Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | How to make a fursuit?
1 2
Hey! So I'm a beginner and I've never in my life ever made a fursuit or any equivalent of one, and all the tutorials I've seen seem to require some already basic knowledge of making one (which I have no clue where to start haha).

It's my absolute dream to make a good looking suit of my main sona, and I wanted to commission a head from a maker, however its VERY expensive and I think I instead want to learn how to make my own!

So, my question is, does anyone know how to make one, where do I start, and any tips? :) thanks so much!

Edit: Here's the character in case someone might be curious; https://toyhou.se/14237750.bat
Hey! So I'm a beginner and I've never in my life ever made a fursuit or any equivalent of one, and all the tutorials I've seen seem to require some already basic knowledge of making one (which I have no clue where to start haha).

It's my absolute dream to make a good looking suit of my main sona, and I wanted to commission a head from a maker, however its VERY expensive and I think I instead want to learn how to make my own!

So, my question is, does anyone know how to make one, where do I start, and any tips? :) thanks so much!

Edit: Here's the character in case someone might be curious; https://toyhou.se/14237750.bat
79771108_lfwPW5bn2U5Fpy7.png
Hello there! A great idea is purchasing head bases on eBay/Etsy. You can also find packages of fur to use on the base(s).
Hello there! A great idea is purchasing head bases on eBay/Etsy. You can also find packages of fur to use on the base(s).
VGxuHXT.pngRbf96Oh.gif
@Rayspookey

Hey! is there a certain type of head base that would be better than others? Since I know there is foam, I've also seen epoxy/plastic, etc. I was also curious how people find exact shades of colors for their suits, is there a site I can enter a hex code or something? thanks so much for the help!
@Rayspookey

Hey! is there a certain type of head base that would be better than others? Since I know there is foam, I've also seen epoxy/plastic, etc. I was also curious how people find exact shades of colors for their suits, is there a site I can enter a hex code or something? thanks so much for the help!
@Risshou I believe the base type would depend on the species! You can Google a list of shades with their IDs and go from there I think!
@Risshou I believe the base type would depend on the species! You can Google a list of shades with their IDs and go from there I think!
VGxuHXT.pngRbf96Oh.gif
@rayspookey

Alright, that makes sense, thank you so much! :)
@rayspookey

Alright, that makes sense, thank you so much! :)
@risshou
hello! i am also somewhat of a beginner whos been studying the craft (and making my second go at a head currently) for many years! id be happy to share my two cents ^^

head bases! i have no experience of other types of bases but i love foam! the first step to getting a head is getting a base, whether that be by making it yourself or getting one from a creator! imo, as a beginner it might be best to start with something cheaper (as you only get better from where you start), but the nice thing about foam is its not too hard to recover the base if you start building on it and want to abort ^^

there are guides on etsy for foam patterning to make a head yourself! i would personally suggest kloofsuits, who has many lovely patterns for heads and paws. tools you will need would be a hot glue gun, scissors, a marker, and foam that you can purchase from a local art store. and lots of time and perseverance! or, you could buy a head. many sellers will use casts and expanding foam to manufacture heads. and if youd like one a little cheaper, they often have discounted heads that came out with flaws as well!

usually heads go about like this >

make or get a head base (this is like the "skull" of your character)

patterning your base (using tape to create a blueprint for cutting out fabric)

furring your base (this is when you sew all the fabric together to then put on your base)

accessorizing and detailing your head (this is things like the nose, eyes, inner mouth and painting them, airbrushing, adding hair, etc)

for fur, people will usually get swatches from sellers. first fur seller to mind is howlfabrics, who you can buy swatches (like 1in x 1in pieces of fabric) for fur for 1$ each to see if you like the color and texture of the fur! there are many different types of faux fur too described by their length, texture, compatibility for shaving. . . google is your best friend for learning the differences :]
@risshou
hello! i am also somewhat of a beginner whos been studying the craft (and making my second go at a head currently) for many years! id be happy to share my two cents ^^

head bases! i have no experience of other types of bases but i love foam! the first step to getting a head is getting a base, whether that be by making it yourself or getting one from a creator! imo, as a beginner it might be best to start with something cheaper (as you only get better from where you start), but the nice thing about foam is its not too hard to recover the base if you start building on it and want to abort ^^

there are guides on etsy for foam patterning to make a head yourself! i would personally suggest kloofsuits, who has many lovely patterns for heads and paws. tools you will need would be a hot glue gun, scissors, a marker, and foam that you can purchase from a local art store. and lots of time and perseverance! or, you could buy a head. many sellers will use casts and expanding foam to manufacture heads. and if youd like one a little cheaper, they often have discounted heads that came out with flaws as well!

usually heads go about like this >

make or get a head base (this is like the "skull" of your character)

patterning your base (using tape to create a blueprint for cutting out fabric)

furring your base (this is when you sew all the fabric together to then put on your base)

accessorizing and detailing your head (this is things like the nose, eyes, inner mouth and painting them, airbrushing, adding hair, etc)

for fur, people will usually get swatches from sellers. first fur seller to mind is howlfabrics, who you can buy swatches (like 1in x 1in pieces of fabric) for fur for 1$ each to see if you like the color and texture of the fur! there are many different types of faux fur too described by their length, texture, compatibility for shaving. . . google is your best friend for learning the differences :]
signature_minnow_by_minnowbutt-dcl2njy.png
from my very basic understanding, i think people like epoxy bases because theyre less insulating/lightweight/non flexible (for more delicate art), but ive always preferred foam so
from my very basic understanding, i think people like epoxy bases because theyre less insulating/lightweight/non flexible (for more delicate art), but ive always preferred foam so
@MinnowButt

Hey sorry for the long delay!! Omg thank you so much for the tips and the process, it helps a lot! I was feeling a bit overwhelmed when looking into it more but now I'm feeling a lot better, I'm definitely going to look into swatches as well, thank you so much! That was one issue I had as I'm SO picky with color haha.
@MinnowButt

Hey sorry for the long delay!! Omg thank you so much for the tips and the process, it helps a lot! I was feeling a bit overwhelmed when looking into it more but now I'm feeling a lot better, I'm definitely going to look into swatches as well, thank you so much! That was one issue I had as I'm SO picky with color haha.
@risshou absolutely!! I'd be happy to help further if you get more questions too [emoji=imperial love size=2]
@risshou absolutely!! I'd be happy to help further if you get more questions too
never ever made a fursuit in my life but if you ever plan on coloring w/spray paint or shaving a lot of fur (i think?) invest in a good mask to stay healthy :) i wish you luck! also the link is broken for your sona. i wish you a very as little costly as possible fursuit journey [emoji=aberration tongue size=2]
never ever made a fursuit in my life but if you ever plan on coloring w/spray paint or shaving a lot of fur (i think?) invest in a good mask to stay healthy :) i wish you luck! also the link is broken for your sona.

i wish you a very as little costly as possible fursuit journey
aC86tUH.png mlHpBMC.png
w3eXdQQ.png
wAfJ7Bn.png4Gh3xRo.png
0XHtpWy.pngz3FSuck.png
1 2