Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | How many breeds is too many?
1 2
As someone who joined pre-ancients, it feels crazy to ask this question, but as we get 2-3 new breeds a year, it begs the question, how many breeds is too many breeds?

By the time the first "round" of ancients are done, and all flights have an ancient, we'll have 26 breeds! That's a lotta dragons, and while nothing is set in stone, I think it's reasonable from things said in the past from devs that there will be at least a few more ancients after that, such as here.

Personally, I wouldn't say I'm getting *overwhelmed* per se, but I guess I'm just getting a bit bored? The thrill of ancient releases are already dying a bit for me, and I personally never actually really use ancients. I have a single ancient in my lair. Not because I don't like them, but I just kind of... forget about them within a month after their release lol. I'm just not a massive fan of not being able to dress my dragons, so I'm really picky about ancients, probably too picky.

On one hand, I want all the dragons, but on the other hand, I feel like there's going to be a point where it's just too many. I feel like once we start hitting 30's, it's going to be really hard to keep track of em' all, haha.
As someone who joined pre-ancients, it feels crazy to ask this question, but as we get 2-3 new breeds a year, it begs the question, how many breeds is too many breeds?

By the time the first "round" of ancients are done, and all flights have an ancient, we'll have 26 breeds! That's a lotta dragons, and while nothing is set in stone, I think it's reasonable from things said in the past from devs that there will be at least a few more ancients after that, such as here.

Personally, I wouldn't say I'm getting *overwhelmed* per se, but I guess I'm just getting a bit bored? The thrill of ancient releases are already dying a bit for me, and I personally never actually really use ancients. I have a single ancient in my lair. Not because I don't like them, but I just kind of... forget about them within a month after their release lol. I'm just not a massive fan of not being able to dress my dragons, so I'm really picky about ancients, probably too picky.

On one hand, I want all the dragons, but on the other hand, I feel like there's going to be a point where it's just too many. I feel like once we start hitting 30's, it's going to be really hard to keep track of em' all, haha.
tumblr_osqe959pr91v8lm95o1_75sq.gif
> +3 FR
>She/Her
>Stuck in G1 Hell
It's already too many for me, but I can just stick with the dragons I have and that's fine. I'm happy other people are enjoying new things.
It's already too many for me, but I can just stick with the dragons I have and that's fine. I'm happy other people are enjoying new things.
Breed Every (Primary) Color Checklist [Guardian/Nocturne Rainbow Challenge]
The Rainbow Swarm Checklist [Veilspun Rainbow Challenge]
Bogshot [Longshot Basic-to-Rare Challenge]
Weekly egg until no more egg

zOT9E44.pngNcJZJ06.pngWjJZ2Rn.pngmlHpBMC.png
i'm worried what will happen once every flight has their ancient. i really can't say i want more ancients after that, but i'm nervous the team will keep churning them out anyway. the point of ancients was to keep us from getting too bored between modern releases, but at this point i'm kind of bored of ancients haha. i'd rather have no new breeds for a while and maybe like one ancient a year or something if we must have more.

i don't want it to become unbalanced where ancients vastly outnumber moderns bc that just doesn't make sense to me, worldbuilding-wise.
i'm worried what will happen once every flight has their ancient. i really can't say i want more ancients after that, but i'm nervous the team will keep churning them out anyway. the point of ancients was to keep us from getting too bored between modern releases, but at this point i'm kind of bored of ancients haha. i'd rather have no new breeds for a while and maybe like one ancient a year or something if we must have more.

i don't want it to become unbalanced where ancients vastly outnumber moderns bc that just doesn't make sense to me, worldbuilding-wise.
9121892.png xxxxx
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
As someone who is also from pre-ancients, i can kind of feel the novelty wearing off on me. Gaolers even though they aren't that different from a modern dragon, save for their wings-- were a really big deal for me because of all the lore surrounding them and the Tundras. But to be honest, I haven't felt too excited about a breed release since, except maybe Obelisks? And i use a lot of ancients because they're cheap to gene, and i'm actually not too gun-ho on outfits as i used to be. A lot of them i keep simple because i like how the genes/colour combos look.

I just find an ancient breed becomes much more appealing to me once they get a big gene expansion (undertides.) And to be honest, i haven't liked much of the ancients theyve released recently with the exception of sandsurges, but every release i'm like "its fine, the next dragon might be more to my tastes."

Soon i wonder if we will get to the point where the ancients usurp the moderns in count. It will certainly happen considering the massive difference in workload, but i dunno, i find the speed at which they release makes me appreciate them a little less! It feels so... contrarian to say as a player that i want *less* content, haha. I find I've been getting more excited about the free two eggs to hatch than the breeds themselves, lol.
As someone who is also from pre-ancients, i can kind of feel the novelty wearing off on me. Gaolers even though they aren't that different from a modern dragon, save for their wings-- were a really big deal for me because of all the lore surrounding them and the Tundras. But to be honest, I haven't felt too excited about a breed release since, except maybe Obelisks? And i use a lot of ancients because they're cheap to gene, and i'm actually not too gun-ho on outfits as i used to be. A lot of them i keep simple because i like how the genes/colour combos look.

I just find an ancient breed becomes much more appealing to me once they get a big gene expansion (undertides.) And to be honest, i haven't liked much of the ancients theyve released recently with the exception of sandsurges, but every release i'm like "its fine, the next dragon might be more to my tastes."

Soon i wonder if we will get to the point where the ancients usurp the moderns in count. It will certainly happen considering the massive difference in workload, but i dunno, i find the speed at which they release makes me appreciate them a little less! It feels so... contrarian to say as a player that i want *less* content, haha. I find I've been getting more excited about the free two eggs to hatch than the breeds themselves, lol.
xulc4O8.png
Neopets has way more, we can make it work.

I get one or two per new breed but it's as if it's a new modern tert I like - I like creating dragons around one as a theme, and their terts are obviously always cool.

I get one or two per new breed but it's as if it's a new modern tert I like - I like creating dragons around one as a theme, and their terts are obviously always cool.
QYzhmAi.png
in one way, yeah so many options, hard to chose
...but at same, great I have many options so that I don't need to stick with same ones. but ancients just aren't grabbing me well enough. I like designs, but... more genes. I always want more gene options. too many dragons, but not enough genes
in one way, yeah so many options, hard to chose
...but at same, great I have many options so that I don't need to stick with same ones. but ancients just aren't grabbing me well enough. I like designs, but... more genes. I always want more gene options. too many dragons, but not enough genes
WIhgWqV.pngyeetWr77RAu.png

yeet
you
see
mE
wHy

yeet hYZxkBA.gif
[quote name="MulberryScroll" date="2024-04-17 16:59:50" ] Neopets has way more, we can make it work. I get one or two per new breed but it's as if it's a new modern tert I like - I like creating dragons around one as a theme, and their terts are obviously always cool. [/quote] i think neopets is an unfair comparison, since out of 55, only one of which is in an uncustomizable state (and only to a certain extent at that). not to mention that the vandagyre's release was 8 YEARS after the last "new pets" where staff had a very different set of resources and constraints compared to the FR team.
MulberryScroll wrote on 2024-04-17 16:59:50:

i think neopets is an unfair comparison, since out of 55, only one of which is in an uncustomizable state (and only to a certain extent at that). not to mention that the vandagyre's release was 8 YEARS after the last "new pets" where staff had a very different set of resources and constraints compared to the FR team.
LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema bobbing her head, wearing white headphones with black trim and a pink heart symbol on the ear cup.LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema doing the monkey dance while flapping her wings and shaking her tail from side to side.LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema dancing by waving her front legs in the air and turning her body from side to side.LilLegendary's green snapper dragon named Diema with one foreleg on her hip and the other waving in the air.
Personally, the only problem I'm experiencing is the lack of space. But I cannot imagine what it's like for people who want to get one or two of each but are busy. I hope it slows down a little bit, it's a bit too fast imo!
Personally, the only problem I'm experiencing is the lack of space. But I cannot imagine what it's like for people who want to get one or two of each but are busy. I hope it slows down a little bit, it's a bit too fast imo!
Link to art shopLink to skin shopImage depicting a large blue crab carrying produce on their back, its purpose being a background element for the signatureLink to a personal log thread containing various different links, information and sources
None if we actually keep getting space for them lol. I don't mind the amount of breeds. I mind being stuck and not being able to actually enjoy breeds when I don't have the space when they're released thanks to us getting space rarely xD

Well, I'd like us to get more winning skin slots for fests too, adding two more wasn't enough in my opinion!
None if we actually keep getting space for them lol. I don't mind the amount of breeds. I mind being stuck and not being able to actually enjoy breeds when I don't have the space when they're released thanks to us getting space rarely xD

Well, I'd like us to get more winning skin slots for fests too, adding two more wasn't enough in my opinion!
55871_s.gif
PDuDspB.png
JvUa9ma.png
FObX7rS.png
mjtJ868.png
tyEuRXe.png
I don't think there are too many now and it is hard to imagine there ever being too many even at the current pace of release.
No one HAS to have every type of dragon and it is nice to have options.
I really do not understand complaining about having options and too many dragon breeds as if people are obligated to engage with every bit of content that comes out...

People need to focus on the breeds that make them happy and stop complaining about the breeds that make other people happy. Not everything is going to please everyone which is one of the reasons more breeds and more options seem like a good thing to me, because then everyone can find something they like.
I don't think there are too many now and it is hard to imagine there ever being too many even at the current pace of release.
No one HAS to have every type of dragon and it is nice to have options.
I really do not understand complaining about having options and too many dragon breeds as if people are obligated to engage with every bit of content that comes out...

People need to focus on the breeds that make them happy and stop complaining about the breeds that make other people happy. Not everything is going to please everyone which is one of the reasons more breeds and more options seem like a good thing to me, because then everyone can find something they like.
7CPn34O.png
1 2