Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Light Sprite be EXPENSIVE
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
[quote name="Iokharic" date="2024-04-24 09:55:52" ] I cannot conceive of spending the equivalent of half of my monthly rent on a PNG of a little yellow fairy with bunny ears [/quote] That was pretty much my first thought. Also, that's a shame that's how much your rent is, sorry friend, mine is a little less than what the sprite's worth.
Iokharic wrote on 2024-04-24 09:55:52:
I cannot conceive of spending the equivalent of half of my monthly rent on a PNG of a little yellow fairy with bunny ears

That was pretty much my first thought.

Also, that's a shame that's how much your rent is, sorry friend, mine is a little less than what the sprite's worth.
this topic is just going to keep coming up because newer players will keep realizing that a super basic-to-think-of goal (getting,[b] as in being able to use[/b], all the familiars) is simply unattainable, and will want to complain about it. and i love hearing the complaints, since i've been feeling this way since 2016! just because nothing actionable is happening as a result doesn't mean it isn't releasing some steam ...it also doesn't escape my notice that the users here who 'don't see the point' in re-releasing or just don't want it to happen, already have it... like, i understand wanting your familiar to retain its ridiculous value, but as someone who's wanted it for years but can't justify the time/irl money sink, it's certainly not a argument that i see any reason in. the best arguments for re-releasing are, imo: [quote name="Dragonwyspr" date="2024-04-24 11:21:50" ] Oh yeah Light Sprites are more expensive than the average sales price of most of the KS items. It's insane [/quote] [quote name="Khuzdul" date="2024-04-24 11:00:44" ] [center]Ok.. But they've added older items to Jox box before? Granted the bears weren't horribly expensive (in fact I think they're more expensive now then they were when you could get them in NoTN, but don't quote me on that..), but they weren't added until later after joxar's. I highly doubt putting the sprites and older fest apparel will do anything to the economy. Like fatui said, luminous halo prices are still [i]absurd[/i] and they're in jox boxes. Anyways, I still stand on they should put the sprites and older apparel in jox's. If anything make it a small chance of getting it. [/quote] [quote name="RheoTastic" date="2024-04-24 10:43:20" ] imo yes they should re-release the sprites and its bc of the deliberate price-gougery going on, ik a lot of sites have economy like that but at the current time FR has been pretty clear that they dont like to encourage that, which is why they do things like massively increase the amount of new genes in the marketplace directly after a release; they dont want people scalping or price fixing. the dilemma is they specifically said they wouldnt re-release/something comparable with sprites. so in order to restore a bit of balance, theyd have to go back on their word, which is a Wildly unpopular thing to do in terms of PR. BUT that was also years ago before the gouging reached this extremely unfortunate level and I genuinely think they did not anticipate things would reach this level. imo its not really "breaking their word" bc the circumstances and pricepoint are so different between then and now. so like yes I am rooting for the staff to destroy the sprite economy. KS stuff can stay thats fine but the sprites should be released in swarms or at least in joxboxes!! and for the record I have a fully completed bestiary and idc about getting sprites for myself I just loathe this kind of inflation that has nowhere to go but up [/quote] [quote name="Gryphire" date="2024-04-24 05:54:50" ] [quote name="SnowingRoses" date="2024-04-23 19:57:55" ] @/Khuzdul They still have them pop up at Roundsey's every once in a while at least. [/quote] They, in fact, do not. They have before, but not for several months over a year now. And the price is at least 80kg higher then it should be (it’s increased that much in less than 2 yrs) because a singular individual price fixed them that way. No I don’t think having gatekeeper items that 98% of players don’t have a hope of getting because it has such a bad economy that one person can mess with it so extremely is adding flavor to the game. Let’s also point out that staff NEVER said those items were retiring until months after the fact. And in no official context only random FRD post. Also please give me a reason why all fest stuff isn’t in the all fest stuff box. I’ve never heard a good reason since they released them. [/quote] some users just want absurdly over-inflated items and it shows :p
this topic is just going to keep coming up because newer players will keep realizing that a super basic-to-think-of goal (getting, as in being able to use, all the familiars) is simply unattainable, and will want to complain about it.

and i love hearing the complaints, since i've been feeling this way since 2016! just because nothing actionable is happening as a result doesn't mean it isn't releasing some steam

...it also doesn't escape my notice that the users here who 'don't see the point' in re-releasing or just don't want it to happen, already have it... like, i understand wanting your familiar to retain its ridiculous value, but as someone who's wanted it for years but can't justify the time/irl money sink, it's certainly not a argument that i see any reason in.

the best arguments for re-releasing are, imo:
Dragonwyspr wrote on 2024-04-24 11:21:50:
Oh yeah Light Sprites are more expensive than the average sales price of most of the KS items. It's insane
Quote:
Ok.. But they've added older items to Jox box before? Granted the bears weren't horribly expensive (in fact I think they're more expensive now then they were when you could get them in NoTN, but don't quote me on that..), but they weren't added until later after joxar's.

I highly doubt putting the sprites and older fest apparel will do anything to the economy. Like fatui said, luminous halo prices are still absurd and they're in jox boxes.

Anyways, I still stand on they should put the sprites and older apparel in jox's. If anything make it a small chance of getting it.
RheoTastic wrote on 2024-04-24 10:43:20:
imo yes they should re-release the sprites and its bc of the deliberate price-gougery going on, ik a lot of sites have economy like that but at the current time FR has been pretty clear that they dont like to encourage that, which is why they do things like massively increase the amount of new genes in the marketplace directly after a release; they dont want people scalping or price fixing.

the dilemma is they specifically said they wouldnt re-release/something comparable with sprites. so in order to restore a bit of balance, theyd have to go back on their word, which is a Wildly unpopular thing to do in terms of PR. BUT that was also years ago before the gouging reached this extremely unfortunate level and I genuinely think they did not anticipate things would reach this level. imo its not really "breaking their word" bc the circumstances and pricepoint are so different between then and now.

so like yes I am rooting for the staff to destroy the sprite economy. KS stuff can stay thats fine but the sprites should be released in swarms or at least in joxboxes!! and for the record I have a fully completed bestiary and idc about getting sprites for myself I just loathe this kind of inflation that has nowhere to go but up
Gryphire wrote on 2024-04-24 05:54:50:
SnowingRoses wrote on 2024-04-23 19:57:55:
@/Khuzdul They still have them pop up at Roundsey's every once in a while at least.

They, in fact, do not. They have before, but not for several months over a year now. And the price is at least 80kg higher then it should be (it’s increased that much in less than 2 yrs) because a singular individual price fixed them that way. No I don’t think having gatekeeper items that 98% of players don’t have a hope of getting because it has such a bad economy that one person can mess with it so extremely is adding flavor to the game.

Let’s also point out that staff NEVER said those items were retiring until months after the fact. And in no official context only random FRD post.

Also please give me a reason why all fest stuff isn’t in the all fest stuff box. I’ve never heard a good reason since they released them.

some users just want absurdly over-inflated items and it shows :p
z3ouQq5.gif i don't subscribe to threads - please ping me if you want me to see!
vass | they/them | 23
Joxar has a million bajillion items, it would be extremely low odds to ever pull a Sprite and that's what makes it a good option on equivalent terms with Roundsey. The odds being so low really makes it a gamble too.

I just think an item shouldn't be so rare that one singular player can price gouge the entire website if they so want to.
Joxar has a million bajillion items, it would be extremely low odds to ever pull a Sprite and that's what makes it a good option on equivalent terms with Roundsey. The odds being so low really makes it a gamble too.

I just think an item shouldn't be so rare that one singular player can price gouge the entire website if they so want to.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
light sprites are how much now?? put them in the joxbox oh my goodness.
light sprites are how much now?? put them in the joxbox oh my goodness.
9121892.png xxxxx
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
At the end of the day, it's still just a PNG image not worth any real value. I think it's easy to forget that sometimes. *shrug*

And no, I don't have one.
At the end of the day, it's still just a PNG image not worth any real value. I think it's easy to forget that sometimes. *shrug*

And no, I don't have one.
[quote]this topic is just going to keep coming up because newer players will keep realizing that a super basic-to-think-of goal (getting, as in being able to use, all the familiars) is simply unattainable, and will want to complain about it.[/quote] even if the light sprite was added to joxbox, boolean still exists, and will most definitely never be on the table for being re-introduced (there's even a joke lookalike familiar referencing this fact). im still missing that thing and every ks fam, it's not a life-ruiner. it's a png at the end of the day. same thing goes for people who are obsessed with g1 imp scrolls and g1 imps. like. the game is not unplayable because of this scarcity element, and the g1 market wouldnt be as social status oriented as it is if it was (or, wouldn't exist at all). we'd all just be happy with our scries and breeding projects if so. for art, the sprites are serviced more than well enough by their recolors (honestly, the sparkle nymph is almost objectively better designed in every way anyway...) inevitably its staff's choice what they choose for their own economy, they've reversed big decisions like eye types before. but eye types was actively hindering the breeding/project mechanics that the site lives and dies by, and a vanishingly tiny amount of rare familiars out of the over thousand-something that are available are tertiary at best to the gameplay loop of the site, so i'd say it's a pretty low-priority issue for fr. [s]especially compared to like. adventure mode still not being out in current year[/s]
Quote:
this topic is just going to keep coming up because newer players will keep realizing that a super basic-to-think-of goal (getting, as in being able to use, all the familiars) is simply unattainable, and will want to complain about it.

even if the light sprite was added to joxbox, boolean still exists, and will most definitely never be on the table for being re-introduced (there's even a joke lookalike familiar referencing this fact). im still missing that thing and every ks fam, it's not a life-ruiner. it's a png at the end of the day.

same thing goes for people who are obsessed with g1 imp scrolls and g1 imps. like. the game is not unplayable because of this scarcity element, and the g1 market wouldnt be as social status oriented as it is if it was (or, wouldn't exist at all). we'd all just be happy with our scries and breeding projects if so. for art, the sprites are serviced more than well enough by their recolors (honestly, the sparkle nymph is almost objectively better designed in every way anyway...)

inevitably its staff's choice what they choose for their own economy, they've reversed big decisions like eye types before. but eye types was actively hindering the breeding/project mechanics that the site lives and dies by, and a vanishingly tiny amount of rare familiars out of the over thousand-something that are available are tertiary at best to the gameplay loop of the site, so i'd say it's a pretty low-priority issue for fr. especially compared to like. adventure mode still not being out in current year
rLM2h8D.png
[quote name="Recallback" date="2024-04-24 14:38:30" ] Joxar has a million bajillion items, it would be extremely low odds to ever pull a Sprite and that's what makes it a good option on equivalent terms with Roundsey. The odds being so low really makes it a gamble too. I just think an item shouldn't be so rare that one singular player can price gouge the entire website if they so want to. [/quote] Difference is I can get a box every month, and never win Roundsey (I'm almost at five years of entries without winning once). But, I agree sprite should be added. It's still going to be very rare.
Recallback wrote on 2024-04-24 14:38:30:

Difference is I can get a box every month, and never win Roundsey (I'm almost at five years of entries without winning once). But, I agree sprite should be added. It's still going to be very rare.
tundrasig_small.png
#1 Speckle Fan * Old Dragon Collector * FR+3
[quote name="@Spamton" date="2024-04-23 22:11:42" ] maybe its because ive played a lot of different online social/pet sims in my days but i think having a small handful of borderline-prohibitively expensive items in a game adds a bit of flavor mostly because i find it interesting to consider the social factors that go into making an item so expensive, between aesthetics, history, associated social status, and community culture so ye the light sprite is deathly expensive but its also intriguing to think about why exactly that is, instead of it being yet another png in an endless dressup game lineup [/quote] I'm actually glad I'm not the only person that feels this way. It is really odd that the Light Sprite in particular is this way, but it also makes it more interesting? I feel like that in itself adds value to the item. A lot of stuff on Neopets was the same way. A lot of newer games imo are missing the oddities and intrigue of older games. I dunno. I guess you could argue it's "unfair" but I don't really think so. I feel like everything being available all the time with effectively 0 value is actually so boring and so many new games are like this. edit: The only thing kind of annoying about the Light Sprite situation is that it was intentionally bought up and "price fixed" and falsely inflated to be such a high value, so people are I guess "forced" to buy it at that price (but again, not really? Just refuse to buy it until they sell it for a reasonable price.)
@Spamton wrote on 2024-04-23 22:11:42:
maybe its because ive played a lot of different online social/pet sims in my days but i think having a small handful of borderline-prohibitively expensive items in a game adds a bit of flavor

mostly because i find it interesting to consider the social factors that go into making an item so expensive, between aesthetics, history, associated social status, and community culture

so ye the light sprite is deathly expensive but its also intriguing to think about why exactly that is, instead of it being yet another png in an endless dressup game lineup

I'm actually glad I'm not the only person that feels this way. It is really odd that the Light Sprite in particular is this way, but it also makes it more interesting? I feel like that in itself adds value to the item. A lot of stuff on Neopets was the same way. A lot of newer games imo are missing the oddities and intrigue of older games. I dunno. I guess you could argue it's "unfair" but I don't really think so.

I feel like everything being available all the time with effectively 0 value is actually so boring and so many new games are like this.

edit: The only thing kind of annoying about the Light Sprite situation is that it was intentionally bought up and "price fixed" and falsely inflated to be such a high value, so people are I guess "forced" to buy it at that price (but again, not really? Just refuse to buy it until they sell it for a reasonable price.)

I'll make a nice signature eventually :(
Speaking of Neopets, the old/rare/unobtainable items are worth hundreds of millions of Neopoints, with some being billions. Unless you go for the black market and illegal way, Neopoints must be earned. Given that this is 100% a user driven economy, how did this happen?
Botting. Botting and multi accounting. The userbase alleges that these crazy inflated prices are largely because of cheaters basically, who cheat to get tons of Neopoints and then proceed to manipulate the market. On Neopets, the cheaters are so strong that you basically will never see the rare items come down in price because they will get to the 'cheap' stuff first.

So if the same allegations for market manipulation are being tossed around for the light sprite? This just brings to question how in the world this happened. I would certainly hope that it's not cheating but then that implies this person was either doing a lot of cross site trading, or they're really buying gems all the time. Even for cross site trading, it's extremely hard to come up with enough to buy all those light sprites.
Speaking of Neopets, the old/rare/unobtainable items are worth hundreds of millions of Neopoints, with some being billions. Unless you go for the black market and illegal way, Neopoints must be earned. Given that this is 100% a user driven economy, how did this happen?
Botting. Botting and multi accounting. The userbase alleges that these crazy inflated prices are largely because of cheaters basically, who cheat to get tons of Neopoints and then proceed to manipulate the market. On Neopets, the cheaters are so strong that you basically will never see the rare items come down in price because they will get to the 'cheap' stuff first.

So if the same allegations for market manipulation are being tossed around for the light sprite? This just brings to question how in the world this happened. I would certainly hope that it's not cheating but then that implies this person was either doing a lot of cross site trading, or they're really buying gems all the time. Even for cross site trading, it's extremely hard to come up with enough to buy all those light sprites.
tastefulmarketing.gif
Oh wow. They've really gotten that pricey huh? I bought mine back when they were around 50kg and even got a discount and paid 45kg. I can't imagine having to spend three times that.

At this point there's so many things in jox box and we can only buy one, the chances of getting year one items would be so low, I think they should be added now. The rarity wouldn't really be impacted.
Oh wow. They've really gotten that pricey huh? I bought mine back when they were around 50kg and even got a discount and paid 45kg. I can't imagine having to spend three times that.

At this point there's so many things in jox box and we can only buy one, the chances of getting year one items would be so low, I think they should be added now. The rarity wouldn't really be impacted.
LVeJ3XV.png8KFUJHl.pngBVsqDM4.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9