Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Heathen Home archives OPEN
1 2 3
Other stories

The beast of Myriah
An original story set in world of many fallible gods and their peoples. One god has been pushed to oblivion, their name evoked only in stories of boogies and selfish prayers of criminals. One of his creations has been saved and protected. This young man in denial of his true identity and oblivious of his god, is the only chance the imprisoned one has.

Ramblings of Myriah, first monologue I

At some point, there comes a time, when a creature wishes to create. Write a book,
paint a mural, pass laws, amass fortune. Make new life. This is true for gods and mortals alike. After our time of exploring and frolicking, we too settled and yearned to create. And one after another, we did.
We were experimenting. We created creatures beyond your wildest dreams.
Magnificent, strange creatures, each more so than the last. From those creatures, only fragments of inspiration remain. Those were chaotic times of child-gods, ones that could not last.
Finally, we began creating a world that would be all of ours and where our creations
could flourish. We all created our children in our likeness, according to our own aspirations and plans.
I created those who are now called the beasts of Myriah. My children were many,
and they were magnificent! They were everywhere and they were strong and cunning. They were just like all the other children of the other gods, different in shapes and sizes, fallible, free, but ultimately just and kind.
Arian created those-who-flee-to-the-shadows. What are they called now – Ah yes!
Darklings, their original names lost to time. Arian created many beautiful things, but he had a – how should I put it – a period of depression. Poor Arian… He loved all of them so. His many peoples, all from the same core, but so vibrant and unique like the colors of the rainbow, succumbed to time. Only the darklings remained to reflect the cold emptiness left in his heart.
Ilhumasios created you humans -- Oh, right. She created humans, a creature that
all other gods looked down upon. There was simply nothing special about them. They could learn and create almost anything, yet nothing better than the other peoples. But they spread. They grew, and survived, and adapted. In the end, they forgot who their god was. Children who abandoned their mother ja ran to the skirts of other gods. I truly feel sorry for Ilhu. She must watch on from the loneliness oblivion, too weak to even take contact, how other gods, her very friends and family, have stolen her creations who they had mocked for eons prior. Her children who were supposed to be the unifiers of all the peoples, became orphaned, estranged, and lonely.
Ilhu wasn’t the most beautiful, most powerful, nor most intelligent of us, but she
was the kindest and most honest of us. Her loss is the one I grieve the most… One that sealed our fate.

Other stories

The beast of Myriah
An original story set in world of many fallible gods and their peoples. One god has been pushed to oblivion, their name evoked only in stories of boogies and selfish prayers of criminals. One of his creations has been saved and protected. This young man in denial of his true identity and oblivious of his god, is the only chance the imprisoned one has.

Ramblings of Myriah, first monologue I

At some point, there comes a time, when a creature wishes to create. Write a book,
paint a mural, pass laws, amass fortune. Make new life. This is true for gods and mortals alike. After our time of exploring and frolicking, we too settled and yearned to create. And one after another, we did.
We were experimenting. We created creatures beyond your wildest dreams.
Magnificent, strange creatures, each more so than the last. From those creatures, only fragments of inspiration remain. Those were chaotic times of child-gods, ones that could not last.
Finally, we began creating a world that would be all of ours and where our creations
could flourish. We all created our children in our likeness, according to our own aspirations and plans.
I created those who are now called the beasts of Myriah. My children were many,
and they were magnificent! They were everywhere and they were strong and cunning. They were just like all the other children of the other gods, different in shapes and sizes, fallible, free, but ultimately just and kind.
Arian created those-who-flee-to-the-shadows. What are they called now – Ah yes!
Darklings, their original names lost to time. Arian created many beautiful things, but he had a – how should I put it – a period of depression. Poor Arian… He loved all of them so. His many peoples, all from the same core, but so vibrant and unique like the colors of the rainbow, succumbed to time. Only the darklings remained to reflect the cold emptiness left in his heart.
Ilhumasios created you humans -- Oh, right. She created humans, a creature that
all other gods looked down upon. There was simply nothing special about them. They could learn and create almost anything, yet nothing better than the other peoples. But they spread. They grew, and survived, and adapted. In the end, they forgot who their god was. Children who abandoned their mother ja ran to the skirts of other gods. I truly feel sorry for Ilhu. She must watch on from the loneliness oblivion, too weak to even take contact, how other gods, her very friends and family, have stolen her creations who they had mocked for eons prior. Her children who were supposed to be the unifiers of all the peoples, became orphaned, estranged, and lonely.
Ilhu wasn’t the most beautiful, most powerful, nor most intelligent of us, but she
was the kindest and most honest of us. Her loss is the one I grieve the most… One that sealed our fate.

rHuw9xa.pngtumblr_inline_oiv572OQAN1rf6w8g_500.png Make A Wish!
Other stories

The beast of Myriah

Ramblings of Myriah, first monologue II

Well, I could list all the gods and all their creations, but that would take too much
time, a resource we have only a finite amount. For the purposes of this story, the most important is Efirtoamus, the beautiful god. Hah! More like the Vain god. He created those-that-sing. What is it now that you call them? Lyre.. Lyra… Lyralis… Oh! Lyraalians! Efirtoamus has always been perfectionist and craves attention. He wanted to create something so beautiful and perfect that the other gods’ creations could never match up. He wanted to shine with his brilliance. He created a people so beautiful and captivating that gods fell in love with them. Not all, but many enough. Because of them the world had to be purged. Because of them I’m here and weak, and my brother in agony in oblivion of our own creation.
However, Efirtoamus was proud. So proud of his creations’ beauty in fact that he
couldn’t destroy them. Instead in his anger he cursed them. He cursed them to be hideous in appearance and only by singing would they temporarily gain back what the curse took from them. He made them hide so that the other gods couldn’t find them. They hid deep into ancient forests and brushwoods, in damp twisting caves below mountains, and in unknown dark waters. The Lyraalians became enraged. They renounced Efirtoamus and swore to sow destruction whenever, wherever, and however they could. They swore that one day they would finish what they had started. I doubt if they will ever be able to follow through on that promise.
This, in turn, further aggravated the other gods. The scant peace that was managed
due to my brother’s sacrifice, seemed to crumble. Fortunately, no more direct conflicts arose with my imprisonment set in place. They now had someone to play custodian over, a common enemy. That was enough to keep them from tearing the world apart. Physically anyway. They became distrusting of each other. Vying for followers and praises, they set their eyes on each others’ creations. Each trying to steal followers from one another to become stronger and secure their backs. Each trying to justify their own actions while demonizing others. Wars broke out in the mortal realm. Unrest, purges, persecution, crusades. Some peoples were assimilated and became nothing more than a quirk in the greater population. Some were hunted to extinction. My creations, my children, were hunted and killed like some sort of demons while all I could do was watch. As evidenced by you and my zealous child, some managed to escape and hide.
This brings us to today. My prison has cracked and my custodians grown tired of
the duty. It gives me more freedom, but I am weak. There are no payers to my name, no monuments, holidays, nor wars waged for me. Not many evoke my name and even fewer, barely anyone in fact, with belief. I want to escape. I want justice. I want true peace. Locked up alone gives one time to think. Fortunately, my vengeful spite has been quenched by time. I no longer wish agony and oblivion to the others, but they do deserve a fair punishment. I wish that you, my lost child, would help me with that.

Author's note

The story, world, and characters of Beast of Myriah are still very vague in my head.
I often have monologues either out loud or in my head in real life. Recently Myriah has been monologuing a lot and I decided to plop it here. These "Ramblings" as I've decided to call them stem from one question asked and lead to lot of tangents. These are not really parts of the story (whenever I get to that...) but are written as if Myriah was monologuing to the still unnamed main character, hence the first person approach. In these the main character is mute and uncontributing but in proper stories, he will have an agenda.
Other stories

The beast of Myriah

Ramblings of Myriah, first monologue II

Well, I could list all the gods and all their creations, but that would take too much
time, a resource we have only a finite amount. For the purposes of this story, the most important is Efirtoamus, the beautiful god. Hah! More like the Vain god. He created those-that-sing. What is it now that you call them? Lyre.. Lyra… Lyralis… Oh! Lyraalians! Efirtoamus has always been perfectionist and craves attention. He wanted to create something so beautiful and perfect that the other gods’ creations could never match up. He wanted to shine with his brilliance. He created a people so beautiful and captivating that gods fell in love with them. Not all, but many enough. Because of them the world had to be purged. Because of them I’m here and weak, and my brother in agony in oblivion of our own creation.
However, Efirtoamus was proud. So proud of his creations’ beauty in fact that he
couldn’t destroy them. Instead in his anger he cursed them. He cursed them to be hideous in appearance and only by singing would they temporarily gain back what the curse took from them. He made them hide so that the other gods couldn’t find them. They hid deep into ancient forests and brushwoods, in damp twisting caves below mountains, and in unknown dark waters. The Lyraalians became enraged. They renounced Efirtoamus and swore to sow destruction whenever, wherever, and however they could. They swore that one day they would finish what they had started. I doubt if they will ever be able to follow through on that promise.
This, in turn, further aggravated the other gods. The scant peace that was managed
due to my brother’s sacrifice, seemed to crumble. Fortunately, no more direct conflicts arose with my imprisonment set in place. They now had someone to play custodian over, a common enemy. That was enough to keep them from tearing the world apart. Physically anyway. They became distrusting of each other. Vying for followers and praises, they set their eyes on each others’ creations. Each trying to steal followers from one another to become stronger and secure their backs. Each trying to justify their own actions while demonizing others. Wars broke out in the mortal realm. Unrest, purges, persecution, crusades. Some peoples were assimilated and became nothing more than a quirk in the greater population. Some were hunted to extinction. My creations, my children, were hunted and killed like some sort of demons while all I could do was watch. As evidenced by you and my zealous child, some managed to escape and hide.
This brings us to today. My prison has cracked and my custodians grown tired of
the duty. It gives me more freedom, but I am weak. There are no payers to my name, no monuments, holidays, nor wars waged for me. Not many evoke my name and even fewer, barely anyone in fact, with belief. I want to escape. I want justice. I want true peace. Locked up alone gives one time to think. Fortunately, my vengeful spite has been quenched by time. I no longer wish agony and oblivion to the others, but they do deserve a fair punishment. I wish that you, my lost child, would help me with that.

Author's note

The story, world, and characters of Beast of Myriah are still very vague in my head.
I often have monologues either out loud or in my head in real life. Recently Myriah has been monologuing a lot and I decided to plop it here. These "Ramblings" as I've decided to call them stem from one question asked and lead to lot of tangents. These are not really parts of the story (whenever I get to that...) but are written as if Myriah was monologuing to the still unnamed main character, hence the first person approach. In these the main character is mute and uncontributing but in proper stories, he will have an agenda.
rHuw9xa.pngtumblr_inline_oiv572OQAN1rf6w8g_500.png Make A Wish!
1 2 3