Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Question to people in art universities !
Soooo im thinking of majoring in graphic design because i enjoy the designing aspect a TON and being involved with businesses interests me a lot
If i were to apply decided as a graphic designer, would having an all traditional art portfolio harm me? Im in AP Art (Drawing) so i don't get a chance to work with computers unless im simply photoshopping my reference images. So I work in stuff like pastel, color pencil, acryllic, etc etc....
Should i attempt to mix in more digital art (im rly not a good digital painter and i feel like thats most viable) or is it ok to stick with traditional art?????? I feel like i cant actually put like logo designs in bc thats a waste of portfolio submission space.
meep sorry if this is confusing/specific, but honestly
im so confused about the portfolio part of applying for art colleges haha!
Soooo im thinking of majoring in graphic design because i enjoy the designing aspect a TON and being involved with businesses interests me a lot
If i were to apply decided as a graphic designer, would having an all traditional art portfolio harm me? Im in AP Art (Drawing) so i don't get a chance to work with computers unless im simply photoshopping my reference images. So I work in stuff like pastel, color pencil, acryllic, etc etc....
Should i attempt to mix in more digital art (im rly not a good digital painter and i feel like thats most viable) or is it ok to stick with traditional art?????? I feel like i cant actually put like logo designs in bc thats a waste of portfolio submission space.
meep sorry if this is confusing/specific, but honestly
im so confused about the portfolio part of applying for art colleges haha!
Ninian_dancer_ring_zpsiy9gxpns.gif
I can only speak for my Uni (I applied for Illustration), but it didn't seem to matter on most courses what was in the portfolio, as long as you can show a range of styles/methods. You'll have a lot of chances on the course to learn about digital art so I wouldn't worry too much if you have none. My portfolio was 100% traditional, with some photos of sculpture. Our university seemed to base the application process 50% on portfolio and 50% on the interview and how interested/passionate you seem.

Having some photoshopped images in your portfolio might be beneficial as you could point them out during the interview and mention that you've used it before (some people won't have even touched Photoshop so you could have an advantage here!)

Not sure if it'll be the same for you but at the 2 art universities I know people at, there was a waiting period before/after the interview where you sit in a group outside with a couple of students from higher years, make sure you ask lots of questions and stay focused during that (if you have it) as I'm pretty sure the students also have some weight in the decision.

Good luck! :3

(p.s I live in England, not sure where you are so this might all be irrelevant haha)
I can only speak for my Uni (I applied for Illustration), but it didn't seem to matter on most courses what was in the portfolio, as long as you can show a range of styles/methods. You'll have a lot of chances on the course to learn about digital art so I wouldn't worry too much if you have none. My portfolio was 100% traditional, with some photos of sculpture. Our university seemed to base the application process 50% on portfolio and 50% on the interview and how interested/passionate you seem.

Having some photoshopped images in your portfolio might be beneficial as you could point them out during the interview and mention that you've used it before (some people won't have even touched Photoshop so you could have an advantage here!)

Not sure if it'll be the same for you but at the 2 art universities I know people at, there was a waiting period before/after the interview where you sit in a group outside with a couple of students from higher years, make sure you ask lots of questions and stay focused during that (if you have it) as I'm pretty sure the students also have some weight in the decision.

Good luck! :3

(p.s I live in England, not sure where you are so this might all be irrelevant haha)
b6W0Gze.png
I'm an Animation student (in England) but I did go to a few Illustration and Graphic Design interviews as well. I think that some digital work will definitely help, but the main thing is strong ideas, and thinking about composition and all of the stuff that crosses over the different art subjects - you can lean digital later on.

One thing though - I did a foundation course before uni that was quite general until you chose a 'pathway' for a term- I chose graphic design, and we were made to do SO. MUCH. TYPOGRAPHY. Like seriously, I found it so dull and boring and I just wanted to draw, but it didn't give me much of a chance to. I think you should definitely research and see how much typography that course has, but that's what turned me away from the idea in some of my interviews as well.

Every course is different, and they might let you do a lot more drawing in it, it depends on what they kind of consider to be 'Graphic Design'. Do they have any past students' work up that you can check to see if they do the stuff that you like? (Also what exactly is it that you like designing? Because some other subjects involve a lot of designing as well, just in other ways. Although you're right about being involved with businesses but that isn't impossible with other art subjects as well).

And if you do want to throw in some digital stuff, I find that vectors (or even just using the pentool to make shapes on photoshop that looks like vectoring but isn't technically) goes down preeetttyyy well. And it doesn't take too long to learn!

TL;DR make sure that whatever design courses you look at involves things that you want to do, because I know a lot of people who have applied for one type of art course and found out too late that they have a very different ideas about what type of art that it is. Also you can get by with little digital work so long as the rest of your portfolio is great. Hope this helps :)
I'm an Animation student (in England) but I did go to a few Illustration and Graphic Design interviews as well. I think that some digital work will definitely help, but the main thing is strong ideas, and thinking about composition and all of the stuff that crosses over the different art subjects - you can lean digital later on.

One thing though - I did a foundation course before uni that was quite general until you chose a 'pathway' for a term- I chose graphic design, and we were made to do SO. MUCH. TYPOGRAPHY. Like seriously, I found it so dull and boring and I just wanted to draw, but it didn't give me much of a chance to. I think you should definitely research and see how much typography that course has, but that's what turned me away from the idea in some of my interviews as well.

Every course is different, and they might let you do a lot more drawing in it, it depends on what they kind of consider to be 'Graphic Design'. Do they have any past students' work up that you can check to see if they do the stuff that you like? (Also what exactly is it that you like designing? Because some other subjects involve a lot of designing as well, just in other ways. Although you're right about being involved with businesses but that isn't impossible with other art subjects as well).

And if you do want to throw in some digital stuff, I find that vectors (or even just using the pentool to make shapes on photoshop that looks like vectoring but isn't technically) goes down preeetttyyy well. And it doesn't take too long to learn!

TL;DR make sure that whatever design courses you look at involves things that you want to do, because I know a lot of people who have applied for one type of art course and found out too late that they have a very different ideas about what type of art that it is. Also you can get by with little digital work so long as the rest of your portfolio is great. Hope this helps :)
Xi4T1le.gif
ba2K7o5.gif
I think you should have some digital art too since most graphic design art seems to be digital, and having digital art in your portfolio might make you look more prepared.
I think you should have some digital art too since most graphic design art seems to be digital, and having digital art in your portfolio might make you look more prepared.
my colors!
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif