Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What are you currently reading?
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15
[quote name="Hydraheads" date="2024-02-06 22:08:20" ] [quote name="plasticseaslug" date="2024-02-06 21:46:45" ] i really enjoyed exquisite corpse!! i have such a fun time with novels about horrible people doing horrible things, especially when it has to do with The Body and similar. i also have plenty of stomach for extreme horror, though. [/quote] Oh yeah?? I've been getting more into the extreme horror genre... Any other good titles you'd rec, if you may? Happy to hear you've read it as well! I'm really enthralled with it, despite the subject and characters, its really fascinating and it's one of those books I love so far but I feel like some people might think I'm crazy for enjoying at all xD I know Poppy has some vampire titles they've written as well I'm thinking about picking up; Lost Souls, and Drawing Blood. [/quote] unfortunately extreme horror as a genre is known for being frequently... terrible? poorly written, at least. the only novel that truly comes to mind for me to recommend is american psycho, with the understanding that a lot of the horror comes from the narrator being a deliberately horrible person, which includes a lot of bigoted actions. as with any horror, find a trigger list.
Hydraheads wrote on 2024-02-06 22:08:20:
plasticseaslug wrote on 2024-02-06 21:46:45:
i really enjoyed exquisite corpse!! i have such a fun time with novels about horrible people doing horrible things, especially when it has to do with The Body and similar. i also have plenty of stomach for extreme horror, though.

Oh yeah?? I've been getting more into the extreme horror genre... Any other good titles you'd rec, if you may?

Happy to hear you've read it as well! I'm really enthralled with it, despite the subject and characters, its really fascinating and it's one of those books I love so far but I feel like some people might think I'm crazy for enjoying at all xD I know Poppy has some vampire titles they've written as well I'm thinking about picking up; Lost Souls, and Drawing Blood.

unfortunately extreme horror as a genre is known for being frequently... terrible? poorly written, at least. the only novel that truly comes to mind for me to recommend is american psycho, with the understanding that a lot of the horror comes from the narrator being a deliberately horrible person, which includes a lot of bigoted actions. as with any horror, find a trigger list.
8571491f34d15c79324789f17fef14034d2d6c52.gifbf9d479f9757ab123107737844fcf3fac53f33ae.gif b81ad04ac7d51b61d9190f8eb96b0a85cec1be3d.gif bf9d479f9757ab123107737844fcf3fac53f33ae.gif35049669a1797c08a87f2bf411c52ea5ea89399f.gif
eswSnrS.pngePOliyb.pngoq8LyLj.pngmSLoohP.pngooe7M15.png
Game of thrones by George RR Martin (just finished the first one, and holy shoot, I need all my brain cells to get behind the familial relations) and imperium by Robert Harris (also just finished first volume, also very dense but fun). Do webcomics count? If so, I‘m currently just waiting for updates to the greatest estate-developer, the remarried empress rn. Also started a new one called men of the harem. All very entertaining.
Game of thrones by George RR Martin (just finished the first one, and holy shoot, I need all my brain cells to get behind the familial relations) and imperium by Robert Harris (also just finished first volume, also very dense but fun). Do webcomics count? If so, I‘m currently just waiting for updates to the greatest estate-developer, the remarried empress rn. Also started a new one called men of the harem. All very entertaining.
ACqf9Pb.png
Eye of Argon.

10/10 would recommend.
Eye of Argon.

10/10 would recommend.
rsz-2img-1151.png
Slowly but surely getting started on The Priory of the Orange Tree! I haven't really read a book since I graduated HS, so like what three years now? Maybe cause I've gotten real picky with them. But I went to Barnes and Noble with my friends a few weeks ago and it looked real nice, and I heard its got wlw rep AND dragons so! But I'll admit its hard to have the energy to pick up a new fantasy book now lol.

I've also considered doing a reread of Warriors for nostalgia + reading the newest two arcs (especially after I heard that (spoilers for latest book I think) Squirrelflight becomes leader, and Ivypool her deputy! Squirrelstar real!! Its what my girls deserve
Slowly but surely getting started on The Priory of the Orange Tree! I haven't really read a book since I graduated HS, so like what three years now? Maybe cause I've gotten real picky with them. But I went to Barnes and Noble with my friends a few weeks ago and it looked real nice, and I heard its got wlw rep AND dragons so! But I'll admit its hard to have the energy to pick up a new fantasy book now lol.

I've also considered doing a reread of Warriors for nostalgia + reading the newest two arcs (especially after I heard that (spoilers for latest book I think) Squirrelflight becomes leader, and Ivypool her deputy! Squirrelstar real!! Its what my girls deserve
red lizard from rain world

» Formerly Ceruleanfire, Springfire
» She/Her
» +2 FR Time || Pings welcome!
Recently started [i]The Last Werewolf[/i] by Glen Duncan, I found it in a 2nd hand store and it's already looking like a strong contender for one of my favourite books ever! I have a pretty long queue after this. [emoji=green gem size=1]
Recently started The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan, I found it in a 2nd hand store and it's already looking like a strong contender for one of my favourite books ever!

I have a pretty long queue after this.
[quote name="Ralsha" date="2024-02-11 20:26:42" ] Slowly but surely getting started on The Priory of the Orange Tree! I haven't really read a book since I graduated HS, so like what three years now? Maybe cause I've gotten real picky with them. But I went to Barnes and Noble with my friends a few weeks ago and it looked real nice, and I heard its got wlw rep AND dragons so! But I'll admit its hard to have the energy to pick up a new fantasy book now lol. [/quote] I've heard really good things about The Priory of the Orange Tree!! It sounds like an awesome time, though.
Ralsha wrote on 2024-02-11 20:26:42:
I've heard really good things about The Priory of the Orange Tree!! It sounds like an awesome time, though.
8571491f34d15c79324789f17fef14034d2d6c52.gifbf9d479f9757ab123107737844fcf3fac53f33ae.gif b81ad04ac7d51b61d9190f8eb96b0a85cec1be3d.gif bf9d479f9757ab123107737844fcf3fac53f33ae.gif35049669a1797c08a87f2bf411c52ea5ea89399f.gif
[quote name="berberberbr" date="2024-02-12 05:15:43" ] Recently started [i]The Last Werewolf[/i] by Glen Duncan, I found it in a 2nd hand store and it's already looking like a strong contender for one of my favourite books ever! I have a pretty long queue after this. [emoji=green gem size=1] [/quote] Oooh! I should check it out!
berberberbr wrote on 2024-02-12 05:15:43:
Recently started The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan, I found it in a 2nd hand store and it's already looking like a strong contender for one of my favourite books ever!

I have a pretty long queue after this.

Oooh! I should check it out!
The Poppy War trilogy by Rebecca F. Kuang!

I'm currently in the last chapters of The Dragon Republic (book 2/3) and I love these books so much
The Poppy War trilogy by Rebecca F. Kuang!

I'm currently in the last chapters of The Dragon Republic (book 2/3) and I love these books so much
FR +9 | they/them
Currently reading a lot of source materials for my history classes (It's all on Japanese Imperialism)

For leisure I'm still getting through Faust. Once I finish I am either going to reread Frankenstein or I'm going to finish The King in Yellow (or I might start Paradise Lost)

Editing! Apparently I will also be reading The Warmth of Other Suns because my lovely partner got it for me for V-day :') In that same vein of history books, I plan to read several chapters from Aspects of Social Change in Modern Japan edited by R.P. Dore.
Currently reading a lot of source materials for my history classes (It's all on Japanese Imperialism)

For leisure I'm still getting through Faust. Once I finish I am either going to reread Frankenstein or I'm going to finish The King in Yellow (or I might start Paradise Lost)

Editing! Apparently I will also be reading The Warmth of Other Suns because my lovely partner got it for me for V-day :') In that same vein of history books, I plan to read several chapters from Aspects of Social Change in Modern Japan edited by R.P. Dore.
UwUnl7O.png
mlHpBMC.pngmjtJ868.png 5vnsOgE.pngQ2if6VF.png
Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald; Capote's Women by Laurence Leamer (yes, because of all the marketing around that new season of Fued lol); and I have Where the Dead Wait by Ally Wilkes and The Handyman Method by Nick Cutter and Andrew F. Sullivan checked out, soon to be started!
Level 7 by Mordecai Roshwald; Capote's Women by Laurence Leamer (yes, because of all the marketing around that new season of Fued lol); and I have Where the Dead Wait by Ally Wilkes and The Handyman Method by Nick Cutter and Andrew F. Sullivan checked out, soon to be started!
iM3nEaT.png
ku5wTFW.png
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 15