Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | [FR Lore] The Heavenly Court
1 2

All the Heavenly Court character bios are now complete! They're all pretty sparse for information, but as I write more I'll try to fill them in, wiki-style. Yay! Now I can write freely.

(Until the next G1 I see, I guess, lol)

All the Heavenly Court character bios are now complete! They're all pretty sparse for information, but as I write more I'll try to fill them in, wiki-style. Yay! Now I can write freely.

(Until the next G1 I see, I guess, lol)
fr time +2
she/him
read my lore!
buy my art!
eratsa.gif
[center][size=5][font=Cambria][u][b]The Heavenly Court of the Fallen Pillar[/b][/u][/font][/size][/center] [color=white].[/color] [center][size=4][b]The Creation; Part 4[/b][/size] [color=white].[/color] [size=2][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725#post_55993571]Start from beginning[/url][/b][/size] [color=white].[/color] [size=2][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/1#post_3306725]Directory[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/1#post_56032316]Previous[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/2#post_56091233]Next[/url][/b][/size][/center] [color=white].[/color] [center]@pinglist-18660[/center] [color=white].[/color] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2956642#post_45960086][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/572163921989861408/877168205133668412/soe.gif[/img][/url][/center] [color=white].[/color] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/83098163]Dreamcrusher's[/url] domain centered on a crumbled mess of a temple. As she descended the stairs that led below ground, [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/83021622]Starsinger[/url] realized this was the structure made of relocated pieces of the Sunbeam Ruins, which she had glimpsed on her way out of the Tangled Wood. Dreamcrusher's accompanying fleet of dragons surrounded her and the armored skydancer, and they pressed closer in the dark tunnel. A flickering lamplight appeared at the end of the staircase. The orange glow washed over the dragons surrounding Starsinger, and she felt her chest tighten at the sight of the now visible twitching, writhing bits of Shade so close to her. Still, they did not touch her; it seemed like Dreamcrusher's protective layer extended to her body, too. They entered a chamber at the end of the staircase, and Dreamcrusher swept past Starsinger to take his place in a throne at the other end of the room -- if you could call it a throne. This, too, was built from scraps of the ruins, but with a bit more purpose. It seemed to be made of pieces that, when put together, perfectly sculpted around Dreamcrusher's form. It was a seat worthy of a king, which is what he seemed to be to these dragons. The dragons that surrounded Starsinger, as well as other dragons that had been socializing in the chamber, fell silent at the sight of him, and dropped to respectful bows. Dreamcrusher's glowing red eyes stared at Starsinger wordlessly. He was still, like a cobra about to strike. Did he want her, too, to kneel? Maybe these Shade-ridden dragons worshiped him, but he was no Lightweaver. Starsinger drew her pearl to her chest and met his gaze steadily. She did not lower her body. She raised her snout and looked down it at him. Dreamcrusher's head tilted back, and his tail twitched. Starsinger felt the sting of her claws clutching the cold surface of her pearl too tightly. She'd made him [i]move.[/i] Something told her few dragons managed such a feat. [b]"As you were,"[/b] Dreamcrusher finally growled. As if a sigh swept across the chamber, the dragons rose from their positions and resumed their various tasks. The dragons who had entered with Dreamcrusher and Starsinger drew forward, nudging her along with them until she stood a few feet away from Dreamcrusher's throne. He stared at her again, but she did not relent. She wasn't going to let herself, the Lightweaver's chosen, be intimidated by the likes of him, a false king that sat atop stolen ruins. Her tail lashed. "I hope you're not intending to make me like [i]them,"[/i] Starsinger hissed. The red glow widened. [b]"Elaborate."[/b] Starsinger cast an uneasy glance at the dragons around her, one of which included the imperial. They bared their fangs as her eyes passed over them. "They're all infected with Shade," Starsinger said. "You said yourself: you're the Voice of the Shade. You're controlling them." Dreamcrusher stared at her for a long time, and then suddenly let out a loud squawk of laughter. Starsinger jumped. [b]"The Shade does not freely infect,"[/b] Dreamcrusher said. He leaned forward in his chair, bringing his snout close enough to Starsinger's that she could see his mocking grin. [b]"My followers invite the Shade to be a part of them. The Shade is given support to grow in power, and its hosts are treated to the unconditional love of a power greater than themselves."[/b] Starsinger tried not to laugh in his face at the idea of the Shade being even [i]close[/i] to that of the Lightweaver's warm glow. "Well, what for?" she snapped back, shuffling forward. She did not like the group of dragons crowded behind her. Several of them looked agitated, but Dreamcrusher raised a wing to signal for them to stay still. "Why would you give power to the Shade? Don't you know how it's hurt dragons?" Dreamcrusher tilted his head. [b]"You dragons have hurt the Shade. Does that not count for anything?"[/b] "To [i]protect[/i] ourselves," Starsinger spat. She did not like the way he said [i]you dragons.[/i] Dreamcrusher seemed to consider this, and leaned back. He nodded to the dragons behind Starsinger. [b]"Go. Leave us."[/b] They nodded, and began to disperse, and then Dreamcrusher stood higher on his throne, widening his wings. They seemed to engulf everything. [b]"All of you! Leave us! I will tell you when your services are required again."[/b] His voice boomed through the room, even more than usual. As if on instinct, the other dragons quickly filed out, like ants running from a predator. Dreamcrusher waited until the last talonsteps faded, and then settled back in his throne. Hesitantly, Starsinger sat down as well. And then, to her shock, Dreamcrusher reached up, undid a clasp under his neck, and removed his helmet. For some reason, Starsinger assumed that the glowing red eyes were a trick of the helmet, to intimidate and maintain order. But Dreamcrusher opened his eyes, and they dazzled just the same. "Now," said Dreamcrusher, Voice of the Shade, and king of the Shade-ridden dragons on the edge of the Tangled Wood, "please, sell me on this World Pillar restoration you were talking about." [color=white].[/color] ----- [color=white].[/color] A pair of parents can do everything right. They can count their eggs, watch them, encircle their bodies around the eggs, make all nearby aware of the consequences of even [i]thinking[/i] about coming close to their nest. But, despite all this, the parents cannot control everything. Natural disasters hit. They rip through the small borough of a home, and the parents consider themselves lucky to have what eggs survive the disaster. The remains that should be found of a broken egg -- cracked shells, viscera that was meant to cradle a now malformed hatchling -- may be lost to them, but that need not matter. It's better even, if they can avoid the explicit nature of their grief. Even so, they can't help but cling to a scrap of hope. Even as a year passes, and the hatchlings they did manage to raise, begin to search for independence, for their own homes. Even as the parents help their children move out and onto their adult lives, they cling to the hope that somewhere, there is a dragon who lived without their parents, and is searching now for them. They question every dragon they see, even the least likely options, for the sliver of a possibility that they might see their child. Meanwhile, a year ago, a young hatchling finds a small flight of dragons who worship the Shade. They take to this hatchling right away. He becomes a darling of the gathering, and several are certain he will bring good to them, to the survival of the Shade. He grows with stories of the Shade, and with [i]good food.[/i] That's a first; skydancers can live well off of small insects and berries, but having a real meal for the first time opens the hatchling's eyes to what the world can offer. He decides that he will stop at nothing to have the whole of it in his grasp. The young dragon grows, and as all do, he is prepared for a coming-of-age ceremony. It was simple; he would walk to the deepest clearing of the Tangled Wood, and invite the Shade to join with him. Here, it would either accept, binding itself to his wings ad infinitum, or it would reject him, and with it the Shaded dragons would reject [i]him.[/i] Once complete, he would return, and be gifted a name. When he reaches the clearing, he watches the Shade. It approaches him eagerly, and he does not let it get close. He backs away, aims rotting attacks at it. He does not want to join with it; he wants to study it. The Shade is not a mystical creature. It is an animal, like the dragons. It is a beast, with logic and instincts, like any other. It has needs. The young dragon wonders how much power he can exert over this animal if he starves it long enough. The Shade seems to know his intentions. It does not [i]like[/i] to be starved. For awhile, the bed of Shade has appreciated the symbiotic nature of the neighboring dragons, after being so deftly avoided by the dragons residing in the Shadow realm. But now, this young dragon intends to reject it. If the Shade cannot make an ally of him, it will make him prey. It strikes out, and the young dragon is the first in generations to see its gleaming, onyx claws. He doesn't remember much after this. When he wakes, he is back at the temple. The rest of the Shaded dragons surround him, eyes gleaming, as if [i]he[/i] is the Shade, incarnate. And then his mind catches up to him, and he clasps his talons to his head, closing his eyes tightly. He feels [i]cold.[/i] It's the direct opposite of the pulsing warmth of a dying carcass, it's the chill of the shadows, the biting sharpness of a nighttime wind. It encircles his body, his mind. It bathes him, from inside out. He inhales, and it is [i]piercing.[/i] The Shade has embodied him. And he has allowed it to do so. He makes demands of the other dragons. They sweep away diligently. He keeps his eyes closed, keeps his talons pressed to his head. Later, the dragons return with his request; a helmet. It's nothing pretty -- he'll see to that being fixed later. For now, it'll do. He dons it, and opens his eyes; his suspicions are confirmed at the sight of the red glow being reflected on their scales. He also sees the bits of Shade on their bodies, inching towards him. It's like he is magnetic to it. But he glares at it, and it retreats with the meek demeanor of one struck. The other dragons -- his followers, now -- address him. They have given his name. It fits, he thinks. He inhales again, and the closest dragons would not be remiss if they saw the air cloud frostily at his maw. A pair of parents can do everything right. But even they cannot prevent the creation of Dreamcrusher, Voice of the Shade, and king of the Shade-ridden dragons on the edge of the Tangled Wood. [color=white].[/color] ----- [color=white].[/color] Dreamcrusher's voice did not boom like before once he removed his helmet. Starsinger found special appreciation for this as she finished explaining her mission, and its first contact. And then, she wondered why she had done so. Was she not giving the Enemy vital information? "Interesting," said Dreamcrusher. His golden-clad talons idly tapped the armrest of his throne. "A brave endeavor. One does wonder if such an outcome would be for the good of Sornieth." Starsinger blinked at him. Had she misheard? "From my understanding, you lead a bunch of dragons who want nothing more than for the Shade to destroy the deities," Starsinger said. Her wings curled around her body defensively. He hadn't said as much; in fact, he hadn't spoken at all once she began explaining. She'd given him everything to know about [i]her,[/i] and had gained no information from [i]him.[/i] "Maybe so," said Dreamcrusher unhelpfully. His other talon rest under his chin. "But this life has begun to bore me. I might like a challenge for once." "This isn't a [i]game,"[/i] Starsinger hissed. "It's not," replied Dreamcrusher. "It's a challenge. I'll come with you." "Who said you were invited?" "I'm an asset. And, in my absence, this chapter of the Shade's worshippers will fall. That benefits the Lightweaver, so you have already gained her blessing." Starsinger found that hard to believe. "They existed before you. I'm sure they'll exist without you." Dreamcrusher stood, helmet in his talons, and swept past her, towards the entrance. He paused by the doorway, and turned back towards her, the final clasp [i]click[/i]ing securely. [b]"You'd be surprised."[/b] [color=white].[/color] ----- [color=white].[/color] The rest of the Shade-ridden dragons were gathered just outside of the temple, waiting with bated breath for their king's return. Dreamcrusher swept into the open, and flitted to stand atop the haggard structure. Starsinger watched him without amusement, until he reached down and unceremoniously yanked her up to stand with him. [b]"This is the last you will all see of me,"[/b] announced Dreamcrusher. He did not wait for the gasps of shock to settle. [b]"This agent of the Lightweaver has swayed me. I am in service of her, of the restoration of the World Pillar. And so should you be. The Shade is a scourge upon the great land of Sornieth, and we would do best to our fellow dragons to aid in its destruction."[/b] Silence fell upon the gathered dragons. Starsinger almost felt bad for them. [b]"Any questions?"[/b] boomed Dreamcrusher. One coatl near the front raised a talon. [b]"Yes?"[/b] "Can we still hold the coming-of-age ceremony? My hatchlings were excited for that." [b]"No."[/b] "Okay." Starsinger couldn't believe what she was hearing. Dreamcrusher continued to respond to his followers, advising them to expel their bits of Shade from their bodies and to look towards expunging Sornieth of it. He made baseless accusations to the Shade, that even Starsinger wouldn't have thought of. In a matter of minutes he had made his commands to his congregation, and they were all obedient. [b]"Now I will leave you,"[/b] said Dreamcrusher. [b]"Move on to better things. Rejoin society. The destruction of the Shade is not for the benefit of only the Light. It is of benefit to us all."[/b] Then, he opened his wings, gave one last wave of farewell, and twirled into the sky. The dragons below watched him until he flew too high to see anymore, and then their eyes rested on Starsinger. Startled, she gave a meek, [i]"Uh, bye!"[/i] and quickly took off after her new companion. It didn't take long to catch up with Dreamcrusher, but Starsinger still found a way to struggle with the task. The two glided just below the clouds, passing over the Tangled Wood below. "How did you just leave them like that?" Starsinger asked after a while of silence. "They depended on you." "Same way you left your parents," Dreamcrusher replied without missing a beat. Starsinger's head snapped to look at him. He gave her a sideline glance. "That's not fair," Starsinger whispered. She was surprised he heard her. "It doesn't need to be," Dreamcrusher said. "You did what you felt you had to." "You wouldn't understand," Starsinger protested, feeling condescended. "You'll never understand. The Lightweaver [i]enveloped[/i] me." She thrust her wings downward with too much power, sending her a bit higher than intended. She quickly righted herself. "My parents wouldn't have wanted any part of this. They would have preferred I leave them out of it. They don't [i]like[/i] the deities. They didn't even [i]tell[/i] me of their existence." She spit the last part out, eyes narrowing. "I suppose," Dreamcrusher replied. Noncommittal. This enraged Starsinger. She felt a coldness in her chest, the coldest she'd felt since experiencing the warmth of the sun. She realized it was the reflex of charging an ice attack, and she quickly swallowed it. "I wasn't given a [i]choice.[/i] And now that I can, I choose the Lightweaver." "That's fair," said Dreamcrusher. Then he shot her a sidelong grin. "I mean -- me, too." "Right," she said, unwilling to forgive him so quickly. Dreamcrusher drifted closer, brushing their wingtips together. This startled Starsinger, and she reeled away, almost flinging herself off-course. "Warn me next time," she spat. Dreamcrusher didn't answer at first. He watched her for a moment through glowing eyes, and then sighed. "I take that I've been insensitive," he said slowly. "I do recognize the merit of this. I do want to help. I took you captive, co-opted your mission, and then mocked you. I'm sorry." Starsinger sniffed derisively. "Thank you." "Maybe, once we reach the Pillar's remains, we can start over." She glanced at him. He looked earnest. A bit sad, even. "Your imperial footsoldier struck me." "In fairness, I stopped them, twice. They tried to attack you when you first passed us, too. That strike was against my orders." "I suppose," Starsinger replied, suppressing a smirk. Dreamcrusher gasped, almost falling from the air, and then quickly flapped to catch up with Starsinger. "Now [i]you're[/i] mocking me!" "I am," she said. "Because I am in charge of this operation." She glared daggers in his direction. "I could have stricken you down as soon as we were out of sight of your congregation. I didn't because I trust your judgement and think you'd be a good help in organizing the Court for rebuilding the Pillar. You are my Advisor. You are not above me." "Okay." Starsinger heard the jingling of a clasp. [b]"Can I still wear the helmet?"[/b] "Maybe." [b]"Thank you."[/b] [color=white].[/color] [center] [size=2][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/1#post_3306725]Directory[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/1#post_56032316]Previous [/url]| [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/2#post_56091233]Next[/url][/b][/size] [color=white].[/color] [size=2][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/1#post_55993571]Start from beginning[/url][/b][/size][/center] [color=white].[/color] [center][pinglist=18661][pinglist=18660][/center] [color=white].[/color]
The Heavenly Court of the Fallen Pillar
The Creation; Part 4
Start from beginning
Directory | Previous | Next
. .
soe.gif

Dreamcrusher's domain centered on a crumbled mess of a temple. As she descended the stairs that led below ground, Starsinger realized this was the structure made of relocated pieces of the Sunbeam Ruins, which she had glimpsed on her way out of the Tangled Wood. Dreamcrusher's accompanying fleet of dragons surrounded her and the armored skydancer, and they pressed closer in the dark tunnel.

A flickering lamplight appeared at the end of the staircase. The orange glow washed over the dragons surrounding Starsinger, and she felt her chest tighten at the sight of the now visible twitching, writhing bits of Shade so close to her. Still, they did not touch her; it seemed like Dreamcrusher's protective layer extended to her body, too.

They entered a chamber at the end of the staircase, and Dreamcrusher swept past Starsinger to take his place in a throne at the other end of the room -- if you could call it a throne. This, too, was built from scraps of the ruins, but with a bit more purpose. It seemed to be made of pieces that, when put together, perfectly sculpted around Dreamcrusher's form. It was a seat worthy of a king, which is what he seemed to be to these dragons. The dragons that surrounded Starsinger, as well as other dragons that had been socializing in the chamber, fell silent at the sight of him, and dropped to respectful bows.

Dreamcrusher's glowing red eyes stared at Starsinger wordlessly. He was still, like a cobra about to strike.

Did he want her, too, to kneel? Maybe these Shade-ridden dragons worshiped him, but he was no Lightweaver. Starsinger drew her pearl to her chest and met his gaze steadily. She did not lower her body. She raised her snout and looked down it at him.

Dreamcrusher's head tilted back, and his tail twitched. Starsinger felt the sting of her claws clutching the cold surface of her pearl too tightly. She'd made him move.

Something told her few dragons managed such a feat.

"As you were," Dreamcrusher finally growled. As if a sigh swept across the chamber, the dragons rose from their positions and resumed their various tasks. The dragons who had entered with Dreamcrusher and Starsinger drew forward, nudging her along with them until she stood a few feet away from Dreamcrusher's throne.

He stared at her again, but she did not relent. She wasn't going to let herself, the Lightweaver's chosen, be intimidated by the likes of him, a false king that sat atop stolen ruins. Her tail lashed.

"I hope you're not intending to make me like them," Starsinger hissed.

The red glow widened. "Elaborate."

Starsinger cast an uneasy glance at the dragons around her, one of which included the imperial. They bared their fangs as her eyes passed over them.

"They're all infected with Shade," Starsinger said. "You said yourself: you're the Voice of the Shade. You're controlling them."

Dreamcrusher stared at her for a long time, and then suddenly let out a loud squawk of laughter. Starsinger jumped.

"The Shade does not freely infect," Dreamcrusher said. He leaned forward in his chair, bringing his snout close enough to Starsinger's that she could see his mocking grin. "My followers invite the Shade to be a part of them. The Shade is given support to grow in power, and its hosts are treated to the unconditional love of a power greater than themselves."

Starsinger tried not to laugh in his face at the idea of the Shade being even close to that of the Lightweaver's warm glow.

"Well, what for?" she snapped back, shuffling forward. She did not like the group of dragons crowded behind her. Several of them looked agitated, but Dreamcrusher raised a wing to signal for them to stay still. "Why would you give power to the Shade? Don't you know how it's hurt dragons?"

Dreamcrusher tilted his head. "You dragons have hurt the Shade. Does that not count for anything?"

"To protect ourselves," Starsinger spat. She did not like the way he said you dragons.

Dreamcrusher seemed to consider this, and leaned back. He nodded to the dragons behind Starsinger. "Go. Leave us." They nodded, and began to disperse, and then Dreamcrusher stood higher on his throne, widening his wings. They seemed to engulf everything. "All of you! Leave us! I will tell you when your services are required again."

His voice boomed through the room, even more than usual. As if on instinct, the other dragons quickly filed out, like ants running from a predator.

Dreamcrusher waited until the last talonsteps faded, and then settled back in his throne. Hesitantly, Starsinger sat down as well. And then, to her shock, Dreamcrusher reached up, undid a clasp under his neck, and removed his helmet.

For some reason, Starsinger assumed that the glowing red eyes were a trick of the helmet, to intimidate and maintain order. But Dreamcrusher opened his eyes, and they dazzled just the same.

"Now," said Dreamcrusher, Voice of the Shade, and king of the Shade-ridden dragons on the edge of the Tangled Wood, "please, sell me on this World Pillar restoration you were talking about."
A pair of parents can do everything right.

They can count their eggs, watch them, encircle their bodies around the eggs, make all nearby aware of the consequences of even thinking about coming close to their nest.

But, despite all this, the parents cannot control everything.

Natural disasters hit. They rip through the small borough of a home, and the parents consider themselves lucky to have what eggs survive the disaster. The remains that should be found of a broken egg -- cracked shells, viscera that was meant to cradle a now malformed hatchling -- may be lost to them, but that need not matter. It's better even, if they can avoid the explicit nature of their grief.

Even so, they can't help but cling to a scrap of hope. Even as a year passes, and the hatchlings they did manage to raise, begin to search for independence, for their own homes. Even as the parents help their children move out and onto their adult lives, they cling to the hope that somewhere, there is a dragon who lived without their parents, and is searching now for them. They question every dragon they see, even the least likely options, for the sliver of a possibility that they might see their child.

Meanwhile, a year ago, a young hatchling finds a small flight of dragons who worship the Shade.

They take to this hatchling right away. He becomes a darling of the gathering, and several are certain he will bring good to them, to the survival of the Shade. He grows with stories of the Shade, and with good food. That's a first; skydancers can live well off of small insects and berries, but having a real meal for the first time opens the hatchling's eyes to what the world can offer.

He decides that he will stop at nothing to have the whole of it in his grasp.

The young dragon grows, and as all do, he is prepared for a coming-of-age ceremony. It was simple; he would walk to the deepest clearing of the Tangled Wood, and invite the Shade to join with him. Here, it would either accept, binding itself to his wings ad infinitum, or it would reject him, and with it the Shaded dragons would reject him.

Once complete, he would return, and be gifted a name.

When he reaches the clearing, he watches the Shade. It approaches him eagerly, and he does not let it get close. He backs away, aims rotting attacks at it. He does not want to join with it; he wants to study it.

The Shade is not a mystical creature. It is an animal, like the dragons. It is a beast, with logic and instincts, like any other. It has needs. The young dragon wonders how much power he can exert over this animal if he starves it long enough.

The Shade seems to know his intentions. It does not like to be starved. For awhile, the bed of Shade has appreciated the symbiotic nature of the neighboring dragons, after being so deftly avoided by the dragons residing in the Shadow realm. But now, this young dragon intends to reject it. If the Shade cannot make an ally of him, it will make him prey.

It strikes out, and the young dragon is the first in generations to see its gleaming, onyx claws.

He doesn't remember much after this.

When he wakes, he is back at the temple. The rest of the Shaded dragons surround him, eyes gleaming, as if he is the Shade, incarnate.

And then his mind catches up to him, and he clasps his talons to his head, closing his eyes tightly.

He feels cold.

It's the direct opposite of the pulsing warmth of a dying carcass, it's the chill of the shadows, the biting sharpness of a nighttime wind. It encircles his body, his mind. It bathes him, from inside out. He inhales, and it is piercing.

The Shade has embodied him. And he has allowed it to do so.

He makes demands of the other dragons. They sweep away diligently. He keeps his eyes closed, keeps his talons pressed to his head.

Later, the dragons return with his request; a helmet. It's nothing pretty -- he'll see to that being fixed later. For now, it'll do. He dons it, and opens his eyes; his suspicions are confirmed at the sight of the red glow being reflected on their scales.

He also sees the bits of Shade on their bodies, inching towards him. It's like he is magnetic to it. But he glares at it, and it retreats with the meek demeanor of one struck.

The other dragons -- his followers, now -- address him. They have given his name. It fits, he thinks. He inhales again, and the closest dragons would not be remiss if they saw the air cloud frostily at his maw.

A pair of parents can do everything right. But even they cannot prevent the creation of Dreamcrusher, Voice of the Shade, and king of the Shade-ridden dragons on the edge of the Tangled Wood.
Dreamcrusher's voice did not boom like before once he removed his helmet. Starsinger found special appreciation for this as she finished explaining her mission, and its first contact. And then, she wondered why she had done so. Was she not giving the Enemy vital information?

"Interesting," said Dreamcrusher. His golden-clad talons idly tapped the armrest of his throne. "A brave endeavor. One does wonder if such an outcome would be for the good of Sornieth."

Starsinger blinked at him. Had she misheard?

"From my understanding, you lead a bunch of dragons who want nothing more than for the Shade to destroy the deities," Starsinger said. Her wings curled around her body defensively. He hadn't said as much; in fact, he hadn't spoken at all once she began explaining. She'd given him everything to know about her, and had gained no information from him.

"Maybe so," said Dreamcrusher unhelpfully. His other talon rest under his chin. "But this life has begun to bore me. I might like a challenge for once."

"This isn't a game," Starsinger hissed.

"It's not," replied Dreamcrusher. "It's a challenge. I'll come with you."

"Who said you were invited?"

"I'm an asset. And, in my absence, this chapter of the Shade's worshippers will fall. That benefits the Lightweaver, so you have already gained her blessing."

Starsinger found that hard to believe. "They existed before you. I'm sure they'll exist without you."

Dreamcrusher stood, helmet in his talons, and swept past her, towards the entrance. He paused by the doorway, and turned back towards her, the final clasp clicking securely.

"You'd be surprised."
The rest of the Shade-ridden dragons were gathered just outside of the temple, waiting with bated breath for their king's return. Dreamcrusher swept into the open, and flitted to stand atop the haggard structure. Starsinger watched him without amusement, until he reached down and unceremoniously yanked her up to stand with him.

"This is the last you will all see of me," announced Dreamcrusher. He did not wait for the gasps of shock to settle. "This agent of the Lightweaver has swayed me. I am in service of her, of the restoration of the World Pillar. And so should you be. The Shade is a scourge upon the great land of Sornieth, and we would do best to our fellow dragons to aid in its destruction."

Silence fell upon the gathered dragons. Starsinger almost felt bad for them.

"Any questions?" boomed Dreamcrusher.

One coatl near the front raised a talon.

"Yes?"

"Can we still hold the coming-of-age ceremony? My hatchlings were excited for that."

"No."

"Okay."

Starsinger couldn't believe what she was hearing. Dreamcrusher continued to respond to his followers, advising them to expel their bits of Shade from their bodies and to look towards expunging Sornieth of it. He made baseless accusations to the Shade, that even Starsinger wouldn't have thought of. In a matter of minutes he had made his commands to his congregation, and they were all obedient.

"Now I will leave you," said Dreamcrusher. "Move on to better things. Rejoin society. The destruction of the Shade is not for the benefit of only the Light. It is of benefit to us all."

Then, he opened his wings, gave one last wave of farewell, and twirled into the sky. The dragons below watched him until he flew too high to see anymore, and then their eyes rested on Starsinger. Startled, she gave a meek, "Uh, bye!" and quickly took off after her new companion.

It didn't take long to catch up with Dreamcrusher, but Starsinger still found a way to struggle with the task. The two glided just below the clouds, passing over the Tangled Wood below.

"How did you just leave them like that?" Starsinger asked after a while of silence. "They depended on you."

"Same way you left your parents," Dreamcrusher replied without missing a beat. Starsinger's head snapped to look at him. He gave her a sideline glance.

"That's not fair," Starsinger whispered. She was surprised he heard her.

"It doesn't need to be," Dreamcrusher said. "You did what you felt you had to."

"You wouldn't understand," Starsinger protested, feeling condescended. "You'll never understand. The Lightweaver enveloped me." She thrust her wings downward with too much power, sending her a bit higher than intended. She quickly righted herself. "My parents wouldn't have wanted any part of this. They would have preferred I leave them out of it. They don't like the deities. They didn't even tell me of their existence." She spit the last part out, eyes narrowing.

"I suppose," Dreamcrusher replied. Noncommittal.

This enraged Starsinger. She felt a coldness in her chest, the coldest she'd felt since experiencing the warmth of the sun. She realized it was the reflex of charging an ice attack, and she quickly swallowed it.

"I wasn't given a choice. And now that I can, I choose the Lightweaver."

"That's fair," said Dreamcrusher. Then he shot her a sidelong grin. "I mean -- me, too."

"Right," she said, unwilling to forgive him so quickly.

Dreamcrusher drifted closer, brushing their wingtips together. This startled Starsinger, and she reeled away, almost flinging herself off-course.

"Warn me next time," she spat.

Dreamcrusher didn't answer at first. He watched her for a moment through glowing eyes, and then sighed. "I take that I've been insensitive," he said slowly. "I do recognize the merit of this. I do want to help. I took you captive, co-opted your mission, and then mocked you. I'm sorry."

Starsinger sniffed derisively. "Thank you."

"Maybe, once we reach the Pillar's remains, we can start over."

She glanced at him. He looked earnest. A bit sad, even.

"Your imperial footsoldier struck me."

"In fairness, I stopped them, twice. They tried to attack you when you first passed us, too. That strike was against my orders."

"I suppose," Starsinger replied, suppressing a smirk.

Dreamcrusher gasped, almost falling from the air, and then quickly flapped to catch up with Starsinger. "Now you're mocking me!"

"I am," she said. "Because I am in charge of this operation." She glared daggers in his direction. "I could have stricken you down as soon as we were out of sight of your congregation. I didn't because I trust your judgement and think you'd be a good help in organizing the Court for rebuilding the Pillar. You are my Advisor. You are not above me."

"Okay." Starsinger heard the jingling of a clasp. "Can I still wear the helmet?"

"Maybe."

"Thank you."

. . .
fr time +2
she/him
read my lore!
buy my art!
eratsa.gif
DELICIOUS. beautiful. love a begrudging duo of weirdos. the bit about the coming of age ceremony was great, I could see the cartoon of it in my mind
DELICIOUS. beautiful. love a begrudging duo of weirdos. the bit about the coming of age ceremony was great, I could see the cartoon of it in my mind
@tenworms thank you sooo much ^___^!!!!!!
@tenworms thank you sooo much ^___^!!!!!!
fr time +2
she/him
read my lore!
buy my art!
eratsa.gif
[center][size=5][font=Cambria][u][b]The Heavenly Court of the Fallen Pillar[/b][/u][/font][/size][/center] [color=white].[/color] [center][size=4][b]The Creation; Part 5[/b][/size] [color=white].[/color] [size=2][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/1#post_55993571]Start from beginning[/url][/b][/size] [color=white].[/color] [size=2][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/1#post_3306725]Directory[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/2#post_56062975]Previous[/url][/b][/size][/center] [color=white].[/color] [center]@pinglist-18660[/center] [color=white].[/color] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/2956642#post_45960086][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/572163921989861408/877168205133668412/soe.gif[/img][/url][/center] [color=white].[/color] As [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/83021622]Starsinger [/url]and [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/83098163]Dreamcrusher [/url]flew across the Tangled Wood, they spoke. Not of anything of importance, hardly did they share information, in fact; Starsinger had already told Dreamcrusher everything there was to know about her, and Dreamcrusher had tacitly offered nothing. Starsinger hadn't noticed, of course; she had naturally assumed that what she'd witnessed made up the entire whole of the dragon flying beside her. Below them, the trees began to thin out in favor of rocky ledges which made way for cliffs. Moving quick as they were, one could imagine the pines drying out and dying in the suddenly-appearing, earthy world. Starsinger was not watching the pines be drained of their essence. She was staring straight ahead, her flight speed increasing with each flap. The remains of the World Pillar had come into view. Then again, how could it not have? For being the "remains," it skewered the dawn sky above as if the stars were dewdrops on a spider's web. Starsinger could just barely make out a few floating, crumbled pieces at the very top. Dreamcrusher let out a low whistle, which would have scared Starsinger right out of the air if it had been amplified by his usual helmet. "Well, it looks just fine to me," the skydancer commented. "Perhaps your services aren't needed after all." Starsinger scoffed. "The cult you dissolved two weeks ago would say otherwise." Their first destination would be Terraclae; the cave city just at the edge of the territory, formed from an old quarry. Starsinger intrinsically knew that this would be a good beginning, and this feeling was confirmed as they drew closer. It was crowded wall-to-wall with dragons, talking and socializing among one another, even this early in the day. If Dreamcrusher's underground chambers had been stifling, this was [i]suffocating.[/i] They managed to find a clearing and landed. Even here, in a large crater that was the equivalent of several stories underground, the Pillar was still visible. The very sight made Starsinger's wings shudder. When Starsinger returned to reality, Dreamcrusher was tying an adorned ribbon through his helmet, so that it hung easily from his wing. Efficient, she decided, and led the way through the crowd. "Not a lot of Shade around here," Dreamcrusher commented as they slid past a burly snapper. "It prefers dark, moist crevices," Starsinger replied. "The Earth domain is anything but. I figure the shock of the established territories, upon its return, caused it to retreat to the most suitable region -- that being the Shadow flight. It's been regrouping since, and has begun to expand to the Light." This fact made Starsinger frown even as she shared it. "Earth and Plague's borders have been very helpful in keeping it contained, but it's grown stronger," she continued. "If it's able to expand across Light outright -- thanks to [i]you[/i] -- it could easily find a way across the ocean to Nature. Lightweaver forbid if it manages to brave the Plague flight; Wind's territory would also prove the perfect environment for it to grow." She shook her head. "We have to act quickly." Dreamcrusher let out a puff of air, and when Starsinger turned to look, the taller dragon was biting back laughter. "What?" she demanded. "Nothing," he replied. "I just found it funny that Plague was keeping it back." Starsinger found that to be a stupid thing to laugh at. Of course Plague kept it back. Plague kept [i]everything[/i] back. She decided to not entertain the bait he was clearly laying out for her, even if it was an attempt to bond. As luck would have it, a large building came into their sight. Starsinger's wings fluttered. "That looks like an archive," she told Dreamcrusher. "I bet we can find more information there!" Without waiting for a response, she leapt into the air to glide over the heads of the surrounding dragons. The clink of metal and feathers from behind told her Dreamcrusher had followed. The Archives were beautiful. Gleaming marble flooring, obviously kept up with diligently by whatever dragons maintained the place. Like the streets, though not to the extent of them, this place was filled with dragons, chatting quietly about their readings. Near the other end of the grand hall, Starsinger could see a huge imperial trying to read a fantasy tome to a gaggle of hatchlings, which were crawling all over him with reckless abandon. [i]This[/i] was the meaning of it all. [i]This[/i] was what Starsinger was working towards. Making sure that every dragon had a future, unthreatened by a force such as the Shade. As if the Lightweaver were perched on her shoulder, Starsinger quickly understood where to look. She took off across the library, past a Bogsneak that looked a bit disheartened to not get a chance to offer her help to Starsinger. Dreamcrusher offered a quick apology as he darted after her. "I'm surprised you can read, since you didn't know how many deities there are," Dreamcrusher said as Starsinger precariously balanced a stack of books taller than she was. "Stop being omniscient," Starsinger replied, not looking up. She selected her first tome, carefully opened it, and began reading against a pile of furs. Dreamcrusher sniffed derisively and took a small stack, himself, settling down next to her. They spent the day poring over books regarding Sornieth's history. Here, Starsinger was pleasantly informed of [i]how[/i] the Pillar fell to begin with; the blundering of a then-young deity, the Arcanist. She decided that [i]he[/i] was her [i]least[/i] favorite. What an idiot. Her Brilliance, the majestic Lightweaver, would have never allowed such a thing to happen, much less in her name. The clarity afforded to her by the company of the Lightweaver in her mind gave Starsinger the ability to read through these easily. It was all new information to her, but she found it easy to understand as if it were her second reading of it. The Lightweaver's loving glow touched all corners of her mind, filling it with knowledge. As Starsinger was finishing her last book, Dreamcrusher let out a groan. Looking over proved her suspicions that he was, in fact, not even halfway through the first book he had grabbed. Not that it mattered; she hadn't needed his help for this, not when she had the help of someone so much better. "Are you done?" he asked, barely lifting his head from the now-closed cover. "Just about," Starsinger agreed. "We'll find some lodging here and go to the nearby market first thing tomorrow morning, for supplies. After that, we'll head to the Court." That caught his attention, and Dreamcrusher blinked at her in surprise as she began to clean up her storm of finished books and scrolls. "The Court?" he echoed. "I thought [i]you[/i] were rebuilding it." "I'm [i]re-populating[/i] it," Starsinger corrected. "The location still exists. I just have to recruit dragons to help us." Granted, Starsinger knew not much more than the Court's location. That didn't mean Dreamcrusher had to know that. [color=white].[/color] ----- [color=white].[/color] The market went smoothly. It was somehow even more crowded than the cave city, but they made their trip quick. Then they were in the air, heading towards their destination. Their flight path led them towards and beyond the World Pillar. As they passed the structure, Starsinger couldn't help but crane her neck to stare. There was [i]lettering[/i] inscribed along it. She could clearly see which part had housed which deity. This had been not only a weapon of defense, but a [i]work of art.[/i] Past the World Pillar was a crevice, wider across than the ocean border separating Earth from Nature. This was where they were heading. The two dragons swooped downwards until they were within the crevice. [i]The whole of Terraclae could fit here,[/i] Starsinger thought. Then a platform came into view. Like the Archive, this was gleaming marble and beautiful. It stretched across the entire ravine, like a bridge. Only it wasn't at the top of the trench, but closer to the middle, which made it useless for the purposes of a bridge. No, this was truly a platform for dragons visiting. And, looking over, the platform led right into a tall, ornate opening. It had all the grandeur of a castle, with spiraling architecture and large, glowing, crystal doors. Squinting, Starsinger realized that this marble platform was retractable. That meant... She and Dreamcrusher perched on the platform. It appeared smooth from a distance, but up close she could see that it was bumpy and perfectly carved to make gripping and landing easier for visiting dragons. She turned towards the castle entrance while Dreamcrusher righted himself, and tried to appear undisturbed. There were dragons waiting for them in front of the castle. Three, in fact. One was an obelisk, a pale peach color with baby blue stripes. Her golden mane shimmered against the sun's reflection on the doors. She wore a pastel tailcoat over similar formalwear, and her wings were folded neatly behind her. Next to her stood a taller, but not necessarily larger, guardian. Her scales were a warm, pinkish brown marked with spiraling cherub loops. Her wings, patterned with ocean waves, were pinker. She wore a brown aviator coat and was clearly armed with a bandolier. She stood protectively next to the obelisk, and Starsinger came to the conclusion that the two were mates. Most perplexing was the dragon in the center. A young, iridescent, indigo wildclaw. Small, pink, vestigal fireflies floated around him -- a genetic trait, Starsinger assumed. He wore steampunk armor, but most notably, he was looking right at Starsinger. "Looks like the Court's started without you," Dreamcrusher murmured. Starsinger tried not to lash her tail. Who were these dragons, and what right did they have to intrude on the Lightweaver's mission? She shook her head, indicating for Dreamcrusher to remain cordial, and led the way forward. "Visitors," said the obelisk warmly. "It's great to finally meet. We've been expecting you." Starsinger didn't answer. She was looking at the wildclaw, who was staring right back. "I don't think these are the right dragons," said the guardian in a low voice to the obelisk. "Nonsense, dear," said the obelisk. She turned back to the newcomers. "Starsinger and Dreamcrusher, right?" Starsinger's head snapped to the obelisk. She felt her mane prickle. "Who are you?" That seemed to appease the obelisk, which infuriated Starsinger. She glanced at Dreamcrusher, who looked very amused, and tried not to stomp on his tail. Then, the obelisk spoke. "My name is [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/91423177]Angora[/url]," she said. She gestured to the guardian, and then the wildclaw. "This is [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/91697992]Cutlass [/url]and [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/91782251]Zettai[/url]. You're lucky the Lightweaver gave us early notice your presence. The Heavenly Court is a sacred space, and we usually attack trespassers on site." Angora didn't wait for them to react, she simply turned towards the castle entrance. "Come in, we have quite a bit to discuss with you." She clapped, a powerful ringing that sounded across the entire chasm. As she did, Starsinger felt the platform under her move, and she and Dreamcrusher quickly flitted to stand in front of the castle entrance beside the other dragons. She watched as the platform slid slowly towards them, until it was neatly tucked underneath. As soon as it came to a stop, the crystal doors began to rumble inwards, revealing a foyer not unlike the Terraclae Archives. Starsinger followed as the other three dragons led the way inside, and couldn't keep herself from staring at it all. "This is our home," said Angora. Her tone was warm and inviting, but Starsinger couldn't help but feel an undercurrent of irritation. That was fair, she supposed, if they truly had been here the whole time. "As far as you need to know," the obelisk continued, "Cutlass and I moved to live here several moons ago. It was a responsibility given to me by my mentor." "Your mentor?" Starsinger echoed. "Are you followers of the Lightweaver?" "We're believers in the good of Sornieth," Angora corrected. "I grew up in the Water flight, but the disappearance of the Tidelord left me feeling lost, theistically. I found solace in a dragon who had been passed down stories of the original Heavenly Court, and followed his teachings." "And you?" Dreamcrusher put in, nodding to Cutlass. The Guardian bared her teeth. "I'm her partner," she growled. "Of course I'm helping her." Dreamcrusher looked like he wanted to prod further, but Starsinger quickly spoke over him. "So, you've been living here? For what purpose?" Her tone had changed; now she was curious, rather than challenging. Hearing about Angora's religion had made her feel that there was a shared experience between them. "To keep it suitable for our future occupants, of course," Angora said. "The Heavenly Court is not a well-known topic. We're also meant to aid in the actual process of it and the Pillar's rebuilding." Starsinger's chest glowed with satisfaction. She'd been right about her mission! Which meant she would be sounding only a [i]little[/i] like an idiot to these dragons, who knew more than her! Before she could speak further, Angora turned to her mate. "Cutlass, love, would you show Dreamcrusher to his chamber, and get Zettai settled? I have to speak with Starsinger." Cutlass nodded, and for once Dreamcrusher didn't argue as he was led away. He did, however, shoot Starsinger an incredulous look. "I'm sorry for our intrusion," Starsinger began, determined to start things on the right talon. Angora waved her words away. "No need," she replied. "The three of us have been here, alone, for so long, so we were more prickly than necessary. The Lightweaver only told us of your upcoming arrival a couple days ago. We were under-prepared and irritable. That's part of the reason Cutlass is leading Dreamcrusher to a room instead of allowing him to wander; the rest of them are a mess!" And then Angora shot Starsinger a mischievous smile, and the pearlcatcher felt that this arrangement would be okay. "So, what's going on here?" she asked. "That wildclaw -- Zettai? He seems very young." "He [i]is[/i] very young," Angora agreed. "Like I said, we moved here a few moons ago. We moved here with his egg." That startled Starsinger. "Oh! Um, congratulations?" Angora let out a bark of a laugh. "Well, thank you. We did raise him, and consider him our own. His egg was special, though. It was given to us by my mentor -- otherwise, I've no idea where it came from. He is to be the Court's Arcanist." She blinked. "That's a deity," she corrected. Unless they intended to take the title of a being higher than themselves... which... Well, in for a penny. But she hadn't exactly signed up for blasphemy. "You'll learn the Court's model as we work together," Angora assured her. "The Arcanist is the Heavenly Court's most important component. He is the one who will actually [i]do[/i] the rebuilding. It's a symbol, sort of; the Arcanist has to be an Arcane magic user, and therefore they 'fix' the wrongdoing of their predecessor." "I see," said Starsinger. "What else is needed? Rebuilding the World Pillar seems an impossible task." This was her first admission; somehow, Angora felt safe to confide this in. "It does, doesn't it?" she replied with a rumbling chuckle. "Well, we do need everything a clan needs; scouts for hunting and patrolling, some dragons to take care of gardening and cooking, knights to guard us from dangers and to protect our Arcanist, and then the Court itself -- we already have you, our Oracle, and Zettai, our Arcanist. I assume Dreamcrusher will take the role of your Advisor. After that, we just need a Matriarch and her Heir." Angora had Starsinger's understanding attention until she started talking about the Court's roles. "I suppose Dreamcrusher [i]is[/i] advising me," she agreed, "but what is a Matriarch and Heir for?" "Think of the Matriarch as a symbol," Angora explained. "While you do the organizing behind the scenes, the Matriarch will deliver orders and figuratively lead the Court." Some would become uncomfortable, even bothered, by the idea of giving up the glory of leadership. Not Starsinger, though. The idea of addressing an entire clan every day sounded awful. She didn't mind this arrangement at all. "You see, the Court -- that is, the castle -- is magic, just like us dragons," Angora said. "As the figurehead of the Court, the Matriarch becomes imbued with the power of the Court's loyalty and belief in the cause. The Arcanist is able to channel this energy. We believe this will restore the Pillar." "...And the Heir?" "Well, same as any other Heir!" Angora chirped. "They'll train as the Matriarch's understudy should something happen." That all made sense. Starsinger nodded, taking a moment to process all of the new information. Angora seemed to pick up on this. "Here, I'll walk you to your own chamber," Angora offered. "We can go over everything else at a later time." "Thank you," Starsinger replied, and she meant it. She took Angora's talons in her own. "I'll admit I was a bit upset at first, to find out there were already other dragons here. Being the Lightweaver's chosen made me feel special. But I'm really relieved to have your guidance. You seem really knowledgeable." "I understand that," Angora replied, squeezing Starsinger's smaller talons. "We were [i]both[/i] a bit prickly at the start. Let's just agree to start off tomorrow on a better path." Starsinger nodded. The last months' travel had finally begun to take its toll on her, and she felt as though her wings were weighed down by the sky itself. "You're right," she said. "And I'm glad to have a real place to rest." "Of course," Angora said. She opened a wing and led the way up the stairs, into a warm room. It was a bit dusty, like an old library, but that was exactly how Starsinger liked it, which she realized was a new development. Starsinger thanked Angora again, and settled into a round bed piled with soft furs. Several rooms over, she could just barely make out the sound of Dreamcrusher doing... something with his helmet on. She assumed he was testing the acoustics of his room, or something. She rolled over, staring up at the ceiling. They'd made it. Now they just had to recruit the Court's dragons. Today and tonight, she would rest. Tomorrow, she'd begin a plan to find their Matriarch. [color=white].[/color] [center] [size=2][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/1#post_3306725]Directory[/url] | [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725/2#post_56062975]Previous [/url][/b][/size] [color=white].[/color] [size=2][b][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3306725#post_55993571]Start from beginning[/url][/b][/size][/center] [color=white].[/color] [center][pinglist=18661][pinglist=18660][/center] [color=white].[/color] ----- [color=white].[/color] Aaaand that's the end of the Creation arc! Thanks to everyone that stuck with it. Let me know what you thought! I wrote a [i]ton[/i] while working on this, and I don't want to get totally burnt out, so I'm going to take a bit of a break before I start on the next arc, which is going to be called "The Coronation!" It'll probably be a little shorter, but oh well. This was also a bit of an infodump, but if you read this far, you're invested now so I assume it doesn't matter, lol. Thanks for reading!!
The Heavenly Court of the Fallen Pillar
The Creation; Part 5
Start from beginning
Directory | Previous
. .
soe.gif

As Starsinger and Dreamcrusher flew across the Tangled Wood, they spoke. Not of anything of importance, hardly did they share information, in fact; Starsinger had already told Dreamcrusher everything there was to know about her, and Dreamcrusher had tacitly offered nothing. Starsinger hadn't noticed, of course; she had naturally assumed that what she'd witnessed made up the entire whole of the dragon flying beside her.

Below them, the trees began to thin out in favor of rocky ledges which made way for cliffs. Moving quick as they were, one could imagine the pines drying out and dying in the suddenly-appearing, earthy world.

Starsinger was not watching the pines be drained of their essence. She was staring straight ahead, her flight speed increasing with each flap.

The remains of the World Pillar had come into view.

Then again, how could it not have? For being the "remains," it skewered the dawn sky above as if the stars were dewdrops on a spider's web. Starsinger could just barely make out a few floating, crumbled pieces at the very top.

Dreamcrusher let out a low whistle, which would have scared Starsinger right out of the air if it had been amplified by his usual helmet.

"Well, it looks just fine to me," the skydancer commented. "Perhaps your services aren't needed after all."

Starsinger scoffed. "The cult you dissolved two weeks ago would say otherwise."

Their first destination would be Terraclae; the cave city just at the edge of the territory, formed from an old quarry. Starsinger intrinsically knew that this would be a good beginning, and this feeling was confirmed as they drew closer. It was crowded wall-to-wall with dragons, talking and socializing among one another, even this early in the day. If Dreamcrusher's underground chambers had been stifling, this was suffocating.

They managed to find a clearing and landed. Even here, in a large crater that was the equivalent of several stories underground, the Pillar was still visible. The very sight made Starsinger's wings shudder.

When Starsinger returned to reality, Dreamcrusher was tying an adorned ribbon through his helmet, so that it hung easily from his wing. Efficient, she decided, and led the way through the crowd.

"Not a lot of Shade around here," Dreamcrusher commented as they slid past a burly snapper.

"It prefers dark, moist crevices," Starsinger replied. "The Earth domain is anything but. I figure the shock of the established territories, upon its return, caused it to retreat to the most suitable region -- that being the Shadow flight. It's been regrouping since, and has begun to expand to the Light." This fact made Starsinger frown even as she shared it.

"Earth and Plague's borders have been very helpful in keeping it contained, but it's grown stronger," she continued. "If it's able to expand across Light outright -- thanks to you -- it could easily find a way across the ocean to Nature. Lightweaver forbid if it manages to brave the Plague flight; Wind's territory would also prove the perfect environment for it to grow." She shook her head. "We have to act quickly."

Dreamcrusher let out a puff of air, and when Starsinger turned to look, the taller dragon was biting back laughter.

"What?" she demanded.

"Nothing," he replied. "I just found it funny that Plague was keeping it back."

Starsinger found that to be a stupid thing to laugh at. Of course Plague kept it back. Plague kept everything back. She decided to not entertain the bait he was clearly laying out for her, even if it was an attempt to bond.

As luck would have it, a large building came into their sight. Starsinger's wings fluttered. "That looks like an archive," she told Dreamcrusher. "I bet we can find more information there!" Without waiting for a response, she leapt into the air to glide over the heads of the surrounding dragons. The clink of metal and feathers from behind told her Dreamcrusher had followed.

The Archives were beautiful. Gleaming marble flooring, obviously kept up with diligently by whatever dragons maintained the place. Like the streets, though not to the extent of them, this place was filled with dragons, chatting quietly about their readings. Near the other end of the grand hall, Starsinger could see a huge imperial trying to read a fantasy tome to a gaggle of hatchlings, which were crawling all over him with reckless abandon.

This was the meaning of it all. This was what Starsinger was working towards. Making sure that every dragon had a future, unthreatened by a force such as the Shade.

As if the Lightweaver were perched on her shoulder, Starsinger quickly understood where to look. She took off across the library, past a Bogsneak that looked a bit disheartened to not get a chance to offer her help to Starsinger. Dreamcrusher offered a quick apology as he darted after her.

"I'm surprised you can read, since you didn't know how many deities there are," Dreamcrusher said as Starsinger precariously balanced a stack of books taller than she was.

"Stop being omniscient," Starsinger replied, not looking up. She selected her first tome, carefully opened it, and began reading against a pile of furs.

Dreamcrusher sniffed derisively and took a small stack, himself, settling down next to her.

They spent the day poring over books regarding Sornieth's history. Here, Starsinger was pleasantly informed of how the Pillar fell to begin with; the blundering of a then-young deity, the Arcanist. She decided that he was her least favorite. What an idiot. Her Brilliance, the majestic Lightweaver, would have never allowed such a thing to happen, much less in her name.

The clarity afforded to her by the company of the Lightweaver in her mind gave Starsinger the ability to read through these easily. It was all new information to her, but she found it easy to understand as if it were her second reading of it. The Lightweaver's loving glow touched all corners of her mind, filling it with knowledge.

As Starsinger was finishing her last book, Dreamcrusher let out a groan. Looking over proved her suspicions that he was, in fact, not even halfway through the first book he had grabbed. Not that it mattered; she hadn't needed his help for this, not when she had the help of someone so much better.

"Are you done?" he asked, barely lifting his head from the now-closed cover.

"Just about," Starsinger agreed. "We'll find some lodging here and go to the nearby market first thing tomorrow morning, for supplies. After that, we'll head to the Court."

That caught his attention, and Dreamcrusher blinked at her in surprise as she began to clean up her storm of finished books and scrolls.

"The Court?" he echoed. "I thought you were rebuilding it."

"I'm re-populating it," Starsinger corrected. "The location still exists. I just have to recruit dragons to help us."

Granted, Starsinger knew not much more than the Court's location. That didn't mean Dreamcrusher had to know that.
The market went smoothly. It was somehow even more crowded than the cave city, but they made their trip quick. Then they were in the air, heading towards their destination.

Their flight path led them towards and beyond the World Pillar. As they passed the structure, Starsinger couldn't help but crane her neck to stare. There was lettering inscribed along it. She could clearly see which part had housed which deity.

This had been not only a weapon of defense, but a work of art.

Past the World Pillar was a crevice, wider across than the ocean border separating Earth from Nature. This was where they were heading. The two dragons swooped downwards until they were within the crevice. The whole of Terraclae could fit here, Starsinger thought.

Then a platform came into view. Like the Archive, this was gleaming marble and beautiful. It stretched across the entire ravine, like a bridge. Only it wasn't at the top of the trench, but closer to the middle, which made it useless for the purposes of a bridge. No, this was truly a platform for dragons visiting.

And, looking over, the platform led right into a tall, ornate opening. It had all the grandeur of a castle, with spiraling architecture and large, glowing, crystal doors. Squinting, Starsinger realized that this marble platform was retractable. That meant...

She and Dreamcrusher perched on the platform. It appeared smooth from a distance, but up close she could see that it was bumpy and perfectly carved to make gripping and landing easier for visiting dragons. She turned towards the castle entrance while Dreamcrusher righted himself, and tried to appear undisturbed.

There were dragons waiting for them in front of the castle. Three, in fact.

One was an obelisk, a pale peach color with baby blue stripes. Her golden mane shimmered against the sun's reflection on the doors. She wore a pastel tailcoat over similar formalwear, and her wings were folded neatly behind her.

Next to her stood a taller, but not necessarily larger, guardian. Her scales were a warm, pinkish brown marked with spiraling cherub loops. Her wings, patterned with ocean waves, were pinker. She wore a brown aviator coat and was clearly armed with a bandolier. She stood protectively next to the obelisk, and Starsinger came to the conclusion that the two were mates.

Most perplexing was the dragon in the center. A young, iridescent, indigo wildclaw. Small, pink, vestigal fireflies floated around him -- a genetic trait, Starsinger assumed. He wore steampunk armor, but most notably, he was looking right at Starsinger.

"Looks like the Court's started without you," Dreamcrusher murmured.

Starsinger tried not to lash her tail. Who were these dragons, and what right did they have to intrude on the Lightweaver's mission? She shook her head, indicating for Dreamcrusher to remain cordial, and led the way forward.

"Visitors," said the obelisk warmly. "It's great to finally meet. We've been expecting you."

Starsinger didn't answer. She was looking at the wildclaw, who was staring right back.

"I don't think these are the right dragons," said the guardian in a low voice to the obelisk.

"Nonsense, dear," said the obelisk. She turned back to the newcomers. "Starsinger and Dreamcrusher, right?"

Starsinger's head snapped to the obelisk. She felt her mane prickle. "Who are you?"

That seemed to appease the obelisk, which infuriated Starsinger. She glanced at Dreamcrusher, who looked very amused, and tried not to stomp on his tail. Then, the obelisk spoke.

"My name is Angora," she said. She gestured to the guardian, and then the wildclaw. "This is Cutlass and Zettai. You're lucky the Lightweaver gave us early notice your presence. The Heavenly Court is a sacred space, and we usually attack trespassers on site."

Angora didn't wait for them to react, she simply turned towards the castle entrance. "Come in, we have quite a bit to discuss with you."

She clapped, a powerful ringing that sounded across the entire chasm. As she did, Starsinger felt the platform under her move, and she and Dreamcrusher quickly flitted to stand in front of the castle entrance beside the other dragons. She watched as the platform slid slowly towards them, until it was neatly tucked underneath.

As soon as it came to a stop, the crystal doors began to rumble inwards, revealing a foyer not unlike the Terraclae Archives. Starsinger followed as the other three dragons led the way inside, and couldn't keep herself from staring at it all.

"This is our home," said Angora. Her tone was warm and inviting, but Starsinger couldn't help but feel an undercurrent of irritation. That was fair, she supposed, if they truly had been here the whole time.

"As far as you need to know," the obelisk continued, "Cutlass and I moved to live here several moons ago. It was a responsibility given to me by my mentor."

"Your mentor?" Starsinger echoed. "Are you followers of the Lightweaver?"

"We're believers in the good of Sornieth," Angora corrected. "I grew up in the Water flight, but the disappearance of the Tidelord left me feeling lost, theistically. I found solace in a dragon who had been passed down stories of the original Heavenly Court, and followed his teachings."

"And you?" Dreamcrusher put in, nodding to Cutlass.

The Guardian bared her teeth. "I'm her partner," she growled. "Of course I'm helping her."

Dreamcrusher looked like he wanted to prod further, but Starsinger quickly spoke over him. "So, you've been living here? For what purpose?" Her tone had changed; now she was curious, rather than challenging. Hearing about Angora's religion had made her feel that there was a shared experience between them.

"To keep it suitable for our future occupants, of course," Angora said. "The Heavenly Court is not a well-known topic. We're also meant to aid in the actual process of it and the Pillar's rebuilding."

Starsinger's chest glowed with satisfaction. She'd been right about her mission! Which meant she would be sounding only a little like an idiot to these dragons, who knew more than her!

Before she could speak further, Angora turned to her mate. "Cutlass, love, would you show Dreamcrusher to his chamber, and get Zettai settled? I have to speak with Starsinger."

Cutlass nodded, and for once Dreamcrusher didn't argue as he was led away. He did, however, shoot Starsinger an incredulous look.

"I'm sorry for our intrusion," Starsinger began, determined to start things on the right talon.

Angora waved her words away. "No need," she replied. "The three of us have been here, alone, for so long, so we were more prickly than necessary. The Lightweaver only told us of your upcoming arrival a couple days ago. We were under-prepared and irritable. That's part of the reason Cutlass is leading Dreamcrusher to a room instead of allowing him to wander; the rest of them are a mess!"

And then Angora shot Starsinger a mischievous smile, and the pearlcatcher felt that this arrangement would be okay.

"So, what's going on here?" she asked. "That wildclaw -- Zettai? He seems very young."

"He is very young," Angora agreed. "Like I said, we moved here a few moons ago. We moved here with his egg."

That startled Starsinger. "Oh! Um, congratulations?"

Angora let out a bark of a laugh. "Well, thank you. We did raise him, and consider him our own. His egg was special, though. It was given to us by my mentor -- otherwise, I've no idea where it came from. He is to be the Court's Arcanist."

She blinked. "That's a deity," she corrected. Unless they intended to take the title of a being higher than themselves... which... Well, in for a penny. But she hadn't exactly signed up for blasphemy.

"You'll learn the Court's model as we work together," Angora assured her. "The Arcanist is the Heavenly Court's most important component. He is the one who will actually do the rebuilding. It's a symbol, sort of; the Arcanist has to be an Arcane magic user, and therefore they 'fix' the wrongdoing of their predecessor."

"I see," said Starsinger. "What else is needed? Rebuilding the World Pillar seems an impossible task." This was her first admission; somehow, Angora felt safe to confide this in.

"It does, doesn't it?" she replied with a rumbling chuckle. "Well, we do need everything a clan needs; scouts for hunting and patrolling, some dragons to take care of gardening and cooking, knights to guard us from dangers and to protect our Arcanist, and then the Court itself -- we already have you, our Oracle, and Zettai, our Arcanist. I assume Dreamcrusher will take the role of your Advisor. After that, we just need a Matriarch and her Heir."

Angora had Starsinger's understanding attention until she started talking about the Court's roles. "I suppose Dreamcrusher is advising me," she agreed, "but what is a Matriarch and Heir for?"

"Think of the Matriarch as a symbol," Angora explained. "While you do the organizing behind the scenes, the Matriarch will deliver orders and figuratively lead the Court."

Some would become uncomfortable, even bothered, by the idea of giving up the glory of leadership. Not Starsinger, though. The idea of addressing an entire clan every day sounded awful. She didn't mind this arrangement at all.

"You see, the Court -- that is, the castle -- is magic, just like us dragons," Angora said. "As the figurehead of the Court, the Matriarch becomes imbued with the power of the Court's loyalty and belief in the cause. The Arcanist is able to channel this energy. We believe this will restore the Pillar."

"...And the Heir?"

"Well, same as any other Heir!" Angora chirped. "They'll train as the Matriarch's understudy should something happen."

That all made sense. Starsinger nodded, taking a moment to process all of the new information. Angora seemed to pick up on this.

"Here, I'll walk you to your own chamber," Angora offered. "We can go over everything else at a later time."

"Thank you," Starsinger replied, and she meant it. She took Angora's talons in her own. "I'll admit I was a bit upset at first, to find out there were already other dragons here. Being the Lightweaver's chosen made me feel special. But I'm really relieved to have your guidance. You seem really knowledgeable."

"I understand that," Angora replied, squeezing Starsinger's smaller talons. "We were both a bit prickly at the start. Let's just agree to start off tomorrow on a better path."

Starsinger nodded. The last months' travel had finally begun to take its toll on her, and she felt as though her wings were weighed down by the sky itself. "You're right," she said. "And I'm glad to have a real place to rest."

"Of course," Angora said. She opened a wing and led the way up the stairs, into a warm room. It was a bit dusty, like an old library, but that was exactly how Starsinger liked it, which she realized was a new development.

Starsinger thanked Angora again, and settled into a round bed piled with soft furs. Several rooms over, she could just barely make out the sound of Dreamcrusher doing... something with his helmet on. She assumed he was testing the acoustics of his room, or something.

She rolled over, staring up at the ceiling. They'd made it. Now they just had to recruit the Court's dragons.

Today and tonight, she would rest.

Tomorrow, she'd begin a plan to find their Matriarch.

. . .
Aaaand that's the end of the Creation arc! Thanks to everyone that stuck with it. Let me know what you thought! I wrote a ton while working on this, and I don't want to get totally burnt out, so I'm going to take a bit of a break before I start on the next arc, which is going to be called "The Coronation!" It'll probably be a little shorter, but oh well.

This was also a bit of an infodump, but if you read this far, you're invested now so I assume it doesn't matter, lol.

Thanks for reading!!
fr time +2
she/him
read my lore!
buy my art!
eratsa.gif
1 2