Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Revert aruboa paisley
1 2 3 4
From the FRD discussion: [quote name="Arcadaline" date="2024-02-19 09:55:55" ] Oh gee, old paisley looks way better on the auroboas! D: I feel like what looks better should trumps consistency particularly in this case where it's not necessarily inconsistent, it's just how it has been adapted to the breed. It looks too busy and lacks definition now. I don't know why anyone would suggest for this change. [/quote] That's the thing, Nobody did. the bug report was highlight issues. [quote name="EaterofMan" date="2024-02-19 10:31:38" ] I don't understand why they'd put a bugged gene into roundsey in the first place. I get there was probably some miscommunication between different parts of the team, which is fine, but it seems like a pretty big oversight when these issues have been known for months. It's just a shame that aura's released so bugged. It definitely gives me second thoughts about buying breeds upon release. I haven't gened a single aura yet, despite loving the breed, because how can I be sure that any genes I buy stay consistent? Especially gem genes. Like, idk what the solution is, but something needs to be done about it. Aura's release was an absolute disaster on so many parts. [/quote] [quote name="cantrip" date="2024-02-19 11:30:55" ] [quote name="fistfulofdragons" date="2024-02-19 11:26:07" ] With every new breed release there are dedicated threads in the bugs forums for art errors, and they keep a running list of known gene issues and inconsistencies. They track which ones are intentional and which will be fixed. [i]Reminder to everyone to keep an eye on the dev tracker during new releases I guess.[/i] The thread always shows up in there when it goes up, and from there you just gotta keep an eye on it to see what kinds of errors people post about and which make it to the main post. Kinda agree about the "error" version looking better though...I can see why everyone's disappointed [/quote] a minority of a minority of players even use the forums at all, much less actually track the bug thread. that's a big problem. it means that the median FR player had no idea this was a bug in the first place. the fact that they released a roundsey prize and let it run for 6 days with the 'wrong' version of the genes just supported the idea that it was not a bug to anyone not in that tiny little subsection of players who tracked the bug reports thread. [/quote] [quote name="Halszkaraptor" date="2024-02-19 13:12:15" ] I've already said my piece in the suggestions thread but the one annoying thing about this is that: sure there was mention of paisley (and fern probably I'm not sure) might have been bugged and was possibly being investigated. But as far as I was aware, and apparently many others too, the error being investigated was about the saturation of the gradient and the harshness of the highlights. NOTHING about the upper wing being "inconsistent" from other feathered breeds. This is a pretty dramatic change. (Sadly there was no archive of the thread prior to the update so I can't even go back to check to make sure I'm not misremembering things and getting mad at nothing.) [/quote] No, you're 100% correct as I state above [quote name="ShinySalamence" date="2024-02-19 15:11:51" ] [quote name="Silence1250" date="2024-02-19 10:06:46" ] Yeah, I feel like this is probably going to become another Obelisk Flair situation [/quote] [img]https://j.gifs.com/KeY2xZ.gif[/img] Obelisk flair...2! [/quote] We can Only hope [quote name="Khuzdul" date="2024-02-19 17:16:29" ] SNIP That's the problem. They haven't really communicated these big design changes, to see what we want. From my understanding, the bug reported for paisley was solely for the highlights. I'm not sure what the actual listed bug said (did it say "paisley is missing from parts of all auraboa poses" or did it simply say "paisley highlights are over saturated?") Especially to do it so far from release, when people have spent money to gene up a dragon to look a specific way. That's what happened with the butterfly problem, and now to a (somewhat) lesser degree, paisley for auras. Also, idk if it's been brought up in this thread, but over in the suggestions thread, [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/3316377/17#post_56218322]it's been confirmed[/url] that the top feathers of the wings, and the lower part of the crest are considered "mane." Meaning that it would line up with other breeds with a mane. [/quote] The original bug report was in fact only for Highlights/shadows and had nothing to do with the top portion acting like mane. People are confused and upset
From the FRD discussion:
Arcadaline wrote on 2024-02-19 09:55:55:
Oh gee, old paisley looks way better on the auroboas! D: I feel like what looks better should trumps consistency particularly in this case where it's not necessarily inconsistent, it's just how it has been adapted to the breed.

It looks too busy and lacks definition now. I don't know why anyone would suggest for this change.
That's the thing, Nobody did. the bug report was highlight issues.
EaterofMan wrote on 2024-02-19 10:31:38:
I don't understand why they'd put a bugged gene into roundsey in the first place. I get there was probably some miscommunication between different parts of the team, which is fine, but it seems like a pretty big oversight when these issues have been known for months.

It's just a shame that aura's released so bugged. It definitely gives me second thoughts about buying breeds upon release. I haven't gened a single aura yet, despite loving the breed, because how can I be sure that any genes I buy stay consistent? Especially gem genes.

Like, idk what the solution is, but something needs to be done about it. Aura's release was an absolute disaster on so many parts.

cantrip wrote on 2024-02-19 11:30:55:
fistfulofdragons wrote on 2024-02-19 11:26:07:
With every new breed release there are dedicated threads in the bugs forums for art errors, and they keep a running list of known gene issues and inconsistencies. They track which ones are intentional and which will be fixed. Reminder to everyone to keep an eye on the dev tracker during new releases I guess. The thread always shows up in there when it goes up, and from there you just gotta keep an eye on it to see what kinds of errors people post about and which make it to the main post.

Kinda agree about the "error" version looking better though...I can see why everyone's disappointed

a minority of a minority of players even use the forums at all, much less actually track the bug thread. that's a big problem. it means that the median FR player had no idea this was a bug in the first place.

the fact that they released a roundsey prize and let it run for 6 days with the 'wrong' version of the genes just supported the idea that it was not a bug to anyone not in that tiny little subsection of players who tracked the bug reports thread.

Halszkaraptor wrote on 2024-02-19 13:12:15:
I've already said my piece in the suggestions thread but the one annoying thing about this is that: sure there was mention of paisley (and fern probably I'm not sure) might have been bugged and was possibly being investigated. But as far as I was aware, and apparently many others too, the error being investigated was about the saturation of the gradient and the harshness of the highlights.

NOTHING about the upper wing being "inconsistent" from other feathered breeds.

This is a pretty dramatic change.

(Sadly there was no archive of the thread prior to the update so I can't even go back to check to make sure I'm not misremembering things and getting mad at nothing.)
No, you're 100% correct as I state above
ShinySalamence wrote on 2024-02-19 15:11:51:
Silence1250 wrote on 2024-02-19 10:06:46:
Yeah, I feel like this is probably going to become another Obelisk Flair situation
KeY2xZ.gif
Obelisk flair...2!
We can Only hope
Khuzdul wrote on 2024-02-19 17:16:29:
SNIP
That's the problem. They haven't really communicated these big design changes, to see what we want. From my understanding, the bug reported for paisley was solely for the highlights. I'm not sure what the actual listed bug said (did it say "paisley is missing from parts of all auraboa poses" or did it simply say "paisley highlights are over saturated?")

Especially to do it so far from release, when people have spent money to gene up a dragon to look a specific way. That's what happened with the butterfly problem, and now to a (somewhat) lesser degree, paisley for auras.

Also, idk if it's been brought up in this thread, but over in the suggestions thread, it's been confirmed that the top feathers of the wings, and the lower part of the crest are considered "mane." Meaning that it would line up with other breeds with a mane.
The original bug report was in fact only for Highlights/shadows and had nothing to do with the top portion acting like mane.

People are confused and upset
kXpNHpy.pngplagueshieldr.png99zjGkK.pngzSvfhTP.pngshadowshieldl.pngK3S42IV.png
Full Support of the revision! Back to the original!

The part that got the mane treatment is treated like the MANE area on other Aura genes! Paisley simply got what it was supposed to!

In fact, in the skin files, I believe it's even labeled as mane! It wasn't a bug!
Full Support of the revision! Back to the original!

The part that got the mane treatment is treated like the MANE area on other Aura genes! Paisley simply got what it was supposed to!

In fact, in the skin files, I believe it's even labeled as mane! It wasn't a bug!
Check out the Sales tab in my lair! It's full of gen 1s!

Water my plants?
1122832.png1123143.png1122971.png
Support for reverting it and making it easier for players to know which genes are bugged.
Support for reverting it and making it easier for players to know which genes are bugged.
12475606.png87597622.png84500972.png83156440.png88684011.png56303576.png
Support for reversion, It sounds like the issue is NOT personal preference nor aesthetics, but communication.
Support for reversion, It sounds like the issue is NOT personal preference nor aesthetics, but communication.
No support as of now as I have no idea what it "used" to look like It looks perfectly fine on my dragon [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/90726022][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/907261/90726022_350.png[/img][/url]
No support as of now as I have no idea what it "used" to look like

It looks perfectly fine on my dragon

90726022_350.png
LEpJMnn.png
J8QoPxT.png
CtM8cLF.png tqGkHih.png
5DjYECS.png
Oh wait yeah no, support
Saw that the old gene looks like and yeah the old gene looks better :/

Maybe. Idk I'm on the fence. Imo I think both versions look fine.
Oh wait yeah no, support
Saw that the old gene looks like and yeah the old gene looks better :/

Maybe. Idk I'm on the fence. Imo I think both versions look fine.
LEpJMnn.png
J8QoPxT.png
CtM8cLF.png tqGkHih.png
5DjYECS.png
Yea I support this thread I submitted with a support ticket already. I hope staff takes a nice long look at this thread too. I'm not directly affected by this (or by Sandsurge Blend which is a similar issue) so personally the biggest issue is communication. Players shouldn't be expected to camp each individual gene error threads for changes that are so drastic and wide reaching. This kind of thing ABSOLUTELY needs to pop up in the site status thing, at the least. I didn't even know this was happening until i went on tumblr an saw everyone blowing up, so disorienting. (and just to be clear even though i dont have auraboas with paisley, breakup, or hypnotic or any sandsurges, i agree with what other players are saying about this on tumblr and in this thread. The changes to auraboa paisley and sandsurge blend should be reverted and auraboa breakup and hypnotic should not be changed) The knowledge that those areas of the wings are marked as Mane in the skin files are particularly damning, along with this quote: [quote=Zenzic]Paisley consistently matches designated mane areas across the following breeds: Aberration, Fae, Imperial, Nocturne, Obelisk, Pearlcatcher, Skydancer, Tundra, Veilspun, Wildclaw. The Auraboa's original Paisley was previously consistent with the above, but the "fixed" version is now consistent with the following breeds: Coatl ... Oops?[/quote] It speaks to how it's not actually consistent at all. Like I already said, theres definitely a communication issue between site and users. This shows that there could also be communication issues internally with staff. Seems theyre just making impulse decisions and claiming "CONSISTENCY!" when it isn't even consistent and looks worse to boot. I also agree with concerns around new breed releases in general. I feel like Aethers, Sandsurges, and Auraboas were all released so close together that they didn't have time to breathe and really be enjoyed by the community. I definitely didn't have enough time to soak each one in before the next came out. I don't doubt FR's claims to be anti crunch but it's still poor timing and planning. Smells like when Pokemon Scarlet/Violet got announced and I didn't feel hype or excited I just thought "wait, what? already!? oh....." Between these gene errors and the racial sensitivity concerns in the lore story, Auraboas just feel so half baked! It's hard to get enthusiastic about them. Staff clearly wanted Auraboas out in time to get a Rockbreaker gene while also wanting cookie points for making the breed have the largest gene selection to date. But so much about Auraboas feels like quantity over quality. Would it have killed them to slow down and improve quality assurance for Auraboas before releasing and then make a big ol parallel gene update to them later on? To end off I wanna echo what the OP of this thread has already done a couple times and post this quote by Undel: [quote=Undel]Many genes have accommodations for dragon anatomy where one breed is every so slightly different than others because it worked better for them. These are not considered errors.[/quote]
Yea I support this thread
I submitted with a support ticket already. I hope staff takes a nice long look at this thread too.

I'm not directly affected by this (or by Sandsurge Blend which is a similar issue) so personally the biggest issue is communication. Players shouldn't be expected to camp each individual gene error threads for changes that are so drastic and wide reaching. This kind of thing ABSOLUTELY needs to pop up in the site status thing, at the least. I didn't even know this was happening until i went on tumblr an saw everyone blowing up, so disorienting.
(and just to be clear even though i dont have auraboas with paisley, breakup, or hypnotic or any sandsurges, i agree with what other players are saying about this on tumblr and in this thread. The changes to auraboa paisley and sandsurge blend should be reverted and auraboa breakup and hypnotic should not be changed)

The knowledge that those areas of the wings are marked as Mane in the skin files are particularly damning, along with this quote:
Zenzic wrote:
Paisley consistently matches designated mane areas across the following breeds:
Aberration, Fae, Imperial, Nocturne, Obelisk, Pearlcatcher, Skydancer, Tundra, Veilspun, Wildclaw.

The Auraboa's original Paisley was previously consistent with the above, but the "fixed" version is now consistent with the following breeds:
Coatl

... Oops?
It speaks to how it's not actually consistent at all. Like I already said, theres definitely a communication issue between site and users. This shows that there could also be communication issues internally with staff. Seems theyre just making impulse decisions and claiming "CONSISTENCY!" when it isn't even consistent and looks worse to boot.

I also agree with concerns around new breed releases in general. I feel like Aethers, Sandsurges, and Auraboas were all released so close together that they didn't have time to breathe and really be enjoyed by the community. I definitely didn't have enough time to soak each one in before the next came out. I don't doubt FR's claims to be anti crunch but it's still poor timing and planning. Smells like when Pokemon Scarlet/Violet got announced and I didn't feel hype or excited I just thought "wait, what? already!? oh....."
Between these gene errors and the racial sensitivity concerns in the lore story, Auraboas just feel so half baked! It's hard to get enthusiastic about them. Staff clearly wanted Auraboas out in time to get a Rockbreaker gene while also wanting cookie points for making the breed have the largest gene selection to date. But so much about Auraboas feels like quantity over quality.
Would it have killed them to slow down and improve quality assurance for Auraboas before releasing and then make a big ol parallel gene update to them later on?

To end off I wanna echo what the OP of this thread has already done a couple times and post this quote by Undel:
Undel wrote:
Many genes have accommodations for dragon anatomy where one breed is every so slightly different than others because it worked better for them. These are not considered errors.
IlQH5rO.pnga snow covered lantern with the words 'FR SSE 2023' to its right
support for putting the old one back. or at least hosting a poll.
support for putting the old one back. or at least hosting a poll.
Hello everyone! Thank you very much for your feedback! [b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/frd/3317010]Undel has addressed this issue here in the Flight Rising Discussion forum.[/url][/b] [b]Some highlights:[/b] [list][*]Auraboa Fern and Paisley will be reverted later tonight [*] Sandsurge Blend on the crests will be fixed later tonight [list][*]This was an error introduced during the correction process. [/list] [*]Our plans for gene errors going forward which include time-limited focus threads and open-ended technical error threads.[/list] Thank you again!
Hello everyone! Thank you very much for your feedback! Undel has addressed this issue here in the Flight Rising Discussion forum.

Some highlights:
  • Auraboa Fern and Paisley will be reverted later tonight
  • Sandsurge Blend on the crests will be fixed later tonight
    • This was an error introduced during the correction process.
  • Our plans for gene errors going forward which include time-limited focus threads and open-ended technical error threads.

Thank you again!
1 2 3 4