Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Ask Me Anything about airplanes
1 2
what the title says. Do you have any burning questions about how planes and airlines work? I know the answers, ask away Some facts to start 1. Airplanes are pressurized with air from the outside of the plane. The atmosphere up there is still breathable, just at a lower pressure than human lungs can use. Air is sucked into the plane by the engines, cooled down, and pumped into the plane to create the higher pressure so you can breath. 2. There has never been a crash caused by turbulence. Planes are built to handle immense forces beyond anything normal turbulence can do. You can find youtube videos of plane wings being tested where metal cables attached to the wings bend them up and down at extreme angles. Turbulence can still cause injuries, though, and can happen without warning, which is why you always need to wear your seatbelt even when it seems smooth. 3. When the captain says they'll "try to make up time in the air" on a delayed flight, you might wonder how they're able to do that. Do they just fly faster? Why don't they always just fly that fast if they're able to do it? Yes, pilots can fly faster than their normal cruising speed if necessary. This isn't very fuel efficient though, not good for the environment or for the airline's finances. Planes have an optimal cruising speed to stick to for maximum fuel efficiency, and usually they want to stay there. But if the flight is running very late and is going to mess up the airline's schedule, they can choose to sacrifice efficiency for speed. They can also request to bypass low altitude speed limits, a more direct route to their destination, and other route changes to get around bumpy weather and busy airspaces. There are many little time saving things pilots are able to do when needed 4. Lavatory doors can be quickly unlocked from the outside by a hidden switch. Don't get up to any mischief in there. 5. Even with smoking on planes banned on all commercial flights, an ashtray in the bathroom is still considered essential equipment and legally a plane can't fly if one is broken or missing. If someone does try to smoke, they need a place to dispose of it that isn't the trash can or dropping it under the seat. That makes fire (Bad) 6. Flight attendants like it when you give them chocolate or Starbucks gift cards. Just don't expect an automatic upgrade in return, it's just a nice thing to do. [img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/be/2f/e6/be2fe6fb6d697e92589c152ea70aaeb8.jpg[/img] [size=1]I don't work in aviation, I'm just a nerd. if you work in aviation that's sick feel free to chime in[/size]
what the title says. Do you have any burning questions about how planes and airlines work? I know the answers, ask away

Some facts to start

1. Airplanes are pressurized with air from the outside of the plane. The atmosphere up there is still breathable, just at a lower pressure than human lungs can use. Air is sucked into the plane by the engines, cooled down, and pumped into the plane to create the higher pressure so you can breath.

2. There has never been a crash caused by turbulence. Planes are built to handle immense forces beyond anything normal turbulence can do. You can find youtube videos of plane wings being tested where metal cables attached to the wings bend them up and down at extreme angles. Turbulence can still cause injuries, though, and can happen without warning, which is why you always need to wear your seatbelt even when it seems smooth.

3. When the captain says they'll "try to make up time in the air" on a delayed flight, you might wonder how they're able to do that. Do they just fly faster? Why don't they always just fly that fast if they're able to do it? Yes, pilots can fly faster than their normal cruising speed if necessary. This isn't very fuel efficient though, not good for the environment or for the airline's finances. Planes have an optimal cruising speed to stick to for maximum fuel efficiency, and usually they want to stay there. But if the flight is running very late and is going to mess up the airline's schedule, they can choose to sacrifice efficiency for speed. They can also request to bypass low altitude speed limits, a more direct route to their destination, and other route changes to get around bumpy weather and busy airspaces. There are many little time saving things pilots are able to do when needed

4. Lavatory doors can be quickly unlocked from the outside by a hidden switch. Don't get up to any mischief in there.

5. Even with smoking on planes banned on all commercial flights, an ashtray in the bathroom is still considered essential equipment and legally a plane can't fly if one is broken or missing. If someone does try to smoke, they need a place to dispose of it that isn't the trash can or dropping it under the seat. That makes fire (Bad)

6. Flight attendants like it when you give them chocolate or Starbucks gift cards. Just don't expect an automatic upgrade in return, it's just a nice thing to do.

be2fe6fb6d697e92589c152ea70aaeb8.jpg

I don't work in aviation, I'm just a nerd. if you work in aviation that's sick feel free to chime in
Valentine :3
IrmwTXC.png
tn0RSo5.png
FOkQn80.png
6uThYLh.png
PnAMpIx.png
Does the....toilet stuff ACTUALLY get dumped outside whilst flying?
Does the....toilet stuff ACTUALLY get dumped outside whilst flying?
HzGpUHb.png
since there's never been a crash caused by turbulence, what would be the cause of a crash?

also, do you have a favorite plane? i don't know if it counts as a "plane" exactly but i love the B2 Spirit, it just looks so silly to me
since there's never been a crash caused by turbulence, what would be the cause of a crash?

also, do you have a favorite plane? i don't know if it counts as a "plane" exactly but i love the B2 Spirit, it just looks so silly to me
879f5985a86ebc325ac88c5863ef7b773042fea4.png
what was considered the first "safe" plane, i know that's not an easy question to answer but i know a bit about the early days of commercial aviation and it sounded absolutely terrifying.
what was considered the first "safe" plane, i know that's not an easy question to answer but i know a bit about the early days of commercial aviation and it sounded absolutely terrifying.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
Opinions on the Sukhoi SU-57. Also favorite plane
Opinions on the Sukhoi SU-57. Also favorite plane
UwUnl7O.png
mlHpBMC.pngmjtJ868.png 5vnsOgE.pngQ2if6VF.png
can commercial planes do any cool tricks
can commercial planes do any cool tricks
Inspired.pngDetermined.pngShouting.pngSurprised.pngDizzy.pngSigh.pngInspired%5E.pngStunned%5E.pngDetermined%5E.pngSigh%5E.pngWorried%5E.pngJoyous%5E.png
buy my dragons ---> gen ones
buy more of my dragons --->hatchery
help me find my dream dragons ---> here
opinions on the piper cub? i am not a plane nerd (i like space more and my brain has space for only ONE fixation), but the piper cub looks very silly to me personally
opinions on the piper cub? i am not a plane nerd (i like space more and my brain has space for only ONE fixation), but the piper cub looks very silly to me personally
VMUWU /// NEW FR PLAYER
FR TIME + 15 /// LONG LIVE THE ARCANIST!
HEAR! THE SIREN SONG CALL OF DEATH!

kCHWEjf.png He/It (Agender flag)
Is there a specific reason that airlines(and plane manufacturers) are cutting down on the massive planes? Boeing doesn't make the 747 anymore since last year and Airbus stopped producing A380s in 2021 :(
Is there a specific reason that airlines(and plane manufacturers) are cutting down on the massive planes? Boeing doesn't make the 747 anymore since last year and Airbus stopped producing A380s in 2021 :(
She/Her | PM me about saving a fodder dragon :)
cSQQuYb.png
why cant planes fly over the andes mountains in the afternoon
why cant planes fly over the andes mountains in the afternoon

NN9NPXA.png
P9aWhak.png
OxagJgG.png
WKtl2lb.png
haxorus.gif

t3kr0g.png
Can a plane get hit by lightning? If so, what happens? (I know this is probably a ridiculous question, but I've been curious)
Can a plane get hit by lightning? If so, what happens? (I know this is probably a ridiculous question, but I've been curious)
YMPbu9R.png JGB1EvW.png OgrHaum.png DwStNU1.png o7ZCFYm.png RfMwnPI.png twiuBT0.png r8v91MH.png
1 2