Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Too nervous to LARP/Table top game!
So, I'd like to preface this with:
I am a nerd. I do nerdy things. Especially things that allow me to not be me, even for a small amount of time.
I used to do a medieval LARP with my best friend, and it wasn't too bad. Being able to get in costume made me a lot less nervous. I was an assassin, I didn't talk much and mostly observed unless it was with people close to my character(in story).

I no longer do the medieval LARP, largely because all of the nice people got fed up with the...less nice ones and I didn't want to be around wholly unpleasant people either.
My boyfriend got me into table top games, namely Pathfinder, and I'm still very nervous about it. We play with his friend Ben, whose pretty laid back, so I'm not worried about doing something stupid. I just feel stupid about my lack of knowledge of the game(how it works, the setting that he and my BF have been playing for years, etc.)

So, I'm constantly getting frustrated or embarrassed about my lack of knowledge and articulation when it comes to carrying on the game, choosing actions, etc. But it's just the three of us, not too big of a deal.

Well, the three of us were invited to a new LARP group starting up. This one taking place in a more modern setting and following the 20th Anniversary book of Vampires: The Masquerade. Again, no previous knowledge about the setting, the groups, etc. I don't want to make stupid or annoying decisions, and it's even worse this time around because its with a large group of people, many of whom I don't know.

It only meets once a month, and I sat out and observed this time around. At first I couldn't see myself playing the game. Suspension of disbelief, just not there, not when it felt like a bunch of middle-schoolers attempting to recite a play, while trying to play dark and brooding characters.
That being said, I want to play, but all of these people have much more experience than I do(with LARPing, not acting xD) and I don't want to bungle things and look like an idiot. I'd probably have a minor panic attack and just withdraw.

Anyways, I'm just finding it frustrating, being incredibly concerned with doing it 'right'. Rather than just jumping in and having fun.

I'm probably nervous and worried about this than I should be xD
So, I'd like to preface this with:
I am a nerd. I do nerdy things. Especially things that allow me to not be me, even for a small amount of time.
I used to do a medieval LARP with my best friend, and it wasn't too bad. Being able to get in costume made me a lot less nervous. I was an assassin, I didn't talk much and mostly observed unless it was with people close to my character(in story).

I no longer do the medieval LARP, largely because all of the nice people got fed up with the...less nice ones and I didn't want to be around wholly unpleasant people either.
My boyfriend got me into table top games, namely Pathfinder, and I'm still very nervous about it. We play with his friend Ben, whose pretty laid back, so I'm not worried about doing something stupid. I just feel stupid about my lack of knowledge of the game(how it works, the setting that he and my BF have been playing for years, etc.)

So, I'm constantly getting frustrated or embarrassed about my lack of knowledge and articulation when it comes to carrying on the game, choosing actions, etc. But it's just the three of us, not too big of a deal.

Well, the three of us were invited to a new LARP group starting up. This one taking place in a more modern setting and following the 20th Anniversary book of Vampires: The Masquerade. Again, no previous knowledge about the setting, the groups, etc. I don't want to make stupid or annoying decisions, and it's even worse this time around because its with a large group of people, many of whom I don't know.

It only meets once a month, and I sat out and observed this time around. At first I couldn't see myself playing the game. Suspension of disbelief, just not there, not when it felt like a bunch of middle-schoolers attempting to recite a play, while trying to play dark and brooding characters.
That being said, I want to play, but all of these people have much more experience than I do(with LARPing, not acting xD) and I don't want to bungle things and look like an idiot. I'd probably have a minor panic attack and just withdraw.

Anyways, I'm just finding it frustrating, being incredibly concerned with doing it 'right'. Rather than just jumping in and having fun.

I'm probably nervous and worried about this than I should be xD
tumblr_og952mGjFx1vzfkcno1_75sq.giftumblr_ogb7llWAAL1vzfkcno1_100.giftumblr_og96j2sxWa1vzfkcno1_75sq.gif
@Desolim
While I don't LARP I do have experience with being a newbie when it comes to table top, so I don't know if any of my advice will help you.

With stuff like this you always have to remember that they were all just like you at some point, so if they're nice people they shouldn't be to hard on you if you screw up. When I first started table top games with my friends I had no idea how to play and was pretty nervous about the whole thing, didn't really talk much. What I found was once you start having fun and get real in to the game you stop really caring about how you look to others. These kinds of activities are something you get good at over time as you gain experience and joining in with that LARPing group might be a great stepping stone to getting better.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, I'm not really good at giving advice to others and I know if I was in your situation I'd feel the exact same way as you do.
@Desolim
While I don't LARP I do have experience with being a newbie when it comes to table top, so I don't know if any of my advice will help you.

With stuff like this you always have to remember that they were all just like you at some point, so if they're nice people they shouldn't be to hard on you if you screw up. When I first started table top games with my friends I had no idea how to play and was pretty nervous about the whole thing, didn't really talk much. What I found was once you start having fun and get real in to the game you stop really caring about how you look to others. These kinds of activities are something you get good at over time as you gain experience and joining in with that LARPing group might be a great stepping stone to getting better.

Sorry if I rambled a bit, I'm not really good at giving advice to others and I know if I was in your situation I'd feel the exact same way as you do.
DistinctPiercingBillygoat-small.gif tenor.gif
Being comfortable LARPing is an acquired skill. If you can, try to track down the main person running it and ask them if they could give you any advice or tips for getting into this new setting. Hopefully, you can find someone who would be willing to let you borrow the book that they're using so you can get a feel for the world. If all else fails, you could always just RP a very inexperienced vampire. :)
Being comfortable LARPing is an acquired skill. If you can, try to track down the main person running it and ask them if they could give you any advice or tips for getting into this new setting. Hopefully, you can find someone who would be willing to let you borrow the book that they're using so you can get a feel for the world. If all else fails, you could always just RP a very inexperienced vampire. :)
partymini.png
Doctor is right. It takes time to become accustomed and comfortable with RPing, whether it's LARPing or tabletopping.

My advice for your current LARP situation is to not play if you think you're going to have panic attacks over it. It's not fun for anyone involved. Get more used to putting yourself as another character out there before you join in on such an event. Tabletops are a good way to do that.

You are already handling tabletops great. Play with a group of people you know well, who won't be overly bothered by your 'newbiness,' and just play. Let me tell you, playing quiet characters is the worst way to get used to RPing. I tried that. It doesn't work out so well for anything but learning the mechanics of a system.

Figure out the play style of your group, whether by observing or asking directly, and come up with a character that likes to talk that fits the style. (By style in this context, I mean are they 'serious' players who are sitting down to take part in a grand adventure? Do they just want a silly, lighthearted game and have a pie-throwing villain? Is the game more of an excuse to get together and talk about life, with minimal focus on the actual storyline and many jokes about the situations you get into?)

While there is, in my opinion, technically a wrong way to play tabletops and LARPs, there is not necessarily a right way. Don't get hung up on doing everything right. People will correct your mistakes when it comes to mechanics. People will let you know if you aren't fitting into the setting of the game (if it matters). So all you need to do is be your character and be willing learn! It's alright to be nervous. Alot of people are in your situation. You learn, you get better, and you move on. Just give yourself some time and practice.
Doctor is right. It takes time to become accustomed and comfortable with RPing, whether it's LARPing or tabletopping.

My advice for your current LARP situation is to not play if you think you're going to have panic attacks over it. It's not fun for anyone involved. Get more used to putting yourself as another character out there before you join in on such an event. Tabletops are a good way to do that.

You are already handling tabletops great. Play with a group of people you know well, who won't be overly bothered by your 'newbiness,' and just play. Let me tell you, playing quiet characters is the worst way to get used to RPing. I tried that. It doesn't work out so well for anything but learning the mechanics of a system.

Figure out the play style of your group, whether by observing or asking directly, and come up with a character that likes to talk that fits the style. (By style in this context, I mean are they 'serious' players who are sitting down to take part in a grand adventure? Do they just want a silly, lighthearted game and have a pie-throwing villain? Is the game more of an excuse to get together and talk about life, with minimal focus on the actual storyline and many jokes about the situations you get into?)

While there is, in my opinion, technically a wrong way to play tabletops and LARPs, there is not necessarily a right way. Don't get hung up on doing everything right. People will correct your mistakes when it comes to mechanics. People will let you know if you aren't fitting into the setting of the game (if it matters). So all you need to do is be your character and be willing learn! It's alright to be nervous. Alot of people are in your situation. You learn, you get better, and you move on. Just give yourself some time and practice.
naturebanner.png