Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Can I get your honest opinion? [art]
1 2
[center]Hia! I decided to open art shop for real $$. This far I was doing those only for ingame items, so I have hard time telling what people think they are worth. 6th of may I'll go see if I got the job or not, but if I wasn't so lucky, I'll need some money from that point on, and while I definitely don't plan this small shop to support me, it would be cool to have income from some other source, even if not big. [b]So, the question is, do you think people ordering would get their money's worth with those, if I priced them at 25$? [/b] Please be honest ^^ Some examples: [img]https://i.imgur.com/QGddXA2.gif[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/PE6VLv6.gif[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/i0p3ZNE.gif[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/G8SBo2Y.gif[/img][/center]
Hia! I decided to open art shop for real $$. This far I was doing those only for ingame items, so I have hard time telling what people think they are worth.

6th of may I'll go see if I got the job or not, but if I wasn't so lucky, I'll need some money from that point on, and while I definitely don't plan this small shop to support me, it would be cool to have income from some other source, even if not big.

So, the question is, do you think people ordering would get their money's worth with those, if I priced them at 25$? Please be honest ^^

Some examples:

QGddXA2.gif
PE6VLv6.gif
i0p3ZNE.gif
G8SBo2Y.gif
7KDaHHG.gif
@Kruciatto

I love your style. You should consider opening up a USD, even if it's not a full-time thing. These are beautiful!
@Kruciatto

I love your style. You should consider opening up a USD, even if it's not a full-time thing. These are beautiful!
They would absolutely sell, very beautiful work!

I would pay more than $25 for these personally, but it's often pretty hard to sell art for actually reasonable USD prices on games like these (... or in general, really), as a lot of people sadly may not have the income to do so -- but I can tell you I'd be interested in buying these if I did.

These ones you showed are very detailed. I suppose you could factor in how long it takes you to make one, but these look like they take a while.

$25 for one of these wouldn't just be their money's worth -- it'd be a bargain. I think $25 should be your absolute minimum, like for a simple character/design, and charge more for more complex designs.
They would absolutely sell, very beautiful work!

I would pay more than $25 for these personally, but it's often pretty hard to sell art for actually reasonable USD prices on games like these (... or in general, really), as a lot of people sadly may not have the income to do so -- but I can tell you I'd be interested in buying these if I did.

These ones you showed are very detailed. I suppose you could factor in how long it takes you to make one, but these look like they take a while.

$25 for one of these wouldn't just be their money's worth -- it'd be a bargain. I think $25 should be your absolute minimum, like for a simple character/design, and charge more for more complex designs.

I'll make a nice signature eventually :(
These are very very nice and pretty! However you might be underselling. There's high detail and subtle animation that overqualifies the price I feel. But I'm no art appraiser so I dunno.
These are very very nice and pretty! However you might be underselling. There's high detail and subtle animation that overqualifies the price I feel. But I'm no art appraiser so I dunno.
bgGXGPE.png
LGvol4P.png
G8AyR6r.png
AaYNmEX.png
SYiQlxK.png
ZcE4a9h.png

wip sig pls bear with i'm new to this stuff
On any "traditional" commissioning platform, this artwork would be worth more than $25. I would say at minimum $50-$80.

Though the market is what it is, people are short on cash and may be reluctant to commission/ trust an artist they have no prior experience with.

Maybe consider the $25 to be introductory pricing, until you get your shop and client base established. Keep that price for as long as you feel you need it. If at any time you find yourself swimming in commissions, consider raising to more appropriate pricing. Maybe some of your happy customers would be willing to write a testimonial for you.
On any "traditional" commissioning platform, this artwork would be worth more than $25. I would say at minimum $50-$80.

Though the market is what it is, people are short on cash and may be reluctant to commission/ trust an artist they have no prior experience with.

Maybe consider the $25 to be introductory pricing, until you get your shop and client base established. Keep that price for as long as you feel you need it. If at any time you find yourself swimming in commissions, consider raising to more appropriate pricing. Maybe some of your happy customers would be willing to write a testimonial for you.
YgOQ2oY.pngRfSBvPi.pngRtSbM78.pngiezVfl0.pngiWjBTCn.png

I'm no good with pricing, but these look very detailed and full of life, so $25 seems to be underselling immensely. But, the market is fickle! Reading other people's posts, I'm agreeing that you may be good with running a special where the first (insert number) get a discount of $25 per piece and then go with a new price afterwards.

I wish you luck on the job, though!
I'm no good with pricing, but these look very detailed and full of life, so $25 seems to be underselling immensely. But, the market is fickle! Reading other people's posts, I'm agreeing that you may be good with running a special where the first (insert number) get a discount of $25 per piece and then go with a new price afterwards.

I wish you luck on the job, though!
9iqeDz7.png
@SirensAcrimony @Amei @2Blue2BTrue @EclipseDragon @Loniface

Thank you all for really insightful opinions and compliments! I too share opinion that 25$ might be too much for some, meanwhile so little for others. I'm kinda scared of rising it too high, as 25 is already somewhat big for just pixely picture. Or maybe I don't believe much in my skills? I dunno.
But I'll listen and make it a starting price, and then adjust accordingly! Thank you again for helping me out!
@SirensAcrimony @Amei @2Blue2BTrue @EclipseDragon @Loniface

Thank you all for really insightful opinions and compliments! I too share opinion that 25$ might be too much for some, meanwhile so little for others. I'm kinda scared of rising it too high, as 25 is already somewhat big for just pixely picture. Or maybe I don't believe much in my skills? I dunno.
But I'll listen and make it a starting price, and then adjust accordingly! Thank you again for helping me out!
7KDaHHG.gif
i'd ask at least double that. imo it's easier to start high and lower your prices if you're not getting bites than it is to charge too little, get overwhelmed, and end up having to raise prices. it also sits better with customers that way.

it's up to you though ofc; if you need money in a hurry and are ok with undercharging to sell lots quickly then go for it. these are lovely though and i certainly think bare minimum you should consider $30-$40.
i'd ask at least double that. imo it's easier to start high and lower your prices if you're not getting bites than it is to charge too little, get overwhelmed, and end up having to raise prices. it also sits better with customers that way.

it's up to you though ofc; if you need money in a hurry and are ok with undercharging to sell lots quickly then go for it. these are lovely though and i certainly think bare minimum you should consider $30-$40.
9121892.png xxxxx
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
As someone who went to art school, I was taught by professors and students alike that a good way to price commissions is by how long they may take you on average. I've been told that a common base people do is at least the minimum wage of the artist's region per hour worked on the piece although many will do a bit more. And I agree with the others, I think $25 is underselling yourself a bit. Don't worry about charging more, if a commissioner really likes your art, they'll be willing to pay the price you set.
As someone who went to art school, I was taught by professors and students alike that a good way to price commissions is by how long they may take you on average. I've been told that a common base people do is at least the minimum wage of the artist's region per hour worked on the piece although many will do a bit more. And I agree with the others, I think $25 is underselling yourself a bit. Don't worry about charging more, if a commissioner really likes your art, they'll be willing to pay the price you set.
She/Her 24
Big Dragon Nerd
I only ever get obsessed with media that's at least 10 years old for some reason.
Artist and Writer
@Kruciatto Hello! Your thread has been moved to the Creative Corner.
@Kruciatto Hello! Your thread has been moved to the Creative Corner.
Tundra with the words 'Love is the Brightest Light'
Volunteer Moderator :If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation, please feel free to use the Contact Us form.
1 2