Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Dragon Writers' Chat: September Edition
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 59 60
@paintminion - this week, you will conquer the next chapter. You are SOOOOOO close! I can't wait to read it!

I have almost nailed down the steampunk mystery. Buuuuuuut I have to revise book two of the Horizon series first. So many ideas... so little time...
@paintminion - this week, you will conquer the next chapter. You are SOOOOOO close! I can't wait to read it!

I have almost nailed down the steampunk mystery. Buuuuuuut I have to revise book two of the Horizon series first. So many ideas... so little time...
@LadyRowyn - I feel your pain. I have three WIPs right now demanding attention. I have to get book two of the mystery series revised because I promised it to people by January. Then there's this fantasy that is calling me... but then at GeekKon I came up with this juicy steampunk thing.

My best advice is that if you're working on something and don't really feel it, you aren't giving it your best. And every story deserves your best. On the other hand, don't do what I did for years and let the next new shiny thing keep you from finishing because you're *gasp* fearful of finishing.

If Birthright is what calls you, then you just need to figure out what about isn't working for you. Your gut probably knows... and if not Paintminion and I would be happy to help you brainstorm!

Good luck!!
@LadyRowyn - I feel your pain. I have three WIPs right now demanding attention. I have to get book two of the mystery series revised because I promised it to people by January. Then there's this fantasy that is calling me... but then at GeekKon I came up with this juicy steampunk thing.

My best advice is that if you're working on something and don't really feel it, you aren't giving it your best. And every story deserves your best. On the other hand, don't do what I did for years and let the next new shiny thing keep you from finishing because you're *gasp* fearful of finishing.

If Birthright is what calls you, then you just need to figure out what about isn't working for you. Your gut probably knows... and if not Paintminion and I would be happy to help you brainstorm!

Good luck!!
@LadyRowyn - I agree it's a bit longish... but what I'm missing is something personal. Can you give us an example of a time she made a fool of herself with a man? Something solid for us to go, oh, yeah, I can totally see myself doing that (or, wow, some girlfriend needs to take her aside and give her flirting lessons). Or an example of a suitor that she knows is a lying *******. Show me, don't tell me. Let me see a glimpse of her experiences here.

Just my thoughts.
@LadyRowyn - I agree it's a bit longish... but what I'm missing is something personal. Can you give us an example of a time she made a fool of herself with a man? Something solid for us to go, oh, yeah, I can totally see myself doing that (or, wow, some girlfriend needs to take her aside and give her flirting lessons). Or an example of a suitor that she knows is a lying *******. Show me, don't tell me. Let me see a glimpse of her experiences here.

Just my thoughts.
Looking for some help. I've gone and taken on a critique of a book I never should have agreed to critique. (Would someone just smack me with a 2x4 the next time I raise my hand to volunteer?)

However, since the writer is looking for critiques, if I have to turn her down, I feel like I ought to at least find a replacement. The novel is horror/fantasy, and she's got some good ideas, but not being familiar with the genre, I'm really struggling with her pacing and the reveals (or lack thereof). It's just not my genre. Anyone know anybody who reads heavily in the horror/fantasy genre and is willing to help a first time novelist?
Looking for some help. I've gone and taken on a critique of a book I never should have agreed to critique. (Would someone just smack me with a 2x4 the next time I raise my hand to volunteer?)

However, since the writer is looking for critiques, if I have to turn her down, I feel like I ought to at least find a replacement. The novel is horror/fantasy, and she's got some good ideas, but not being familiar with the genre, I'm really struggling with her pacing and the reveals (or lack thereof). It's just not my genre. Anyone know anybody who reads heavily in the horror/fantasy genre and is willing to help a first time novelist?
@micahjaguar Yay, Gechel's recovering! \o/ Bellus looks very fierce in all that armor.

Perhaps it won't be too hard for Filia to figure out who would've sent the letter, if not Anoitos himself -- after all, Anoitos did not have too many friends ....

@IvoryMuffin She's beautifully creepy! I like it.

@chalcara Good for you, in pricing your work according to your value of your time. :)

I feel like a lot of artists price their work very low because they're desperate to make sales, or because they think of their market as "my circle of really poor friends", and it doesn't work very well for them. OTOH, some people price low because drawing is their favorite thing to do and payment is just a lagniappe for them. In any case, it's unproductive for others to whinge about them "undercutting" the market. :/ And Micah is right that even if one could somehow get all artists to raise their prices in sync, that doesn't mean all existing customers are suddenly going to be willing to pay more for it.
@micahjaguar Yay, Gechel's recovering! \o/ Bellus looks very fierce in all that armor.

Perhaps it won't be too hard for Filia to figure out who would've sent the letter, if not Anoitos himself -- after all, Anoitos did not have too many friends ....

@IvoryMuffin She's beautifully creepy! I like it.

@chalcara Good for you, in pricing your work according to your value of your time. :)

I feel like a lot of artists price their work very low because they're desperate to make sales, or because they think of their market as "my circle of really poor friends", and it doesn't work very well for them. OTOH, some people price low because drawing is their favorite thing to do and payment is just a lagniappe for them. In any case, it's unproductive for others to whinge about them "undercutting" the market. :/ And Micah is right that even if one could somehow get all artists to raise their prices in sync, that doesn't mean all existing customers are suddenly going to be willing to pay more for it.
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
@IvoryMuffin (I keep trying to combine your name with BombSwan's and typing IvorySwan instead XD): hey, thanks for the suggested wording/punctuation change! Just seeing how someone else might say it is very helpful. :)

@PocketTheSaurus Welcome back! Omigosh, yes, sailing a ship is way more complicated than it appears. I read a 20-book Age-of-Sail fiction series, which gave me just enough information to know how much I don't know. XD

@Kelwyn Yeah, I like to stick to projects until I'm finished with them, or at least until it's at a reasonable end point. But there've also been times when I quit, because it was just too much effort for the return involved. I actually have a piece of original art that I bought from Micah -- a "get out of jail free card" -- to remind me that I can quit if I have to. :)
@IvoryMuffin (I keep trying to combine your name with BombSwan's and typing IvorySwan instead XD): hey, thanks for the suggested wording/punctuation change! Just seeing how someone else might say it is very helpful. :)

@PocketTheSaurus Welcome back! Omigosh, yes, sailing a ship is way more complicated than it appears. I read a 20-book Age-of-Sail fiction series, which gave me just enough information to know how much I don't know. XD

@Kelwyn Yeah, I like to stick to projects until I'm finished with them, or at least until it's at a reasonable end point. But there've also been times when I quit, because it was just too much effort for the return involved. I actually have a piece of original art that I bought from Micah -- a "get out of jail free card" -- to remind me that I can quit if I have to. :)
Author Website: LadyRowyn.com
I remember when I was first embarking on my professional writing career. I'd bought several magazines so I could "know my markets" before sending my short stories to them. In one of them there was a column by a well-known writer, in which he told all the hobbyist writers that they should stop submitting stories to magazines because there was only so much money to be paid out from them, and so the hobbyists should leave those slots for the 'real writers' who need to sell their writing to pay their bills.

I have never, ever forgotten that man's name. And to this day have never bought anything he's ever written.

(I have since met him personally, and found him as repugnant as his opinions suggested he might be.)

When I hear artists complaining about underpricing, they come in two variants. I don't mind the variant that tells another artist, 'you're underpricing because you're so GOOD!' because that's a form of encouragement... and if the artist needs it, it's good to hear. (And if they don't they can be flattered but say 'hey, it's okay, this is the price I'm happy with.) But the variant that gets angry or righteous about other artists' prices because it makes their lives more difficult always remind me of that guy, who wanted all the hobbyists and amateurs to take their balls and go home.

*shakes head*
I remember when I was first embarking on my professional writing career. I'd bought several magazines so I could "know my markets" before sending my short stories to them. In one of them there was a column by a well-known writer, in which he told all the hobbyist writers that they should stop submitting stories to magazines because there was only so much money to be paid out from them, and so the hobbyists should leave those slots for the 'real writers' who need to sell their writing to pay their bills.

I have never, ever forgotten that man's name. And to this day have never bought anything he's ever written.

(I have since met him personally, and found him as repugnant as his opinions suggested he might be.)

When I hear artists complaining about underpricing, they come in two variants. I don't mind the variant that tells another artist, 'you're underpricing because you're so GOOD!' because that's a form of encouragement... and if the artist needs it, it's good to hear. (And if they don't they can be flattered but say 'hey, it's okay, this is the price I'm happy with.) But the variant that gets angry or righteous about other artists' prices because it makes their lives more difficult always remind me of that guy, who wanted all the hobbyists and amateurs to take their balls and go home.

*shakes head*
Traveling Wind Clan! We have toured every Flight in Sornieth!
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
@micahjaguar - A published writer actually discouraged someone from writing to "leave the slots for the 'real writers'"? Wow. That's just sad. I can't believe someone actually said that. Beyond that, it seems to be pricing is a personal choice, probably based on a lot of variables.
@micahjaguar - A published writer actually discouraged someone from writing to "leave the slots for the 'real writers'"? Wow. That's just sad. I can't believe someone actually said that. Beyond that, it seems to be pricing is a personal choice, probably based on a lot of variables.
@Kelwyn Yes, indeed. He really did. I couldn't believe it myself when I read it. :,
@Kelwyn Yes, indeed. He really did. I couldn't believe it myself when I read it. :,
Traveling Wind Clan! We have toured every Flight in Sornieth!
We completed our round-the-world tour on July 6th, 2020 and are once again home in Wind!

Previous Visits: Wind, Earth, Light, Shadow, Nature, Arcane, Ice, Fire, Water, Lightning, Plague
@micahjaguar ~ Oh wow! Congrats! Cheimon looks absolutely stunning! ♥ @SadariEvenstar ~ I'd personally recommend giving it to either DawnSinger, May, or Luminous. ^^; DawnSinger or May probably look the best with it in my opinion. X3 Anyway, I have the most fantastic news! One of my first 2 breeding projects just ended, I got my Impossible Girl: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=6093922] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/60940/6093922_350.png[/img] [/url] The whole aim of the project was to produce a female guardian with Purple Basic, Sky Eye Spots, and Rose Crackle. ♥ I'm so happy this project is finally over. I hated holding onto the dragon who fathered her because I was borrowing him from a fellow Windy for the project, but now he can finally go home and I finally get my little Clara. ♥ This has to be the best early birthday present ever! ♥ Well...considering my birthday isn't for another 9 days, I'm sure there's more to look forward to, but this makes for a great start to my birth month. ♥ Also, is it weird that I now want to get a dragon with the ID# 9112001? In commemoration of my 7th birthday and what happened that day in my country? ^^;
@micahjaguar ~ Oh wow! Congrats! Cheimon looks absolutely stunning! ♥

@SadariEvenstar ~ I'd personally recommend giving it to either DawnSinger, May, or Luminous. ^^; DawnSinger or May probably look the best with it in my opinion. X3

Anyway, I have the most fantastic news! One of my first 2 breeding projects just ended, I got my Impossible Girl:

6093922_350.png

The whole aim of the project was to produce a female guardian with Purple Basic, Sky Eye Spots, and Rose Crackle. ♥ I'm so happy this project is finally over. I hated holding onto the dragon who fathered her because I was borrowing him from a fellow Windy for the project, but now he can finally go home and I finally get my little Clara. ♥
This has to be the best early birthday present ever! ♥ Well...considering my birthday isn't for another 9 days, I'm sure there's more to look forward to, but this makes for a great start to my birth month. ♥

Also, is it weird that I now want to get a dragon with the ID# 9112001? In commemoration of my 7th birthday and what happened that day in my country? ^^;
Wj3N42A.pngvoNNCyf.pngyEMmEQl.png
Hello! I'm an old member from 2014 who is trying to be more active again! I have ADHD and I'm in college, so we'll see how long I last lol
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 59 60