Back

Raffles & Giveaways

Share your raffles and giveaways with the Flight Rising community.
TOPIC | BOOLEAN GIVEAWAY - HOLY GUACAMOLE
1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
... okay i'm hoping entries are still open ;u; i edited my post on page one to include it! i would love feedback, if you find the time at all!

it was fun to write this story and explore the world of FR a little bit. good luck to all the other participants!
... okay i'm hoping entries are still open ;u; i edited my post on page one to include it! i would love feedback, if you find the time at all!

it was fun to write this story and explore the world of FR a little bit. good luck to all the other participants!
@Ghurab I hope this is not too long. I worked very hard on it, even researching bee behavior and such. It is about three and a half double-spaced pages in google docs so I think that should be okay.

The First Familiar

No light reaches the innermost chambers of a hive, but bees and Boolean both can easily navigate by sound, memory, and above all, scent. Today, I do not like what I smell.

The ripe fruit fragrance of growing larvae should be thick, but the brood holds only traces. Most of the honeycomb cells are empty, or seeded with an egg that will never hatch. A meager band of workers shuffles over the open hexagons feeding pollen to what larvae we have. Sometimes they release a jet of astringent, sour pheromones signalling trouble, worry, dismay. In the distance I hear others fanning their wings to keep the brood from overheating, but it is only a near-inaudible whisper instead of the resonant hum it should be.

Boolean have kept bees for generations, but it can’t last much longer. Our carefully bred subspecies of the local perdita bees cannot survive in what Carrion Canyon has become.

Oh, it’s always been dry. But on still evenings, dew used to condense out of the cooling air onto each cactus needle, each droplet like an egg. Sometimes a flash flood would scour through the wends and forks of the canyon. Where the waters passed, they spirited away half-decayed animal carcasses, leaving clean sand and, after a few days, a carpet of desert blooms as sudden and short-lived as an eclipse.

I do not think any living Boolean has seen a flood.

Two of the workers brush against each other, hairs rasping slightly, and—zrrp!—a spark jumps from one to the other. The shocked worker spasms once and I smell bright citrus: alarm! confusion! Senses overwhelmed, the poor bee thrashes like a lizard in a dragon’s mouth. Her fellow workers instinctively encircle her and carry her out of the brood. The calming pheromone they emit smells like rain.

We might have been able to weather the drought. The electricity is our real doom. Boolean-bred bees are highly electroreceptive, able to control currents much weaker than we Boolean can even sense. It was their greatest ability and now it’s killing them. A small spark must feel like staring at the sun. I’ve seen a shocked bee go instantaneously mad and fly full speed into the ground. I’ve seen one sting the worker that came to help it, killing both.

I leave the brood and crawl to the empty room at the top of the hive. Sunken into the wax wall is a hexagonal plate the size of my head, made of silicon painstakingly refined from sand. When I touch it with my antennae, it is as if a thunderstorm blooms in my nervous system, from empty sky to puffy cumulus to towering cloud-massif in nanoseconds. My mind is suddenly vast. I feel the whole hive like my own body: electroreceptive bees shuffling conductive honey in complex algorithms, veins of silicon bearing signals like pheromones.

Imagine flying through a narrow canyon, unable to see much but sandstone to your sides and a stripe of sky above. Then the gorge opens up to a valley and reveals every possible route to the horizon at once. When connected to the hive-computer, I can predict what will happen an hour from now, a day, a year, but not through magic, as some creatures do. Rather, it is just obvious. When you see a falling stone, you can predict it will hit the ground. With the hyperintelligence of the hive at my command, many future events are like falling stones.

And now I know for sure: it is too late for our bees. They are too few. They will die off. That rockslide has already started and nothing can stop it. Without them, we must devise another way to use the hive-computers, or lose hyperintelligence forever. Worst of all, the electricity is killing us too. Much slower, with our weaker electroreceptivity, but I now see that it will nonetheless eat away at Boolean society like termites through a dead desert pine.

But unlike our bees, we still have time. We have not passed the edge of the cliff. Ideas erupt through my neurons, but hyperintelligence is not omniscience. No matter how high you fly, some things are just too far to see. I have built a plan out of my quick, far-gazing thoughts, but not even the hive-computer can predict whether it will work.

I step backwards and my consciousness shrivels back to normal. I always feel slow and stupid after linking with a hive. I remember what I learned but I can’t fathom how I figured it out. How eerie, to have the memory of power without the power, to be incapable of grasping thoughts I had mere seconds ago. They have already drained out of me like blood from a wound.

I fly out of the hive. I wish I could tell someone where I was going, but my nearest neighbor is several gullies over. It hurts to abandon my flock, but I know they are already lost. How could I even say goodbye? No mere pheromone can say tragedy, loss, grief.

Eventually I crest the eastern lip of the canyon, emerging into the sunset’s long rays. They warm my back for a while, until night rings the entire horizon and the last of the heat dissolves into the wind. Still, I press eastward. Ahead in the distance the sky flickers ultraviolet with lightning, broken by dark claw-shaped gaps. The closer I get, the taller they loom.

Before I can see them any more clearly, I can feel them, pushing and pulling tidelike on my mind. These voltages dwarf our hive-computers by orders of magnitude. The draped cables are still invisible in the dark but their currents tug on me, impossible to ignore. And through it all, the lightning stabs. It would be easier to fly through a tornado! Is that throbbing in my brain real or imagined?

The spires are starting to glint copper with sunrise. I barely notice. I’m tired and drowning in electricity, but I force myself to scan the ground for caves, claw gouges, scorched bones… anything that might mark a dragon’s lair.

Thus, I am taken completely unaware by the behemoth plummeting at me from above.

Before I even realize what is happening, I am pinned in the dust beneath one forefoot. It is so gigantic that its wingtips are far outside my field of view. But the teeth—arcs like enormous shiny stingers—are all too near. Even the nose is a deadly spike. My wings flutter involuntarily in its hot breath.

A pair of eyes darts from my antennae to my abdomen. They squint, and I can guess the dragon is puzzled by the geometric motes that sometimes flicker around me. After a pause in which I swear even the thunder hushes, it slowly lifts its foot. I think it expects me to flee.

It takes every drop of courage in me to instead buzz up to it and approach that face, those teeth. It only watches me, so I hover closer. When it doesn’t move, I tentatively alight on the very point of its nose. It blinks at me several times. I hesitantly press one antenna to the smooth, dry scales and give it the slightest nuzzle.

A sudden rumbly chuffing noise almost startles me back into the air, but the dragon seems… pleased? It gently plucks me from its nose and places me into some pouches slung across its body before leaping once more into the sky and turning toward its home.

No. Our home.
@Ghurab I hope this is not too long. I worked very hard on it, even researching bee behavior and such. It is about three and a half double-spaced pages in google docs so I think that should be okay.

The First Familiar

No light reaches the innermost chambers of a hive, but bees and Boolean both can easily navigate by sound, memory, and above all, scent. Today, I do not like what I smell.

The ripe fruit fragrance of growing larvae should be thick, but the brood holds only traces. Most of the honeycomb cells are empty, or seeded with an egg that will never hatch. A meager band of workers shuffles over the open hexagons feeding pollen to what larvae we have. Sometimes they release a jet of astringent, sour pheromones signalling trouble, worry, dismay. In the distance I hear others fanning their wings to keep the brood from overheating, but it is only a near-inaudible whisper instead of the resonant hum it should be.

Boolean have kept bees for generations, but it can’t last much longer. Our carefully bred subspecies of the local perdita bees cannot survive in what Carrion Canyon has become.

Oh, it’s always been dry. But on still evenings, dew used to condense out of the cooling air onto each cactus needle, each droplet like an egg. Sometimes a flash flood would scour through the wends and forks of the canyon. Where the waters passed, they spirited away half-decayed animal carcasses, leaving clean sand and, after a few days, a carpet of desert blooms as sudden and short-lived as an eclipse.

I do not think any living Boolean has seen a flood.

Two of the workers brush against each other, hairs rasping slightly, and—zrrp!—a spark jumps from one to the other. The shocked worker spasms once and I smell bright citrus: alarm! confusion! Senses overwhelmed, the poor bee thrashes like a lizard in a dragon’s mouth. Her fellow workers instinctively encircle her and carry her out of the brood. The calming pheromone they emit smells like rain.

We might have been able to weather the drought. The electricity is our real doom. Boolean-bred bees are highly electroreceptive, able to control currents much weaker than we Boolean can even sense. It was their greatest ability and now it’s killing them. A small spark must feel like staring at the sun. I’ve seen a shocked bee go instantaneously mad and fly full speed into the ground. I’ve seen one sting the worker that came to help it, killing both.

I leave the brood and crawl to the empty room at the top of the hive. Sunken into the wax wall is a hexagonal plate the size of my head, made of silicon painstakingly refined from sand. When I touch it with my antennae, it is as if a thunderstorm blooms in my nervous system, from empty sky to puffy cumulus to towering cloud-massif in nanoseconds. My mind is suddenly vast. I feel the whole hive like my own body: electroreceptive bees shuffling conductive honey in complex algorithms, veins of silicon bearing signals like pheromones.

Imagine flying through a narrow canyon, unable to see much but sandstone to your sides and a stripe of sky above. Then the gorge opens up to a valley and reveals every possible route to the horizon at once. When connected to the hive-computer, I can predict what will happen an hour from now, a day, a year, but not through magic, as some creatures do. Rather, it is just obvious. When you see a falling stone, you can predict it will hit the ground. With the hyperintelligence of the hive at my command, many future events are like falling stones.

And now I know for sure: it is too late for our bees. They are too few. They will die off. That rockslide has already started and nothing can stop it. Without them, we must devise another way to use the hive-computers, or lose hyperintelligence forever. Worst of all, the electricity is killing us too. Much slower, with our weaker electroreceptivity, but I now see that it will nonetheless eat away at Boolean society like termites through a dead desert pine.

But unlike our bees, we still have time. We have not passed the edge of the cliff. Ideas erupt through my neurons, but hyperintelligence is not omniscience. No matter how high you fly, some things are just too far to see. I have built a plan out of my quick, far-gazing thoughts, but not even the hive-computer can predict whether it will work.

I step backwards and my consciousness shrivels back to normal. I always feel slow and stupid after linking with a hive. I remember what I learned but I can’t fathom how I figured it out. How eerie, to have the memory of power without the power, to be incapable of grasping thoughts I had mere seconds ago. They have already drained out of me like blood from a wound.

I fly out of the hive. I wish I could tell someone where I was going, but my nearest neighbor is several gullies over. It hurts to abandon my flock, but I know they are already lost. How could I even say goodbye? No mere pheromone can say tragedy, loss, grief.

Eventually I crest the eastern lip of the canyon, emerging into the sunset’s long rays. They warm my back for a while, until night rings the entire horizon and the last of the heat dissolves into the wind. Still, I press eastward. Ahead in the distance the sky flickers ultraviolet with lightning, broken by dark claw-shaped gaps. The closer I get, the taller they loom.

Before I can see them any more clearly, I can feel them, pushing and pulling tidelike on my mind. These voltages dwarf our hive-computers by orders of magnitude. The draped cables are still invisible in the dark but their currents tug on me, impossible to ignore. And through it all, the lightning stabs. It would be easier to fly through a tornado! Is that throbbing in my brain real or imagined?

The spires are starting to glint copper with sunrise. I barely notice. I’m tired and drowning in electricity, but I force myself to scan the ground for caves, claw gouges, scorched bones… anything that might mark a dragon’s lair.

Thus, I am taken completely unaware by the behemoth plummeting at me from above.

Before I even realize what is happening, I am pinned in the dust beneath one forefoot. It is so gigantic that its wingtips are far outside my field of view. But the teeth—arcs like enormous shiny stingers—are all too near. Even the nose is a deadly spike. My wings flutter involuntarily in its hot breath.

A pair of eyes darts from my antennae to my abdomen. They squint, and I can guess the dragon is puzzled by the geometric motes that sometimes flicker around me. After a pause in which I swear even the thunder hushes, it slowly lifts its foot. I think it expects me to flee.

It takes every drop of courage in me to instead buzz up to it and approach that face, those teeth. It only watches me, so I hover closer. When it doesn’t move, I tentatively alight on the very point of its nose. It blinks at me several times. I hesitantly press one antenna to the smooth, dry scales and give it the slightest nuzzle.

A sudden rumbly chuffing noise almost startles me back into the air, but the dragon seems… pleased? It gently plucks me from its nose and places me into some pouches slung across its body before leaping once more into the sky and turning toward its home.

No. Our home.
@Ghurab [img]http://33.media.tumblr.com/3b3234acaad38e396944a2479733c4fe/tumblr_nb7go6E9oP1sk1uodo1_1280.png[/img] His right hand bee ~one of the first functioning Boolean prototypes, that’s why his head’s so big, it’s full of secrets
@Ghurab

tumblr_nb7go6E9oP1sk1uodo1_1280.png

His right hand bee

~one of the first functioning Boolean prototypes, that’s why his head’s so big, it’s full of secrets
[center][size=2][img]https://38.media.tumblr.com/864838073a91e5c610c677c1f807eb54/tumblr_nb7hhaOJDS1tor0x6o1_500.png[/img] [img]https://33.media.tumblr.com/eade36be0835f968e90fe6cc34d6fcbf/tumblr_nb7m8sHpVF1tdk32io1_1280.png[/img] WHEW did NOT think I'd get this in on time! I made a Boolean hide and seek game in spirit of the game itself, Flight Rising! [quote]Installation of the RPG Maker VX Ace RTP is required to play. [url=http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/additional/run-time-packages#rpg-maker-vx-ace]Download Here![/url] (if the game isn't working for you and you have a mac, [url=http://rpgosx.tumblr.com/games]try here![/url] [url=http://www.mediafire.com/download/784d953b92mmi9d/boolean.exe] [u][b]DOWNLOAD THE GAME HERE[/b][/u][/url][/quote] [size=2] [u][b]Notes:[/b][/u] I think it runs fine. The end should allow you to play again but if anyone has any troubles, let me know! I didn't have time to make a dragon selection like I wanted, so to be fair to everyone I have the player as a non-gendered happy dragon flame (: [b]For those who don't like loud noises[/b], there is a loud lightning noise when you click, "start game!" If you're startled easily, please turn your sound down! You can turn it up afterwards tho (: The initial setting is based in the Shifting Expanse to convey lightning territory I wish I could have done more but I was only hit with this last minute, terribly sorry its not more engaging! x x x edit: Fixed the loop a friend said wasn't working right, I'm not sure what happened but it works now. Only you see 2 Booleans at one point before the other disappears! Guess there's a 'bug' in the system ;D Fixed speech text and fixed randomizing, the rng is a bit funny sometimes tho so don't be weirded out if it pops up twice in the same place, LOL Please let me know what you think!
tumblr_nb7hhaOJDS1tor0x6o1_500.png

tumblr_nb7m8sHpVF1tdk32io1_1280.png

WHEW did NOT think I'd get this in on time! I made a Boolean hide and seek game in spirit of the game itself, Flight Rising!

Quote:
Installation of the RPG Maker VX Ace RTP is required to play.
Download Here!

(if the game isn't working for you and you have a mac, try here!

DOWNLOAD THE GAME HERE

Notes:
I think it runs fine. The end should allow you to play again but if anyone has any troubles, let me know!

I didn't have time to make a dragon selection like I wanted, so to be fair to everyone I have the player as a non-gendered happy dragon flame (:

For those who don't like loud noises, there is a loud lightning noise when you click, "start game!" If you're startled easily, please turn your sound down! You can turn it up afterwards tho (:

The initial setting is based in the Shifting Expanse to convey lightning territory
I wish I could have done more but I was only hit with this last minute, terribly sorry its not more engaging!

x
x
x

edit: Fixed the loop a friend said wasn't working right, I'm not sure what happened but it works now. Only you see 2 Booleans at one point before the other disappears! Guess there's a 'bug' in the system ;D

Fixed speech text and fixed randomizing, the rng is a bit funny sometimes tho so don't be weirded out if it pops up twice in the same place, LOL

Please let me know what you think!
Here is my entry, watch for more than 8 slides please
E:\booleen finished product.gif (yeah, links are evil)
Here is my entry, watch for more than 8 slides please
E:\booleen finished product.gif (yeah, links are evil)
CsHuDmW.pngHLHYMXr.pngHib.png
Good luck everyone! *failed to enter... Get's yelled at by The Boss to get back to work, even though she isn't in Lightning*
Good luck everyone! *failed to enter... Get's yelled at by The Boss to get back to work, even though she isn't in Lightning*
UbEcJMn.png
@Ghurab Here's my last minute entry!!! Omg can't believe I finished it XD I saw this awesome contest today and just started sculpting the little buddy! Sculpey Boolean with paper wings! Also green parts glow in the dark ^__^ (took me about 7 hours to do, color making and varnish included) [img]http://i.imgur.com/GNjgduR.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/A7THbl2.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/V8yZxCA.jpg[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/MbkW6mA.jpg[/img] Good luck to everyone! So many wonderful entries!
@Ghurab

Here's my last minute entry!!! Omg can't believe I finished it XD
I saw this awesome contest today and just started sculpting the little buddy!
Sculpey Boolean with paper wings! Also green parts glow in the dark ^__^

(took me about 7 hours to do, color making and varnish included)
GNjgduR.jpg
A7THbl2.jpg
V8yZxCA.jpg
MbkW6mA.jpg

Good luck to everyone! So many wonderful entries!
FlightRising Tumblr Account / / Deviantart Account / / Art Tumblr Account / /
Familiars Trade Forum Thread / / Sculpey Figurine Art Trade Forum Thread
@Ghurab
Sliding in right at the last minute!

When your high-tech digital familiar starts glitching out, what can you do? Now you're stuck with that boring old thing people used to work with called 'paper'. Six sheets of regular and one sheet of tracing paper to be exact, plus a fair bit of glue:
http://s563.photobucket.com/user/MelanaShadow/library/Boolean
Sadly the lighting is pretty terrible, the little guy summoned a storm just as I was trying to take pictures of him!
@Ghurab
Sliding in right at the last minute!

When your high-tech digital familiar starts glitching out, what can you do? Now you're stuck with that boring old thing people used to work with called 'paper'. Six sheets of regular and one sheet of tracing paper to be exact, plus a fair bit of glue:
http://s563.photobucket.com/user/MelanaShadow/library/Boolean
Sadly the lighting is pretty terrible, the little guy summoned a storm just as I was trying to take pictures of him!
Please make sure to spell my UN correctly if pinging ;)
Another last-minute entry....

Villanelle to the Stormcatcher

Born of Wind and Water's wrangling clime,
The crackling Storm awoke amid their ire:
Power equals work applied through time.

Child of strife, firstborn before the rime,
The tempest spat enraged electric fire
Born of Wind and Water's wrangling clime;

Chaos-born, to order is his climb;
By formula he calculates desire:

War to pillar, freedom's desert dry,
The lightning drawn from sky into a wire,
Born of Wind and Water's wrangling clime.

"Get back to work" the motto, paradigm,
From mouth to ear repeats to each new hire:

True and false and error, overtime;
The Storm now reigns atop the Tempest Spire
His power equals work applied through time.
Another last-minute entry....

Villanelle to the Stormcatcher

The crackling Storm awoke amid their ire:

Child of strife, firstborn before the rime,
The tempest spat enraged electric fire
Born of Wind and Water's wrangling clime;

Chaos-born, to order is his climb;
By formula he calculates desire:

War to pillar, freedom's desert dry,
The lightning drawn from sky into a wire,
Born of Wind and Water's wrangling clime.

"Get back to work" the motto, paradigm,
From mouth to ear repeats to each new hire:

True and false and error, overtime;
The Storm now reigns atop the Tempest Spire
His power equals work applied through time.
cRmXRTj.pnggEwjJcC.pngmYGe85O.png
@Ghurab

The Boolean is a Lie: A Game for Four Friends

Win Condition:
Acquire a Boolean.

Number of Participants:
As the title specifies, this game should be played between four friends. This may or may not have anything to do with the fact that four is the number of death, or the fact that it is so much more satisfying for this humble game creator to destroy pre-existing.

How to Play:
TBiaL is a bidding game. You play by placing bids for a Boolean in whatever currency you see fit. The friend who screams and whines the loudest about it will win the right to be the GM Auctioneer, and will be in charge of keeping track of and organizing the bids for the rest of their life.

Suggested Equipment:
Technically, you need nothing but full possession of your mental faculties and at least one kidney to participate in a game of TBiaL. Nonetheless, this game creator strongly suggests that you prepare at least a basic complement of medieval weaponry, surgical implements, credit cards, deeds to whatever property you may own, and an attorney who is qualified to draw up contracts pertaining to both fiscal and spiritual matters, and who ideally has a very relaxed sense of integrity.

This game creator also suggests that you line the room with plastic sheets, to facilitate cleaning up and/or asphyxiation, depending on game developments.

Endgame:
The game ends when all bids have been paid to the Auctioneer in full, however many years or decades it takes. The player with the highest bid wins a Boolean*! If they are deceased, as very may well be the case, the Boolean passes on to their next-of-kin, and if those are all deceased as well, the Boolean will be donated to the GM's charity or national museum of choice.

*This means that the GM Auctioneer will turn to you and say "Congratulations, you won a Boolean!" Doesn't it feel good to know that you finally won something in this game after all those years of indentured servitude and organ donations?

Creator's Note to Self: Submit this for consideration for the Thundercrack Festival activities next year.
@Ghurab

The Boolean is a Lie: A Game for Four Friends

Win Condition:
Acquire a Boolean.

Number of Participants:
As the title specifies, this game should be played between four friends. This may or may not have anything to do with the fact that four is the number of death, or the fact that it is so much more satisfying for this humble game creator to destroy pre-existing.

How to Play:
TBiaL is a bidding game. You play by placing bids for a Boolean in whatever currency you see fit. The friend who screams and whines the loudest about it will win the right to be the GM Auctioneer, and will be in charge of keeping track of and organizing the bids for the rest of their life.

Suggested Equipment:
Technically, you need nothing but full possession of your mental faculties and at least one kidney to participate in a game of TBiaL. Nonetheless, this game creator strongly suggests that you prepare at least a basic complement of medieval weaponry, surgical implements, credit cards, deeds to whatever property you may own, and an attorney who is qualified to draw up contracts pertaining to both fiscal and spiritual matters, and who ideally has a very relaxed sense of integrity.

This game creator also suggests that you line the room with plastic sheets, to facilitate cleaning up and/or asphyxiation, depending on game developments.

Endgame:
The game ends when all bids have been paid to the Auctioneer in full, however many years or decades it takes. The player with the highest bid wins a Boolean*! If they are deceased, as very may well be the case, the Boolean passes on to their next-of-kin, and if those are all deceased as well, the Boolean will be donated to the GM's charity or national museum of choice.

*This means that the GM Auctioneer will turn to you and say "Congratulations, you won a Boolean!" Doesn't it feel good to know that you finally won something in this game after all those years of indentured servitude and organ donations?

Creator's Note to Self: Submit this for consideration for the Thundercrack Festival activities next year.
I'm looking for a female Yellow/Amber/Grapefruit Nocturne with Light eyes and Circuit. First two genes don't matter because I'm going to remove them.

If you have a dragon like this, or dragons that could breed this, please let me know!
1 2 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31