Back

Bug Report Forums

Report bugs and errors to the Flight Rising development team.
TOPIC | coliseum flickering [epilepsy concern?]
unfortunately i don't have the means to record my screen, but when i opened up coli to train some fodder a little past 02:30 site time, a couple times per second at a fairly consistent rate the entire 'window' that the coliseum interface sits within would go completely black for a fraction of a second and then come back. this persisted in the initial menu and during battles, but stopped in the venue select menu. reopening the coliseum in a new tab a few minutes later the flickering has stopped, and i've never experienced the issue before, so i'm not sure how i would recreate it.

as the title says, i'm worried about what this means for folks with photosensitive epilepsy. i [autistic and with sensory issues, but not epileptic] could barely look at the screen due to the intensity of the flashing, so i think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that this could trigger a seizure. thankfully since this is the first i've encountered it it's hopefully a rare issue, and obviously it wasn't left in to spite epileptics or anything lol, but i hope fixing it is made a priority regardless!

i play flight rising on desktop with the latest release version of firefox, on a mid-grade laptop running windows 11. i use ublock origin to block invasive ads and trackers and the like, but as far as i know it shouldn't be touching the coliseum window at all. according to task manager my memory use was at ~75% at the time and cpu was somewhere around 10%, which is pretty standard for me and again has never impacted flight rising in a way i've noticed.
unfortunately i don't have the means to record my screen, but when i opened up coli to train some fodder a little past 02:30 site time, a couple times per second at a fairly consistent rate the entire 'window' that the coliseum interface sits within would go completely black for a fraction of a second and then come back. this persisted in the initial menu and during battles, but stopped in the venue select menu. reopening the coliseum in a new tab a few minutes later the flickering has stopped, and i've never experienced the issue before, so i'm not sure how i would recreate it.

as the title says, i'm worried about what this means for folks with photosensitive epilepsy. i [autistic and with sensory issues, but not epileptic] could barely look at the screen due to the intensity of the flashing, so i think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that this could trigger a seizure. thankfully since this is the first i've encountered it it's hopefully a rare issue, and obviously it wasn't left in to spite epileptics or anything lol, but i hope fixing it is made a priority regardless!

i play flight rising on desktop with the latest release version of firefox, on a mid-grade laptop running windows 11. i use ublock origin to block invasive ads and trackers and the like, but as far as i know it shouldn't be touching the coliseum window at all. according to task manager my memory use was at ~75% at the time and cpu was somewhere around 10%, which is pretty standard for me and again has never impacted flight rising in a way i've noticed.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TESbSkp.png
x
spore | she/they | FR+17:30
wishlist | hoardlist/dream dragons | skinccent shop
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TESbSkp.png
x
an update on this - just now [03:41 site time] the flickering started again, this time in the middle of an ongoing battle session after switching between tabs. multiple refreshes didn't fix the issue, but it stopped after i went to check my cauldron and came back all within the same tab, which took a couple minutes. still no video, but i did manage to get a screenshot of the black area - imagine this but rapidly flickering in and out with the regular coli interface. [in retrospect, i should have captured my entire window - the rest of the flight rising page and my browser was unaffected, it's exclusively this area where the coliseum is rendered that was blacked out.] [img]https://i.imgur.com/Cb8ROMA.png[/img] something else i've noticed is that on both occasions, the flickering started while coli was already pretty laggy [constant visible frame drops and hanging for several seconds after my dragon or an enemy selected a move]. maybe a side effect of lag where the entire window is failing to render? no idea how coli is programmed so that could be completely irrelevant, but just throwing out any idea i can think of :']
an update on this - just now [03:41 site time] the flickering started again, this time in the middle of an ongoing battle session after switching between tabs. multiple refreshes didn't fix the issue, but it stopped after i went to check my cauldron and came back all within the same tab, which took a couple minutes. still no video, but i did manage to get a screenshot of the black area - imagine this but rapidly flickering in and out with the regular coli interface. [in retrospect, i should have captured my entire window - the rest of the flight rising page and my browser was unaffected, it's exclusively this area where the coliseum is rendered that was blacked out.]

Cb8ROMA.png

something else i've noticed is that on both occasions, the flickering started while coli was already pretty laggy [constant visible frame drops and hanging for several seconds after my dragon or an enemy selected a move]. maybe a side effect of lag where the entire window is failing to render? no idea how coli is programmed so that could be completely irrelevant, but just throwing out any idea i can think of :']
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TESbSkp.png
x
spore | she/they | FR+17:30
wishlist | hoardlist/dream dragons | skinccent shop
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
TESbSkp.png
x
i'm having this issue too!! super similar circumstances - firefox, windows 11, using ublock origin, not epileptic either but it's really difficult to coli while the screen is flashing... refreshing isn't a reliable solution for me either :(

it's happened 3 times now i think, and while i've never had lag in the coli, it felt like the issue was triggered when I started interacting with a separate window on my other monitor.

even weirder, I just tried use snipping tool to record the issue and it didn't pick up the flashing? not sure how else i would capture it without, you know, using my phone :p
i'm having this issue too!! super similar circumstances - firefox, windows 11, using ublock origin, not epileptic either but it's really difficult to coli while the screen is flashing... refreshing isn't a reliable solution for me either :(

it's happened 3 times now i think, and while i've never had lag in the coli, it felt like the issue was triggered when I started interacting with a separate window on my other monitor.

even weirder, I just tried use snipping tool to record the issue and it didn't pick up the flashing? not sure how else i would capture it without, you know, using my phone :p
z3ouQq5.gif i don't subscribe to threads - please ping me if you want me to see!
mick | they/them | 23
Epileptic here...while I do not have this particular issue, I have been having a hard time staying connected to the Coli while in battle. I have flashing turned off due to my disorder, so if I was having the same problem, I would not know it. Firefox on Windows 10 and I HAVE checked my Internet connection with no change in the last hour.

Turning on flashing WOULD lead to a seizure, so I will not do that. Now if the issue mentioned above still happens with flash effects turned off, I would be in trouble.
Epileptic here...while I do not have this particular issue, I have been having a hard time staying connected to the Coli while in battle. I have flashing turned off due to my disorder, so if I was having the same problem, I would not know it. Firefox on Windows 10 and I HAVE checked my Internet connection with no change in the last hour.

Turning on flashing WOULD lead to a seizure, so I will not do that. Now if the issue mentioned above still happens with flash effects turned off, I would be in trouble.
This has been happening to me since February!

Firefox, windows 11, ublock origin, refreshing doesn't help (sometimes it makes it flash even faster!)

I'm not epileptic but I'm seriously concerned about it causing health issues if I look at it for too long (so far it has caused a few bad headaches), so I've been locked out of Coli for a good 2ish months now due to this issue

I would try to record it somehow but I really don't want to give anyone health problems due to it

@KairiDragoness I've had this problem even with the "flashes/shakes" option de-selected, so you might want to be careful until devs fix this!

Edit: I just tried the Coli on mobile for several rounds and it didn't experience any flashing. iPhone XR, safari, AdGuard adblock, no changes after refreshing the page
This has been happening to me since February!

Firefox, windows 11, ublock origin, refreshing doesn't help (sometimes it makes it flash even faster!)

I'm not epileptic but I'm seriously concerned about it causing health issues if I look at it for too long (so far it has caused a few bad headaches), so I've been locked out of Coli for a good 2ish months now due to this issue

I would try to record it somehow but I really don't want to give anyone health problems due to it

@KairiDragoness I've had this problem even with the "flashes/shakes" option de-selected, so you might want to be careful until devs fix this!

Edit: I just tried the Coli on mobile for several rounds and it didn't experience any flashing. iPhone XR, safari, AdGuard adblock, no changes after refreshing the page
trans guy (transgender flag)
nonbinary (nonbinary flag)
he/they pronouns (demiboy flag)
gay (blue-green mlm/nblm flag)
asexual (asexual flag)
system host (system pride flag)
x

x a clear bottle is decorated with a black falcon feather and a red plague flight charm tied to its cork. inside the bottle are a scrap of red fabric, a chunk of black obsidian, and a floating skull.

x nonbinary flaggay mlm/nblm flagasexual flag
this has been happening to me for about an hour now, been doing it sporadically the last few days/weeks but has been extra bad today for some reason, rip
this has been happening to me for about an hour now, been doing it sporadically the last few days/weeks but has been extra bad today for some reason, rip

Z1RkWWM.png

H0t7Ypl.png
TW2mke5.png
n4H37dx.png
mjtJ868.png
Hey everyone, I am so sorry to hear you're experiencing this. I've already notified both engineering and production to this thread and your concerns.

In the meantime, if you're experiencing this flickering or have experienced it—please don't go back to check it if it causes you problems!—can you tell us a little bit about the system it happened on?
  • Device type
  • Device OS & OS version
  • Browser & browser version
  • Connection (school wifi, data, home wifi, etc)
  • Anti-virus or anti-maleware programs

Thank you!
Hey everyone, I am so sorry to hear you're experiencing this. I've already notified both engineering and production to this thread and your concerns.

In the meantime, if you're experiencing this flickering or have experienced it—please don't go back to check it if it causes you problems!—can you tell us a little bit about the system it happened on?
  • Device type
  • Device OS & OS version
  • Browser & browser version
  • Connection (school wifi, data, home wifi, etc)
  • Anti-virus or anti-maleware programs

Thank you!
Hello all,

This has the hallmarks of a graphics-related browser issue. After investigation and review, it looks like this is something we're unable to directly control, unfortunately. Additionally, there have not been any changes to the Coliseum client code in the timeframe in which this started, and of the reports above experiencing the issue @Zosonils described, we have 3 reported Firefox/Win11 and 1 unspecified, which makes me suspect there may be something going on particularly on Firefox/Win11.

Here are our best workaround suggestions at the moment:
First, if you have a condition such as photosensitive epilepsy and you encounter this black flickering issue, please discontinue playing Coliseum on that browser/device combination immediately. Do not test workarounds if it would put you in any kind of risk.
  1. Play on a different browser.
  2. Play on a different device.
  3. Ensure your browser is updated (if not already up-to-date.)
  4. Ensure your graphics driver is updated (if not already up-to-date.)
  5. Toggle hardware acceleration in your browser; if it is on, turn it off, or vice versa. Instructions for changing this setting in Firefox are available here.

I am sorry this issue is occurring, but I am hopeful we can narrow in on an effective workaround for the people it is affecting.
Hello all,

This has the hallmarks of a graphics-related browser issue. After investigation and review, it looks like this is something we're unable to directly control, unfortunately. Additionally, there have not been any changes to the Coliseum client code in the timeframe in which this started, and of the reports above experiencing the issue @Zosonils described, we have 3 reported Firefox/Win11 and 1 unspecified, which makes me suspect there may be something going on particularly on Firefox/Win11.

First, if you have a condition such as photosensitive epilepsy and you encounter this black flickering issue, please discontinue playing Coliseum on that browser/device combination immediately. Do not test workarounds if it would put you in any kind of risk.
  1. Play on a different browser.
  2. Play on a different device.
  3. Ensure your browser is updated (if not already up-to-date.)
  4. Ensure your graphics driver is updated (if not already up-to-date.)
  5. Toggle hardware acceleration in your browser; if it is on, turn it off, or vice versa. Instructions for changing this setting in Firefox are available here.

I am sorry this issue is occurring, but I am hopeful we can narrow in on an effective workaround for the people it is affecting.
Flight Rising Engineering Team

Flight Rising Knowledge Base
Flight Rising Rules & Policies
Hi! I have some information for this. I play on Windows 10 Firefox and have sometimes seen the Coli flickering rapidly, especially if I'm alt-tabbing to and from the Coli window (e.g. putting on music). So it's not just Windows 11, but also at least some versions of Windows 10.
Hi! I have some information for this. I play on Windows 10 Firefox and have sometimes seen the Coli flickering rapidly, especially if I'm alt-tabbing to and from the Coli window (e.g. putting on music). So it's not just Windows 11, but also at least some versions of Windows 10.
[quote name="Mutron" date="2024-04-22 10:26:01" ] Here are our best workaround suggestions at the moment: Play on a different browser. Play on a different device. Ensure your browser is updated (if not already up-to-date.) Ensure your graphics driver is updated (if not already up-to-date.) Toggle hardware acceleration in your browser; if it is on, turn it off, or vice versa. Instructions for changing this setting in Firefox are available here. [/quote] Hi! Finally had the chance to test these; the Safari browser was fine as was my iPhone, though I didn't test Firefox on iPhone. My laptop's graphics driver is up-to-date, and the flashing continued even after the most recent Firefox update (I updated literally five minutes before testing the final suggestion lol). The thing that [i]did[/i] help was disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox! I tested this for about 30 minutes and with several rounds of fodder (so several refreshes, enemy variations, dragon/team variations, and even different YouTube videos in another tab), and I never got the flashing to reappear again. Hopefully this doesn't happen again, and hope this helps the others in this thread! [emoji=spiral laughing size=1]
Mutron wrote on 2024-04-22 10:26:01:

Play on a different browser.
Play on a different device.
Ensure your browser is updated (if not already up-to-date.)
Ensure your graphics driver is updated (if not already up-to-date.)
Toggle hardware acceleration in your browser; if it is on, turn it off, or vice versa. Instructions for changing this setting in Firefox are available here.

Hi! Finally had the chance to test these; the Safari browser was fine as was my iPhone, though I didn't test Firefox on iPhone. My laptop's graphics driver is up-to-date, and the flashing continued even after the most recent Firefox update (I updated literally five minutes before testing the final suggestion lol).

The thing that did help was disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox! I tested this for about 30 minutes and with several rounds of fodder (so several refreshes, enemy variations, dragon/team variations, and even different YouTube videos in another tab), and I never got the flashing to reappear again.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again, and hope this helps the others in this thread!
trans guy (transgender flag)
nonbinary (nonbinary flag)
he/they pronouns (demiboy flag)
gay (blue-green mlm/nblm flag)
asexual (asexual flag)
system host (system pride flag)
x

x a clear bottle is decorated with a black falcon feather and a red plague flight charm tied to its cork. inside the bottle are a scrap of red fabric, a chunk of black obsidian, and a floating skull.

x nonbinary flaggay mlm/nblm flagasexual flag