Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [1x1] Stoking an Ember
1 2 3 4
Kiltac looked back over at the last question.
"Oh, this is all simple Sandsurge knowledge. Trust me, the wiring running through the Grand Laboratory could put all of this to shame! Honestly, I probably couldn't call myself a Sandsurge if I didn't know about all this tech." They chuckled to themself.
They then paused a second, musing. They'd turned back to checking over their work as they rambled on. "I'm sure you could use a lightning dragon directly to charge it all, and it'd work; just sometimes more indirect surges like that can mess with the circuitry, though... And even if you don't have anyone HERE, you could probably hire someone. I could do it, even, though that'd certainly involve a few fees and a lot more materials..."
Kiltac looked back over at the last question.
"Oh, this is all simple Sandsurge knowledge. Trust me, the wiring running through the Grand Laboratory could put all of this to shame! Honestly, I probably couldn't call myself a Sandsurge if I didn't know about all this tech." They chuckled to themself.
They then paused a second, musing. They'd turned back to checking over their work as they rambled on. "I'm sure you could use a lightning dragon directly to charge it all, and it'd work; just sometimes more indirect surges like that can mess with the circuitry, though... And even if you don't have anyone HERE, you could probably hire someone. I could do it, even, though that'd certainly involve a few fees and a lot more materials..."
Variably Active on forums, one day I'll have something more to add to this XP
Sandsurges already seemed rather... mythologic to him now. This was technology he hadn't seen before, nor think he would see in a while. Neat. What else did they have where they lived. Maybe they lived in the Stormcatcher's domain... he heard it was a technologic wonderland.

"... Can you tell that to Pachira when we see her?" Marmorata already knew he was... not the one who could parse this. He was a potter, "Why would that mess with the... circuitry?"

Maramorata had drawn closer, now trying to look at everything laid out in front of Kiltac. Nothing registered in his mind. He wanted more, "... I'm curious."
Sandsurges already seemed rather... mythologic to him now. This was technology he hadn't seen before, nor think he would see in a while. Neat. What else did they have where they lived. Maybe they lived in the Stormcatcher's domain... he heard it was a technologic wonderland.

"... Can you tell that to Pachira when we see her?" Marmorata already knew he was... not the one who could parse this. He was a potter, "Why would that mess with the... circuitry?"

Maramorata had drawn closer, now trying to look at everything laid out in front of Kiltac. Nothing registered in his mind. He wanted more, "... I'm curious."
eE6RhYO.png
Kiltac nodded.
"I can get that to her, yeah. As for why, the wiring in an automaton like this can be a bit fragile. Can only hold so much electricity, and is only meant to be routed in specific ways."
They gestured to the various points they'd hooked up.
"These wires I've set up here ensure that the electricity flows in properly, albeit these are set for far smaller things n' have heavy restriction on how much flows out, which is probably why the thing hasn't jolted to life yet, hah... It does ensure that nothin' overloads, though. Direct surges often don't have that kinda precision, and don't hook into the circuit as well, especially if just blasted in at whatever convenient angle they can get. Too much electricity in the system too fast, and the whole thing shorts out, n' the wiring can burn up from the intensity too. You either need a real skilled electrician who's done their work often, or some external charge like this big thing," they tapped on the large box that was charging the automaton, "to take the brunt of the overload and then be able to feed into the machine at a safer rate."

They were more than happy to ramble on. They loved their work, after all!
Kiltac nodded.
"I can get that to her, yeah. As for why, the wiring in an automaton like this can be a bit fragile. Can only hold so much electricity, and is only meant to be routed in specific ways."
They gestured to the various points they'd hooked up.
"These wires I've set up here ensure that the electricity flows in properly, albeit these are set for far smaller things n' have heavy restriction on how much flows out, which is probably why the thing hasn't jolted to life yet, hah... It does ensure that nothin' overloads, though. Direct surges often don't have that kinda precision, and don't hook into the circuit as well, especially if just blasted in at whatever convenient angle they can get. Too much electricity in the system too fast, and the whole thing shorts out, n' the wiring can burn up from the intensity too. You either need a real skilled electrician who's done their work often, or some external charge like this big thing," they tapped on the large box that was charging the automaton, "to take the brunt of the overload and then be able to feed into the machine at a safer rate."

They were more than happy to ramble on. They loved their work, after all!
Slowly, Marmorata started to get more and more information. There were limits. Things could only be done a certain way. Not too different from anything, then.
Very different, actually. "So... what's an overload? And shorting? It doesn't sound like a good thing... and how would just having something large like that even help handle such?" Maybe he was getting a little invested. Maybe it was a little interesting.

"I might... be interested now," He's been doing drudgery for a peaceful existence for decades now. There was a large part wondering genuinely if he could even try to do something new, if he could even try. That would be... something he'd think about later.
Slowly, Marmorata started to get more and more information. There were limits. Things could only be done a certain way. Not too different from anything, then.
Very different, actually. "So... what's an overload? And shorting? It doesn't sound like a good thing... and how would just having something large like that even help handle such?" Maybe he was getting a little invested. Maybe it was a little interesting.

"I might... be interested now," He's been doing drudgery for a peaceful existence for decades now. There was a large part wondering genuinely if he could even try to do something new, if he could even try. That would be... something he'd think about later.
eE6RhYO.png
They chuckled a bit, seeing the other dragon's interest. Ah well, it let them divulge anyways.

"Overload is just having more electricity than the machine can handle; shorting out just means too much electricity goes in and causes it to stop functioning. Wires can only handle so much electricity, and only in certain directions; you break the flow, or bring in a surplus, and it'll cause those hefty consequences. The spark-box is mostly just a big battery; able to hold a ton of electricity inside of it without it getting out. It's less that it helps handle it, and more that it helps prevent it! You have someone put their full-force charge in this thing, which can withstand that type'a force and right itself, and then the wires limit how much it sends in. It's a limiter on the power, so not everything rushes in at once!"
They chuckled a bit, seeing the other dragon's interest. Ah well, it let them divulge anyways.

"Overload is just having more electricity than the machine can handle; shorting out just means too much electricity goes in and causes it to stop functioning. Wires can only handle so much electricity, and only in certain directions; you break the flow, or bring in a surplus, and it'll cause those hefty consequences. The spark-box is mostly just a big battery; able to hold a ton of electricity inside of it without it getting out. It's less that it helps handle it, and more that it helps prevent it! You have someone put their full-force charge in this thing, which can withstand that type'a force and right itself, and then the wires limit how much it sends in. It's a limiter on the power, so not everything rushes in at once!"
He saw, or, well, saw slightly.

"Battery... a storage device for electricity?" He could only assume at this point, "Interesting. And this is simply knowledge inherent in Lightning's domain?"

Almost how basic first aid and pathology were baked into Plague dragons. It cropped up a lot, hung over their lives as thick as miasma. With how he heard Lightning had expansive deserts, he had wondered if they too knew since hatchlinghood the times to plant, what soils were good, and survival in sunparched expanse.

"Almost a shame I've mired myself into this line of work for a few decades now."
He saw, or, well, saw slightly.

"Battery... a storage device for electricity?" He could only assume at this point, "Interesting. And this is simply knowledge inherent in Lightning's domain?"

Almost how basic first aid and pathology were baked into Plague dragons. It cropped up a lot, hung over their lives as thick as miasma. With how he heard Lightning had expansive deserts, he had wondered if they too knew since hatchlinghood the times to plant, what soils were good, and survival in sunparched expanse.

"Almost a shame I've mired myself into this line of work for a few decades now."
eE6RhYO.png
Kiltac chuckled softly.
"To some, I suppose; some've the exterior clans don't partake as much I think. But it's ABSOLUTELY a Sandsurge thing, I can tell you that much. Far as I've seen, we carry our technological prowess with us wherever we go. And hey, to be fair, there's no time like the present to branch out! Never too old to learn a few new tricks, I say! Besides, sometimes the new insights increase your own productivity anyways!"

They beamed a bit. They did enjoy learning about other lines of work, and new sights were often a catalyst for new ideas or new ways of thinking. It was this trip that'd gotten them thinking of trying to facilitate better transport methods in the Plague region, after all!
There was never something you couldn't learn from trying something new!
Kiltac chuckled softly.
"To some, I suppose; some've the exterior clans don't partake as much I think. But it's ABSOLUTELY a Sandsurge thing, I can tell you that much. Far as I've seen, we carry our technological prowess with us wherever we go. And hey, to be fair, there's no time like the present to branch out! Never too old to learn a few new tricks, I say! Besides, sometimes the new insights increase your own productivity anyways!"

They beamed a bit. They did enjoy learning about other lines of work, and new sights were often a catalyst for new ideas or new ways of thinking. It was this trip that'd gotten them thinking of trying to facilitate better transport methods in the Plague region, after all!
There was never something you couldn't learn from trying something new!
"Hmm, it's not more of a too old, more of a..." Marmorata shifted his weight, "Allowing me to do such. The only ones with nebulous positions in my clan are the ones destined for the exalted wars. If I don't keep myself in a trade, I would be on my way with the next regiment or needing to find a new clan."

His disputed Necromancer lineage was partially the reason he was pulled out from that machine all those years ago. Now that he thought of it, perhaps it may have been a lucky stroke and his own failing aptitude scores that helped in bringing him to the present.

"I'd have to petition one of the Plagueseers to take a leave of absence and also to apply for position shift, so... I don't even have the foggiest idea of where I could go either. Is there... a school?" Then again, he learned the trade from a previous, elder artisan.
"Hmm, it's not more of a too old, more of a..." Marmorata shifted his weight, "Allowing me to do such. The only ones with nebulous positions in my clan are the ones destined for the exalted wars. If I don't keep myself in a trade, I would be on my way with the next regiment or needing to find a new clan."

His disputed Necromancer lineage was partially the reason he was pulled out from that machine all those years ago. Now that he thought of it, perhaps it may have been a lucky stroke and his own failing aptitude scores that helped in bringing him to the present.

"I'd have to petition one of the Plagueseers to take a leave of absence and also to apply for position shift, so... I don't even have the foggiest idea of where I could go either. Is there... a school?" Then again, he learned the trade from a previous, elder artisan.
eE6RhYO.png
"Ah, yeah, that'll do it, fair enough..."
Kiltac paused, thinking on the second question.

"While there's certainly schools, most've 'em are out in Lightning territory. I'm sure there's a few out here, the only place I really know is the Grand Laboratory, and that's a lot more... Well, traditional necromancer duties, as 'traditional' as you can call any sandsurge necromancer's work. Most've them expect you know a bit up front, so... Not an issue for us who're raised with it, but I'd have to ask around if you were genuinely interested in the electric side of it all."

They paused, glancing at the familiar coloration. Well, unless he was interested in the necromancer part of it all. Working with plague and disease was the Grand Laboratory's major forte, and although untraditional compared to more normal necromancers, still a major focus of the area. In that sense, Kiltac was an outlier; opting to take their trials and STILL choose to focus on metal and wire engineering. It gave them a great role, and made them synergize well with most teams, but they weren't the best versed in what exactly everyone else did...
They knew enough, though, to answer simple questions. If he was interested in that much, at least.
"Ah, yeah, that'll do it, fair enough..."
Kiltac paused, thinking on the second question.

"While there's certainly schools, most've 'em are out in Lightning territory. I'm sure there's a few out here, the only place I really know is the Grand Laboratory, and that's a lot more... Well, traditional necromancer duties, as 'traditional' as you can call any sandsurge necromancer's work. Most've them expect you know a bit up front, so... Not an issue for us who're raised with it, but I'd have to ask around if you were genuinely interested in the electric side of it all."

They paused, glancing at the familiar coloration. Well, unless he was interested in the necromancer part of it all. Working with plague and disease was the Grand Laboratory's major forte, and although untraditional compared to more normal necromancers, still a major focus of the area. In that sense, Kiltac was an outlier; opting to take their trials and STILL choose to focus on metal and wire engineering. It gave them a great role, and made them synergize well with most teams, but they weren't the best versed in what exactly everyone else did...
They knew enough, though, to answer simple questions. If he was interested in that much, at least.
1 2 3 4