Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | cool tech stuff, come be a dork with me
sorry reading textbook some info i just wanna share.

like did you know there is research being done with 3d printer technology that aims to be able to build like human body parts with cells??? like they are literally finding a way to PRINT human cells to make parts of the body for what may be missing for many reasons. ISN'T THAT COOL???

(this has nothing to do with dragons I just prefer discussing on these forums than social media lol)
sorry reading textbook some info i just wanna share.

like did you know there is research being done with 3d printer technology that aims to be able to build like human body parts with cells??? like they are literally finding a way to PRINT human cells to make parts of the body for what may be missing for many reasons. ISN'T THAT COOL???

(this has nothing to do with dragons I just prefer discussing on these forums than social media lol)

nvlVFtD.png

r2QANTY.png
ok so like the way it works. 3D printers usually use some kind of metal or plastic type of material to create whatver its doing right? well what they are trying to get it to do is find a way to have it use actual human cells that can coherently form a part
ok so like the way it works. 3D printers usually use some kind of metal or plastic type of material to create whatver its doing right? well what they are trying to get it to do is find a way to have it use actual human cells that can coherently form a part

nvlVFtD.png

r2QANTY.png
i wonder if they can do it in a way that lessens the risk of organ rejection
i wonder if they can do it in a way that lessens the risk of organ rejection

NN9NPXA.png
P9aWhak.png
OxagJgG.png
WKtl2lb.png
haxorus.gif

t3kr0g.png
If they printed a muscle, would that meat be vegan?

EDIT apparently this is already a thing, and it IS considered vegan since no animals were harmed. (cells were lab-grown)

EDIT apparently this is already a thing, and it IS considered vegan since no animals were harmed. (cells were lab-grown)
deity_gladekeeper_by_dogi_crimson-dabusrb.gif
It's been a thing for a while now and it's pretty interesting. I wonder what will become viable first, 3D-printed organs or human-pig hybrid organs. Or was it sheep? I forgot.

It's been a thing for a while now and it's pretty interesting. I wonder what will become viable first, 3D-printed organs or human-pig hybrid organs. Or was it sheep? I forgot.

Science is wild, man.

The closest I've seen was about a 3d printed plant fiber steak (at least I heard it was plant fiber). I do also know there's tissue patches someone might get if they get a really bad burn, but I have a feeling it might take a while to get working 3d printed organs and stuff. Then again, who knows what might happen in the next some decades? The first plane was made in 1903 and the first space shuttle was launched in 1957. That's, what, 54 years apart? Let it sink in...
Science is wild, man.

The closest I've seen was about a 3d printed plant fiber steak (at least I heard it was plant fiber). I do also know there's tissue patches someone might get if they get a really bad burn, but I have a feeling it might take a while to get working 3d printed organs and stuff. Then again, who knows what might happen in the next some decades? The first plane was made in 1903 and the first space shuttle was launched in 1957. That's, what, 54 years apart? Let it sink in...
Clara the Blaziken, She/Her, 2+ Fr time, Professional Idiot :))))
[quote name="JessieFace" date="2024-02-27 17:28:06" ] If they printed a muscle, would that meat be vegan? EDIT apparently this is already a thing, and it IS considered vegan since no animals were harmed. (cells were lab-grown) [/quote] Currently, lab-grown beef comes from cells harvested from embryonic cows or from the blood of slaughtered adult cows. Both processes are fairly grisly and always fatal. Arguably it's an improvement as only a relatively few cows are harmed to produce many cows' worth of beef, rather than the 1:1 ratio of dead cows to cow meat in traditional methods. It's definitely not consistent with veganism, however.
JessieFace wrote on 2024-02-27 17:28:06:

Currently, lab-grown beef comes from cells harvested from embryonic cows or from the blood of slaughtered adult cows. Both processes are fairly grisly and always fatal. Arguably it's an improvement as only a relatively few cows are harmed to produce many cows' worth of beef, rather than the 1:1 ratio of dead cows to cow meat in traditional methods. It's definitely not consistent with veganism, however.
hey guys is this tik tok
Yep, I've heard of that before!

Though, I'm wondering if things would ever get to a point where they could 3d print anything that's actually living, like an animal? Nothing too big, but I think this sort of technology could do a lot of things.
Yep, I've heard of that before!

Though, I'm wondering if things would ever get to a point where they could 3d print anything that's actually living, like an animal? Nothing too big, but I think this sort of technology could do a lot of things.
rsz-2img-1151.png
Yes, I've heard of this before as well.

It's a wonder what they can do, I heard they actually created a heart once, I don't remember the outcome of that project, but it was an actual beating heart.
Yes, I've heard of this before as well.

It's a wonder what they can do, I heard they actually created a heart once, I don't remember the outcome of that project, but it was an actual beating heart.
emVSLIq.png
I have my own website for things I've made!
SquishyPanda
It's less gross than growing human ears on lab rats...those pics creeped me out lol. Hopefully the tech they settle on is humane.
It's less gross than growing human ears on lab rats...those pics creeped me out lol. Hopefully the tech they settle on is humane.
nymph.pngsand.png
Check out my gamedev,
art portfolio and personal blog!
@ https://blessfrey.me/
abbey.pnghavelock.png