Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | ancients vs moderns GO
Ancients! I'm not super into apparel for dragons and moderns don't get all of the cool tertiaries.
Ancients! I'm not super into apparel for dragons and moderns don't get all of the cool tertiaries.
Hai.png

Adopt Shop!
Moderns
Pros: Can cross-breed; can breed change without having to re-gene; can use apparel.
Cons: Genes are EXPENSIVE.

Ancients
Pros: Cheaper genes! Some great new genes, esp. terts, but they keep throwing those out to moderns pretty quickly... the line-art breakers won't, though. All breeds are common (quick cool-down on breeding).
Cons: Can't cross-breed; can't breed change without having to re-gene; can't use apparel.

I love a lot of the Ancient breeds, and their genes especially Greenskeeper oh my WORD, but once I've got the dragon... that's it. I can't do anything else with it besides accents. I love dressing up dragons, and regularly change mine to suit a new accent or just to have themed fun during festivals. So I come down on the side of moderns, but I still love Ancients and have lots of them.
Moderns
Pros: Can cross-breed; can breed change without having to re-gene; can use apparel.
Cons: Genes are EXPENSIVE.

Ancients
Pros: Cheaper genes! Some great new genes, esp. terts, but they keep throwing those out to moderns pretty quickly... the line-art breakers won't, though. All breeds are common (quick cool-down on breeding).
Cons: Can't cross-breed; can't breed change without having to re-gene; can't use apparel.

I love a lot of the Ancient breeds, and their genes especially Greenskeeper oh my WORD, but once I've got the dragon... that's it. I can't do anything else with it besides accents. I love dressing up dragons, and regularly change mine to suit a new accent or just to have themed fun during festivals. So I come down on the side of moderns, but I still love Ancients and have lots of them.
~Dreaming Skies Hatchery~ Lots of new hatchies/dragons for sale!
@Halszkaraptor What's the iri/shimmer situation? [emoji=guardian confused size=1]
@Halszkaraptor What's the iri/shimmer situation?
Moderns because I’m a horrid maximalist when it comes to designing things and if I don’t load my dragons up using every apparel slot available I will disintegrate
Moderns because I’m a horrid maximalist when it comes to designing things and if I don’t load my dragons up using every apparel slot available I will disintegrate
Hi, you can call me Ray!
Slowly warming up to the Internet, still not very talkative though
My fandragons are cool and swag :>
hh5n4WA.png
hdWqAOO.png
J7D1quC.png
gYW0j5f.png
eRwbrSc.png
O1BLMLJ.png
pkY2oAO.png
O58IfTZ.png
iDdef0R.png
ExfcDGa.png
Moderns for me by a lot. I'm not even a maximalist, I just prefer the older designs and lore, and I'm very prone to Old Thing Good, New Thing Weird type of thinking when it comes to content
Moderns for me by a lot. I'm not even a maximalist, I just prefer the older designs and lore, and I'm very prone to Old Thing Good, New Thing Weird type of thinking when it comes to content
There will be something here. Eventually.
@Fledhyris

There’s a couple things. Iri/shim are an old gene set whose gradients are done by hand. For each color. We have 177 colors currently. Because they were done by hand there’s some discrepancies between how it was done for the original set of colors and then the later colors that were added when the color wheel was expanded. Leading to some colors having soft gradients and softer highlights; and others with more saturated colors and harsher highlights. There was a discussion at the time about making them uniform but the userbase was pretty evenly split on which version they preferred so staff opted to leave them be and fix the colors that had black lineart and blown out highlights.

Because these genes are done by hand for each color, it’s unlikely we’ll be seeing it on any of the breeds that haven’t been in development for some time like the last two moderns have… and if we do see it it will probably look like the version that obbies and fathoms have.
@Fledhyris

There’s a couple things. Iri/shim are an old gene set whose gradients are done by hand. For each color. We have 177 colors currently. Because they were done by hand there’s some discrepancies between how it was done for the original set of colors and then the later colors that were added when the color wheel was expanded. Leading to some colors having soft gradients and softer highlights; and others with more saturated colors and harsher highlights. There was a discussion at the time about making them uniform but the userbase was pretty evenly split on which version they preferred so staff opted to leave them be and fix the colors that had black lineart and blown out highlights.

Because these genes are done by hand for each color, it’s unlikely we’ll be seeing it on any of the breeds that haven’t been in development for some time like the last two moderns have… and if we do see it it will probably look like the version that obbies and fathoms have.

Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
actuallyadinosaur a tiny doodle of a small goose like dinosaur with yellow beak white feathers and red eyes
I like fun terts and cheaper genes :>
I like fun terts and cheaper genes :>
6mVFIuV.png
QetF0Qf.png
4xqaZpf.png
bYt72YT.png
BzjAkuF.png
5hF3FGk.png
rihYiKd.png
YMPbu9R.png
yQxZUtx.png
Modern. Where else would I get my floating eye from?
Modern. Where else would I get my floating eye from?
uCR5SCW.png
@Halszkaraptor ohhh okay, interesting! Thanks for the explanation. I must go and check them out on different dragons!

ETA Well I checked out maize first and good grief, it doesn't look as though they've even fixed the black lines on fae! Guardians look pretty off, too. Is that still a wip?
@Halszkaraptor ohhh okay, interesting! Thanks for the explanation. I must go and check them out on different dragons!

ETA Well I checked out maize first and good grief, it doesn't look as though they've even fixed the black lines on fae! Guardians look pretty off, too. Is that still a wip?
@Fledhyris

As far as I'm aware it hasn't been worked on yet, no. It's the first thing listed on the Modern Gene errors backlog thread over in bug reports.
@Fledhyris

As far as I'm aware it hasn't been worked on yet, no. It's the first thing listed on the Modern Gene errors backlog thread over in bug reports.

Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
actuallyadinosaur a tiny doodle of a small goose like dinosaur with yellow beak white feathers and red eyes