming pools, I never go near murky water, I refuse to go near large bodies of water, and I will never go in water deeper than 4 feet. If my feet can't touch the ground I panic. This probably roots from times I was bullied as a child at the pool. More specifically I remember a preteen pushing me underwater when I was around 7 years old. I remember feeling terrified because I couldn't get to the surface, I thought I was going to die.
I believe I have aquaphobia which is a fear of water. I don't panic in the shower but I do have an unnaturally severe fear of drowning. The idea of it makes me severely uncomfortable. If I see a movie scene where someone is trapped underwater I almost break into a cold sweat. If I'm ever playing a video game and I have to swim in deep water I'm on the verge of tears. I refuse to go to swimming pools, I never go near murky water, I refuse to go near large bodies of water, and I will never go in water deeper than 4 feet. If my feet can't touch the ground I panic. This probably roots from times I was bullied as a child at the pool. More specifically I remember a preteen pushing me underwater when I was around 7 years old. I remember feeling terrified because I couldn't get to the surface, I thought I was going to die.
kEygMJz.png
Androphobia, the fear of men. Not necessarily linked to phallophobia, fear of the male organ, though if one has androphobia due to a traumatic experience they're often one in the same.

I've had both since I very young, due to certain events I don't really want to go into detail about. But basically if a man approaches me, no matter what his reason, I feel like something really bad is going to happen. Even if he's the nicest person in the world I feel like he's going to try and take advantage of me in some way. Usually I just get really hostile towards him, that's how I react to most things tbh. And any time penises are brought up I get really uncomfortable, sometimes to the point of having an attack.
Androphobia, the fear of men. Not necessarily linked to phallophobia, fear of the male organ, though if one has androphobia due to a traumatic experience they're often one in the same.

I've had both since I very young, due to certain events I don't really want to go into detail about. But basically if a man approaches me, no matter what his reason, I feel like something really bad is going to happen. Even if he's the nicest person in the world I feel like he's going to try and take advantage of me in some way. Usually I just get really hostile towards him, that's how I react to most things tbh. And any time penises are brought up I get really uncomfortable, sometimes to the point of having an attack.
K6TNbNL.pngrTAbL1h.pngKsEGa4k.pngipiaOGP.pngLrK9u2q.png
I'm not sure whether it's actually a phobia, but I'm terrified of dropping important objects down holes, such as storm grates or the little gap you have to step over when entering an elevator. I feel like if I don't hold tightly onto all small, important objects, they are going to somehow find a way to 'escape' and all fall down the hole/gap and be gone forever. It's very unnerving.

Good luck with your project!
I'm not sure whether it's actually a phobia, but I'm terrified of dropping important objects down holes, such as storm grates or the little gap you have to step over when entering an elevator. I feel like if I don't hold tightly onto all small, important objects, they are going to somehow find a way to 'escape' and all fall down the hole/gap and be gone forever. It's very unnerving.

Good luck with your project!
they/them or he/him please. I'm in FR time.
Coulrophobia. Yup, I'm afraid of clowns. They are evil and crazy things that I would like to see be gone from the world once and forever!!

Also Anthrophobia. The fear of people. I don't have it to badly, but I start freaking out in certain situations. (It's not good to have this when you have a class with 300+ students in one room. ._.)

I also have the fear of bleach touching me, though sadly this phobia is not common enough to have a name of it's own, since it is so rare. When handling pure bleach I make sure to have two layers of gloves on, long sleeves, and goggles. The stuff scares me since I had an incident with it when I was little.
Coulrophobia. Yup, I'm afraid of clowns. They are evil and crazy things that I would like to see be gone from the world once and forever!!

Also Anthrophobia. The fear of people. I don't have it to badly, but I start freaking out in certain situations. (It's not good to have this when you have a class with 300+ students in one room. ._.)

I also have the fear of bleach touching me, though sadly this phobia is not common enough to have a name of it's own, since it is so rare. When handling pure bleach I make sure to have two layers of gloves on, long sleeves, and goggles. The stuff scares me since I had an incident with it when I was little.
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
Globophobia: fear of balloons. Weird one, I know, but I just hate them, and always have since I was a kid. A large part is the popping. I can't even look directly at a balloon as I'm convinced my stare will be enough to make it pop. 8|
Also the texture, the sound they make when you touch them etc. Just hate them, and if I'm near one I really tense up, start sweating and getting a bit panicky and I absolutely cannot be in a closed room with one.

Although strangely I don't have a problem with the foil ones. In fact, I quite like them!
Globophobia: fear of balloons. Weird one, I know, but I just hate them, and always have since I was a kid. A large part is the popping. I can't even look directly at a balloon as I'm convinced my stare will be enough to make it pop. 8|
Also the texture, the sound they make when you touch them etc. Just hate them, and if I'm near one I really tense up, start sweating and getting a bit panicky and I absolutely cannot be in a closed room with one.

Although strangely I don't have a problem with the foil ones. In fact, I quite like them!
i2_zpse5888f61.png i1_zps0a156dc3.png
1 2 3 4 5