Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | DYSTÖPE | a private pokemon rp
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
@skiatha

Mila took the offered cactus with a short noise of confusion, watching as Ajax bit into his portion before gingerly pulling off a sliver of the bright red flesh and putting it in her mouth.

Oh, I've had this before! I didn't realise it looked like this. She pulled off another, larger, piece, and made to pop it in her mouth as well when Lin stirred.

Mila? Whassat? Even his voice was slurred with sleep, eyes barely open.

"Food," Mila murmured in reply. "Ajax prepared it." She passed the piece to Lin instead, who bit into it instantly. "Make sure you finish it."

Mmm.. s'good. Thanks… Aja..x… He drifted back off to sleep again, mouth still half full. Mila shook her head at the inelegant display.

Still, it's better than the Quilava. Even in sleep, Lin displayed small spikes of emotion. Nemesis, however, may as well have been an expertly crafted automaton. It was unsettling, made worse by the knowledge that not being able to sense a pokemon's thoughts should have been normal. Barely a few hours, and this new ability seemed almost as natural as breathing.

It can wait until tomorrow. Just like… everything else. She quickly finished the rest of the fruit, before turning to look back at Ajax.

"I suppose we'll talk tomorrow. For now, though do you think keeping watch will be necessary?"
@skiatha

Mila took the offered cactus with a short noise of confusion, watching as Ajax bit into his portion before gingerly pulling off a sliver of the bright red flesh and putting it in her mouth.

Oh, I've had this before! I didn't realise it looked like this. She pulled off another, larger, piece, and made to pop it in her mouth as well when Lin stirred.

Mila? Whassat? Even his voice was slurred with sleep, eyes barely open.

"Food," Mila murmured in reply. "Ajax prepared it." She passed the piece to Lin instead, who bit into it instantly. "Make sure you finish it."

Mmm.. s'good. Thanks… Aja..x… He drifted back off to sleep again, mouth still half full. Mila shook her head at the inelegant display.

Still, it's better than the Quilava. Even in sleep, Lin displayed small spikes of emotion. Nemesis, however, may as well have been an expertly crafted automaton. It was unsettling, made worse by the knowledge that not being able to sense a pokemon's thoughts should have been normal. Barely a few hours, and this new ability seemed almost as natural as breathing.

It can wait until tomorrow. Just like… everything else. She quickly finished the rest of the fruit, before turning to look back at Ajax.

"I suppose we'll talk tomorrow. For now, though do you think keeping watch will be necessary?"
@Ayle

"I don't think a watch will be necessary. We’ll be as safe as we can be, here." Ajax doubted they could fight off all of the Pokémon if they decided to kill them in their sleep tonight, even with 3 of their own Pokémon and 2 guns between them. Still, it may be safer if he kept Nemesis out of her pokeball tonight to keep watch. He looks down at her again, having finished her meal. She sat still, staring directly into the fire. The emptiness and...something missing was putting him on edge, and some part of him wondered if it could ever be gotten back. Did he want her to feel, to have a soul again?

"Nemesis, guard." Ajax watches for her reaction, seeing an ear flick in recognition of the order. I will guard. Nothing more. Any ringer should be proud to have such an obedient Pokémon, but he only felt a hollowing pit within him. Was this the Victini's doing? Some kind of sick retribution for the sins he'd committed all his life?

When sleep finally came, Ajax knew because of the dreams that came with it. It wasn't like the waking visions he saw through the god's eyes, but more so fleeting impressions that he realized were the dreams of the Pokémon around them. There were so many of them, running free in this Sanctuary, full of life and bright hope. A Pikipek, worrying in her dreams if she will have enough berries cached for when her offspring hatch. A Dedenne, dreaming of scurrying through the underbrush in hunt for nuts and a full belly. A Talonflame, seeing the entire valley below in his mind's eye in search of prey as he roosts a few trees away.

Ajax’s mind turned to those of the ones sleeping beside him. Nemesis had eventually fallen asleep, her flames smoldering down to a few flickers, but her dreams were chaotic and disjointed. He saw flashes of past battles, blood splashing on concrete that were both her own and her opponents', the feeling of tendon and sinew under her claws. Ajax unconsciously recoiled, but his mind seemed to be siphoned deeper into hers, drawn to the horrors within. He felt himself look up through her eyes after a kill, floodlights blinding his vision as he stood atop some nameless carcass of another Pokémon, looking towards the figure of himself standing at the end of the stage. But this Ajax was not looking at them, attention instead focused on the cheer of the crowd around them, cheering his name.

The dream shifts, and now there was only pain. He looked down at the freshly implanted claws, which Nemesis had gotten shortly after she had evolved. Blood soaked the bandages, and he felt her thoughts echo in a staccato of it hurts, it hurts, make the hurt go away, tear and rip until it goes away. But she could not reach it through her restraints; pure agony.

“How long until it can fight again?” Ajax’s voice sounds from somewhere near, the voice younger than his own.

“Only 3 days’ time. It won’t be fully healed, but the pain is what’ll keep them going.”

Ajax twists in his sleep, and he’s unsure if he is dreaming or if he’s in Nemesis’ body.

I’m afraid.

She is a Cyndaquil, again. One of her earliest memories, one which replays in her mind night after night. It is dark, and she is alone. There is the smell of blood and steel, sweat and fear all around her. An all-too-loud screeching sound assaults her and she cowers in the corner as the cage door is opened, rough gloved hands reaching in and grabbing her. She is too small and weak to struggle, and an even younger Ajax’s face comes into view. His nose is bloodied and his eyes, red from what look like tears, stare with an unrestrained fury at her that makes her want to curl in on herself.

No! This is some kind of joke, right?”

“Far from it, Ajax. This is your last chance. You will take it or leave it.”

“It’s going to die anyways, father. Look at how pathetic it is. It won’t even last a day in the ring.”

The dealer jostles her, pulling her higher by the scruff of her neck. I want to live! Please, give me a chance. Her pleas go unheard as the man holding her says gruffly, “So what’s it gonna be, lad? Even runts like these ain’t cheap. Would make a good pair of gloves for the Rich instead.”

Ajax sneers, “That would be even more of a waste. Fine. I’ll take it.” As he storms out, the dream slowly fades and Ajax is once again thrown back into his own body. He gasps and finds himself on the forest floor of their camp, early morning sun filtering through the leaves and the smell of grass and dew in the air. The tang of blood and smoke still lingers in his nostrils, however. Ajax’s gaze lands on Nemesis’, and he gives a start when he realizes she is awake and staring directly at him, not even two paces away.

You saw.
@Ayle

"I don't think a watch will be necessary. We’ll be as safe as we can be, here." Ajax doubted they could fight off all of the Pokémon if they decided to kill them in their sleep tonight, even with 3 of their own Pokémon and 2 guns between them. Still, it may be safer if he kept Nemesis out of her pokeball tonight to keep watch. He looks down at her again, having finished her meal. She sat still, staring directly into the fire. The emptiness and...something missing was putting him on edge, and some part of him wondered if it could ever be gotten back. Did he want her to feel, to have a soul again?

"Nemesis, guard." Ajax watches for her reaction, seeing an ear flick in recognition of the order. I will guard. Nothing more. Any ringer should be proud to have such an obedient Pokémon, but he only felt a hollowing pit within him. Was this the Victini's doing? Some kind of sick retribution for the sins he'd committed all his life?

When sleep finally came, Ajax knew because of the dreams that came with it. It wasn't like the waking visions he saw through the god's eyes, but more so fleeting impressions that he realized were the dreams of the Pokémon around them. There were so many of them, running free in this Sanctuary, full of life and bright hope. A Pikipek, worrying in her dreams if she will have enough berries cached for when her offspring hatch. A Dedenne, dreaming of scurrying through the underbrush in hunt for nuts and a full belly. A Talonflame, seeing the entire valley below in his mind's eye in search of prey as he roosts a few trees away.

Ajax’s mind turned to those of the ones sleeping beside him. Nemesis had eventually fallen asleep, her flames smoldering down to a few flickers, but her dreams were chaotic and disjointed. He saw flashes of past battles, blood splashing on concrete that were both her own and her opponents', the feeling of tendon and sinew under her claws. Ajax unconsciously recoiled, but his mind seemed to be siphoned deeper into hers, drawn to the horrors within. He felt himself look up through her eyes after a kill, floodlights blinding his vision as he stood atop some nameless carcass of another Pokémon, looking towards the figure of himself standing at the end of the stage. But this Ajax was not looking at them, attention instead focused on the cheer of the crowd around them, cheering his name.

The dream shifts, and now there was only pain. He looked down at the freshly implanted claws, which Nemesis had gotten shortly after she had evolved. Blood soaked the bandages, and he felt her thoughts echo in a staccato of it hurts, it hurts, make the hurt go away, tear and rip until it goes away. But she could not reach it through her restraints; pure agony.

“How long until it can fight again?” Ajax’s voice sounds from somewhere near, the voice younger than his own.

“Only 3 days’ time. It won’t be fully healed, but the pain is what’ll keep them going.”

Ajax twists in his sleep, and he’s unsure if he is dreaming or if he’s in Nemesis’ body.

I’m afraid.

She is a Cyndaquil, again. One of her earliest memories, one which replays in her mind night after night. It is dark, and she is alone. There is the smell of blood and steel, sweat and fear all around her. An all-too-loud screeching sound assaults her and she cowers in the corner as the cage door is opened, rough gloved hands reaching in and grabbing her. She is too small and weak to struggle, and an even younger Ajax’s face comes into view. His nose is bloodied and his eyes, red from what look like tears, stare with an unrestrained fury at her that makes her want to curl in on herself.

No! This is some kind of joke, right?”

“Far from it, Ajax. This is your last chance. You will take it or leave it.”

“It’s going to die anyways, father. Look at how pathetic it is. It won’t even last a day in the ring.”

The dealer jostles her, pulling her higher by the scruff of her neck. I want to live! Please, give me a chance. Her pleas go unheard as the man holding her says gruffly, “So what’s it gonna be, lad? Even runts like these ain’t cheap. Would make a good pair of gloves for the Rich instead.”

Ajax sneers, “That would be even more of a waste. Fine. I’ll take it.” As he storms out, the dream slowly fades and Ajax is once again thrown back into his own body. He gasps and finds himself on the forest floor of their camp, early morning sun filtering through the leaves and the smell of grass and dew in the air. The tang of blood and smoke still lingers in his nostrils, however. Ajax’s gaze lands on Nemesis’, and he gives a start when he realizes she is awake and staring directly at him, not even two paces away.

You saw.
pdPOUgg.png
@skiatha

The first rays of sunlight had only just started creeping over the canopy when Mila woke. She was halfway to standing before she realised what she was doing, shocked at the unfamiliar sight of foliage and a slowly lightening sky above her head, before the memories of the last day reasserted themselves.

She sank back down to sit and catch her breath - almost on top of Lin, who had also been jolted awake and was now attempting to pick himself up off the floor.

Mila…, he whined, why do we have to get up so early…?

“It wouldn’t do to waste daylight,” she murmured, pushing back the usual desire to close her eyes and fall back asleep. She shook herself and then stood. “Come, we should start getting ready for the day.”

Lin groaned once before following suit. He made to follow, only to abruptly look across the campsite towards Ajax and Nemesis and make a noise of concern. Mila followed his gaze, brow furrowed as she took in the sight - whatever dream Ajax was having, it looked unpleasant.

She was considering walking over and waking him up herself, before he jolted awake with a sharp gasp, locking eyes with Nemesis - and the cold accusation that came from the little Quilava.

Oh. So it can talk.

Mila was content to leave Ajax’s problems for Ajax to deal with, but Lin seemed to have other ideas. Before she could stop him, he had stepped forward, voice nervous, hands raised in a placating posture. I’m sure he didn’t mean to! B-besides, it’s all shared memories… right?
@skiatha

The first rays of sunlight had only just started creeping over the canopy when Mila woke. She was halfway to standing before she realised what she was doing, shocked at the unfamiliar sight of foliage and a slowly lightening sky above her head, before the memories of the last day reasserted themselves.

She sank back down to sit and catch her breath - almost on top of Lin, who had also been jolted awake and was now attempting to pick himself up off the floor.

Mila…, he whined, why do we have to get up so early…?

“It wouldn’t do to waste daylight,” she murmured, pushing back the usual desire to close her eyes and fall back asleep. She shook herself and then stood. “Come, we should start getting ready for the day.”

Lin groaned once before following suit. He made to follow, only to abruptly look across the campsite towards Ajax and Nemesis and make a noise of concern. Mila followed his gaze, brow furrowed as she took in the sight - whatever dream Ajax was having, it looked unpleasant.

She was considering walking over and waking him up herself, before he jolted awake with a sharp gasp, locking eyes with Nemesis - and the cold accusation that came from the little Quilava.

Oh. So it can talk.

Mila was content to leave Ajax’s problems for Ajax to deal with, but Lin seemed to have other ideas. Before she could stop him, he had stepped forward, voice nervous, hands raised in a placating posture. I’m sure he didn’t mean to! B-besides, it’s all shared memories… right?
@Ayle

What the hell was he even supposed to say to that? His hand twitches instinctually, to correct an unwanted behavior in his Pokémon like he'd done for years. But he froze, suddenly met by the weight of Nemesis' pain behind those eyes. It never truly went away, he realized; she just became good at masking it.

Before he could utter a word, Lin appeared at the periphery of his vision. He sees Nem's gaze flicker at the Kirlia, stay away I will hurt you cutting through their minds like a blade, and Ajax knew she meant it. He shoots a warning glance in Lin's direction, slowly getting up to a crouch.

"Nemesis." She looks back at him, and he tries to steady his breathing as much as possible. "I...yes, I saw. I felt what you felt. That was....f*ck, what do I even say to that? I'm a f*cking monster and what I did was unforgiveable." He felt himself unravelling, while Mila and Lin watched from the side. "I put you through hell and back, just for money and glory and my own messed up ego. I don't know how I can fix this or make amends. But for whatever it's worth, I'm...I'm sorry for making you this way."

He felt deflated, laid bare, apologizing to the thing he had spent the last 4 years of his life breaking and molding.

She stared, and it was silent. Then-- You can see now. Nothing more to be said. I cannot be uncreated.
@Ayle

What the hell was he even supposed to say to that? His hand twitches instinctually, to correct an unwanted behavior in his Pokémon like he'd done for years. But he froze, suddenly met by the weight of Nemesis' pain behind those eyes. It never truly went away, he realized; she just became good at masking it.

Before he could utter a word, Lin appeared at the periphery of his vision. He sees Nem's gaze flicker at the Kirlia, stay away I will hurt you cutting through their minds like a blade, and Ajax knew she meant it. He shoots a warning glance in Lin's direction, slowly getting up to a crouch.

"Nemesis." She looks back at him, and he tries to steady his breathing as much as possible. "I...yes, I saw. I felt what you felt. That was....f*ck, what do I even say to that? I'm a f*cking monster and what I did was unforgiveable." He felt himself unravelling, while Mila and Lin watched from the side. "I put you through hell and back, just for money and glory and my own messed up ego. I don't know how I can fix this or make amends. But for whatever it's worth, I'm...I'm sorry for making you this way."

He felt deflated, laid bare, apologizing to the thing he had spent the last 4 years of his life breaking and molding.

She stared, and it was silent. Then-- You can see now. Nothing more to be said. I cannot be uncreated.
pdPOUgg.png
@skiatha

Lin squeaked, a pang of hurt radiating through his mind as he stepped back immediately at Nemesis' rebuttal. Still, though the Quilava's response had been half-expected, Ajax's was not.

Mila slowly released the breath she had been holding. She almost felt guilt for intruding on the uncharacteristic display, especially given it had occurred in front of an audience.

Still, Nemesis' flat assertion gave her pause, mind flashing back to the untold numbers of Pokemon which had been forced to live and die just like her. The Maractus' parting words, I hope you choke on it, echoed in her mind again. She had a feeling that she might, when they made it back to civilisation.

An event which, it seemed, would be happening sooner rather than later. The sound of wingbeats filled the air as the Charizard and Braviary swooped into the clearing, followed closely by a second slightly smaller Braviary.

It is time for you to leave, the Charizard rumbled. We will assist you to the outskirts of the nearest town.
@skiatha

Lin squeaked, a pang of hurt radiating through his mind as he stepped back immediately at Nemesis' rebuttal. Still, though the Quilava's response had been half-expected, Ajax's was not.

Mila slowly released the breath she had been holding. She almost felt guilt for intruding on the uncharacteristic display, especially given it had occurred in front of an audience.

Still, Nemesis' flat assertion gave her pause, mind flashing back to the untold numbers of Pokemon which had been forced to live and die just like her. The Maractus' parting words, I hope you choke on it, echoed in her mind again. She had a feeling that she might, when they made it back to civilisation.

An event which, it seemed, would be happening sooner rather than later. The sound of wingbeats filled the air as the Charizard and Braviary swooped into the clearing, followed closely by a second slightly smaller Braviary.

It is time for you to leave, the Charizard rumbled. We will assist you to the outskirts of the nearest town.
@Ayle

When it was done, Ajax didn't meet Mila's eyes. He wanted to run, push people away, find some corner to be alone like he'd always done at any sign of weakness. He was still crouched, solidly planted to the ground on two feet, yet it felt like his legs had been swept from underneath him. Before anything else could be said, he heard the arrival of the wild Pokémon in their clearing. It was the same Charizard that had escorted them yesterday, along with 2 Braviaries.

Ajax did not quite understand what the Charizard was saying, feeling like he was trying to piece together bits of foreign and familiar languages together, but the meaning behind her message was clear. They were no longer welcome here. He stole a glance at Mila, and she seemed to have understood that as well. The Charizard swung towards him, and he tensed as she towered a few feet above him. Her eyes locked momentarily with Nem's, caution and wariness flowing between them, but the Quilava did not seem to make a move of aggression. For now.

Then, slowly, she lowered herself towards the ground. Ajax gave a start. "You're letting me...ride you?"

The Charizard snorted, and he understood that better. Either this way or you can walk. He recalls Nemesis and collects his pack, trying not to swallow audibly. The only Pokémon he'd ever ridden was a Dodrio during an illegal street race, and it hadn't exactly been a willing mount. Still, he clambers up the side of her back with as much grace as he could muster, feeling her body tense and muscles ripple under him. 

She only casts a sideways glance back at him to make sure he’s settled before crouching, then launching herself into the air with a powerful stroke of her wings. Ajax’s stomach lurches and he’s secretly glad he hadn’t eaten any breakfast yet as they clear the canopy. His hands grip the sides of her neck for purchase, hoping she didn’t find it uncomfortable enough to decide to unseat him. As the ground drops alarmingly fast below them, Ajax steals a look behind him to see Mila and Sinclair rising into view on the Braviaries. He hoped they knew where they were going. It would be a shame if they dropped them off back into the middle of nowhere and they ended up dying in the desert anyways, after all that had happened. 

Below, a familiar scene. Ajax realizes he’d seen this, somewhere, through the eyes of one of the Pokémon he dreamed about. The Sanctuary’s forest sprawls for miles in every direction, and far in the south he could see the shimmering veil which curtained it off from the desert beyond. They bank north, cutting through the Sanctuary. 

As the flight continues its course, Ajax feels himself untensing. This was….almost nice. Perhaps even better than riding on his hoverbike. An idea occurs to him, unbidden and possibly absurd--perhaps he could convince this Charizard to join them. There was little aside from a plasma cannon that could bring down a full-grown Charizard, and they were highly prized in the rings. Worth a shot. Ajax clears his throat.

“Would you….like to come with us? Could use your firepower in what’s coming.” The Pokémon doesn't respond at first, and he wonders if it didn't hear him over the wind. Suddenly, the sky pitches upside-down, and Ajax can barely let out a gasp of surprise before he is sent plummeting over the side of the Charizard's back. 

"What the--AAAAAH!" He screams, hands grabbing for a hold but only meeting empty air as he falls. He tries to see where the Charizard went, where Mila and the others are, but everything is spinning too fast. He is still screaming when two clawed hands hook themselves under his arms, abruptly breaking his fall. He looks up, meeting the eyes of the Charizard--and she is laughing, her scarred snout contorted into a savage snarl.

"F*CK YOU!" Ajax yells, even though it was probably far from the best idea while in his position. The Charizard hovers in place, bringing her head down to stare defiantly at his form.

I will never be owned again, human.
@Ayle

When it was done, Ajax didn't meet Mila's eyes. He wanted to run, push people away, find some corner to be alone like he'd always done at any sign of weakness. He was still crouched, solidly planted to the ground on two feet, yet it felt like his legs had been swept from underneath him. Before anything else could be said, he heard the arrival of the wild Pokémon in their clearing. It was the same Charizard that had escorted them yesterday, along with 2 Braviaries.

Ajax did not quite understand what the Charizard was saying, feeling like he was trying to piece together bits of foreign and familiar languages together, but the meaning behind her message was clear. They were no longer welcome here. He stole a glance at Mila, and she seemed to have understood that as well. The Charizard swung towards him, and he tensed as she towered a few feet above him. Her eyes locked momentarily with Nem's, caution and wariness flowing between them, but the Quilava did not seem to make a move of aggression. For now.

Then, slowly, she lowered herself towards the ground. Ajax gave a start. "You're letting me...ride you?"

The Charizard snorted, and he understood that better. Either this way or you can walk. He recalls Nemesis and collects his pack, trying not to swallow audibly. The only Pokémon he'd ever ridden was a Dodrio during an illegal street race, and it hadn't exactly been a willing mount. Still, he clambers up the side of her back with as much grace as he could muster, feeling her body tense and muscles ripple under him. 

She only casts a sideways glance back at him to make sure he’s settled before crouching, then launching herself into the air with a powerful stroke of her wings. Ajax’s stomach lurches and he’s secretly glad he hadn’t eaten any breakfast yet as they clear the canopy. His hands grip the sides of her neck for purchase, hoping she didn’t find it uncomfortable enough to decide to unseat him. As the ground drops alarmingly fast below them, Ajax steals a look behind him to see Mila and Sinclair rising into view on the Braviaries. He hoped they knew where they were going. It would be a shame if they dropped them off back into the middle of nowhere and they ended up dying in the desert anyways, after all that had happened. 

Below, a familiar scene. Ajax realizes he’d seen this, somewhere, through the eyes of one of the Pokémon he dreamed about. The Sanctuary’s forest sprawls for miles in every direction, and far in the south he could see the shimmering veil which curtained it off from the desert beyond. They bank north, cutting through the Sanctuary. 

As the flight continues its course, Ajax feels himself untensing. This was….almost nice. Perhaps even better than riding on his hoverbike. An idea occurs to him, unbidden and possibly absurd--perhaps he could convince this Charizard to join them. There was little aside from a plasma cannon that could bring down a full-grown Charizard, and they were highly prized in the rings. Worth a shot. Ajax clears his throat.

“Would you….like to come with us? Could use your firepower in what’s coming.” The Pokémon doesn't respond at first, and he wonders if it didn't hear him over the wind. Suddenly, the sky pitches upside-down, and Ajax can barely let out a gasp of surprise before he is sent plummeting over the side of the Charizard's back. 

"What the--AAAAAH!" He screams, hands grabbing for a hold but only meeting empty air as he falls. He tries to see where the Charizard went, where Mila and the others are, but everything is spinning too fast. He is still screaming when two clawed hands hook themselves under his arms, abruptly breaking his fall. He looks up, meeting the eyes of the Charizard--and she is laughing, her scarred snout contorted into a savage snarl.

"F*CK YOU!" Ajax yells, even though it was probably far from the best idea while in his position. The Charizard hovers in place, bringing her head down to stare defiantly at his form.

I will never be owned again, human.
pdPOUgg.png
@skiatha

Mila swallowed, looking back up at the Charizard. In the corner of her vision she could see Ajax similarly measuring up the Pokemon. It was rather obvious what they were here to do, but...

"Wait, please," she said, just as the Charizard turned away. "Octavian - the Braixen - I still don't know where he is. I need to find him."

He is going to stay, came the reply, from a Braviary which had stalked up to her. We will care for him.

The Braviary leaned down in expectation, exposing the broad expanse of his back for Mila to climb onto. A clear sign that the conversation was over, and get on with it

The indignity of it all almost made Mila snap back a response. She was about to open her mouth when Lin quietly chimed in. Mila... it's what he wants. He was always, so angry, a-and hurt, but it's different now.

Lin's hands were so small, but his grip was firm. I can feel it. He really wants this. He's not wanted anything for such a long time.

Mila was silent for a moment more before speaking. "I see," she sighed, before fixing the Braviary with a stern look as the Charizard took off, Ajax astride her back. "I would have preferred if he'd told me himself, but... you'll take care of him?"

We will. The Braviary shook his head, impatient. Now will you get on? They're leaving us behind.

Mila nodded stiffly, trying to think back to the last time she had ridden a Pokemon - that had been with saddles, and a rein. She wasn't entirely sure how to even mount this Braviary. Thankfully, Lin understood her hesitation, emotions flickering with amusement as he Teleported them up to sit comfortably on the Braviary's back. He shifted their weight, before launching into the air, soaring in pursuit of the Charizard.

=======

The ride was oddly soothing. The Braviary flew smoothly enough that Mila was able to nibble on some of the reserved fruit for breakfast without feeling too nauseous. She gave some to Lin as well, however he seemed far more interested in chattering endlessly about whatever caught his interest, seeming to relish in the knowledge that Mila was listening. His anxiety from the night before seemed to have faded, swept away by his excitement to have a conversation partner - and Mila found herself enjoying it significantly as well.

The peace was abruptly broken by Ajax's sudden yell, and Mila looked up to watch in horror as he plummeted to the ground, having been tossed off the Charizard's back. "Ajax?!"

The Charizard caught him, of course. Even from a distance Mila could feel it - it held no malice toward him, although there was an edge of anger that not even its amusement could entirely mask, as Ajax started yelling profanities. "Gods, what did he do?"

He asked her to come with us, Lin whispered. She didn't like that much.

Well, of course not, Mila almost replied. She was a wild Charizard. Their motley group had nothing to offer her. However, she thought about the scars that lined the Pokemon's body, and at her roared response, murmured, "She was trained, wasn't she."

That's what they say. Sanse's been protecting the oasis a long time, but word is she escaped from a trainer before she came to us. The Braviary shook its head, crest feathers fluttering. She doesn't talk about it much, though.

"A trained Pokemon, and she's laughing," Mila said, feeling hope coil in her chest. "There might still be a chance to fix this mess, for the Pokemon who are still in the cities. It would be an unprecedented change, but I want to see it. I will."

Hmm. Well, good luck. You've caught the eye of our God and received His blessing, so I hope you put this gift to decent use. The Braviary clicked his beak as the faint impression of a ramshackle town appeared out of the dust and sand. For now, we're almost to our destination. Hold on tight, we'll be landing soon.
@skiatha

Mila swallowed, looking back up at the Charizard. In the corner of her vision she could see Ajax similarly measuring up the Pokemon. It was rather obvious what they were here to do, but...

"Wait, please," she said, just as the Charizard turned away. "Octavian - the Braixen - I still don't know where he is. I need to find him."

He is going to stay, came the reply, from a Braviary which had stalked up to her. We will care for him.

The Braviary leaned down in expectation, exposing the broad expanse of his back for Mila to climb onto. A clear sign that the conversation was over, and get on with it

The indignity of it all almost made Mila snap back a response. She was about to open her mouth when Lin quietly chimed in. Mila... it's what he wants. He was always, so angry, a-and hurt, but it's different now.

Lin's hands were so small, but his grip was firm. I can feel it. He really wants this. He's not wanted anything for such a long time.

Mila was silent for a moment more before speaking. "I see," she sighed, before fixing the Braviary with a stern look as the Charizard took off, Ajax astride her back. "I would have preferred if he'd told me himself, but... you'll take care of him?"

We will. The Braviary shook his head, impatient. Now will you get on? They're leaving us behind.

Mila nodded stiffly, trying to think back to the last time she had ridden a Pokemon - that had been with saddles, and a rein. She wasn't entirely sure how to even mount this Braviary. Thankfully, Lin understood her hesitation, emotions flickering with amusement as he Teleported them up to sit comfortably on the Braviary's back. He shifted their weight, before launching into the air, soaring in pursuit of the Charizard.

=======

The ride was oddly soothing. The Braviary flew smoothly enough that Mila was able to nibble on some of the reserved fruit for breakfast without feeling too nauseous. She gave some to Lin as well, however he seemed far more interested in chattering endlessly about whatever caught his interest, seeming to relish in the knowledge that Mila was listening. His anxiety from the night before seemed to have faded, swept away by his excitement to have a conversation partner - and Mila found herself enjoying it significantly as well.

The peace was abruptly broken by Ajax's sudden yell, and Mila looked up to watch in horror as he plummeted to the ground, having been tossed off the Charizard's back. "Ajax?!"

The Charizard caught him, of course. Even from a distance Mila could feel it - it held no malice toward him, although there was an edge of anger that not even its amusement could entirely mask, as Ajax started yelling profanities. "Gods, what did he do?"

He asked her to come with us, Lin whispered. She didn't like that much.

Well, of course not, Mila almost replied. She was a wild Charizard. Their motley group had nothing to offer her. However, she thought about the scars that lined the Pokemon's body, and at her roared response, murmured, "She was trained, wasn't she."

That's what they say. Sanse's been protecting the oasis a long time, but word is she escaped from a trainer before she came to us. The Braviary shook its head, crest feathers fluttering. She doesn't talk about it much, though.

"A trained Pokemon, and she's laughing," Mila said, feeling hope coil in her chest. "There might still be a chance to fix this mess, for the Pokemon who are still in the cities. It would be an unprecedented change, but I want to see it. I will."

Hmm. Well, good luck. You've caught the eye of our God and received His blessing, so I hope you put this gift to decent use. The Braviary clicked his beak as the faint impression of a ramshackle town appeared out of the dust and sand. For now, we're almost to our destination. Hold on tight, we'll be landing soon.
@Ayle

"Okay okay I get it, I didn't mean to--ow!" He yelps as the Charizard's clawed grip tightens around his armpits, but only momentarily as she readjusts her hold on him and flips him like a ragdoll through the air onto her back. He sees stars as his groin smacks against her spine, the thought of I'm definitely going to feel that later shooting through his mind as he winces. He keeps his lips sealed tight for the remainder of the flight, silently smoldering. But he can't help but notice the multitude of scars along the Charizard's body, some darkened and rough, others small and silver. He'd been so accustomed to seeing fighting Pokémon bearing the evidence of their past battles that he hadn't given those on her much thought.

Looking closer, though, Ajax knew what some of them meant--because he'd inflicted similar ones on countless others. The more raised, weathered cuts were those from a training whip, an implement used in earlier stages of training to make young Pokémon more malleable. The faint outline along her neck was from that of a control collar, which would apply a corrective Type-averse shock to a Pokémon if it misbehaved or displeased their trainer. His fingers accidentally brushed against the border of it as the Charizard began to dip into a descent, eliciting an unconscious tremor through her.

"I'm sorry." he murmured, quickly moving his hand away, but he wasn't sure if he was apologizing for the touch or what she had gone through in her past.

They land, sending out a cloud of yellow dust around them. He more than happily slides off, stretching his aching legs and looking around. As the others land, he catches sight of a collection of structures in the far distance, at least 5 miles away, shimmering above the sand.

This is where we leave you. The Charizard rises back onto her hindquarters,
shaking herself off. She narrows her eyes and sends a jet of steam in the direction of the structures, lip curling with unrestrained disgust. Human town west.

Without further comment (or at least from what Ajax could tell), she turns and departs with the other flying types. He covers his eyes as they send another billow of sand and dust in their wake, disappearing back into the blue. 

After they leave, he turns to Mila, trying to rally his own bruised ego, "I hope your ride was smoother than mine?"
@Ayle

"Okay okay I get it, I didn't mean to--ow!" He yelps as the Charizard's clawed grip tightens around his armpits, but only momentarily as she readjusts her hold on him and flips him like a ragdoll through the air onto her back. He sees stars as his groin smacks against her spine, the thought of I'm definitely going to feel that later shooting through his mind as he winces. He keeps his lips sealed tight for the remainder of the flight, silently smoldering. But he can't help but notice the multitude of scars along the Charizard's body, some darkened and rough, others small and silver. He'd been so accustomed to seeing fighting Pokémon bearing the evidence of their past battles that he hadn't given those on her much thought.

Looking closer, though, Ajax knew what some of them meant--because he'd inflicted similar ones on countless others. The more raised, weathered cuts were those from a training whip, an implement used in earlier stages of training to make young Pokémon more malleable. The faint outline along her neck was from that of a control collar, which would apply a corrective Type-averse shock to a Pokémon if it misbehaved or displeased their trainer. His fingers accidentally brushed against the border of it as the Charizard began to dip into a descent, eliciting an unconscious tremor through her.

"I'm sorry." he murmured, quickly moving his hand away, but he wasn't sure if he was apologizing for the touch or what she had gone through in her past.

They land, sending out a cloud of yellow dust around them. He more than happily slides off, stretching his aching legs and looking around. As the others land, he catches sight of a collection of structures in the far distance, at least 5 miles away, shimmering above the sand.

This is where we leave you. The Charizard rises back onto her hindquarters,
shaking herself off. She narrows her eyes and sends a jet of steam in the direction of the structures, lip curling with unrestrained disgust. Human town west.

Without further comment (or at least from what Ajax could tell), she turns and departs with the other flying types. He covers his eyes as they send another billow of sand and dust in their wake, disappearing back into the blue. 

After they leave, he turns to Mila, trying to rally his own bruised ego, "I hope your ride was smoother than mine?"
pdPOUgg.png
@skiatha

They land without issue. Mila slides off the Braviary's back followed closely by Lin, heart sinking as she looks at the buildings still far in the distance.

"Thank you," she says regardless, head inclined in a polite nod. Lin bows properly, although his eyes glitter with mischief when embarrassment sparked through the Braviary.

He turned away as the Charizard addressed them, indicating the town in the distance. There's a human town to the west, she says, distaste colouring her tone. You should be able to find what you need there.

She lifted off quickly at that, followed closely by the others, leaving Mila blinking away the cloud of dust and sand that is kicked up.

"I hope your ride was smoother than mine?"

Mila smiled as Lin stifled a giggle. "Yes, it was quite pleasant. Kikuri wasn't much of a conversationalist, but that was minor. This one more than made up for it and, of course, I was able to spend the ride on his back rather than grasped between his claws."

You weren't unhappy when I was talking! Lin interjected, pouting.

"True," Mila murmured, her smile softening by a bare fraction. She cleared her throat before looking back to Ajax.

"Well, we should start walking, as I would like to get to the town and out of this heat sooner rather than later. In the meantime, would you be able to tell me about what that Victini told you?"
@skiatha

They land without issue. Mila slides off the Braviary's back followed closely by Lin, heart sinking as she looks at the buildings still far in the distance.

"Thank you," she says regardless, head inclined in a polite nod. Lin bows properly, although his eyes glitter with mischief when embarrassment sparked through the Braviary.

He turned away as the Charizard addressed them, indicating the town in the distance. There's a human town to the west, she says, distaste colouring her tone. You should be able to find what you need there.

She lifted off quickly at that, followed closely by the others, leaving Mila blinking away the cloud of dust and sand that is kicked up.

"I hope your ride was smoother than mine?"

Mila smiled as Lin stifled a giggle. "Yes, it was quite pleasant. Kikuri wasn't much of a conversationalist, but that was minor. This one more than made up for it and, of course, I was able to spend the ride on his back rather than grasped between his claws."

You weren't unhappy when I was talking! Lin interjected, pouting.

"True," Mila murmured, her smile softening by a bare fraction. She cleared her throat before looking back to Ajax.

"Well, we should start walking, as I would like to get to the town and out of this heat sooner rather than later. In the meantime, would you be able to tell me about what that Victini told you?"
@Ayle

Ajax fought to quell the look of surprise at Mila’s words. They gave themselves names? They can hold conversations?? Guess his ride turned out even more rough than he thought. Or perhaps the Charizard just wasn’t as good at talking. He ignored the ending jibe, looking between Mila and Lin at their brief exchange. The Kirlia did appear a lot more animated than before they entered the Sanctuary, though he wasn’t sure if it was because he had dropped the facade or because of whatever the Victini had done to them. Speaking of which—

“It’s hard to explain. The Victini didn’t exactly…speak to me.” They start walking, beginning the trek to the town that Ajax hoped was Buffalo Springs, “It showed me visions, of what happened before the Cleansing. It’s all so much bigger than we could have imagined, Mila.”

He swallows, focusing on the dry, cracked ground beneath their footsteps. “The gods, all of them, they were fighting. And I saw something—I think it was a Pokémon, but nothing like I’ve ever seen or heard of—it was as if it had turned them all against each other. And then turned them against us.” Ajax tries to recall what it had looked like, the feeling of wrongness that had surrounded it like the armored shell it wore.

“I know I sound crazy, hell I think I am going crazy, but you were right. Somehow the government was behind this since the beginning.” He turns his eyes to Mila to gauge her reaction, drawing an unsteady breath.

“And somehow, I think the key to us stopping them lies in The Underground and the Elite Four.”
@Ayle

Ajax fought to quell the look of surprise at Mila’s words. They gave themselves names? They can hold conversations?? Guess his ride turned out even more rough than he thought. Or perhaps the Charizard just wasn’t as good at talking. He ignored the ending jibe, looking between Mila and Lin at their brief exchange. The Kirlia did appear a lot more animated than before they entered the Sanctuary, though he wasn’t sure if it was because he had dropped the facade or because of whatever the Victini had done to them. Speaking of which—

“It’s hard to explain. The Victini didn’t exactly…speak to me.” They start walking, beginning the trek to the town that Ajax hoped was Buffalo Springs, “It showed me visions, of what happened before the Cleansing. It’s all so much bigger than we could have imagined, Mila.”

He swallows, focusing on the dry, cracked ground beneath their footsteps. “The gods, all of them, they were fighting. And I saw something—I think it was a Pokémon, but nothing like I’ve ever seen or heard of—it was as if it had turned them all against each other. And then turned them against us.” Ajax tries to recall what it had looked like, the feeling of wrongness that had surrounded it like the armored shell it wore.

“I know I sound crazy, hell I think I am going crazy, but you were right. Somehow the government was behind this since the beginning.” He turns his eyes to Mila to gauge her reaction, drawing an unsteady breath.

“And somehow, I think the key to us stopping them lies in The Underground and the Elite Four.”
pdPOUgg.png
1 2 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39