Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Polls
1 2
I don't know that I would want to see polls in suggestions forums. What if someone decides to only make options that support their suggestion? The poll would not accurately reflect the responses, but might influence other people's responses as the thread's life continues. Or when people refer back to it, "well, the poll on X thread says everyone was in favor of Y!" even if the comments don't reflect that. I feel like it's an easy way to skew a conversation in an OP's favor.
I don't know that I would want to see polls in suggestions forums. What if someone decides to only make options that support their suggestion? The poll would not accurately reflect the responses, but might influence other people's responses as the thread's life continues. Or when people refer back to it, "well, the poll on X thread says everyone was in favor of Y!" even if the comments don't reflect that. I feel like it's an easy way to skew a conversation in an OP's favor.
Click The Imperial Below to Get a Free Unhatched Egg!
X1e9cjr.gif
I think this is a good idea. Maybe there could be three set answers like "agree", "disagree ", or "no opinion". Then all the user has to do is supply the question they want answered, and that way it is harder to skew the outcome.
I think this is a good idea. Maybe there could be three set answers like "agree", "disagree ", or "no opinion". Then all the user has to do is supply the question they want answered, and that way it is harder to skew the outcome.
JKPdsMw.png XpMDNVA.png iT2WMr5.pngzuoA5Ua.png By Naze

Players can make all the polls they want, but it does not mean it will change a thing. The only polls that would have any chance of actual change would be ones that the Administration created.

It was a poll that stopped the Bears from being retired.

It was a poll that made the Crowns a re-cycled item.

I am not sure how much attention the Administration gives to player generated polls. Most the polls that are created can be artificially slanted to one way or the other because most of them allow multiple voting.

Only one created by the Administration and tied to the site could possibly prevent it.

Players can make all the polls they want, but it does not mean it will change a thing. The only polls that would have any chance of actual change would be ones that the Administration created.

It was a poll that stopped the Bears from being retired.

It was a poll that made the Crowns a re-cycled item.

I am not sure how much attention the Administration gives to player generated polls. Most the polls that are created can be artificially slanted to one way or the other because most of them allow multiple voting.

Only one created by the Administration and tied to the site could possibly prevent it.
Support for polls.
But I want official polls were better organized.
Last polls was unfortunately organized awful.
There should be big announcement post (not random comment or small sentence in dev.tracker. better with indicator visible on any page (notify or banner altering)

Reasonable amount of time to poll (again last pole was aborted and re-created 3 times within few days! I'm sure many players lost and didn't poll in final poll at all)
Support for polls.
But I want official polls were better organized.
Last polls was unfortunately organized awful.
There should be big announcement post (not random comment or small sentence in dev.tracker. better with indicator visible on any page (notify or banner altering)

Reasonable amount of time to poll (again last pole was aborted and re-created 3 times within few days! I'm sure many players lost and didn't poll in final poll at all)

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
An integrated polling system on-site would be nice I think. Both from an "staff wants to make a change" side and a "regular user wants other user's opinions for silly things" side.

The problem with offsite polling sites is they can be pretty easily manipulated. Many don't have any limits on how many times someone can vote or are easily skirted. On-site it would in theory be linked to your account so in theory it should be much harder to manipulate big decisions. I remember this being a concern during the Obbie flair vote.

Gaiaonline had a system like this for their forums. Regular users could make polls for whatever. I imagine most users would use it here for things like "which scry is better?" or "what's the most popular gene" or "flight demographics for forum posters" or whatever to accompany various discussions.

I could see it maybe not be something to be implemented in certain forums like Suggestions that value discussion more- because it'd probably feel like the substance-less "support/no support". But I think it'd be fine for like Dragon Share or FRD which is frequented with user polls anyway .
An integrated polling system on-site would be nice I think. Both from an "staff wants to make a change" side and a "regular user wants other user's opinions for silly things" side.

The problem with offsite polling sites is they can be pretty easily manipulated. Many don't have any limits on how many times someone can vote or are easily skirted. On-site it would in theory be linked to your account so in theory it should be much harder to manipulate big decisions. I remember this being a concern during the Obbie flair vote.

Gaiaonline had a system like this for their forums. Regular users could make polls for whatever. I imagine most users would use it here for things like "which scry is better?" or "what's the most popular gene" or "flight demographics for forum posters" or whatever to accompany various discussions.

I could see it maybe not be something to be implemented in certain forums like Suggestions that value discussion more- because it'd probably feel like the substance-less "support/no support". But I think it'd be fine for like Dragon Share or FRD which is frequented with user polls anyway .
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
I’d worry about the reliability of something like this, if it was going to determine actual directions the site would be taking and not just be like a fun conversation starter. Namely, I’m thinking about people using multiple accounts to vote

I do think community feedback is important, I’m just hesitant about this method of gauging it
I’d worry about the reliability of something like this, if it was going to determine actual directions the site would be taking and not just be like a fun conversation starter. Namely, I’m thinking about people using multiple accounts to vote

I do think community feedback is important, I’m just hesitant about this method of gauging it
1 2