Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Tell me about your fav dragon media
1 2 3
Basically, I'm dragon-obsessed and have been since I hatched out onto this earth, and I'm always looking for more books, shows, and podcasts that prominently feature dragons. I just finished Temeraire, and liked it a lot more than I thought I would (I don't normally like historical-fiction-adjacent stories), which basically proves I can love anything if it has enough focus on dragons.
Basically, I'm dragon-obsessed and have been since I hatched out onto this earth, and I'm always looking for more books, shows, and podcasts that prominently feature dragons. I just finished Temeraire, and liked it a lot more than I thought I would (I don't normally like historical-fiction-adjacent stories), which basically proves I can love anything if it has enough focus on dragons.
s40Jm1o.png
Growing up I loved the Wings of Fire series! It's been years since I've read them and I never actually finished! I have and always will be a How to Train Your Dragon lover too. I wish there were more games offering dragons as playable characters, but one that I do enjoy is Draconia which can be found on Steam. I played School of Dragons when that was still around. If you're into MMORPGs you can check out Riders of Icarus -- there are a bunch of dragons and dragon-like creatures you can tame and ride!

I grew up around boys for the most part so I'm definitely a tomboy, which I think influenced my love for dragons!
Growing up I loved the Wings of Fire series! It's been years since I've read them and I never actually finished! I have and always will be a How to Train Your Dragon lover too. I wish there were more games offering dragons as playable characters, but one that I do enjoy is Draconia which can be found on Steam. I played School of Dragons when that was still around. If you're into MMORPGs you can check out Riders of Icarus -- there are a bunch of dragons and dragon-like creatures you can tame and ride!

I grew up around boys for the most part so I'm definitely a tomboy, which I think influenced my love for dragons!
WoW Dragonflight- hahaha. Dragons everywhere and the flight system is good. New xpac will come out this year though. The flying, it's the best system I've played so far. NYOOOM. If only Blizzard knew how to make appealing designs so I could play a dragon without feeling weird about it...

I remember school of dragons. I was a server janny on the discord. I'm glad the game's no longer available. It was filled with very concerning people and complete weirdoes. Kids don't need any of that.
WoW Dragonflight- hahaha. Dragons everywhere and the flight system is good. New xpac will come out this year though. The flying, it's the best system I've played so far. NYOOOM. If only Blizzard knew how to make appealing designs so I could play a dragon without feeling weird about it...

I remember school of dragons. I was a server janny on the discord. I'm glad the game's no longer available. It was filled with very concerning people and complete weirdoes. Kids don't need any of that.
@Anou I loved WOF too! I've been actually considering rereading them lately. Both Draconia and Riders of Icarus look super interesting, I'll have to check them out!

@Vark hmmm, I might have to get back into WoW. I haven't really been following any news on it and haven't played since I was a kid, but a cool dragon expansion pack might be worth it.
@Anou I loved WOF too! I've been actually considering rereading them lately. Both Draconia and Riders of Icarus look super interesting, I'll have to check them out!

@Vark hmmm, I might have to get back into WoW. I haven't really been following any news on it and haven't played since I was a kid, but a cool dragon expansion pack might be worth it.
s40Jm1o.png
spyro the dragon is one of my favorite video game series of all time, reignited is a good way to experience the original trilogy. the legend of spyro has countless issues but if you're in dark and edgy reboots it might be interesting to you if not for the story (that's the boat im in but even then the story's rough maybe you had to grow up with it lol). skylanders is a money sink (as interesting as games to life is as a concept why did we let it take off yikes) but i remember being alright with the games and i think they're still remembered fondly. i have a soft spot for hero's tail and enter the dragonfly because those were my introduction to the series, the former is the only one with actual quality but i don't know how others feel about the game but i'll defend it. i can't defend the latter only check it out if you have interest in bad games. there's still more games but they vary in quality, season of ice is my childhood enemy i could never beat the game because of that one damn speedway.
spyro the dragon is one of my favorite video game series of all time, reignited is a good way to experience the original trilogy. the legend of spyro has countless issues but if you're in dark and edgy reboots it might be interesting to you if not for the story (that's the boat im in but even then the story's rough maybe you had to grow up with it lol). skylanders is a money sink (as interesting as games to life is as a concept why did we let it take off yikes) but i remember being alright with the games and i think they're still remembered fondly. i have a soft spot for hero's tail and enter the dragonfly because those were my introduction to the series, the former is the only one with actual quality but i don't know how others feel about the game but i'll defend it. i can't defend the latter only check it out if you have interest in bad games. there's still more games but they vary in quality, season of ice is my childhood enemy i could never beat the game because of that one damn speedway.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
Wings of Fire is one of my all time favorite book series, to the point that I will think about it a year or two after finishing it. I have the Temeraire series, but I never finished book 4, and I would barely consider my time with it as reading (My ADHD and large amounts of words rarely get along). I am considering going back and start over.

Game-wise, Monster Hunter will eternally have a chokehold on me. Not only from a dragon lover POV, but from an artist's POV, this series is just chock full of amazing designs and lore. Also, I feel like I'm the only one North America who's played this, but Battle of Giants: Dragons on the Nintendo DS was the trailblazer for my future obsession with dragons.
Wings of Fire is one of my all time favorite book series, to the point that I will think about it a year or two after finishing it. I have the Temeraire series, but I never finished book 4, and I would barely consider my time with it as reading (My ADHD and large amounts of words rarely get along). I am considering going back and start over.

Game-wise, Monster Hunter will eternally have a chokehold on me. Not only from a dragon lover POV, but from an artist's POV, this series is just chock full of amazing designs and lore. Also, I feel like I'm the only one North America who's played this, but Battle of Giants: Dragons on the Nintendo DS was the trailblazer for my future obsession with dragons.
fced41bdccad1a8c5ef3e9ae0635f4b0a7267717.gif
Gonna show my age here a bit, but even to this day, [i]Dragonheart[/i] might be my favourite dragon movie. It's from '96, and somehow the CGI still holds up. The lighting is off sometimes, but even today, the dragon still looks very good. [img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/efd404b027428d6ffc580893d8bd493c/tumblr_inline_ootgbnfXfY1s1d7uo_500.gif[/img] It's also a wonderful movie. If you haven't seen it, go watch it. If you have, go rewatch it. Good stuff. Also, shoutout to an old game I enjoy, [i]The I of the Dragon[/i]. It's an RPG from '04, and while a bit janky nowadays, still good fun. [img]https://images.gog-statics.com/645e5166213e3de97e49b551198220357e38d66f6a50acfbaf539522fe398f16.jpg[/img] It's one of the few games that actually focuses on playing as a dragon. You get a choice between a fire warrior, an ice mage and a tanky acid necromancer. And all of them play different enough, that, at least for me, the game has good replay value. Finished it with all three at least once. If you want to give it a try, it's currently on sale on GOG for under 2€.
Gonna show my age here a bit, but even to this day, Dragonheart might be my favourite dragon movie. It's from '96, and somehow the CGI still holds up. The lighting is off sometimes, but even today, the dragon still looks very good.
tumblr_inline_ootgbnfXfY1s1d7uo_500.gif
It's also a wonderful movie. If you haven't seen it, go watch it. If you have, go rewatch it. Good stuff.

Also, shoutout to an old game I enjoy, The I of the Dragon. It's an RPG from '04, and while a bit janky nowadays, still good fun.
645e5166213e3de97e49b551198220357e38d66f6a50acfbaf539522fe398f16.jpg
It's one of the few games that actually focuses on playing as a dragon. You get a choice between a fire warrior, an ice mage and a tanky acid necromancer. And all of them play different enough, that, at least for me, the game has good replay value. Finished it with all three at least once. If you want to give it a try, it's currently on sale on GOG for under 2€.
@bulrush i love spyro! i really enjoyed all the spyro games. i was a bigger fan of the second trilogy as a kid, mostly because they were easy enough that i could actually beat them. i was INCREDIBLY bad at platformers, lol

@DragonsOfLegend i love watching vids of Monster Hunter, the designs and stuff are so awesome! the gameplay of the main series isn't my style but i fell in love with the world through Stories.
@bulrush i love spyro! i really enjoyed all the spyro games. i was a bigger fan of the second trilogy as a kid, mostly because they were easy enough that i could actually beat them. i was INCREDIBLY bad at platformers, lol

@DragonsOfLegend i love watching vids of Monster Hunter, the designs and stuff are so awesome! the gameplay of the main series isn't my style but i fell in love with the world through Stories.
s40Jm1o.png
@Xionahri I LOVE dragonheart. My god. I need to go rewatch it immediately.

For any other dragon fans reading this thread, I just remembered . I really recommend the old flash game "How to Raise a Dragon." It's on Flashpoint for free, and has a cool thing where the different things the dragon (which you play as) does as it grows up influence the ways it develops.
@Xionahri I LOVE dragonheart. My god. I need to go rewatch it immediately.

For any other dragon fans reading this thread, I just remembered . I really recommend the old flash game "How to Raise a Dragon." It's on Flashpoint for free, and has a cool thing where the different things the dragon (which you play as) does as it grows up influence the ways it develops.
s40Jm1o.png
there was a pretty heavy chance you already knew about spyro but i kind of just wanted to ramble too >.<
the only other things i could've offered would be children's cartoons (american dragon jake long and jane and the dragon) and the last dragon chronicles (don't remember if i read all the books but its a series about clay dragons that come to life). its been a very long time since i interacted with any of these though but i can't imagine they wouldn't still hold up to some degree, maybe not jane and the dragon though the cgi is more offputting than i remember.
there was a pretty heavy chance you already knew about spyro but i kind of just wanted to ramble too >.<
the only other things i could've offered would be children's cartoons (american dragon jake long and jane and the dragon) and the last dragon chronicles (don't remember if i read all the books but its a series about clay dragons that come to life). its been a very long time since i interacted with any of these though but i can't imagine they wouldn't still hold up to some degree, maybe not jane and the dragon though the cgi is more offputting than i remember.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
1 2 3