Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Snake recolours?
I was wondering as i bonded with fiona's familiars today (she had a gem recolour and the aries recolour) If we're gonna get snake recolours in the joxbox. To be honest i don't know why we got the jeweller recolours as they don't really have a theme like the others (being actual zodiacs, sprites being flipped elements or beastclan members.)

I just find the snakes are pretty popular so i wouldn't mind joxbox recolours, but it could also get a bit drawn out for some. I don't think we'd see them immediately. But would you like to see more snakes after we get the last one for greenskeeper?
I was wondering as i bonded with fiona's familiars today (she had a gem recolour and the aries recolour) If we're gonna get snake recolours in the joxbox. To be honest i don't know why we got the jeweller recolours as they don't really have a theme like the others (being actual zodiacs, sprites being flipped elements or beastclan members.)

I just find the snakes are pretty popular so i wouldn't mind joxbox recolours, but it could also get a bit drawn out for some. I don't think we'd see them immediately. But would you like to see more snakes after we get the last one for greenskeeper?
xulc4O8.png
Yes please. More snakes. I love them. I'll be so sad when the festival ones are gone.
Yes please. More snakes. I love them. I'll be so sad when the festival ones are gone.
I collect: 52030.png52031.png
I will be sad when there are no more sneks
I will be sad when there are no more sneks
I don't want them personally. The snakes and flowers are based off of real world snakes and flowers, and some of those real world snakes and flowers are pretty limited in what colors they can come in. Of course, being a fantasy game, they don't have to adhere to real-world standards, but it would be weird given how consistent the snakes and flowers are otherwise.
I don't want them personally. The snakes and flowers are based off of real world snakes and flowers, and some of those real world snakes and flowers are pretty limited in what colors they can come in. Of course, being a fantasy game, they don't have to adhere to real-world standards, but it would be weird given how consistent the snakes and flowers are otherwise.
mapleshaiku_siggy.png
I'm not super interested by recolors in general, so I guess I wouldn't really mind but wouldn't really want them either? I like the snakes a lot, but I'd rather have the art be altered a little to show different species (both for the snakes and the flowers) than to get a simple palette swap.
I'm not super interested by recolors in general, so I guess I wouldn't really mind but wouldn't really want them either? I like the snakes a lot, but I'd rather have the art be altered a little to show different species (both for the snakes and the flowers) than to get a simple palette swap.
tumblr_inline_pawby3qPs91rbjkvp_540.png
[quote name="MaplesHaiku" date="2024-04-25 06:20:18" ] I don't want them personally. The snakes and flowers are based off of real world snakes and flowers, and some of those real world snakes and flowers are pretty limited in what colors they can come in. Of course, being a fantasy game, they don't have to adhere to real-world standards, but it would be weird given how consistent the snakes and flowers are otherwise. [/quote] Sure sure, but here's an idea to float your boat: instead of real world snakes and flowers, they make up special Flight based colorations to make them actual elemental snakes. It doesn't work as well for some as others (Light, Arcane, and Ice are pretty spot on) but it is a themed direction they could easily take the snakes that makes sense beyond just recoloring them into a different morph or really random colors (though they seem extremely partial to that).
MaplesHaiku wrote on 2024-04-25 06:20:18:

Sure sure, but here's an idea to float your boat: instead of real world snakes and flowers, they make up special Flight based colorations to make them actual elemental snakes. It doesn't work as well for some as others (Light, Arcane, and Ice are pretty spot on) but it is a themed direction they could easily take the snakes that makes sense beyond just recoloring them into a different morph or really random colors (though they seem extremely partial to that).
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
[quote name="MaplesHaiku" date="2024-04-25 06:20:18" ] I don't want them personally. The snakes and flowers are based off of real world snakes and flowers, and some of those real world snakes and flowers are pretty limited in what colors they can come in. Of course, being a fantasy game, they don't have to adhere to real-world standards, but it would be weird given how consistent the snakes and flowers are otherwise. [/quote] Fair point! Actually, I'm convinced that this should not be a problem with just a bit of research! There are in many cases very very similar plants and snakes that are closely related, or not as closely related but instead have convergently evolved similar looks. Not only that but, as numerous familiars have proven, slight lineart changes are possible! For example: [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/51892.png[/img] This is an African bush viper and a poppy BAM [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49573553163_dac01ec88b_b.jpg[/img] [img]https://tamarorganics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/OFCA-calendula-pot-marigold.jpg[/img] Bornean keeled pit viper and pot marigold. Just add a few petals and you're good. After all, these are simplified, it can work [img]https://www1.flightrising.com/static/cms/familiar/art/52776.png[/img] Marigold (Tagetes, not Calendula) and rhinoceros viper. Adjust the horns a little bit and you get the many-horned viper. Adjust the leaves a little bit and you get the peony [img]https://www.tyroneping.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Bitis_cornutaMany-Horned_Adder_Springbok_Tyrone_Ping_2019-4.jpg[/img] [img]https://assets.americanmeadows.com/media/catalog/product/p/e/peonies-pink-shutterstock-463922750-cropped_1_1.jpg[/img] We already have examples of FR items that don't really match the real thing. For example: [item=rhodochrosite] Rhodochrosite has a matching crystal habit [img]https://cdn.britannica.com/57/122557-004-FFA2ABBC/Rhodochrosite.jpg[/img] [item=apatite] [img]https://i0.wp.com/ucminerals.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/224077_1.jpg[/img] Apatite does not [item=amber] Amber isn't even a mineral but hardened resin, and it checks out [item=almandine] Almandine is a Garnet variety. The crystal habit does not match [img]https://www.mindat.org/imagecache/5e/ac/09462700017056492117358.jpg[/img]
MaplesHaiku wrote on 2024-04-25 06:20:18:

Fair point! Actually, I'm convinced that this should not be a problem with just a bit of research! There are in many cases very very similar plants and snakes that are closely related, or not as closely related but instead have convergently evolved similar looks.

Not only that but, as numerous familiars have proven, slight lineart changes are possible! For example:

51892.png

This is an African bush viper and a poppy

BAM

49573553163_dac01ec88b_b.jpg
OFCA-calendula-pot-marigold.jpg

Bornean keeled pit viper and pot marigold. Just add a few petals and you're good. After all, these are simplified, it can work

52776.png

Marigold (Tagetes, not Calendula) and rhinoceros viper. Adjust the horns a little bit and you get the many-horned viper. Adjust the leaves a little bit and you get the peony

Bitis_cornutaMany-Horned_Adder_Springbok_Tyrone_Ping_2019-4.jpg
peonies-pink-shutterstock-463922750-cropped_1_1.jpg

We already have examples of FR items that don't really match the real thing. For example:

Rhodochrosite

Rhodochrosite has a matching crystal habit

Rhodochrosite.jpg

Apatite

224077_1.jpg

Apatite does not

Amber

Amber isn't even a mineral but hardened resin, and it checks out

Almandine

Almandine is a Garnet variety. The crystal habit does not match

09462700017056492117358.jpg
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
They could release both a snake/strangler and a slink recolor as a pair. It’d be more work for the staff though. But very fun for users.
They could release both a snake/strangler and a slink recolor as a pair. It’d be more work for the staff though. But very fun for users.
I hope not. I mean, later down the line? Sure. But right now, I'm snaked out. I like snakes, I like all reptiles, but the amount of snake going on here lately is making me craving a change.
I hope not. I mean, later down the line? Sure. But right now, I'm snaked out. I like snakes, I like all reptiles, but the amount of snake going on here lately is making me craving a change.
1f7Wab5.png x F5AeglI.png x x
x
x
< - avatar
x

ahzidal (captain)
they / them
about