Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | the hatchling skin rules
1 2 3 4 5 6
[quote name="DayOwl" date="2024-05-17 01:49:34" ] It’s VERY frustrating because staff is inherently saying scarring is “inappropriate” for children under 18. What message does that send? That people with visible scarring are inherently not suitable for your audience? Fresh wounds? Sure, restrict those. Why not. They’re restricted anyway, but my oh my was it frustrating to me when I had to read that scars are apparently considered not appropriate to flight rising for children, implying they don’t think adolescents should be aware of scars. Hm. [/quote] I was joining the thread to comment on this exact thing...many kids have scars young. Kids play and get hurt. Kids get accidents. Kids get surgeries. I would have understood banning gore/bloody wounds, but banning scars is ridiculous. Gore is already against the rules for adult skins in the first place???
DayOwl wrote on 2024-05-17 01:49:34:
It’s VERY frustrating because staff is inherently saying scarring is “inappropriate” for children under 18. What message does that send? That people with visible scarring are inherently not suitable for your audience? Fresh wounds? Sure, restrict those. Why not. They’re restricted anyway, but my oh my was it frustrating to me when I had to read that scars are apparently considered not appropriate to flight rising for children, implying they don’t think adolescents should be aware of scars. Hm.

I was joining the thread to comment on this exact thing...many kids have scars young. Kids play and get hurt. Kids get accidents. Kids get surgeries. I would have understood banning gore/bloody wounds, but banning scars is ridiculous. Gore is already against the rules for adult skins in the first place???
cVMOzbH.png__ my skin shop
outfit gallery
wishlist
lair quest!
Need a water nest?
Send me a CR, no payment required!
zbfZPyc.png
edit: the post i was responding to got deleted

i would just really recommend that people do some quick research about the lolita fashion movement before making sweeping assumptions

i would just really recommend that people do some quick research about the lolita fashion movement before making sweeping assumptions
g7boK5H.pngZ56llRE.pngnmpR0ff.png
[quote name="wonderwild" date="2024-05-17 03:25:30" ] [quote name="Kuroikumo" date="2024-05-17 02:16:01" ] [quote name="Monako" date="2024-05-17 01:56:47" ] Yeah of course, eh. I duno this entire thing with the rules all feels kinda icky. It's especially uncomfortable considering Lolita Fashion is a big part of Japan, and a bit misguided on the staffs side to relate the two. I genuinely don't understand how they came to the conclusion they arrived at. [/quote] this is really where i'm at....there is nothing sexual about lolita fashion, full stop. it's an entire subculture and it feels extremely misinformed to ban it, i would assume just based on the name. i'm more neutral on the scars thing. i think it's silly but ultimately i can at least understand what theyre getting at. but no lolita fashion? nah [/quote] as a member of the japanese community, i would seriously appreciate if people stopped equating lolita fashion with the book. the book has NOTHING to do with the fashion movement, and sharing a name shouldn't be enough to ban an entire subculture, especially since the lolita fashion movement was started [i]against [/i]the very thing portrayed in the book. i have to wonder if staff took any time to educate themselves before making broad statements about a country's culture like that. not being able to put kids in frilly dresses seems pretty ridiculous, since kids do/did very much dress like that? there's nothing inherently wrong with cute fashion on kids. if someone is drawing weird connotations from that,[i] they're[/i] the weirdo and we shouldn't normalise that by accommodating the rules to such types of people. i don't understand the scar ban either, because you can already create pretty monstrous, "suffering" hatchlings anyway with existing genes. plague primal looks like an open, festering infection. so will plague primal be forbidden on permababies now? will the ghost tert be banned on hatchlings because if zombies are forbidden on the basis of implying death, aren't ghosts and skeletons the same? i get wanting to avoid certain disturbing themes and elements from a site used by minors, but i also think the rules can get pretty nonsensical. if the hunchback of notre dame could be marketed as a movie for kids, i don't see how a hatchling having a perfectly healed scar or poofy dress would be seen as disturbing or controversial. i know they're going to lock this thread, but i hope they give some serious thought to the kinds of views they're perpetuating with these bans. [/quote] about bans, it made me maybe even more disappointed than rules itself. as it's presented now like something you should just take and shut up. like, we aren't allowed to even discuss it publicly :/
wonderwild wrote on 2024-05-17 03:25:30:
Kuroikumo wrote on 2024-05-17 02:16:01:
Monako wrote on 2024-05-17 01:56:47:
Yeah of course, eh. I duno this entire thing with the rules all feels kinda icky.
It's especially uncomfortable considering Lolita Fashion is a big part of Japan, and a bit misguided on the staffs side to relate the two. I genuinely don't understand how they came to the conclusion they arrived at.

this is really where i'm at....there is nothing sexual about lolita fashion, full stop. it's an entire subculture and it feels extremely misinformed to ban it, i would assume just based on the name.

i'm more neutral on the scars thing. i think it's silly but ultimately i can at least understand what theyre getting at. but no lolita fashion? nah

as a member of the japanese community, i would seriously appreciate if people stopped equating lolita fashion with the book. the book has NOTHING to do with the fashion movement, and sharing a name shouldn't be enough to ban an entire subculture, especially since the lolita fashion movement was started against the very thing portrayed in the book. i have to wonder if staff took any time to educate themselves before making broad statements about a country's culture like that.

not being able to put kids in frilly dresses seems pretty ridiculous, since kids do/did very much dress like that? there's nothing inherently wrong with cute fashion on kids. if someone is drawing weird connotations from that, they're the weirdo and we shouldn't normalise that by accommodating the rules to such types of people.

i don't understand the scar ban either, because you can already create pretty monstrous, "suffering" hatchlings anyway with existing genes. plague primal looks like an open, festering infection. so will plague primal be forbidden on permababies now? will the ghost tert be banned on hatchlings because if zombies are forbidden on the basis of implying death, aren't ghosts and skeletons the same?

i get wanting to avoid certain disturbing themes and elements from a site used by minors, but i also think the rules can get pretty nonsensical. if the hunchback of notre dame could be marketed as a movie for kids, i don't see how a hatchling having a perfectly healed scar or poofy dress would be seen as disturbing or controversial.

i know they're going to lock this thread, but i hope they give some serious thought to the kinds of views they're perpetuating with these bans.

about bans, it made me maybe even more disappointed than rules itself. as it's presented now like something you should just take and shut up. like, we aren't allowed to even discuss it publicly :/
5hF3FGk.png
FObX7rS.png
SYYY2E5.png
DxCICZ1.png
WANTED:
accent lava born
9170.png
[quote name="Kuroikumo" date="2024-05-17 03:33:39" ] edit: the post i was responding to got deleted i would just really recommend that people do some quick research about the lolita fashion movement before making sweeping assumptions [/quote] sure, and like, even from first sight it doesn't looks like something [i]adult[/i] for me??? like isn't it literally the opposite???
Kuroikumo wrote on 2024-05-17 03:33:39:

sure, and like, even from first sight it doesn't looks like something adult for me??? like isn't it literally the opposite???
5hF3FGk.png
FObX7rS.png
SYYY2E5.png
DxCICZ1.png
WANTED:
accent lava born
9170.png
i'm pretty sure this rule is just the staff getting mixed up with a very similar term which DOES refer to adultifying and exploiting children. trying to avoid the "1000 year old dragon goddess" stuff and all... but yeeeeeahhh, definitely clarify on that one.

as for scars, they definitely should be allowed if it's obviously a scuff or something that wasn't like, a stab wound, but definitely not big and brutal ones like having their tails cut off or something. they should give examples like "ok: healed scars on cheeks, knees, elbows, wings, tail. not ok: open wounds or large gouges that look like they could have been fatal".

i don't get the zombie thing at all though? like, luminax exists and is very child-coded????
i'm pretty sure this rule is just the staff getting mixed up with a very similar term which DOES refer to adultifying and exploiting children. trying to avoid the "1000 year old dragon goddess" stuff and all... but yeeeeeahhh, definitely clarify on that one.

as for scars, they definitely should be allowed if it's obviously a scuff or something that wasn't like, a stab wound, but definitely not big and brutal ones like having their tails cut off or something. they should give examples like "ok: healed scars on cheeks, knees, elbows, wings, tail. not ok: open wounds or large gouges that look like they could have been fatal".

i don't get the zombie thing at all though? like, luminax exists and is very child-coded????
eNC9ZRF.jpeg
Yeah, equating lolita fashion (that iirc was specifically created to counter the notion that women have to be mature and sexually available to men to be unappealing to them) with the titillating sort of "'adult' but not really" seriously rubs me the wrong way.

It's frilly clothes. Something actual real life children wear. Just because it happens to share the name (which you can ban from being used in skin names) with a book doesn't mean it's the same thing.
Yeah, equating lolita fashion (that iirc was specifically created to counter the notion that women have to be mature and sexually available to men to be unappealing to them) with the titillating sort of "'adult' but not really" seriously rubs me the wrong way.

It's frilly clothes. Something actual real life children wear. Just because it happens to share the name (which you can ban from being used in skin names) with a book doesn't mean it's the same thing.
..............QPMqEIe.png DtSukjn.png
ED7Ocw5.png
Wwl9tUS.png
btj5Ikk.png
I don't really get the rule against healed scars - like, I know someone who has a scar of her forehead from smashing into a doorknob as a toddler. That's not really ... violent. And my sister has a scar on her lip from tripping on the playground when she was younger. I get open wounds being banned but not really about closed scars. A lot of kids have scars just from stupid as toddlers. Id on't see the harm.
I don't really get the rule against healed scars - like, I know someone who has a scar of her forehead from smashing into a doorknob as a toddler. That's not really ... violent. And my sister has a scar on her lip from tripping on the playground when she was younger. I get open wounds being banned but not really about closed scars. A lot of kids have scars just from stupid as toddlers. Id on't see the harm.
call me sage
(>.
Sliding in before this thread gets locked

In my opinion, when a seeminly nonsense rule is in place, it's usually due to personal experience. I agree that lolita fashion is not problematic itself, but if throughout the years the staff received a lot of sexy adult skins with the theme and/or name Lolita in it, I would understand the reluctance to allow this trend to be repeated in hatchling skins.

And besides, while I have no doubt that a majority of players just want to make the hatchlings have cute frilly dresses, I know there will be a tiny percentage that will re-submit the same skin a thousand times with the skirt an inch longer each time just to "know the limit". And I wouldn't want to be the person that judges the exact moment or lenght that the dress on the hatching """is aproppiate now""".
Sliding in before this thread gets locked

In my opinion, when a seeminly nonsense rule is in place, it's usually due to personal experience. I agree that lolita fashion is not problematic itself, but if throughout the years the staff received a lot of sexy adult skins with the theme and/or name Lolita in it, I would understand the reluctance to allow this trend to be repeated in hatchling skins.

And besides, while I have no doubt that a majority of players just want to make the hatchlings have cute frilly dresses, I know there will be a tiny percentage that will re-submit the same skin a thousand times with the skirt an inch longer each time just to "know the limit". And I wouldn't want to be the person that judges the exact moment or lenght that the dress on the hatching """is aproppiate now""".
pCxMRnd.gif 9INKMbn.png Plentiful-Meat.png VEvBB7l.pngKp99Tes.png
As someone who wanted to make a permababy based myself (for fun) I am bummed they banned scars. I have a scar on my upper chest from heart surgery and getting a pacemaker. What this ban is basically telling me is that I should be ashamed for it. I was 10 when it happened so I was a child
As someone who wanted to make a permababy based myself (for fun) I am bummed they banned scars. I have a scar on my upper chest from heart surgery and getting a pacemaker. What this ban is basically telling me is that I should be ashamed for it. I was 10 when it happened so I was a child
BJmjb0y.pngT45QsK.png T4G0l9.png
[quote name="Morcegueres" date="2024-05-17 04:47:26" ] , I know there will be a tiny percentage that will re-submit the same skin a thousand times with the skirt an inch longer each time just to "know the limit". [/quote] This is hilarious and also upsetting when you consider the staff time wasted, among other things. Shame on anyone who considers/does this.
Morcegueres wrote on 2024-05-17 04:47:26:
, I know there will be a tiny percentage that will re-submit the same skin a thousand times with the skirt an inch longer each time just to "know the limit".

This is hilarious and also upsetting when you consider the staff time wasted, among other things. Shame on anyone who considers/does this.
1 2 3 4 5 6