Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Rules & Policies Updates Clarification?
1 2
So, I'm a little confused (or maybe just stupid and it's going right over my head). The update says:
Quote:
As of the time of this post, we are expanding “no religious imagery” to be applied site-wide. When we say religious imagery, we specifically mean images and icons internationally recognized as or registered symbols of organized religions.

This also includes images depicting desecration, deconstruction, or political speech towards organized religions.

Themes that have been adopted into sci-fi or fantasy media (such as alchemy, wizardry, celestial, or abyssal themes, etc) do not fall under this definition at this time.

Example:

Feathered wings and halos = OKAY
Named angels or saints = NOT OKAY

Does this mean it ONLY applies to images like art and skins as it seems to imply in the first paragraph, or does this impact dragon names too (the example segment)? Because I have a whole handful of dragons with names of angels/demons/celestial entities etc from across multiple cultures (which are also part of fantasy media in some cases) and I'd rather not change them as that'd ruin my whole vibe lol, but yknow. Don't wanna get banned.
So, I'm a little confused (or maybe just stupid and it's going right over my head). The update says:
Quote:
As of the time of this post, we are expanding “no religious imagery” to be applied site-wide. When we say religious imagery, we specifically mean images and icons internationally recognized as or registered symbols of organized religions.

This also includes images depicting desecration, deconstruction, or political speech towards organized religions.

Themes that have been adopted into sci-fi or fantasy media (such as alchemy, wizardry, celestial, or abyssal themes, etc) do not fall under this definition at this time.

Example:

Feathered wings and halos = OKAY
Named angels or saints = NOT OKAY

Does this mean it ONLY applies to images like art and skins as it seems to imply in the first paragraph, or does this impact dragon names too (the example segment)? Because I have a whole handful of dragons with names of angels/demons/celestial entities etc from across multiple cultures (which are also part of fantasy media in some cases) and I'd rather not change them as that'd ruin my whole vibe lol, but yknow. Don't wanna get banned.
NSZvCod.png
y0rbHJY.png
bYt72YT.png
AQPJNOh.png
D9xaprH.png
ZCtHkwl.png
NAh145F.png LuMKHMO.pngG8Qs5W9.gif8XSywhD.gifH0bF1BC.gifnxaQasR.png
4cdc2a9735636bd168eb917575eef8170b393f80.png
I was coming here to ask exactly that. There is some worry in my friend group over the same thing.
I'm under the assumption that it is meaning not to post images or themes depicting specific angels and saints that are named/largely known, but nobody is really sure.

So we were hoping for some clarification as well, just to be safe.

Edit: I did go ahead and submit a help ticket and linked this thread, in case they wanted to make an open response, so hopefully we'll hear back soon.
I was coming here to ask exactly that. There is some worry in my friend group over the same thing.
I'm under the assumption that it is meaning not to post images or themes depicting specific angels and saints that are named/largely known, but nobody is really sure.

So we were hoping for some clarification as well, just to be safe.

Edit: I did go ahead and submit a help ticket and linked this thread, in case they wanted to make an open response, so hopefully we'll hear back soon.
@Lovelock @Maara28 As a heads-up, for policy clarification from the devs directly, it's usually better to go through Contact Us— the devs very occasionally come to the Help Center, but there's no guarantee, and regular users can't do much to help you. So, as a disclaimer: I am a regular user, I can only read the devs' word. First of all, you won't get banned over this: [quote][b]The first time Support removes the images, your account will not be actioned under our Rules & Policies.[/b] You will receive a private message notifying you of the removal and education of our policies. Continued posting of these images after Support confirms that the private educational message was received by you will lead to account penalties/actions.[/quote] If you made a mistake, you'll just be told; we're all new to this policy. I suspect I know how to answer your questions, but I also don't want to say something definite in case I'm wrong! I just want to remind you that if you don't get an answer here to try Contact Us, and to reassure you that your accounts won't get insta-banned for not magically understanding the new policy.
@Lovelock @Maara28

As a heads-up, for policy clarification from the devs directly, it's usually better to go through Contact Us— the devs very occasionally come to the Help Center, but there's no guarantee, and regular users can't do much to help you.

So, as a disclaimer: I am a regular user, I can only read the devs' word.

First of all, you won't get banned over this:
Quote:
The first time Support removes the images, your account will not be actioned under our Rules & Policies. You will receive a private message notifying you of the removal and education of our policies. Continued posting of these images after Support confirms that the private educational message was received by you will lead to account penalties/actions.

If you made a mistake, you'll just be told; we're all new to this policy.

I suspect I know how to answer your questions, but I also don't want to say something definite in case I'm wrong! I just want to remind you that if you don't get an answer here to try Contact Us, and to reassure you that your accounts won't get insta-banned for not magically understanding the new policy.
@Mothscale

Oh, ty! I’ll try that!
@Mothscale

Oh, ty! I’ll try that!
NSZvCod.png
y0rbHJY.png
bYt72YT.png
AQPJNOh.png
D9xaprH.png
ZCtHkwl.png
NAh145F.png LuMKHMO.pngG8Qs5W9.gif8XSywhD.gifH0bF1BC.gifnxaQasR.png
4cdc2a9735636bd168eb917575eef8170b393f80.png
Of course this is also speculation, but I think the salient part of the update is actually this: [quote]When we say religious imagery, we specifically mean images and icons internationally recognized as or registered symbols of organized religions.[/quote] I think they're talking about cross/crucifix, Magen David, the Islamic star and crescent, as well as known paintings of saints or other figures, etc -- having an Asmodeus or Gabriel or Anubis dragon is probably fine, etc. as long as it's clearly a fantasy lore bio -- otherwise anyone with an Ancient Egypt lair theme is going to get completely destroyed. Having a Catholic Saint dragon whose lore is just the Catholic saint lore and has a full on famous art picture in it is probably not okay. Also possibly wasn't okay previously?
Of course this is also speculation, but I think the salient part of the update is actually this:
Quote:
When we say religious imagery, we specifically mean images and icons internationally recognized as or registered symbols of organized religions.

I think they're talking about cross/crucifix, Magen David, the Islamic star and crescent, as well as known paintings of saints or other figures, etc -- having an Asmodeus or Gabriel or Anubis dragon is probably fine, etc. as long as it's clearly a fantasy lore bio -- otherwise anyone with an Ancient Egypt lair theme is going to get completely destroyed. Having a Catholic Saint dragon whose lore is just the Catholic saint lore and has a full on famous art picture in it is probably not okay. Also possibly wasn't okay previously?

alyblaith / aly
NatDom org team

===========
• they/her
• queer
• neurodivergent
===========
trade adopts
===========
== Ink wash brush-style art of three red and gold Wildclaws performing a dragon dance with a green Auraboa puppet, with text for Nature's Year of the Wood Dragon push.
I was wondering this as well - I have a few dragons that are named after angels or other religious figures, but the update also specifies that it's referring to images. The names in question were picked just because I liked 'em, so there isn't anything in their biographies that is otherwise religious in nature - and while I do plan to write lore for my dragons eventually, it is all going to be fantastical in nature and not inspired by / referential to their namesakes.

A few could also be handwaved away as 'normal human names' like Gabriel or Ariel. Others, like Sariel or Surya, definitely aren't normal names that you'd encounter - at least not in the USA.

If anyone gets an answer, please let us know? I was considering submitting a ticket to ask exactly this, but I also don't want to flood the staff with the same question if others are already submitting it.
I was wondering this as well - I have a few dragons that are named after angels or other religious figures, but the update also specifies that it's referring to images. The names in question were picked just because I liked 'em, so there isn't anything in their biographies that is otherwise religious in nature - and while I do plan to write lore for my dragons eventually, it is all going to be fantastical in nature and not inspired by / referential to their namesakes.

A few could also be handwaved away as 'normal human names' like Gabriel or Ariel. Others, like Sariel or Surya, definitely aren't normal names that you'd encounter - at least not in the USA.

If anyone gets an answer, please let us know? I was considering submitting a ticket to ask exactly this, but I also don't want to flood the staff with the same question if others are already submitting it.
SFixrnH.pngIeBhKII.png Tf2WhDq.pngnJ9aapY.png
I feel like there’s gonna be at least a small handful of cases of confusion about SPN or Good Omens fan dragons on the horizon. Hopefully rule enforcing staff are up to date on their fandoms, heheh. [emoji=coatl winking size=1]
I feel like there’s gonna be at least a small handful of cases of confusion about SPN or Good Omens fan dragons on the horizon. Hopefully rule enforcing staff are up to date on their fandoms, heheh.

Everyone is a time traveler. I just do it faster!

Vellichor / The Doctor | They/It/He | +3 FR
I'm also interested in this and if it applies to demons and demonic names/imagery as well? EG Azazel, Abaddon, Asmodeus

These are really common in media, both just as names and also as directly portraying the characters in fantasy/sci fi media. Like would a Saint Michael fandragon be okay if you were referencing character based on Saint Michael? (Like from Granblue/Supernatural/Good Omens ect or something) Do you have to specify that in bio?
I'm also interested in this and if it applies to demons and demonic names/imagery as well? EG Azazel, Abaddon, Asmodeus

These are really common in media, both just as names and also as directly portraying the characters in fantasy/sci fi media. Like would a Saint Michael fandragon be okay if you were referencing character based on Saint Michael? (Like from Granblue/Supernatural/Good Omens ect or something) Do you have to specify that in bio?
83536575.pngThe Arcane symbol sits in the center of a field of stars in a deep purple background. 64356901.png
I think it's insane that the names are deemed "banned" because like... irl people are named after saints and angels literally all the time? Like why is it a problem now?! Like these are casual names and being into religious stuff should be fine. I don't see the harm in having angels or angellic dragons with the same names as angels. If you're gonna do "no more angel/demon names because religion" I would just idk close Flight Rising at some point because almost anything on the site could be taken a wrong way (tbf always had this gripe with the staff making the most insane decisions and being under handed with them a lot of the time). IDK it's just insane to me now. Let people name their dang virtual dragons, let them write lore. It's art merit like calm down.
I think it's insane that the names are deemed "banned" because like... irl people are named after saints and angels literally all the time? Like why is it a problem now?! Like these are casual names and being into religious stuff should be fine. I don't see the harm in having angels or angellic dragons with the same names as angels. If you're gonna do "no more angel/demon names because religion" I would just idk close Flight Rising at some point because almost anything on the site could be taken a wrong way (tbf always had this gripe with the staff making the most insane decisions and being under handed with them a lot of the time). IDK it's just insane to me now. Let people name their dang virtual dragons, let them write lore. It's art merit like calm down.
I do hope they clarify things a little further. Their statement doesn't seem detailed enough of where the line is.

What exactly counts as religious is not super clear either. There are the obvious religions but do mythologies such as Greek, Roman and Norse count as religious or are they exceptions?

I feel bad for the mods if they push it onto names because there is so much sorting they would have to do. As people mentioned there are fandragons of media such as SPN. Not to mention Marvel if Norse mythology is counted as religious. There are many situations where a ban on names wouldn't work well.

Names like Micheal and Gabriel are common outside of a religious context. I know there are many names like that across cultures. I have a dragon named Micheal who is a fan dragon for the FNAF character. Would I have to rename him to Mike or something?

I do hope they clarify things a little further. Their statement doesn't seem detailed enough of where the line is.

What exactly counts as religious is not super clear either. There are the obvious religions but do mythologies such as Greek, Roman and Norse count as religious or are they exceptions?

I feel bad for the mods if they push it onto names because there is so much sorting they would have to do. As people mentioned there are fandragons of media such as SPN. Not to mention Marvel if Norse mythology is counted as religious. There are many situations where a ban on names wouldn't work well.

Names like Micheal and Gabriel are common outside of a religious context. I know there are many names like that across cultures. I have a dragon named Micheal who is a fan dragon for the FNAF character. Would I have to rename him to Mike or something?

qi4vciN.pngjELaj9w.pngO0Pbuvo.png
1 2