Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Should all codes be FTU?
Go to previous page
Currently on page 1 Go to page 2
Go to next page
Should all codes be FTU?
If someone made a code and chooses to not let others use it, is that ok? On the same page is it ok for someone to use a code that someone else made with the thought that all are ftu?

My take on it, someone's made it, they have full control for it too be ftu or not. If they are also the first person to make it they also have control over the idea of it as well, kinda like how inventions work, you just have to prove that is yours. Thoughts?
Should all codes be FTU?
If someone made a code and chooses to not let others use it, is that ok? On the same page is it ok for someone to use a code that someone else made with the thought that all are ftu?

My take on it, someone's made it, they have full control for it too be ftu or not. If they are also the first person to make it they also have control over the idea of it as well, kinda like how inventions work, you just have to prove that is yours. Thoughts?
9lxa0Qv.png
Hatchery

Art Shop

Skin Shop
plague.gif
pFh2ZjF.png
I think if you put time into it and don't want it to be f2u, then yeah. Codes are fine as a paid service. Coding is hard sometimes, so I have no qualms with paying for one ^^

I don't think I'd pay for a code the same amount I'd pay for say, a base or something though. But that's just me
I think if you put time into it and don't want it to be f2u, then yeah. Codes are fine as a paid service. Coding is hard sometimes, so I have no qualms with paying for one ^^

I don't think I'd pay for a code the same amount I'd pay for say, a base or something though. But that's just me
oooooooooo YLVUOKI.pngo K H U Z D U L
- - - - - - - - - - -
SHE/HER +0
ADULT LIBRA
oo Avatar dragon
Lore
About me
Pings ok!
• Did you hatch an
Abyss/Copper/X gen1,
but don't want them?
Don't exalt them! Hit me up ;)
What's the definition of code? BBCode formatting?

The tags are fairly simple and accessible to everyone, so I suppose it depends on the complexity and uniqueness of the work as to whether or not it would be rude to duplicate the formatting someone has made. (and if it's easily possible to replicate without any knowledge or reference, then it is not unique enough to be trying to bar others from using.)
What's the definition of code? BBCode formatting?

The tags are fairly simple and accessible to everyone, so I suppose it depends on the complexity and uniqueness of the work as to whether or not it would be rude to duplicate the formatting someone has made. (and if it's easily possible to replicate without any knowledge or reference, then it is not unique enough to be trying to bar others from using.)
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
yeah id also like clarification, if it's bbcode than that's just arranging tags in a specific way, in that case i don't see what the point of making it payed is? like ppl can easily recreate something similar even unintentionally

and i don't really agree with "they have control over the idea" bc.... no one really owns an idea ^^" even if someone makes an invention like you say, there's probably multiple people who have thought of it before, and others are gonna get inspired by it even subconsciously

at the end of the day idrc, if you don't want someone to use ur code that's fine, just keep in mind there are others who will probably do it even without seeing urs seen as there's only so many ways u can arrange bbcode *shrug*
yeah id also like clarification, if it's bbcode than that's just arranging tags in a specific way, in that case i don't see what the point of making it payed is? like ppl can easily recreate something similar even unintentionally

and i don't really agree with "they have control over the idea" bc.... no one really owns an idea ^^" even if someone makes an invention like you say, there's probably multiple people who have thought of it before, and others are gonna get inspired by it even subconsciously

at the end of the day idrc, if you don't want someone to use ur code that's fine, just keep in mind there are others who will probably do it even without seeing urs seen as there's only so many ways u can arrange bbcode *shrug*
she doesnt even know
basic math--->
XSQWCA5.gif 3CzZFT6.png
- she/her
- please ping
in reply+quote
klfGHc7.png67-E654-DE-BBB7-441-C-BAE1-F4-EDB05-BC922.png
You don't have to share your layouts if you don't want to but you can't really own a certain configuration of BBCode or stop others from coming up with the same thing on their own. There are only so many things you can do with the available code and the space provided.
Any graphics you've made are yours and you have full control of those of course :D
You don't have to share your layouts if you don't want to but you can't really own a certain configuration of BBCode or stop others from coming up with the same thing on their own. There are only so many things you can do with the available code and the space provided.
Any graphics you've made are yours and you have full control of those of course :D
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
I was under the assumption that it's pretty rude to copy paste some one else's bbcode formatting for your own use, if it wasn't specified that it wasn't free for anyone to use, and especially without credit. It's not really a crime I don't think.... but it is pretty rude and folks might not take kindly to finding out you borrowed something like that for your shop offering services in exchange for payment. (I remember seeing a spat about this exact situation.)

But it's one of those things where you gotta get a little specific. Are the graphics the same? Those you probably can't use without permission, that's theft. Just the layout? Well there's only so many ways to format text and arrange it- it's a little like pants, there's only so many ways to cut and sew the cloth. But if your thing can get misidentified as their thing... things can get confusing....

I guess it depends on intent. Are you borrowing the code for something personal like a dragon's bio? Or are you borrowing the code to sell something?
I was under the assumption that it's pretty rude to copy paste some one else's bbcode formatting for your own use, if it wasn't specified that it wasn't free for anyone to use, and especially without credit. It's not really a crime I don't think.... but it is pretty rude and folks might not take kindly to finding out you borrowed something like that for your shop offering services in exchange for payment. (I remember seeing a spat about this exact situation.)

But it's one of those things where you gotta get a little specific. Are the graphics the same? Those you probably can't use without permission, that's theft. Just the layout? Well there's only so many ways to format text and arrange it- it's a little like pants, there's only so many ways to cut and sew the cloth. But if your thing can get misidentified as their thing... things can get confusing....

I guess it depends on intent. Are you borrowing the code for something personal like a dragon's bio? Or are you borrowing the code to sell something?

Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
actuallyadinosaur a tiny doodle of a small goose like dinosaur with yellow beak white feathers and red eyes
If it's not specified as F2U I generally consider it rude to rip the code anyway. BBCode may be limiting but it does still take time and energy to create nice looking BBCode profile layouts.
If it's not specified as F2U I generally consider it rude to rip the code anyway. BBCode may be limiting but it does still take time and energy to create nice looking BBCode profile layouts.
ethanol_by_dislike_like-dbg3xow.png
[quote name="astrojelly" date="2024-05-23 04:55:23" ] and i don't really agree with "they have control over the idea" bc.... no one really owns an idea ^^" even if someone makes an invention like you say, there's probably multiple people who have thought of it before, and others are gonna get inspired by it even subconsciously at the end of the day idrc, if you don't want someone to use ur code that's fine, just keep in mind there are others who will probably do it even without seeing urs seen as there's only so many ways u can arrange bbcode *shrug* [/quote]
astrojelly wrote on 2024-05-23 04:55:23:

wqnTQE2.png Adult Player | She/they | 3+ FR Time | Wishlist
  • i'm actually the prettiest yiny princess
If we're talking about BBcode here, the tags are pretty straightforward, and its simplicity is limiting to the point where there's only so much you can do with it. I can look at a lot of basic dragon bio templates and eyeball them well enough to "mimic" a template's layout without ever opening the template's code myself.

That said, the sheer number of templates floating around this site shows that coding absolutely is a skill in itself. If anyone could make a pretty dragon bio without any prior knowledge of BBcode, then we wouldn't have templates. The complex ones take a LOT of work to put together, both in terms of layout design and actual coding. I say if someone feels confident enough in their code, sure, why not charge for it? Templates help streamline the process of making dragon bios for those who don't want to bother with columns and font sizes. Those who want to buy templates cna do so, and those who don't want to simply won't.

Bear in mind that it's also... pretty dang easy to rip code if someone posts it to a forum. That handy dandy little quote button does it for us. I'd say it's fair to treat it like a visual art: you could trace over that artist's Wildclaw art to make a personal piece of your own dragon. If you keep it to yourself, they're none the wiser. However, don't be shocked if the artist finds your traced piece and is upset that you directly ripped off their skills and efforts.
If we're talking about BBcode here, the tags are pretty straightforward, and its simplicity is limiting to the point where there's only so much you can do with it. I can look at a lot of basic dragon bio templates and eyeball them well enough to "mimic" a template's layout without ever opening the template's code myself.

That said, the sheer number of templates floating around this site shows that coding absolutely is a skill in itself. If anyone could make a pretty dragon bio without any prior knowledge of BBcode, then we wouldn't have templates. The complex ones take a LOT of work to put together, both in terms of layout design and actual coding. I say if someone feels confident enough in their code, sure, why not charge for it? Templates help streamline the process of making dragon bios for those who don't want to bother with columns and font sizes. Those who want to buy templates cna do so, and those who don't want to simply won't.

Bear in mind that it's also... pretty dang easy to rip code if someone posts it to a forum. That handy dandy little quote button does it for us. I'd say it's fair to treat it like a visual art: you could trace over that artist's Wildclaw art to make a personal piece of your own dragon. If you keep it to yourself, they're none the wiser. However, don't be shocked if the artist finds your traced piece and is upset that you directly ripped off their skills and efforts.
ytkEBod.png
5iXiC8z.png
tyEuRXe.png
9PstSFT.png
Wn6vGC1.png
IrmwTXC.png
JuaytuP.png
mlHpBMC.png
nmHdjnM.png
loimysO.png
..…….
look-at-my-fursona-her-name-is-Marsh.png
wind.gif you-WILL-look-at-my-fursona.png
[quote name="gardening" date="2024-05-23 05:04:56" ] coding takes a lot of time and energy, i know i would feel disrespected if someone stole my code if i didn't advertise it as f2u. [/quote] I think what OP means is that there’s the chance they could recreate it themselves for free, possibly even by accident, and that wouldn’t be theft because you technically don’t own the rights to formatting BBCode a certain way.
gardening wrote on 2024-05-23 05:04:56:
coding takes a lot of time and energy, i know i would feel disrespected if someone stole my code if i didn't advertise it as f2u.
I think what OP means is that there’s the chance they could recreate it themselves for free, possibly even by accident, and that wouldn’t be theft because you technically don’t own the rights to formatting BBCode a certain way.
RSUsSvx.png
Go to previous page
Currently on page 1 Go to page 2
Go to next page