Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Crocheting tips?
1 2
:D Yay we've been crocheting for a few years now. We mostly do amigurumi though we're making some random hexagons right now to use up some leftover yarn bits.
:D Yay we've been crocheting for a few years now. We mostly do amigurumi though we're making some random hexagons right now to use up some leftover yarn bits.
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
i made a dragon plush and am halfway through making a second one, theyre nowhere near as nice as the big soft dragon plushies but they're fun to make!
theyre just kind of... sad worms with legs and wings lol
i made a dragon plush and am halfway through making a second one, theyre nowhere near as nice as the big soft dragon plushies but they're fun to make!
theyre just kind of... sad worms with legs and wings lol
@lilabet
I-- yet have to figure out what blocking means, tbh xD I'm trying to work on tension right now and I can already tell I've made quite a lot of progress regarding it!
And yes, I'll definitely invest in better hooks once I get a solid hang on it - as for now I'm using quite cheap ergonomic hooks and they work quite well for me! Better to get used to them to later appreciate the comfort of more expansive hooks

@FooledJester
Ohh a moss stitch? Sounds interesting, I'll take a look at it!
I did just maybe 2 or 3 granny squares so far, I found them to be a good way to practice stitches which I already know, as well as working on a desired shape of my work. I often find myself, him, bulking all the stitches in one place, resulting in my square looking more messy than it should. But it's okay, I guess it takes practice! I just need to learn how to spread them more evenly

@kiyoooo
Thank you for your tips! Damn, so nice to se so many talented people around here :D
I also want do do amigurumi in the future too (one day, some day), so your tips will be surely very useful!

Thank you all for sharing your tips and other stuff, I'm really happy to see so many answers in this thread!
@lilabet
I-- yet have to figure out what blocking means, tbh xD I'm trying to work on tension right now and I can already tell I've made quite a lot of progress regarding it!
And yes, I'll definitely invest in better hooks once I get a solid hang on it - as for now I'm using quite cheap ergonomic hooks and they work quite well for me! Better to get used to them to later appreciate the comfort of more expansive hooks

@FooledJester
Ohh a moss stitch? Sounds interesting, I'll take a look at it!
I did just maybe 2 or 3 granny squares so far, I found them to be a good way to practice stitches which I already know, as well as working on a desired shape of my work. I often find myself, him, bulking all the stitches in one place, resulting in my square looking more messy than it should. But it's okay, I guess it takes practice! I just need to learn how to spread them more evenly

@kiyoooo
Thank you for your tips! Damn, so nice to se so many talented people around here :D
I also want do do amigurumi in the future too (one day, some day), so your tips will be surely very useful!

Thank you all for sharing your tips and other stuff, I'm really happy to see so many answers in this thread!
Oh lol, I've also started fairly recently, like a few months ago!
Congrats on this new hobby, it's relaxing tho sometimes I get irritated by some brands of yarn.

I don't know if anybody advised this, but:
1. If you don't want to buy stitch markers right now, you can always use paper clips, preferably coloured ones. I don't have the markers yet, but I've been using like 4 green paper clips and they do the job well. You just need to bend a bit the outer end to open the clip and then bend the smaller part a bit to the side to remove it from the yarn easily.

2. If you're crocheting plushes with a fluffy yarn, take a hook that's 1-2 sizes less than recommended by the yarn. My very first plush had gaps in certain areas and then I discovered that taking a smaller hook would resolve this issue. The next same toy happened to be perfect and without gaps.

3. If you can't make a magic ring, you can try to chain 2, then do the required single crochets in the first hook of the chain. Single crochets will go around creating a magic ring. It is useful when you're working with a difficult yarn.
Oh lol, I've also started fairly recently, like a few months ago!
Congrats on this new hobby, it's relaxing tho sometimes I get irritated by some brands of yarn.

I don't know if anybody advised this, but:
1. If you don't want to buy stitch markers right now, you can always use paper clips, preferably coloured ones. I don't have the markers yet, but I've been using like 4 green paper clips and they do the job well. You just need to bend a bit the outer end to open the clip and then bend the smaller part a bit to the side to remove it from the yarn easily.

2. If you're crocheting plushes with a fluffy yarn, take a hook that's 1-2 sizes less than recommended by the yarn. My very first plush had gaps in certain areas and then I discovered that taking a smaller hook would resolve this issue. The next same toy happened to be perfect and without gaps.

3. If you can't make a magic ring, you can try to chain 2, then do the required single crochets in the first hook of the chain. Single crochets will go around creating a magic ring. It is useful when you're working with a difficult yarn.
1 2