Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Bring Lonan Your Three Word Prompts
[columns][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/316987/31698626_350.png[/img] [nextcol]"Greetings stranger! I see that you have found your way into my domain. I am the Master Librarian for Clan Hesperides, and I can only assume if you are here you are looking for a tale of some sort. We keep all manner of stories here in our Library; from lands where no dragon has ever set foot to simple tales traded from the nearest dragon clans. There is no telling what sort of treasure I will bring forth for you. All I require are three random words, and I will bring forth the tale that called you here. Feel free to linger as long as you wish, the Library is open to all comers. All I ask is that keep your wits about you. The magic of the written word is a chaotic thing and when you gather enough stories together they can take on a life of their own." [/columns] [i]Bring Lonan three random words and I will use them as inspiration to write the first thing that comes to mind. I'll ping you when I respond to your prompt automatically, but if you want to see what I come up with for other posts let me know and I'll ping you as well. You can post them here in the thread or message me directly, which ever you prefer. *No need to ping me, I'm subscribed*[/i] [center][img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/zm9cim6xw0oxgcb/shadowmidsmall2.png[/img][/center] [center][url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3304574#post_55875221]Fairy, Hardship, Tempt[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3304574#post_55878434]Brood, Toxic, Chaos[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3304574#post_55888003]Patient, Fog, Bowl[/url] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/cc/3177382/1#post_52624702]Drift, Library, Crystal[/url][/center]
31698626_350.png "Greetings stranger!

I see that you have found your way into my domain. I am the Master Librarian for Clan Hesperides, and I can only assume if you are here you are looking for a tale of some sort. We keep all manner of stories here in our Library; from lands where no dragon has ever set foot to simple tales traded from the nearest dragon clans. There is no telling what sort of treasure I will bring forth for you. All I require are three random words, and I will bring forth the tale that called you here.

Feel free to linger as long as you wish, the Library is open to all comers. All I ask is that keep your wits about you. The magic of the written word is a chaotic thing and when you gather enough stories together they can take on a life of their own."

Bring Lonan three random words and I will use them as inspiration to write the first thing that comes to mind. I'll ping you when I respond to your prompt automatically, but if you want to see what I come up with for other posts let me know and I'll ping you as well. You can post them here in the thread or message me directly, which ever you prefer.

*No need to ping me, I'm subscribed*

shadowmidsmall2.png
_______
You are
Shadowborn,
my child
4mTLFAP.png
...created when I
breathed life into
Shadow
[img]https://i.imgur.com/HCzRAan.png[/img] [b]Example Words:[/b] [i]Fairy, Hardship, Tempt[/i] It was a slow night, which was the only reason Herah hadn’t grabbed her things and just kept walking in spite of the rain. Comfort alone had not been enough to draw her, but it was pointless to continue as long as the rain lasted. Any trail that still lingered had been washed away within the first hour of the downpour that thundered down on the roof overhead. If she was going to have to sit tight until it stopped she might as well do it warm and with a full belly. The food might have been temptation enough to stop if she hadn’t been all too aware of what was at stake if she truly lost the trail. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d eaten something more complex than still dripping meat roasted over a fire or a biscuit far from fresh but still a few weeks from stone stale. A generous tip to the serving woman had gotten her drink topped off as well, a sweet cider still cool from the cellars. Or the owner had decided to invest in an ice working. Still, good food could only cover so many sins. The clamor of noise coming from her left where a long table had been taken over by a single party was wearing on her patience, breaking up the evening quiet with various cheers and scuffles as they celebrated amongst themselves. Herah made a point to keep an eye on them as she ate and then nursed what remained of her drink. She was alone and clearly female since she’d removed her travel cloak upon entering the common room. A combination almost guaranteed to draw some kind of attention, concerned or...otherwise. The sword still strapped to her back would either convince any trouble makers that she wasn’t worth the effort, or would prove to be its own sort of provocation. A quick read of the room could usually give her an inkling on which was the wind would blow, so to speak, but she wasn’t getting that vibe from any of the ones celebrating. She’d noted the quick glances they’d cast her way as she strode inside, easily marking her as a traveler and armed for such. She’d dismissed the serving woman’s suggestion of a room, content to bed down in the common room until the storm passed. If the men and women partying nearby got a little too deep into their cups and decided to question the traveler she would have to endure the rain. The urge to keep going was strong, the urgency that had driven her this far thrumming away until it was an actual struggle not to bounce one booted foot off the ground. It was pointless to continue when the trail was as good as gone. Rationally, she knew she had very little choice but to sit and wait for the rain to clear up, but that didn’t stop her from thinking maybe she could catch up, maybe even with the rain something will have remained long enough to point her in the right direction. Once she might have allowed the urgency to lead her, letting instinct and sharp edged compassion rule her. Herah snorted into her cider, and if it tasted bitter on her tongue for a moment, well that’s what happened when she let her thoughts wander down certain paths. She’d learned her lesson, but apparently she still needed the reminder every once in a while. Which was just as well, she couldn’t afford to make any mistakes, not if she had any hope of catching up before they reached the border. Not that she wasn’t set to follow them over it if it came to that. She was just hoping it didn’t. It would make things...complicated. “May I join you?” Herah startled, one had twitching towards the sword on her back before she mastered the impulse. She eyed the cloaked figure standing next to her small table with clear suspicion. The way the hood was still pulled up to conceal the majority of the woman’s face, and it was a woman judging from the voice although Herah wouldn’t bet all her coin on that assumption, made the back of Herah’s neck prickle. Not with alarm, just wariness. Lucky for the stranger curiosity won out over suspicion. “Sure,” Herah said. She nudged the opposite chair away from the table with a slight kick. She watched as the stranger took a seat and something about the way they moved was...interesting. “I can’t promise to be good company though,” Herah continued, taking another sip of cider. “It’s been a long few days.” “Yes, I imagine tracking slavers across the breadth of Kier has been quite the hardship.” Now that the woman was seated directly across from Herah, she could see what the cloak’s hood had managed to conceal until now. Herah hissed in shock, nearly knocking her mug of cider clear off the table. Even in the shadows still cast by the hood, she could clearly make out the all too familiar slit pupils and the faint glimmer of hair that would not be any color found amongst humans. “Fairy,” she said with another hiss. It took her a few seconds to overcome the shock of ending up face to face with one of the Fair Folk here of all places before she realized just what the woman had said. “You’ve been following me. What do you want?” The fairy laughed and it was a genuine surprise when everyone didn’t immediately turn to stare. Nothing mortal could laugh like that. At least it explained why she was still wearing her hood pulled up. If people knew one of the Fair Folk was sitting so close, well it was probably for the best they didn’t. It wouldn’t end well...for them and most of the surrounding village. “This is why I like your kind,” the fairy said. She smiled and Herah couldn’t figure out what it was about it that she found so unnerving until she realized it was as if the woman were copying a series of muscle movements. Her lips curved up and the corners of her eyes crinkled, but it lacked something. “Straight to the point without any careful conversation as we circle around the subject. Most refreshing.” Herah just raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to get to the point. “I have not been following you. Rather you have drawn a certain amount of attention.” “Whose attention?” Herah asked, wary. “Mine.” Another one of those smiles but Herah’s unease was swallowed by the way the woman’s eyes grew dark. It was as if her pupils suddenly began to grow until her eyes were solid black, glossy and bright from the shine of the braziers placed throughout the room. “I have watched you for some time, Herah. What was, what is, and what will be.” Sitting frozen, Herah came to the conclusion that she really should have kept slogging through the rain. Her mistake was holing up somewhere comfortable. She would bet that whoever this woman was, she had waited until she could be dry to have this conversation. Staying wet and miserable might have bought her some extra time before the fairy decided to have this little ‘chat’. Too late to mull over now but definitely something to consider the next time she was caught in a storm. “What do you want?” Herah asked again. She didn’t growl, but only just. “I want to offer you a deal,” the fairy said. “I’ll help you track down the slavers you are hunting before they reach the border, and in return I’ll need you to do something for me.” “For someone who appreciates me wanting to spell things out, you do seem to like talking in circles,” Herah pointed out with no little irritation. “I’m not going to agree until I know exactly what kind of price your help will saddle me with.” The fairy’s smile widened and Herah was startled to register an actual flash of warmth in the woman’s expression. As if she had been wearing an ill-fitting mask and let it slip for a moment. “Yes, I do believe I am rather fond of you, Herah. Even after everything, you are still very much...you.” “The price,” Herah said through gritted teeth. She was not going to grab for her sword and see just how fast a fairy could dodge. No matter how nice it played out in her head, Herah knew it wouldn’t be worth it. Or so she kept telling herself. “In return for helping you stop the slavers, I want you to guard me.” “What exactly would I be guarding you from?” Herah contemplated just getting up and walking away. One of the Fair Folk would never take the straight path if they could go in circles instead. For all the woman ‘appreciated’ her candor, it didn’t go so far as to try and emulate it. “And what do you need me for if you can see it coming?” Everyone and their mule knew not to mess with anyone who had the Sight. Since crossing one of the Fair Folk was equally foolish, a fairy with the Sight seemed as vulnerable as an acid-spitting wyvern. “Just because I can see the threat coming, doesn’t mean I will be able to thwart it,” the fairy says, with such nonchalance it made Herah wary all over again. The Fair Folk were notoriously proud, there was a reason the stories existed after all. Having one outright admit there was something she couldn’t do...that struck Herah as strange. “That’s why I need you.” The fairy leaned forward, her black eyes glinting in the half-light beneath the hood. “What say you, Child of Fire? My aid for your protection?” Herah drummed her fingers on the surface of the table as she thought. One felt off, her fingernail gone ragged after catching it on something. She didn’t know when it happened, but it had been irritating her all evening. Letting her focus shift inward, she willed heat to the finger with the lop-sided nail. There was a soft thunk as the ragged nail melted into a sharp black claw. Herah considered the impression the singular claw had made on the fire hardened wood before flicking her hand. The black claw vanished, replaced with a whole human fingernail. “I don’t think I will,” Herah finally said. “I appreciate the offer,” being polite wouldn’t hurt anything, “but there’s a lot here you aren’t telling me and I’m not going to agree to help you without knowing the full story.” Getting to her feet she reached into the small pouch at her waist and withdrew a few coppers. Leaving them on the table for the serving staff to pick up she offered the fairy a nod. “When you feel like telling me what you actually want, I’ll consider your offer of help. May the night see you well.” Herah strode out of the tavern without looking back, knowing that the fairy was watching her. Probably with the same smile as before with a flash of genuine amusement lighting up strange black eyes. It was no matter, Herah didn’t think for a moment that the fairy wouldn’t be back. Maybe the fairy showing up at all could be considered a warning in of itself. If one of the Fair Folk was willing to get involved, a Seer no less, then something big was coming. Whether it was a war or something else, she wanted someone like Herah close at hand. It would be intriguing if Herah weren’t already fixated on her current job. She stepped out into the rain and was relieved to see that the earlier downpour had waned into a steady drizzle. The trail was definitely washed away, but at least she wasn’t going to get soaked looking for where it picked up. The fairy would be back, Herah could feel it. But until then, she had some children to rescue.
HCzRAan.png

Example Words: Fairy, Hardship, Tempt

It was a slow night, which was the only reason Herah hadn’t grabbed her things and just kept walking in spite of the rain. Comfort alone had not been enough to draw her, but it was pointless to continue as long as the rain lasted. Any trail that still lingered had been washed away within the first hour of the downpour that thundered down on the roof overhead. If she was going to have to sit tight until it stopped she might as well do it warm and with a full belly.

The food might have been temptation enough to stop if she hadn’t been all too aware of what was at stake if she truly lost the trail. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d eaten something more complex than still dripping meat roasted over a fire or a biscuit far from fresh but still a few weeks from stone stale. A generous tip to the serving woman had gotten her drink topped off as well, a sweet cider still cool from the cellars. Or the owner had decided to invest in an ice working.

Still, good food could only cover so many sins. The clamor of noise coming from her left where a long table had been taken over by a single party was wearing on her patience, breaking up the evening quiet with various cheers and scuffles as they celebrated amongst themselves. Herah made a point to keep an eye on them as she ate and then nursed what remained of her drink. She was alone and clearly female since she’d removed her travel cloak upon entering the common room. A combination almost guaranteed to draw some kind of attention, concerned or...otherwise.

The sword still strapped to her back would either convince any trouble makers that she wasn’t worth the effort, or would prove to be its own sort of provocation. A quick read of the room could usually give her an inkling on which was the wind would blow, so to speak, but she wasn’t getting that vibe from any of the ones celebrating. She’d noted the quick glances they’d cast her way as she strode inside, easily marking her as a traveler and armed for such.

She’d dismissed the serving woman’s suggestion of a room, content to bed down in the common room until the storm passed. If the men and women partying nearby got a little too deep into their cups and decided to question the traveler she would have to endure the rain.

The urge to keep going was strong, the urgency that had driven her this far thrumming away until it was an actual struggle not to bounce one booted foot off the ground. It was pointless to continue when the trail was as good as gone. Rationally, she knew she had very little choice but to sit and wait for the rain to clear up, but that didn’t stop her from thinking maybe she could catch up, maybe even with the rain something will have remained long enough to point her in the right direction.

Once she might have allowed the urgency to lead her, letting instinct and sharp edged compassion rule her. Herah snorted into her cider, and if it tasted bitter on her tongue for a moment, well that’s what happened when she let her thoughts wander down certain paths. She’d learned her lesson, but apparently she still needed the reminder every once in a while. Which was just as well, she couldn’t afford to make any mistakes, not if she had any hope of catching up before they reached the border.

Not that she wasn’t set to follow them over it if it came to that. She was just hoping it didn’t. It would make things...complicated.

“May I join you?”

Herah startled, one had twitching towards the sword on her back before she mastered the impulse. She eyed the cloaked figure standing next to her small table with clear suspicion. The way the hood was still pulled up to conceal the majority of the woman’s face, and it was a woman judging from the voice although Herah wouldn’t bet all her coin on that assumption, made the back of Herah’s neck prickle. Not with alarm, just wariness.

Lucky for the stranger curiosity won out over suspicion. “Sure,” Herah said. She nudged the opposite chair away from the table with a slight kick. She watched as the stranger took a seat and something about the way they moved was...interesting. “I can’t promise to be good company though,” Herah continued, taking another sip of cider. “It’s been a long few days.”

“Yes, I imagine tracking slavers across the breadth of Kier has been quite the hardship.” Now that the woman was seated directly across from Herah, she could see what the cloak’s hood had managed to conceal until now.

Herah hissed in shock, nearly knocking her mug of cider clear off the table. Even in the shadows still cast by the hood, she could clearly make out the all too familiar slit pupils and the faint glimmer of hair that would not be any color found amongst humans. “Fairy,” she said with another hiss. It took her a few seconds to overcome the shock of ending up face to face with one of the Fair Folk here of all places before she realized just what the woman had said. “You’ve been following me. What do you want?”

The fairy laughed and it was a genuine surprise when everyone didn’t immediately turn to stare. Nothing mortal could laugh like that. At least it explained why she was still wearing her hood pulled up. If people knew one of the Fair Folk was sitting so close, well it was probably for the best they didn’t. It wouldn’t end well...for them and most of the surrounding village.

“This is why I like your kind,” the fairy said. She smiled and Herah couldn’t figure out what it was about it that she found so unnerving until she realized it was as if the woman were copying a series of muscle movements. Her lips curved up and the corners of her eyes crinkled, but it lacked something. “Straight to the point without any careful conversation as we circle around the subject. Most refreshing.”
Herah just raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to get to the point.

“I have not been following you. Rather you have drawn a certain amount of attention.”

“Whose attention?” Herah asked, wary.

“Mine.” Another one of those smiles but Herah’s unease was swallowed by the way the woman’s eyes grew dark. It was as if her pupils suddenly began to grow until her eyes were solid black, glossy and bright from the shine of the braziers placed throughout the room. “I have watched you for some time, Herah. What was, what is, and what will be.”

Sitting frozen, Herah came to the conclusion that she really should have kept slogging through the rain. Her mistake was holing up somewhere comfortable. She would bet that whoever this woman was, she had waited until she could be dry to have this conversation. Staying wet and miserable might have bought her some extra time before the fairy decided to have this little ‘chat’.

Too late to mull over now but definitely something to consider the next time she was caught in a storm. “What do you want?” Herah asked again. She didn’t growl, but only just.

“I want to offer you a deal,” the fairy said. “I’ll help you track down the slavers you are hunting before they reach the border, and in return I’ll need you to do something for me.”

“For someone who appreciates me wanting to spell things out, you do seem to like talking in circles,” Herah pointed out with no little irritation. “I’m not going to agree until I know exactly what kind of price your help will saddle me with.”

The fairy’s smile widened and Herah was startled to register an actual flash of warmth in the woman’s expression. As if she had been wearing an ill-fitting mask and let it slip for a moment. “Yes, I do believe I am rather fond of you, Herah. Even after everything, you are still very much...you.”

“The price,” Herah said through gritted teeth. She was not going to grab for her sword and see just how fast a fairy could dodge. No matter how nice it played out in her head, Herah knew it wouldn’t be worth it. Or so she kept telling herself.
“In return for helping you stop the slavers, I want you to guard me.”

“What exactly would I be guarding you from?” Herah contemplated just getting up and walking away. One of the Fair Folk would never take the straight path if they could go in circles instead. For all the woman ‘appreciated’ her candor, it didn’t go so far as to try and emulate it. “And what do you need me for if you can see it coming?” Everyone and their mule knew not to mess with anyone who had the Sight. Since crossing one of the Fair Folk was equally foolish, a fairy with the Sight seemed as vulnerable as an acid-spitting wyvern.

“Just because I can see the threat coming, doesn’t mean I will be able to thwart it,” the fairy says, with such nonchalance it made Herah wary all over again. The Fair Folk were notoriously proud, there was a reason the stories existed after all. Having one outright admit there was something she couldn’t do...that struck Herah as strange. “That’s why I need you.” The fairy leaned forward, her black eyes glinting in the half-light beneath the hood. “What say you, Child of Fire? My aid for your protection?”

Herah drummed her fingers on the surface of the table as she thought. One felt off, her fingernail gone ragged after catching it on something. She didn’t know when it happened, but it had been irritating her all evening. Letting her focus shift inward, she willed heat to the finger with the lop-sided nail. There was a soft thunk as the ragged nail melted into a sharp black claw. Herah considered the impression the singular claw had made on the fire hardened wood before flicking her hand. The black claw vanished, replaced with a whole human fingernail.

“I don’t think I will,” Herah finally said. “I appreciate the offer,” being polite wouldn’t hurt anything, “but there’s a lot here you aren’t telling me and I’m not going to agree to help you without knowing the full story.” Getting to her feet she reached into the small pouch at her waist and withdrew a few coppers. Leaving them on the table for the serving staff to pick up she offered the fairy a nod. “When you feel like telling me what you actually want, I’ll consider your offer of help. May the night see you well.”

Herah strode out of the tavern without looking back, knowing that the fairy was watching her. Probably with the same smile as before with a flash of genuine amusement lighting up strange black eyes. It was no matter, Herah didn’t think for a moment that the fairy wouldn’t be back.

Maybe the fairy showing up at all could be considered a warning in of itself. If one of the Fair Folk was willing to get involved, a Seer no less, then something big was coming. Whether it was a war or something else, she wanted someone like Herah close at hand.

It would be intriguing if Herah weren’t already fixated on her current job. She stepped out into the rain and was relieved to see that the earlier downpour had waned into a steady drizzle. The trail was definitely washed away, but at least she wasn’t going to get soaked looking for where it picked up.

The fairy would be back, Herah could feel it. But until then, she had some children to rescue.
_______
You are
Shadowborn,
my child
4mTLFAP.png
...created when I
breathed life into
Shadow
[img]https://i.imgur.com/HCzRAan.png[/img] [b]Example Words:[/b] [i]Brood, Toxic, Chaos[/i] Shoveling the last of the wyvern dung into the wheelbarrow, Elane blew out a breath that ruffled her bangs. Her sweat matted hair had escaped the wrap she’d used to tie it back and now it tickled the back of her neck. Considering that her gloves were smeared with wyvern dung, Elane was resigned to the irritation until she could steal a moment to clean up a little. She paused when she heard the distinctive clank of the main gate starting to rise, and groaned in frustration. Whatever chance she had of cleaning up, none-the-less snagging an early lunch from the kitchen was gone now. Stepping out of the small cave, Elane set her shovel aside to avoid anyone tripping over it. Having nearly ended up face first in a pile of wyvern dung her first week at Black Rock thanks to an unattended shovel, it was something she usually made a point of being careful about. It never hurt to be careful when dealing with wyverns. Crossing the large cavern, Elane headed for the rising gate, ignoring the various hisses of displeasure from each of the enclosures, all natural caves that had been fitted with steel doors to keep the wyverns inside contained. Seeing Kern in discussion with what looked to be a Rider, judging from the wyvern leathers Elane slowed her pace, but continued to make her way over. “...With no warning,” she heard as she got closer. Kern’s jaw was clenched tight with the force of his frustration, pulling the shiny skin of his scar tight across his cheekbone and temple. “We were en-route to the Peak when we got word that the roads were flooded.” To give the Rider credit, he wasn’t displaying any of the typical condescension that most Riders affected when talking to anyone who wasn’t a fellow Rider. “Normally I would try to push through, but the feral we’re transporting has already proven more vicious than most and I can’t say for sure that the wagon could hold her if we tried to wait it out anywhere else.” “Be that as it may, I don’t know if we have any enclosures available for your feral.” Seeing her walk up, Kern gestured for her to come closer. “Elane, Ser Adrian has a feral he needs confined until the road dries out after last night’s storm. Do we have any enclosures available?” Elane glanced at Kern, then at Ser Adrian. “You’re in luck. I just finished cleaning one out. It’s former occupant has gone back to the front so it’s yours if you need it.” Ser Adrian didn’t actually sag with relief, but it was obvious that if he weren’t trying to maintain the necessary decorum, he would have. “The gods be praised. If we were forced to continue I’m sure I would have had a mutiny on my hands.” His jaw firmed as he glanced back over his shoulder, where several soldiers waited, none of them doing a good job of concealing how uneasy they were surrounded by wyvern enclosures. Well, that explained that then. Riders might think themselves better than the average citizen, but even a wyvern hostler was better than a scared soldier. At least a hostler knew how to deal with a wyvern. The most they ever taught soldiers was how to stay out of biting range while on the battlefield. Not that it worked all the time. Ser Adrian gestured at the soldiers. “Bring the feral inside. We’ll wait here until the road dries out,” he called. Not bothering to conceal their relief the soldiers saluted and ran out to the wagon. As they waited Elane seized the moment to consider Ser Adrian’s wyvern mount. It was clearly a male judging from the spines that grew from the crown of its head to the base of its long neck. The bright copper scales that developed a blue tint from chin to belly was something she had never seen before, but it was common for the males to sport various colors. The males had the spines and the vibrant colors meant to attract attention. The females had much more drab colors, muted greys and browns, and spat a caustic venom that was considered one of the most toxic fluids this side of the Alirean Sea. It was far more common for wyvern mounts to be male, while females were generally reserved for times of war where specially trained handlers would ride them as an elite division of the cavalry. Nothing struck fear into the hearts of the enemy faster than the furious shriek of a female wyvern, followed by a stream of venom known to melt the flesh off a man’s bones in a handful of minutes. Since the soldiers were taking their time bringing the wagon, Elane took a few steps closer to Ser Adrian and gestured at his wyvern. “What’s his name?” She took it as another point in his favor when he smiled automatically as he looked up at the male wyvern. “This is Cladius. We’ve been paired up for almost five years now.” He chuckled and reached up to thump an open hand against a scaled shoulder. “For the entire first year I was convinced he was sizing me up to find the perfect place to take a bite. But I guess he decided I wasn’t worth the effort.” “Sounds about right,” Elane agreed. “Mind if I take a look at him?” Rather than give an immediate affirmative, Ser Adrian hesitated. “Is there a reason you need to? He was checked over by my unit’s hostler before we left so as far as I know he is as healthy as a wyvern gets.” Elane floundered around the explanation that she simply wanted to look at him. That he was a gorgeous wyvern and she wanted to see what she could pick out from his breeding. Luckily, Kern answered Ser Adrian for her. “Her family breeds wyverns,” Kern said, looking Cladius over himself with expert appraisal. “She’s probably forgotten more things about the beasts than you’ve ever learned.” Elane bit her tongue around the correction that her family ‘used’ to breed wyverns. Rather than get offended Ser Adrian looked intrigued. “Is that so? In that case go ahead.” He continued with a sheepish air, “If you do spot anything problematic can you let me know? I trust our hostler Aldric about as far as I can throw him. Enough to get the job done, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to turn down a second opinion.” Suddenly uncomfortable with the turn of the conversation, Elane nodded. “Sure. I doubt I’ll see anything, Cladius seems to be in prime condition but I’ll check just in case.” Taking a step forward, Elane let out a short whistle, followed by a quick tongue roll that was the closest a human could get to mimicking the typical wyvern’s friendly greeting. It was generally used with blood relatives since wyverns lived in matriarchal packs, with the dominant female, or Queen, ruling the others with sharp teeth and quick sprays of venom that kept the others in line. It was seeing their clan structures that first gave someone the idea that wyverns could be trained to work with humans. Cladius startled at the sound of her greeting, but didn’t hiss or mantle his wings. He cocked his head with obvious interest and returned the trill, lowering his head to get a better look at her. Must have come from a breeder then if he recognized the sound of a human trying to mimic the wyvern’s call. He remained calm when she took a step closer so she felt safe enough to blow out a quick breath aimed at his face. A wyvern’s sense of smell was one of their most vital, and gave him a chance to get her scent without doing something stupid like waving a hand in his face. She’d seen some idiot trainers do that, but only the once. When Cladius’ nostrils flared and he continued to remain passive, if curious, Elane finally stepped in close. Clicking under her tongue she ran light hands along the spines at the crown of his head, scratching her nails at the base of the largest. It wasn’t long before there was a low rumbling that could almost be called a purr, if a cat stood almost seventeen hands at the shoulder and sported two inch claws on all four feet. Once he was properly soothed and she had clarified he wouldn’t see her as a threat, she looked him over. His scales were smooth, almost slick beneath her fingers. Only a few areas had the telltale rough spots that hinted at future shedding. The bone spurs at his elbows, ankles, and knees were capped with sharp tips, when she tested the one at his left elbow she felt it shift beneath the pressure of her fingers. Frowning she looked closer at the others, but it was just the one that felt loose. His eyes were bright and clean around the edges, his ears had almost no scarring. The scales on Cladius’ face were pristine. Elane hesitated in her inspection when she came upon the control collar. It wasn’t the monstrosity she’d seen on some wyverns, which were little more than thick spell chains that never failed to crush the small scales along the neck and throat. This one was leather with a single shaped ruby stitched into place. When she checked the edges she was relieved to see that there weren’t any crushed scales or bruising, and Cladius didn’t shy away at letting her touch it. It was good to know that he didn’t associate it with pain. “You don’t use the control collar.” Elane didn’t look at Ser Adrian, not wanting to see the look on his face. “No, Cladius and I get along well.” There was a pause before he continued with, “He wouldn’t have one at all if I had it my way, but the army can’t risk losing control of a wyvern, so...the collars.” Looking at the simple black leather and the glint of the ruby made Elane want to grind her teeth. So many times she’d seen the collars in action, the way the runes lit up bright enough to sear across her vision even when she closed her eyes. The way the wyverns always screamed in pain, writhing and scratching at their neck and shoulders until they bled or the pain finally ended. While she understood why the collars made people feel safer, Elane knew through experience that no one who truly understood how to interact with wyverns needed one of those blasted collars. Growing up on a wyvern breeding farm, Elane had started learning the basics of what to do when she was only knee-high. She watched her grandfather and her father, and had worked alongside her sisters as they sought to truly understand the fierce creatures. They were predators without a doubt, but they weren’t mindless and to think of them as just animals with sharp teeth and claws, that was the true mistake. It had been her lifelong dream to become a Rider and had even begun the rudimentary training with one of their young wyverns. Normally she would have joined the Royal Wyvern corps and been given a wyvern once she proved she could survive the training, but for those with the means they were allowed to provide their own ‘mount’ as long as the beast passed inspection by the royal stables. But then the war had happened and the king sent out a decree that let the corps seize all eligible wyverns from any private breeding farms that didn’t have the means or connections to protect themselves. When the king’s men had come, they’d forced those blasted collars on all of the wyverns she’d grown up with and raised, and dragged them shrieking and snarling out of her life. Elane and her sisters had promptly joined the king’s service amongst the Wyvern Corps. They had little hope of finding their wyverns, but if they could, they could at least try and make sure they were treated right. Risel was a Rider herself now, after two years of training. Lida was still training to be a Rider. They were boarded at the same training hall, which had been a boon none of them had expected. They wrote letters back and forth, and in all of them there was always the unspoken question; had anyone seen their wyverns? Elane hadn’t had the heart to try for a Rider position, not when the only wyvern she’d ever wanted to ride was long gone, stolen out of her life and thrown into the grinding maw of war. She looked at the control collar around Cladius’ neck and it broke her heart to realize that it was the best case scenario for all the wyverns that had been taken. Better they have a collar than being put down and ‘harvested’. After all, wyvern hide was one of the best protections against the venom the females possessed. Once she finished her inspection and confirmed the wyvern was in good health, Elane gave Cladius one last firm rub to the sensitive skin just beneath his jaw. He trilled and extended his neck to urge her on, eyes falling half-lidded when she obliged him by dragging her nails along the ridge where the scales started to form armor just under his jaw. It was the pressure she was applying to the scales more than the actual scratching the wyvern was looking for. She knew those scales tended to be the most sensitive before a molt, and judging from the way Cladius was pressing his head down into her hand she assumed he was close to starting. When she finally stepped away Cladius heaved a sigh before standing straight once more, as if resigned to the limited attention. She thumped him on the shoulder with a laugh. “Don’t even try it. If your Rider doesn’t personally scrub you down once you start to molt I’ll be surprised.” She glanced at Ser Adrian, who was watching her with a keen attention that made her smile start to dim. He waited for a moment before nodding. “I do handle his molt. I was told it was normally something left for the hostlers to take care of, but I insisted.” Ser Adrian flicked a glance between Elane and Cladius. “He is my partner. He deserves no less.” Elane bit back the comment about that being a rather rare opinion amongst the Riders. “He is in excellent health,” she said instead. “He is about to start his molt so I would keep an eye on that, he might start getting irritable once the itching starts but I’m assuming you know how to deal with that. I would suggest getting the cap for the spur on his left foreleg replaced. It felt loose when I tested it and it will only serve to irritate him.” Ser Adrian considered her for a weighty moment before nodding. “Thank you. My unit’s hostler didn’t seem to notice it.” Elane shrugged. “It's a habit for me to check. It’s nothing urgent so I wouldn’t be too hard on your man.” “If he didn’t notice, I would say he didn’t do a thorough enough check.” Kern looked Cladius up and down before turning to Ser Adrian. “While you are here we’ll look over the rest of your unit.” His expression darkened. “And I think I’ll have a chat with the hostler attached to your unit.” Ser Adrian was saved from confirming or denying Kern’s offer when there was the low grind of the wagon approaching. As the wagon and the rest of its escort rolled in beneath the raised gate, Elane briefly considered letting Ser Adrian know that Kern’s offer wasn’t so much an offer as it was a declaration. Just the suggestion of a lazy hostler was enough to get Kern’s back up, and if it was just inexperience, well, that could be just as deadly if not more so for a unit meant to go into battle. Kern did not beat around the bush when it came to the safety of wyverns and everyone who interacted with them. Elane figured however he’d gotten that scar was serving as a vivid reminder of how badly some things could go wrong. The sound of the wagon and the rustle of the nearby wyverns as they paced inside their enclosures was drowned out by the furious shriek of an enraged wyvern. The ear shredding pitch it reached at the end made even Elane wince and she didn’t think twice about snagging Cladius’ lead and coaxing him over to Ser Adrian. The Rider was already stepping closer and he barely blinked when Elane was able to direct Cladius closer. “He’s fairly used to the racket by now,” Ser Adrian admitted, but he did make a point of taking the lead and drawing Cladius head down so he could rub underneath his chin. Elane noted how Cladius was dragging his hind claws through the loose dirt and that his crest spines were elevated but not yet rattling. “I can see that.” She stared askance at the wagon and the enraged feral it contained. There was another shriek and Elane winced, reflexively glancing at the surrounding enclosures set into the walls. No answering calls yet, but it would only be a matter of time before the rest of the wyverns started reacting. “You didn’t mention the feral was female.” Elane said, making a point to keep all censure out of her tone. Ser Adrian had seemed a strangely friendly sort for a Rider, but Elane wasn’t going to forget that he was a Rider. Not even the most laid-back would usually tolerate a simple hostler questioning them. “I did not and for that I am sorry.” Ser Adrian gestured to the wagon and the skittish horses that had been coaxed forward. “But as you can see I don’t have any other options. The horses will not pull the wagon much further and with the coming storm I cannot afford to have the wagon break down on the road.” There was another shriek and then a sharp hiss that Elane knew down to her bones. Every Rider and hostler learned to recognise the sound of a female in a feral rage. Considering it was usually followed by the wyvern unleashing her venom, it was a matter of life and death to recognize the signs. Eying the cage built into the back of the wagon, Elane doubted the wyvern would use her venom even in the grips of a feral rage. The enclosure was made out of solid wood and judging from the sheen that covered it, coated in enough reinforcement spells that they could probably dip the entire thing in a pool of wyvern venom and it would only sink to the bottom as if submerged in water. Wyvern females weren’t immune to the caustic properties of their own venom, leading to impressive scarring and warped scales around their faces and neck amongst the older beasts. Even as enraged as this female sounded, spitting her venom in the cage would only serve to cause herself harm. The cage was reinforced, but the wagon beneath it was not. Elane could see why Ser Adrian had been so adamant about finding a place to hole up and rest his men. It would give them a break from the raging feral and hopefully keep from fouling the wagon wheels in the muddy, pitted roads. If the wagon did founder, they would be trapped on the open road with a feral wyvern. Considering the spells reinforcing the cage were no doubt anchored in the wagon itself, it would only be a matter of time before she broke out and turned on them. It was a nasty situation all around and Elane’s respect for Ser Adrian increased considering how deftly he had managed to navigate the situation into the best possible outcome. Considering the wagon and the reinforced cage with its still hissing captive, Elane pressed her lips together. “How long has this wyvern been feral?” When a wyvern turned feral it was even odds whether the beast would be put down and harvested or carted off to the nearest stable in the hope it could still be used as a breeder. Any stable would leap at the chance to bring in some fresh blood but it was always a risk. Feral wyverns were just as likely to savage their intended mates as actually breed with them. Ser Adrian hesitated long enough to earn a raised brow before he said, “As far as I know this one has always been a feral.” Elane raised both eyebrows now, truly shocked. “She was born wild?” “No, from what I was told she was born on a farm, but went feral shortly after she was brought in to the Corps,” Ser Adrian said. He hesitated again before saying, “She’s too aggressive to breed and would have been put down except she has some of the most potent venom we’ve ever seen.” “Ah,” Elane said, understanding his reserve. It was dangerous to try on a feral but it wasn’t out of the realm of possibility to harvest wyvern venom. It wasn’t something she ever learned to do on her grandfather’s training farm since harvesting venom could cause the wyvern’s body to react by creating more than was healthy. They were still learning more about the wyverns every day it seemed and the drawback to the magic laced through their bodies was how sensitive and reactive they were. What made them clever and deadly mounts also made them somewhat delicate and they had to be handled carefully. Not that the Corps as a whole truly understood that, much to Elane’s continued frustration. “So what you’re saying is we have a female feral who is going to need to have the venom sacs emptied out before they become inflamed and she ends up being poisoned by her own venom. Do I have that right?” Ser Adrian gave her a sharp nod, which was rather unnecessary by that point but Elane appreciated his willingness to accept her frustration at face value. Sighing out loud would be unprofessional so Elane did it silently. “It will be a miracle if we all get through this intact,” she said quietly, slowly walking closer to the wagon. There was another shriek from inside the cage and the wagon shivered as the wyvern slammed against the side. There was no ‘hiss-snap’ of venom being spat out however, which was a good sign the wyvern was just feral and not falling into a frenzy. If the female did that there would be no saving her. Ferals could be coaxed back from the edge, but once a wyvern fell into a frenzy the only recourse was to put them down. Elane resisted the urge to rub just above the bridge of her nose, where a headache had already grown roots. It wouldn’t do to come off as unprofessional when everyone was already stretched to their limits with a feral wyvern just waiting to take a chunk out of somebody. It wasn’t an impossible situation, it would just take some careful maneuvering as well as a heap of luck. “How is she usually removed from the cage?” Elane asked, with the suspicion that she wasn’t going to like the answer. Ser Adrian didn’t disappoint, but in his defense he didn’t look happy about it either. “If she’s calm she can usually be coaxed out but if she’s being aggressive she’s usually fed drugged food. Once she’s asleep she’s hauled out and placed in her enclosure. If she won’t eat then they use the collar-”. Holding up a hand, Elane cut him off before he could explain the travesty of the Wyvern Corps methods of dealing with wyverns. “Of course. So we have a feral wyvern with inflamed venom sacs who associates humans with pain and suffering.” She stared at the cage, honestly not sure where to even start. When she glanced at Kern for possible guidance he just looked at her with one eyebrow lifted and Elane could feel the headache between her eyes grow teeth. Guess that rumor about Kern looking for a replacement wasn’t just the result of too many of her fellow hostlers breathing in the fumes while shoveling wyvern dung. She would have to decide later if she was appalled or proud. Kern would have one hell of a fight getting the higher ups to agree to a young woman taking his place so she wouldn’t worry about it until he made his choice ‘official’. There was another shriek and Elane decided she’d wasted enough time standing around. “How does she react to other wyverns?” she asked Ser Adrian. “She isn’t overtly aggressive with them,” he said, which was a relief. That would have been one hurdle too many considering how complicated the situation was already. “She isn’t what I would call friendly but she doesn’t attack on sight.” Not the best response but better than outright aggressive behavior. With one last glance at Kern, who was still waiting off to the side to make it clear this was her show to run, she approached the wagon and cage. Once she was close enough to smell the acid bite of the venom she stopped and considered her options. There was another shriek but once again no telltale hiss-snap of venom being released. Small favors but they added up. Her main goal was to try and get the wyvern to calm down. If she was calm Elane had a chance of getting her out of the cage without traumatizing her further. She should have asked Kern to have one of the other hostlers fetch the sedatives, but she felt as if asking for them was taking the easy way out. The wyvern deserved to be angry considering her treatment up until now and Elane wanted a chance to show Ser Adrian and his soldiers how it could be done if someone knew what they were doing. Now if only she knew what she was doing. It was impulse more than deliberate thought that had her putting her fingers to her lips and emitting a piercing whistle. It was two sharp tones, low and then high. Her grandfather’s farm hadn’t been big, but it was large enough to give the wyverns a decent amount of land to hunt and wander when they weren’t being kept in their separate enclosures. They’d been trained to associate the whistle with feeding time, and she had managed to break up a few disagreements amongst her scaly charges by having them immediately turn and race towards the gate in the hopes of being the first to eat. Not that they’d been fed randomly. They’d always made a point of observing the pack hierarchy amongst the wyverns and fed them accordingly. She hoped that the noise would be enough to garner the female’s interest. If Ser Adrian was correct and she came from a training farm then it was more than likely she would have grown up listening to various whistles. The low growling that had been emanating from the wagon since it was first rolled in cut off abruptly. Elane waited, heart suddenly beating faster with barely contained nerves. She almost couldn’t believe that had worked. With a quick glance at Ser Adrian she confirmed that he was also staring with wide eyes, equally surprised by the female’s response to her sharp whistle. Still standing next to Ser Adrian, Cladius let out a low rumble and extended his neck to nudge his rider. “I’m guessing he came from a breeder as well?” Elane asked, smiling. Ser Adrian reached up to rub Cladius snout. “From Redrock, one of the Corps’ main suppliers.” He scratched under Cladius’ chin. “You just ate so don’t think you’ll be getting anymore now.” Leaving rider and wyvern to their dinner negotiations, Elane started walking closer to the wagon. One of the nearby soldiers backed away quick enough he almost tripped over his own feet. Finally noticing them milling around, it was hard to focus on them when there were wyverns taking up her full attention, Elane waved them away. “Please step back, I’ll never be able to get her to calm down if she can still smell any of you nearby.” One of the soldiers, soaked from the rain that had been steadily pouring for the last half hour glared and opened his mouth, only for Ser Adrian to cut him off. “You heard hostler Elane. You may think this female is more trouble than she’s worth but I assure you, she feels the same way about all of us. Now let’s give the hostler some space.” With a mix of sullen silence and quiet grumbles, and in one case a muttered prayer that the crazy wyvern got to take a chunk out of the crazy woman, Elane was left alone next to the wagon. The still suspiciously quiet wagon. Kern stepped up beside her with a soft scuff of his boots. His arms were crossed over his chest and his lips were pressed together in a tight line. “You’re taking a big risk for very little gain, Elane. I know you’ve got a way with the beasts, but this one is a feral. Probably close to going into a frenzy judging from the sounds of those shrieks.” Elane nodded, biting back her immediate assurance that she could figure something out. “I think I have a chance. The female calmed down after hearing the whistle. She might be a feral but I believe she remembers a time when humans weren’t the enemy. If I can bring her back from the edge then I have to do something.” She didn’t say they needed all the cooperative females they could get, that wyvern venom was one of their greatest assets in war and letting a potent source go into a frenzy and be put down was a terrible waste. None of those reasons were why she wanted to save the wyvern, and Kern knew it. So she waited for him to tell her yes or no, trying not to think of what she might be driven to do if he did choose to deny her the chance. After a moment that might as well have been a small eternity, Kern shrugged. “Try it your way first. But if you get savaged just remember you aren’t allowed to quit.” “Well I do appreciate the job security,” Elane said under her breath as she slowly approached the wagon. The female had made no sound since Elane whistled, her continued silence almost eerie after the sustained growling and shrieking they’d been subjected to since her arrival. Taking a breath, Elane whistled again, a soft three tone call that she had once used as a greeting when approaching the wyverns that she was responsible for. It was something they all had done, creating a specific whistle that served as another method of recognition when the wyvern’s weren’t able to scent them. They’d each had their own whistle, and after a while the wyverns had started responding with their own short calls as well. It...hurt to think about, made Elane remember what her life had used to be like and how drastically everything had fallen apart. It was gone, stolen away by the king and his Royal Wyvern Corps no matter how much she wished she could bring it all back. She almost didn’t realize what she was hearing, the sounds were so soft. Little chirps that by all rights should have come from a bird. For a confused moment, Elane thought that a bird had managed to get in and had only now decided to reveal itself. It was certainly more believable than what her traitorous heart was thinking, the sound of that faint call alone enough to set her heart pounding.. She had to be imagining it. There was no way she could be that lucky. The odds of finding any of the wyverns from her family’s farm had been almost non-existent. To not only find one, but have it be this particular one...was it a dream? “Elane, what’s going on?” Kern asked. There was a soft scuff as he started to walk toward her, and Elane held out a hand to make him stop. “Stay back,” she said, heart in her throat. After so much grief, the first sliver of hope hurt like wyvern acid. The burn of it seemed to go straight through her. “I think I know this wyvern. I don’t want to spook her.” It took several attempts to wet her lips with her mouth suddenly gone dry. She whistled again, the same three tones, high-low-high. The chirps in response were louder and more confident, followed by a low rumble that made Elane’s heart twist. Hand pressed to her mouth she took several quick steps and climbed the back of the wagon. She ignored the panicked sounds behind her and went right up to the cage. No matter how much hope pushed her onward, Elane didn’t let it blind her. Rather than immediately sliding back the small door that would let her see inside, Elane whistled again. This time she used the whistle that she had only used for one wyvern. She held her breath with one hand pressed against the small latch, ignoring Ser Adrian as he called her name as well as Kern’s demand to know what she was doing. Instead she listened to the brief moment of silence from within the cage, and then the short chirps followed by a rumble purr that made her eyes go blurry from a sudden surge of unshed tears. Unlatching the lock and sliding the small barrier aside, she was greeted by a huff of wyvern breath carrying the acid bite of venom. A pair of achingly familiar gold eyes peered out at Elane, the familiar mask of black scales that gradually faded into gray lost within the gloom. “Nightingale,” Elane breathed, throat growing tight as her eyes started to burn. “By the gods Nightingale, I actually found you.” Touching her fingers to the smooth warmth of familiar scales just above the wyvern venom induced scars that had twisted Nightingale’s lips into a permanent snarl, Elane silently swore that she would not let this second chance slip away.
HCzRAan.png

Example Words: Brood, Toxic, Chaos

Shoveling the last of the wyvern dung into the wheelbarrow, Elane blew out a breath that ruffled her bangs. Her sweat matted hair had escaped the wrap she’d used to tie it back and now it tickled the back of her neck. Considering that her gloves were smeared with wyvern dung, Elane was resigned to the irritation until she could steal a moment to clean up a little. She paused when she heard the distinctive clank of the main gate starting to rise, and groaned in frustration. Whatever chance she had of cleaning up, none-the-less snagging an early lunch from the kitchen was gone now.

Stepping out of the small cave, Elane set her shovel aside to avoid anyone tripping over it. Having nearly ended up face first in a pile of wyvern dung her first week at Black Rock thanks to an unattended shovel, it was something she usually made a point of being careful about. It never hurt to be careful when dealing with wyverns.

Crossing the large cavern, Elane headed for the rising gate, ignoring the various hisses of displeasure from each of the enclosures, all natural caves that had been fitted with steel doors to keep the wyverns inside contained. Seeing Kern in discussion with what looked to be a Rider, judging from the wyvern leathers Elane slowed her pace, but continued to make her way over.

“...With no warning,” she heard as she got closer. Kern’s jaw was clenched tight with the force of his frustration, pulling the shiny skin of his scar tight across his cheekbone and temple.

“We were en-route to the Peak when we got word that the roads were flooded.” To give the Rider credit, he wasn’t displaying any of the typical condescension that most Riders affected when talking to anyone who wasn’t a fellow Rider. “Normally I would try to push through, but the feral we’re transporting has already proven more vicious than most and I can’t say for sure that the wagon could hold her if we tried to wait it out anywhere else.”

“Be that as it may, I don’t know if we have any enclosures available for your feral.” Seeing her walk up, Kern gestured for her to come closer. “Elane, Ser Adrian has a feral he needs confined until the road dries out after last night’s storm. Do we have any enclosures available?”

Elane glanced at Kern, then at Ser Adrian. “You’re in luck. I just finished cleaning one out. It’s former occupant has gone back to the front so it’s yours if you need it.”

Ser Adrian didn’t actually sag with relief, but it was obvious that if he weren’t trying to maintain the necessary decorum, he would have. “The gods be praised. If we were forced to continue I’m sure I would have had a mutiny on my hands.” His jaw firmed as he glanced back over his shoulder, where several soldiers waited, none of them doing a good job of concealing how uneasy they were surrounded by wyvern enclosures.

Well, that explained that then. Riders might think themselves better than the average citizen, but even a wyvern hostler was better than a scared soldier. At least a hostler knew how to deal with a wyvern. The most they ever taught soldiers was how to stay out of biting range while on the battlefield.

Not that it worked all the time.

Ser Adrian gestured at the soldiers. “Bring the feral inside. We’ll wait here until the road dries out,” he called.

Not bothering to conceal their relief the soldiers saluted and ran out to the wagon. As they waited Elane seized the moment to consider Ser Adrian’s wyvern mount. It was clearly a male judging from the spines that grew from the crown of its head to the base of its long neck. The bright copper scales that developed a blue tint from chin to belly was something she had never seen before, but it was common for the males to sport various colors.

The males had the spines and the vibrant colors meant to attract attention. The females had much more drab colors, muted greys and browns, and spat a caustic venom that was considered one of the most toxic fluids this side of the Alirean Sea. It was far more common for wyvern mounts to be male, while females were generally reserved for times of war where specially trained handlers would ride them as an elite division of the cavalry. Nothing struck fear into the hearts of the enemy faster than the furious shriek of a female wyvern, followed by a stream of venom known to melt the flesh off a man’s bones in a handful of minutes.

Since the soldiers were taking their time bringing the wagon, Elane took a few steps closer to Ser Adrian and gestured at his wyvern. “What’s his name?”

She took it as another point in his favor when he smiled automatically as he looked up at the male wyvern. “This is Cladius. We’ve been paired up for almost five years now.” He chuckled and reached up to thump an open hand against a scaled shoulder. “For the entire first year I was convinced he was sizing me up to find the perfect place to take a bite. But I guess he decided I wasn’t worth the effort.”

“Sounds about right,” Elane agreed. “Mind if I take a look at him?”

Rather than give an immediate affirmative, Ser Adrian hesitated. “Is there a reason you need to? He was checked over by my unit’s hostler before we left so as far as I know he is as healthy as a wyvern gets.”

Elane floundered around the explanation that she simply wanted to look at him. That he was a gorgeous wyvern and she wanted to see what she could pick out from his breeding. Luckily, Kern answered Ser Adrian for her.

“Her family breeds wyverns,” Kern said, looking Cladius over himself with expert appraisal. “She’s probably forgotten more things about the beasts than you’ve ever learned.”

Elane bit her tongue around the correction that her family ‘used’ to breed wyverns.

Rather than get offended Ser Adrian looked intrigued. “Is that so? In that case go ahead.” He continued with a sheepish air, “If you do spot anything problematic can you let me know? I trust our hostler Aldric about as far as I can throw him. Enough to get the job done, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to turn down a second opinion.”

Suddenly uncomfortable with the turn of the conversation, Elane nodded. “Sure. I doubt I’ll see anything, Cladius seems to be in prime condition but I’ll check just in case.”

Taking a step forward, Elane let out a short whistle, followed by a quick tongue roll that was the closest a human could get to mimicking the typical wyvern’s friendly greeting. It was generally used with blood relatives since wyverns lived in matriarchal packs, with the dominant female, or Queen, ruling the others with sharp teeth and quick sprays of venom that kept the others in line. It was seeing their clan structures that first gave someone the idea that wyverns could be trained to work with humans.

Cladius startled at the sound of her greeting, but didn’t hiss or mantle his wings. He cocked his head with obvious interest and returned the trill, lowering his head to get a better look at her. Must have come from a breeder then if he recognized the sound of a human trying to mimic the wyvern’s call. He remained calm when she took a step closer so she felt safe enough to blow out a quick breath aimed at his face. A wyvern’s sense of smell was one of their most vital, and gave him a chance to get her scent without doing something stupid like waving a hand in his face. She’d seen some idiot trainers do that, but only the once.

When Cladius’ nostrils flared and he continued to remain passive, if curious, Elane finally stepped in close. Clicking under her tongue she ran light hands along the spines at the crown of his head, scratching her nails at the base of the largest. It wasn’t long before there was a low rumbling that could almost be called a purr, if a cat stood almost seventeen hands at the shoulder and sported two inch claws on all four feet. Once he was properly soothed and she had clarified he wouldn’t see her as a threat, she looked him over.

His scales were smooth, almost slick beneath her fingers. Only a few areas had the telltale rough spots that hinted at future shedding. The bone spurs at his elbows, ankles, and knees were capped with sharp tips, when she tested the one at his left elbow she felt it shift beneath the pressure of her fingers. Frowning she looked closer at the others, but it was just the one that felt loose. His eyes were bright and clean around the edges, his ears had almost no scarring. The scales on Cladius’ face were pristine.

Elane hesitated in her inspection when she came upon the control collar. It wasn’t the monstrosity she’d seen on some wyverns, which were little more than thick spell chains that never failed to crush the small scales along the neck and throat. This one was leather with a single shaped ruby stitched into place. When she checked the edges she was relieved to see that there weren’t any crushed scales or bruising, and Cladius didn’t shy away at letting her touch it.

It was good to know that he didn’t associate it with pain.

“You don’t use the control collar.” Elane didn’t look at Ser Adrian, not wanting to see the look on his face.

“No, Cladius and I get along well.” There was a pause before he continued with, “He wouldn’t have one at all if I had it my way, but the army can’t risk losing control of a wyvern, so...the collars.”

Looking at the simple black leather and the glint of the ruby made Elane want to grind her teeth. So many times she’d seen the collars in action, the way the runes lit up bright enough to sear across her vision even when she closed her eyes. The way the wyverns always screamed in pain, writhing and scratching at their neck and shoulders until they bled or the pain finally ended.

While she understood why the collars made people feel safer, Elane knew through experience that no one who truly understood how to interact with wyverns needed one of those blasted collars. Growing up on a wyvern breeding farm, Elane had started learning the basics of what to do when she was only knee-high. She watched her grandfather and her father, and had worked alongside her sisters as they sought to truly understand the fierce creatures. They were predators without a doubt, but they weren’t mindless and to think of them as just animals with sharp teeth and claws, that was the true mistake.

It had been her lifelong dream to become a Rider and had even begun the rudimentary training with one of their young wyverns. Normally she would have joined the Royal Wyvern corps and been given a wyvern once she proved she could survive the training, but for those with the means they were allowed to provide their own ‘mount’ as long as the beast passed inspection by the royal stables.
But then the war had happened and the king sent out a decree that let the corps seize all eligible wyverns from any private breeding farms that didn’t have the means or connections to protect themselves.

When the king’s men had come, they’d forced those blasted collars on all of the wyverns she’d grown up with and raised, and dragged them shrieking and snarling out of her life. Elane and her sisters had promptly joined the king’s service amongst the Wyvern Corps. They had little hope of finding their wyverns, but if they could, they could at least try and make sure they were treated right.

Risel was a Rider herself now, after two years of training. Lida was still training to be a Rider. They were boarded at the same training hall, which had been a boon none of them had expected. They wrote letters back and forth, and in all of them there was always the unspoken question; had anyone seen their wyverns?

Elane hadn’t had the heart to try for a Rider position, not when the only wyvern she’d ever wanted to ride was long gone, stolen out of her life and thrown into the grinding maw of war. She looked at the control collar around Cladius’ neck and it broke her heart to realize that it was the best case scenario for all the wyverns that had been taken. Better they have a collar than being put down and ‘harvested’. After all, wyvern hide was one of the best protections against the venom the females possessed.

Once she finished her inspection and confirmed the wyvern was in good health, Elane gave Cladius one last firm rub to the sensitive skin just beneath his jaw. He trilled and extended his neck to urge her on, eyes falling half-lidded when she obliged him by dragging her nails along the ridge where the scales started to form armor just under his jaw. It was the pressure she was applying to the scales more than the actual scratching the wyvern was looking for. She knew those scales tended to be the most sensitive before a molt, and judging from the way Cladius was pressing his head down into her hand she assumed he was close to starting.

When she finally stepped away Cladius heaved a sigh before standing straight once more, as if resigned to the limited attention. She thumped him on the shoulder with a laugh. “Don’t even try it. If your Rider doesn’t personally scrub you down once you start to molt I’ll be surprised.” She glanced at Ser Adrian, who was watching her with a keen attention that made her smile start to dim.

He waited for a moment before nodding. “I do handle his molt. I was told it was normally something left for the hostlers to take care of, but I insisted.” Ser Adrian flicked a glance between Elane and Cladius. “He is my partner. He deserves no less.”

Elane bit back the comment about that being a rather rare opinion amongst the Riders. “He is in excellent health,” she said instead. “He is about to start his molt so I would keep an eye on that, he might start getting irritable once the itching starts but I’m assuming you know how to deal with that. I would suggest getting the cap for the spur on his left foreleg replaced. It felt loose when I tested it and it will only serve to irritate him.”

Ser Adrian considered her for a weighty moment before nodding. “Thank you. My unit’s hostler didn’t seem to notice it.”

Elane shrugged. “It's a habit for me to check. It’s nothing urgent so I wouldn’t be too hard on your man.”

“If he didn’t notice, I would say he didn’t do a thorough enough check.” Kern looked Cladius up and down before turning to Ser Adrian. “While you are here we’ll look over the rest of your unit.” His expression darkened. “And I think I’ll have a chat with the hostler attached to your unit.”

Ser Adrian was saved from confirming or denying Kern’s offer when there was the low grind of the wagon approaching. As the wagon and the rest of its escort rolled in beneath the raised gate, Elane briefly considered letting Ser Adrian know that Kern’s offer wasn’t so much an offer as it was a declaration. Just the suggestion of a lazy hostler was enough to get Kern’s back up, and if it was just inexperience, well, that could be just as deadly if not more so for a unit meant to go into battle. Kern did not beat around the bush when it came to the safety of wyverns and everyone who interacted with them.

Elane figured however he’d gotten that scar was serving as a vivid reminder of how badly some things could go wrong.

The sound of the wagon and the rustle of the nearby wyverns as they paced inside their enclosures was drowned out by the furious shriek of an enraged wyvern. The ear shredding pitch it reached at the end made even Elane wince and she didn’t think twice about snagging Cladius’ lead and coaxing him over to Ser Adrian. The Rider was already stepping closer and he barely blinked when Elane was able to direct Cladius closer.

“He’s fairly used to the racket by now,” Ser Adrian admitted, but he did make a point of taking the lead and drawing Cladius head down so he could rub underneath his chin.

Elane noted how Cladius was dragging his hind claws through the loose dirt and that his crest spines were elevated but not yet rattling. “I can see that.” She stared askance at the wagon and the enraged feral it contained. There was another shriek and Elane winced, reflexively glancing at the surrounding enclosures set into the walls. No answering calls yet, but it would only be a matter of time before the rest of the wyverns started reacting.

“You didn’t mention the feral was female.” Elane said, making a point to keep all censure out of her tone. Ser Adrian had seemed a strangely friendly sort for a Rider, but Elane wasn’t going to forget that he was a Rider. Not even the most laid-back would usually tolerate a simple hostler questioning them.

“I did not and for that I am sorry.” Ser Adrian gestured to the wagon and the skittish horses that had been coaxed forward. “But as you can see I don’t have any other options. The horses will not pull the wagon much further and with the coming storm I cannot afford to have the wagon break down on the road.” There was another shriek and then a sharp hiss that Elane knew down to her bones. Every Rider and hostler learned to recognise the sound of a female in a feral rage. Considering it was usually followed by the wyvern unleashing her venom, it was a matter of life and death to recognize the signs.

Eying the cage built into the back of the wagon, Elane doubted the wyvern would use her venom even in the grips of a feral rage. The enclosure was made out of solid wood and judging from the sheen that covered it, coated in enough reinforcement spells that they could probably dip the entire thing in a pool of wyvern venom and it would only sink to the bottom as if submerged in water. Wyvern females weren’t immune to the caustic properties of their own venom, leading to impressive scarring and warped scales around their faces and neck amongst the older beasts. Even as enraged as this female sounded, spitting her venom in the cage would only serve to cause herself harm.

The cage was reinforced, but the wagon beneath it was not. Elane could see why Ser Adrian had been so adamant about finding a place to hole up and rest his men. It would give them a break from the raging feral and hopefully keep from fouling the wagon wheels in the muddy, pitted roads. If the wagon did founder, they would be trapped on the open road with a feral wyvern. Considering the spells reinforcing the cage were no doubt anchored in the wagon itself, it would only be a matter of time before she broke out and turned on them.

It was a nasty situation all around and Elane’s respect for Ser Adrian increased considering how deftly he had managed to navigate the situation into the best possible outcome.

Considering the wagon and the reinforced cage with its still hissing captive, Elane pressed her lips together. “How long has this wyvern been feral?”

When a wyvern turned feral it was even odds whether the beast would be put down and harvested or carted off to the nearest stable in the hope it could still be used as a breeder. Any stable would leap at the chance to bring in some fresh blood but it was always a risk. Feral wyverns were just as likely to savage their intended mates as actually breed with them.

Ser Adrian hesitated long enough to earn a raised brow before he said, “As far as I know this one has always been a feral.”

Elane raised both eyebrows now, truly shocked. “She was born wild?”

“No, from what I was told she was born on a farm, but went feral shortly after she was brought in to the Corps,” Ser Adrian said. He hesitated again before saying, “She’s too aggressive to breed and would have been put down except she has some of the most potent venom we’ve ever seen.”

“Ah,” Elane said, understanding his reserve. It was dangerous to try on a feral but it wasn’t out of the realm of possibility to harvest wyvern venom. It wasn’t something she ever learned to do on her grandfather’s training farm since harvesting venom could cause the wyvern’s body to react by creating more than was healthy. They were still learning more about the wyverns every day it seemed and the drawback to the magic laced through their bodies was how sensitive and reactive they were. What made them clever and deadly mounts also made them somewhat delicate and they had to be handled carefully.

Not that the Corps as a whole truly understood that, much to Elane’s continued frustration.

“So what you’re saying is we have a female feral who is going to need to have the venom sacs emptied out before they become inflamed and she ends up being poisoned by her own venom. Do I have that right?”

Ser Adrian gave her a sharp nod, which was rather unnecessary by that point but Elane appreciated his willingness to accept her frustration at face value.

Sighing out loud would be unprofessional so Elane did it silently. “It will be a miracle if we all get through this intact,” she said quietly, slowly walking closer to the wagon. There was another shriek from inside the cage and the wagon shivered as the wyvern slammed against the side. There was no ‘hiss-snap’ of venom being spat out however, which was a good sign the wyvern was just feral and not falling into a frenzy.

If the female did that there would be no saving her. Ferals could be coaxed back from the edge, but once a wyvern fell into a frenzy the only recourse was to put them down.

Elane resisted the urge to rub just above the bridge of her nose, where a headache had already grown roots. It wouldn’t do to come off as unprofessional when everyone was already stretched to their limits with a feral wyvern just waiting to take a chunk out of somebody. It wasn’t an impossible situation, it would just take some careful maneuvering as well as a heap of luck.

“How is she usually removed from the cage?” Elane asked, with the suspicion that she wasn’t going to like the answer.

Ser Adrian didn’t disappoint, but in his defense he didn’t look happy about it either. “If she’s calm she can usually be coaxed out but if she’s being aggressive she’s usually fed drugged food. Once she’s asleep she’s hauled out and placed in her enclosure. If she won’t eat then they use the collar-”.

Holding up a hand, Elane cut him off before he could explain the travesty of the Wyvern Corps methods of dealing with wyverns. “Of course. So we have a feral wyvern with inflamed venom sacs who associates humans with pain and suffering.” She stared at the cage, honestly not sure where to even start.

When she glanced at Kern for possible guidance he just looked at her with one eyebrow lifted and Elane could feel the headache between her eyes grow teeth. Guess that rumor about Kern looking for a replacement wasn’t just the result of too many of her fellow hostlers breathing in the fumes while shoveling wyvern dung. She would have to decide later if she was appalled or proud. Kern would have one hell of a fight getting the higher ups to agree to a young woman taking his place so she wouldn’t worry about it until he made his choice ‘official’.

There was another shriek and Elane decided she’d wasted enough time standing around. “How does she react to other wyverns?” she asked Ser Adrian.

“She isn’t overtly aggressive with them,” he said, which was a relief. That would have been one hurdle too many considering how complicated the situation was already. “She isn’t what I would call friendly but she doesn’t attack on sight.”

Not the best response but better than outright aggressive behavior. With one last glance at Kern, who was still waiting off to the side to make it clear this was her show to run, she approached the wagon and cage. Once she was close enough to smell the acid bite of the venom she stopped and considered her options. There was another shriek but once again no telltale hiss-snap of venom being released. Small favors but they added up.

Her main goal was to try and get the wyvern to calm down. If she was calm Elane had a chance of getting her out of the cage without traumatizing her further. She should have asked Kern to have one of the other hostlers fetch the sedatives, but she felt as if asking for them was taking the easy way out. The wyvern deserved to be angry considering her treatment up until now and Elane wanted a chance to show Ser Adrian and his soldiers how it could be done if someone knew what they were doing.

Now if only she knew what she was doing.

It was impulse more than deliberate thought that had her putting her fingers to her lips and emitting a piercing whistle. It was two sharp tones, low and then high. Her grandfather’s farm hadn’t been big, but it was large enough to give the wyverns a decent amount of land to hunt and wander when they weren’t being kept in their separate enclosures. They’d been trained to associate the whistle with feeding time, and she had managed to break up a few disagreements amongst her scaly charges by having them immediately turn and race towards the gate in the hopes of being the first to eat. Not that they’d been fed randomly. They’d always made a point of observing the pack hierarchy amongst the wyverns and fed them accordingly.

She hoped that the noise would be enough to garner the female’s interest. If Ser Adrian was correct and she came from a training farm then it was more than likely she would have grown up listening to various whistles.

The low growling that had been emanating from the wagon since it was first rolled in cut off abruptly. Elane waited, heart suddenly beating faster with barely contained nerves. She almost couldn’t believe that had worked. With a quick glance at Ser Adrian she confirmed that he was also staring with wide eyes, equally surprised by the female’s response to her sharp whistle. Still standing next to Ser Adrian, Cladius let out a low rumble and extended his neck to nudge his rider.

“I’m guessing he came from a breeder as well?” Elane asked, smiling.

Ser Adrian reached up to rub Cladius snout. “From Redrock, one of the Corps’ main suppliers.” He scratched under Cladius’ chin. “You just ate so don’t think you’ll be getting anymore now.”

Leaving rider and wyvern to their dinner negotiations, Elane started walking closer to the wagon. One of the nearby soldiers backed away quick enough he almost tripped over his own feet. Finally noticing them milling around, it was hard to focus on them when there were wyverns taking up her full attention, Elane waved them away. “Please step back, I’ll never be able to get her to calm down if she can still smell any of you nearby.”

One of the soldiers, soaked from the rain that had been steadily pouring for the last half hour glared and opened his mouth, only for Ser Adrian to cut him off. “You heard hostler Elane. You may think this female is more trouble than she’s worth but I assure you, she feels the same way about all of us. Now let’s give the hostler some space.”

With a mix of sullen silence and quiet grumbles, and in one case a muttered prayer that the crazy wyvern got to take a chunk out of the crazy woman, Elane was left alone next to the wagon. The still suspiciously quiet wagon.

Kern stepped up beside her with a soft scuff of his boots. His arms were crossed over his chest and his lips were pressed together in a tight line. “You’re taking a big risk for very little gain, Elane. I know you’ve got a way with the beasts, but this one is a feral. Probably close to going into a frenzy judging from the sounds of those shrieks.”

Elane nodded, biting back her immediate assurance that she could figure something out. “I think I have a chance. The female calmed down after hearing the whistle. She might be a feral but I believe she remembers a time when humans weren’t the enemy. If I can bring her back from the edge then I have to do something.”

She didn’t say they needed all the cooperative females they could get, that wyvern venom was one of their greatest assets in war and letting a potent source go into a frenzy and be put down was a terrible waste. None of those reasons were why she wanted to save the wyvern, and Kern knew it. So she waited for him to tell her yes or no, trying not to think of what she might be driven to do if he did choose to deny her the chance.

After a moment that might as well have been a small eternity, Kern shrugged. “Try it your way first. But if you get savaged just remember you aren’t allowed to quit.”

“Well I do appreciate the job security,” Elane said under her breath as she slowly approached the wagon.

The female had made no sound since Elane whistled, her continued silence almost eerie after the sustained growling and shrieking they’d been subjected to since her arrival. Taking a breath, Elane whistled again, a soft three tone call that she had once used as a greeting when approaching the wyverns that she was responsible for. It was something they all had done, creating a specific whistle that served as another method of recognition when the wyvern’s weren’t able to scent them.

They’d each had their own whistle, and after a while the wyverns had started responding with their own short calls as well. It...hurt to think about, made Elane remember what her life had used to be like and how drastically everything had fallen apart.

It was gone, stolen away by the king and his Royal Wyvern Corps no matter how much she wished she could bring it all back.

She almost didn’t realize what she was hearing, the sounds were so soft. Little chirps that by all rights should have come from a bird. For a confused moment, Elane thought that a bird had managed to get in and had only now decided to reveal itself. It was certainly more believable than what her traitorous heart was thinking, the sound of that faint call alone enough to set her heart pounding.. She had to be imagining it. There was no way she could be that lucky. The odds of finding any of the wyverns from her family’s farm had been almost non-existent. To not only find one, but have it be this particular one...was it a dream?

“Elane, what’s going on?” Kern asked. There was a soft scuff as he started to walk toward her, and Elane held out a hand to make him stop.

“Stay back,” she said, heart in her throat. After so much grief, the first sliver of hope hurt like wyvern acid. The burn of it seemed to go straight through her. “I think I know this wyvern. I don’t want to spook her.”

It took several attempts to wet her lips with her mouth suddenly gone dry. She whistled again, the same three tones, high-low-high. The chirps in response were louder and more confident, followed by a low rumble that made Elane’s heart twist. Hand pressed to her mouth she took several quick steps and climbed the back of the wagon. She ignored the panicked sounds behind her and went right up to the cage.

No matter how much hope pushed her onward, Elane didn’t let it blind her. Rather than immediately sliding back the small door that would let her see inside, Elane whistled again. This time she used the whistle that she had only used for one wyvern.

She held her breath with one hand pressed against the small latch, ignoring Ser Adrian as he called her name as well as Kern’s demand to know what she was doing. Instead she listened to the brief moment of silence from within the cage, and then the short chirps followed by a rumble purr that made her eyes go blurry from a sudden surge of unshed tears.

Unlatching the lock and sliding the small barrier aside, she was greeted by a huff of wyvern breath carrying the acid bite of venom. A pair of achingly familiar gold eyes peered out at Elane, the familiar mask of black scales that gradually faded into gray lost within the gloom.

“Nightingale,” Elane breathed, throat growing tight as her eyes started to burn. “By the gods Nightingale, I actually found you.”

Touching her fingers to the smooth warmth of familiar scales just above the wyvern venom induced scars that had twisted Nightingale’s lips into a permanent snarl, Elane silently swore that she would not let this second chance slip away.
_______
You are
Shadowborn,
my child
4mTLFAP.png
...created when I
breathed life into
Shadow
Bump!
Bump!
_______
You are
Shadowborn,
my child
4mTLFAP.png
...created when I
breathed life into
Shadow
@TwilightDreams Hello! Please don't bump threads outside of the exempt sales forums. That's considered Spam and is not allowed. Adding new content is great but bumping with nothing to say/no added content isn't. Thank you!
@TwilightDreams Hello! Please don't bump threads outside of the exempt sales forums. That's considered Spam and is not allowed. Adding new content is great but bumping with nothing to say/no added content isn't. Thank you!
Tundra with the words 'Love is the Brightest Light'
Volunteer Moderator :If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation, please feel free to use the Contact Us form.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/HCzRAan.png[/img] [b]Words:[/b] [i]Patient, Fog, Bowl[/i] Lene doesn’t look over when the door is pushed open, instead keeping her gaze focused on the barred window and the slowly fading light. From the golden orange colors she can see beyond the trees she guesses it is an hour out from sundown. Not long before the night’s chill starts to creep through the walls and another long night of fraught dreams and little sleep begins. "Here is your dinner.” Arms looped around her bent knees, Lene watches out of the corner of her eye as the soldier hesitates about where to put the bowl he is carrying. There is no table or chair, just the narrow cot that she is sitting on. Finally, mouth pressed into a thin line, he carefully places it on the far side of the cot as far from her as he can get without it falling off. Lene isn’t sure if he is keeping his distance out of fear of her or simply not wanting to encroach in her space considering her situation. Either way she appreciates it. Her appreciation fades when instead of turning around and walking back out the door, the soldier shifts his weight from one foot to the other, clearly nerving himself up to ask her a question. Staring resolutely at the window and the now faded purple and pink slivers of the sky Lene sends up a prayer to all the gods she can remember that the soldier decides to hold his tongue and walk back out. “Is it true?” Clearly she didn’t remember enough gods, or hadn’t prayed to the right one. In spite of knowing she is making a mistake, Lene glances at the soldier and arches her brow in a silent question. It pulls on the cut above her eye but while she is curious to see where this is leading, she isn’t going to waste actual breath on the man. Seeming taken aback that he has garnered an actual response from her, it takes the soldier a moment to elaborate. “That you set the monster free.” Maybe the gods had heard her and they had decided to punish her for daring to ask their favor. “That is why the headman threw me in here. Or so he said but to be fair he was saying a lot and I was kind of distracted so he might have added something else to the charges.” By the time they’d dragged her to the jail Lene had been half unconscious from a beating and too desperately relieved that she’d made it in time to care about what Old Grobe was saying. Whatever came next, at least she hadn’t failed. It was a balm on the boredom of captivity, interspersed with the fear of what would become of her now. Old Grobe had made it clear that she was going to be handed over to the soldiers when they arrived, having been summoned to deal with the ‘monster’. Better her than Asii. The soldier blinks at her, as if not quite sure what to make of her answer. It was better than being spat on or beaten, so Lene doesn’t immediately go back to ignoring him. She watches him and sees the moment he rallies. “Why would you do that?" This time it is Lene’s turn to mull over her response. She doesn’t owe this soldier the whole truth, isn’t stupid enough to share it considering what has already become of her. But she does want to share a little, to try and make someone understand that as far as she was concerned it was everyone else that was crazy. “Everyone says I let a monster go free. But I didn’t see a monster.” Lene ignores the way the soldier’s eyes widen. “I saw someone who was alone and frightened. So I let them go.” It’s not a lie, but it’s certainly not the truth. The first time she’d caught a glimpse of the ‘monster’ she had been frightened and nearly killed herself trying to get away. Alone in the forest with her foot caught in a forgotten trap, the first glimpse of the dark figure moving through the trees had sent dormant instincts screaming and Lene was lucky she hadn’t torn her own foot off. But Asii had been patient and kind and hadn’t let her own fear and prejudice stop her from showing mercy. Not even to someone who should have been an enemy. How could Lene do any less? The soldier shook his head, disgust warring with confusion. “The captain will speak with you in the morning. I hope for your sake you have a better answer for him.” Lene bites her lip as he leaves, the door thumping closed behind him. She has been beaten and thrown in a cell by the same people who watched her grow up for choosing to do what was right, rather than what was easy. And yet this stranger’s disregard for her choice hurts just as much. If things had gone differently she might have been him. He looks only a couple of years older than her, so he must have signed up the moment he reached his majority. That’s what some of her age mates had done once they were given permission and blessings by their families. Join the King’s army and see the world. It had been her dream too, until she caught her foot in a trap and a legend emerged from the deep forest to show her mercy. Leaning back, Lene rests her head against the wall behind her. She knows she made the right decision, but that doesn’t stop her from being afraid of what was going to come next. *** Sleep continues to elude her so Lene is awake when the air develops a sudden chill, abrupt enough to make her breath catch in the back of her throat. Shivering, she slowly crawls off the cot and limps over to the small window. The few buildings she can see are a wash of shadows and moonlight. The distant trees are dark shapes against the star filled sky. The sky is a clear spread of stars, but there is a line of fog creeping through the village. Seeing the vapour drifting amongst the buildings sets Lene’s heart to racing. The hair on the back of her neck stands on end and she is torn between avidly watching through the window and retreating back to her cot. A lingering memory from childhood tries to convince her that if she can pull the blanket over her head she will be safe. Not that anyone had seen fit to give her a blanket, so the impulse was easy to ignore. As she watches the fog slowly grows thicker until the surrounding buildings she can see are only impressions. The faint light from the lanterns framing the door to the headman’s house slowly dim until they abruptly go out. Lene clutches at the window bars hard enough that she barely notices the chill the night air has left on them. It’s cold, far colder than it should be at this time of year with Fall still in full swing and Winter only just beginning to make her presence known. The closer the fog gets to the jail house the more difficult it is to take a breath. She can breathe, but the air itself seems to have grown heavy and Lene can almost taste something sweet on the tip of her tongue. She can only watch as the fog creeps closer, breathing in the strange sweet air until she feels almost dizzy with it. She doesn’t know what to think when the fog stops just beyond the window. Swallowing hard, Lene leans up on the tips of her toes to see down onto the ground. There is nothing but loose dirt and few weeds determined to cling to life. Yet the fog has stopped, swirling and flowing a foot away from the window as if pressing up against an invisible barrier. Lene yelps in shock when there is a thump against the door. Scrambling back from the window she retreats to the center of the room. With no obvious weapon at hand she grabs the bowl the guard had left. She hadn’t been hungry enough to eat it before, and now hopefully it can buy her a few seconds if she manages to sling the contents into the face of whoever was trying to break in. With each thump and scuff on the outside of the door, Lene jumps, arms and legs shaking. She opens her mouth to call out but can’t bring herself to make a sound. Surely if it was the soldiers they would have shouted something right? Was it someone from the village who was determined to make her pay for ‘betraying’ her own kind. Was it one of the soldiers who had descended on the village to deal with the monster they had caught? When the door slams open, Lene swallows back a scream and throws the bowl with its contents at the figure looming in the doorway. In the dark she can barely make out anything beyond a vague shape and there is a soft thud as the bowl strikes true. The quiet clatter of the bowl falling is the only sound Lene can hear over the frantic pounding of her heartbeat in her ears. What little moonlight manages to slip through the window is not enough to give her a good look at the intruder. “Did you just throw soup at me?” Lene sucks in a breath, fear falling away so fast it leaves her dizzy. “Asii? What are you doing here?” “You didn’t answer the question.” With a vague gesture that Lene can barely make out in the darkness of the cell, a small ball of light flickers into being in Asii’s hand. It’s a soft, warm glow, casting shadows across the other woman’s face. Where before there was the shadowed impression of humanity, beneath the gentle mage light the impression is stripped away to reveal the truth. Golden eyes with a slash of black pupil stare out of a human face covered in a wash of tiny scales. Two black horns starting at Asii’s brow curve back in a twist, following the shape of her skull. The hood of her cloak is pulled up to the base of her horns, concealing the lack of hair and the ridges of flesh that Lene has seen flare out into a living hood when the naga grows frustrated. It is a face out of tales told around the fire, stories meant to warn children of the dangers the deep wood held in its heart. Once she would have been afraid, but a chance encounter and a year long friendship leaves Lene only feeling sharp relief. Which quickly turns to alarm since Asii is here, in the village, just after Lene risked everything to get her out. “What are you doing here?” Lene hisses, stalking forward on still wobbly legs. “Are you insane? Do you have any idea what the village will do to you if they catch you?” She regrets the question when Asii’s eyes narrow. “I have a very good idea of what they will do. But you are the one who isss insssane if you think I would leave you here after what you did.” Asii takes a breath, the hiss in her words hinting at how close her temper is to the surface. “Come, the fog will keep everyone who breathesss it asssleep. But it will not lassst long.” Turning, Asii slides back the way she came, her tail giving an irritable flick to beckon Lene after her. Lene doesn’t hesitate to follow her out, walking out of the cell without a backwards glance. She ends up stepping over one of the soldiers who is sprawled out on the floor, eyes closed and snoring softly. “I didn’t know you could do magic,” Lene whispers, nervous in spite of her confidence that Asii knows what she is doing. Asii snorts. “I can only do small things such as this.” With a twist of her wrist the light she’d created winks out. She holds out a hand before Lene can step outside the door of the jail house, where the fog twists and roils just beyond the threshold. It’s an unnecessary precaution since Lene has no intention of stepping outside. “One moment, I need to grab the ward.” Reaching into her belt pouch, Asii pulls out a small charm. It is small and circular, as if someone took a thin white branch and twisted it together until it formed a flat disk, the slender wood spiraling into itself. Each layer is held together with neat rows of thin red string, each one tied off and forming a tail until there are dozens flowing off of the small charm. It is a symbol that Lene has been Asii wearing before as a necklace or neatly embroidered on a cloak. “What is that?” Lene asks. The sound of her voice sounds strange, almost distorted. “It will keep the fog away. It would hardly be a successful rescue attempt if we got caught in our own trap.” Lene speaks without thinking. “You shouldn’t have risked yourself like this. I barely managed to get you away the first time.” It is difficult to see in the faded moonlight, weakened by the fog that continues to swirl just out of reach, but Lene can see the way Asii stiffens. The winding length of her snake’s tail hits the ground with a dull ‘thwap’ of sound, and Lene has only a moment to realize that she might have been better off biting her tongue when Asii grabs the front of her tunic and hauls Lene in until their noses are barely touching. “If you think for a moment I wasss going to leave you here to sssuffer the consssequencesss….” Asii cuts herself off and sucks in a breath. “I was always going to come for you, Lene.” With their faces so close, Lene can see where patches of scales on Asii’s face are bent and torn. Even with a Naga’s innate magic, the other woman had not fully recovered from her time of captivity. The barely chained ferocity there is breathtaking, and humbling. Lene leans in to press their foreheads together, sharing air as Asii taught her was custom amongst her people. Lene does not possess the fangs and venom that mark the gesture as one of trust amongst the Naga, but as a defenseless human with no fangs of her own to defend herself, the trust is inherent. “I guess we’re even,” Lene breathes. “What happens now?” Asii breathes out and leans back. She holds up the small amulet and as she does the fog wavers and curls away. “This will protect us from the spelled fog that is keeping the village asleep.” The way she sneers the word ‘village’ hints that she was thinking of a different word. Probably ‘monster’, the irony would have been appropriate. “The safest place for you right now is my home.” Lene blinks. “Are you sure that’s a good idea? I didn’t think your people trusted humans.” Asii nods. “They do not. But they know what you did for me. You, they will welcome.” The thought of seeing the Naga village, given shape by Asii’s stories for the past year is almost too good to be true. Apparently recognising Lene’s disbelief, Asii holds up the warded amulet. “As I said, I cannot craft this kind of power. It was a gift from my grandmother in order to bring you home. Will you come with me?” Lene laughs, and if it carries with it the hint of tears they both ignore it. “I can’t imagine anywhere else I would rather be,” Lene admits. Asii sighs and offers her hand. “Good, it would have been difficult carrying you out of here.” Taking the Naga’s hand and walking into the fog, Lene decides to wait until they get home before having that particular argument.
HCzRAan.png

Words: Patient, Fog, Bowl

Lene doesn’t look over when the door is pushed open, instead keeping her gaze focused on the barred window and the slowly fading light. From the golden orange colors she can see beyond the trees she guesses it is an hour out from sundown. Not long before the night’s chill starts to creep through the walls and another long night of fraught dreams and little sleep begins.

"Here is your dinner.”

Arms looped around her bent knees, Lene watches out of the corner of her eye as the soldier hesitates about where to put the bowl he is carrying. There is no table or chair, just the narrow cot that she is sitting on. Finally, mouth pressed into a thin line, he carefully places it on the far side of the cot as far from her as he can get without it falling off. Lene isn’t sure if he is keeping his distance out of fear of her or simply not wanting to encroach in her space considering her situation. Either way she appreciates it.

Her appreciation fades when instead of turning around and walking back out the door, the soldier shifts his weight from one foot to the other, clearly nerving himself up to ask her a question. Staring resolutely at the window and the now faded purple and pink slivers of the sky Lene sends up a prayer to all the gods she can remember that the soldier decides to hold his tongue and walk back out.

“Is it true?”

Clearly she didn’t remember enough gods, or hadn’t prayed to the right one. In spite of knowing she is making a mistake, Lene glances at the soldier and arches her brow in a silent question. It pulls on the cut above her eye but while she is curious to see where this is leading, she isn’t going to waste actual breath on the man.

Seeming taken aback that he has garnered an actual response from her, it takes the soldier a moment to elaborate. “That you set the monster free.”

Maybe the gods had heard her and they had decided to punish her for daring to ask their favor.

“That is why the headman threw me in here. Or so he said but to be fair he was saying a lot and I was kind of distracted so he might have added something else to the charges.”

By the time they’d dragged her to the jail Lene had been half unconscious from a beating and too desperately relieved that she’d made it in time to care about what Old Grobe was saying. Whatever came next, at least she hadn’t failed. It was a balm on the boredom of captivity, interspersed with the fear of what would become of her now. Old Grobe had made it clear that she was going to be handed over to the soldiers when they arrived, having been summoned to deal with the ‘monster’.

Better her than Asii.

The soldier blinks at her, as if not quite sure what to make of her answer. It was better than being spat on or beaten, so Lene doesn’t immediately go back to ignoring him. She watches him and sees the moment he rallies. “Why would you do that?"

This time it is Lene’s turn to mull over her response. She doesn’t owe this soldier the whole truth, isn’t stupid enough to share it considering what has already become of her. But she does want to share a little, to try and make someone understand that as far as she was concerned it was everyone else that was crazy.

“Everyone says I let a monster go free. But I didn’t see a monster.” Lene ignores the way the soldier’s eyes widen. “I saw someone who was alone and frightened. So I let them go.”

It’s not a lie, but it’s certainly not the truth. The first time she’d caught a glimpse of the ‘monster’ she had been frightened and nearly killed herself trying to get away. Alone in the forest with her foot caught in a forgotten trap, the first glimpse of the dark figure moving through the trees had sent dormant instincts screaming and Lene was lucky she hadn’t torn her own foot off. But Asii had been patient and kind and hadn’t let her own fear and prejudice stop her from showing mercy. Not even to someone who should have been an enemy.

How could Lene do any less?

The soldier shook his head, disgust warring with confusion. “The captain will speak with you in the morning. I hope for your sake you have a better answer for him.”

Lene bites her lip as he leaves, the door thumping closed behind him. She has been beaten and thrown in a cell by the same people who watched her grow up for choosing to do what was right, rather than what was easy. And yet this stranger’s disregard for her choice hurts just as much.

If things had gone differently she might have been him. He looks only a couple of years older than her, so he must have signed up the moment he reached his majority. That’s what some of her age mates had done once they were given permission and blessings by their families. Join the King’s army and see the world.

It had been her dream too, until she caught her foot in a trap and a legend emerged from the deep forest to show her mercy.
Leaning back, Lene rests her head against the wall behind her. She knows she made the right decision, but that doesn’t stop her from being afraid of what was going to come next.

Sleep continues to elude her so Lene is awake when the air develops a sudden chill, abrupt enough to make her breath catch in the back of her throat. Shivering, she slowly crawls off the cot and limps over to the small window. The few buildings she can see are a wash of shadows and moonlight. The distant trees are dark shapes against the star filled sky.

The sky is a clear spread of stars, but there is a line of fog creeping through the village.

Seeing the vapour drifting amongst the buildings sets Lene’s heart to racing. The hair on the back of her neck stands on end and she is torn between avidly watching through the window and retreating back to her cot. A lingering memory from childhood tries to convince her that if she can pull the blanket over her head she will be safe. Not that anyone had seen fit to give her a blanket, so the impulse was easy to ignore.

As she watches the fog slowly grows thicker until the surrounding buildings she can see are only impressions. The faint light from the lanterns framing the door to the headman’s house slowly dim until they abruptly go out. Lene clutches at the window bars hard enough that she barely notices the chill the night air has left on them. It’s cold, far colder than it should be at this time of year with Fall still in full swing and Winter only just beginning to make her presence known.

The closer the fog gets to the jail house the more difficult it is to take a breath. She can breathe, but the air itself seems to have grown heavy and Lene can almost taste something sweet on the tip of her tongue. She can only watch as the fog creeps closer, breathing in the strange sweet air until she feels almost dizzy with it.

She doesn’t know what to think when the fog stops just beyond the window. Swallowing hard, Lene leans up on the tips of her toes to see down onto the ground. There is nothing but loose dirt and few weeds determined to cling to life. Yet the fog has stopped, swirling and flowing a foot away from the window as if pressing up against an invisible barrier.

Lene yelps in shock when there is a thump against the door. Scrambling back from the window she retreats to the center of the room. With no obvious weapon at hand she grabs the bowl the guard had left. She hadn’t been hungry enough to eat it before, and now hopefully it can buy her a few seconds if she manages to sling the contents into the face of whoever was trying to break in.

With each thump and scuff on the outside of the door, Lene jumps, arms and legs shaking. She opens her mouth to call out but can’t bring herself to make a sound. Surely if it was the soldiers they would have shouted something right? Was it someone from the village who was determined to make her pay for ‘betraying’ her own kind. Was it one of the soldiers who had descended on the village to deal with the monster they had caught?

When the door slams open, Lene swallows back a scream and throws the bowl with its contents at the figure looming in the doorway. In the dark she can barely make out anything beyond a vague shape and there is a soft thud as the bowl strikes true.

The quiet clatter of the bowl falling is the only sound Lene can hear over the frantic pounding of her heartbeat in her ears. What little moonlight manages to slip through the window is not enough to give her a good look at the intruder.

“Did you just throw soup at me?”

Lene sucks in a breath, fear falling away so fast it leaves her dizzy. “Asii? What are you doing here?”

“You didn’t answer the question.” With a vague gesture that Lene can barely make out in the darkness of the cell, a small ball of light flickers into being in Asii’s hand. It’s a soft, warm glow, casting shadows across the other woman’s face.

Where before there was the shadowed impression of humanity, beneath the gentle mage light the impression is stripped away to reveal the truth. Golden eyes with a slash of black pupil stare out of a human face covered in a wash of tiny scales. Two black horns starting at Asii’s brow curve back in a twist, following the shape of her skull. The hood of her cloak is pulled up to the base of her horns, concealing the lack of hair and the ridges of flesh that Lene has seen flare out into a living hood when the naga grows frustrated.

It is a face out of tales told around the fire, stories meant to warn children of the dangers the deep wood held in its heart. Once she would have been afraid, but a chance encounter and a year long friendship leaves Lene only feeling sharp relief.

Which quickly turns to alarm since Asii is here, in the village, just after Lene risked everything to get her out.

“What are you doing here?” Lene hisses, stalking forward on still wobbly legs. “Are you insane? Do you have any idea what the village will do to you if they catch you?”

She regrets the question when Asii’s eyes narrow. “I have a very good idea of what they will do. But you are the one who isss insssane if you think I would leave you here after what you did.” Asii takes a breath, the hiss in her words hinting at how close her temper is to the surface. “Come, the fog will keep everyone who breathesss it asssleep. But it will not lassst long.”

Turning, Asii slides back the way she came, her tail giving an irritable flick to beckon Lene after her. Lene doesn’t hesitate to follow her out, walking out of the cell without a backwards glance. She ends up stepping over one of the soldiers who is sprawled out on the floor, eyes closed and snoring softly.

“I didn’t know you could do magic,” Lene whispers, nervous in spite of her confidence that Asii knows what she is doing.

Asii snorts. “I can only do small things such as this.” With a twist of her wrist the light she’d created winks out. She holds out a hand before Lene can step outside the door of the jail house, where the fog twists and roils just beyond the threshold. It’s an unnecessary precaution since Lene has no intention of stepping outside. “One moment, I need to grab the ward.”

Reaching into her belt pouch, Asii pulls out a small charm. It is small and circular, as if someone took a thin white branch and twisted it together until it formed a flat disk, the slender wood spiraling into itself. Each layer is held together with neat rows of thin red string, each one tied off and forming a tail until there are dozens flowing off of the small charm. It is a symbol that Lene has been Asii wearing before as a necklace or neatly embroidered on a cloak.

“What is that?” Lene asks. The sound of her voice sounds strange, almost distorted.

“It will keep the fog away. It would hardly be a successful rescue attempt if we got caught in our own trap.”

Lene speaks without thinking. “You shouldn’t have risked yourself like this. I barely managed to get you away the first time.”
It is difficult to see in the faded moonlight, weakened by the fog that continues to swirl just out of reach, but Lene can see the way Asii stiffens. The winding length of her snake’s tail hits the ground with a dull ‘thwap’ of sound, and Lene has only a moment to realize that she might have been better off biting her tongue when Asii grabs the front of her tunic and hauls Lene in until their noses are barely touching.

“If you think for a moment I wasss going to leave you here to sssuffer the consssequencesss….” Asii cuts herself off and sucks in a breath. “I was always going to come for you, Lene.”

With their faces so close, Lene can see where patches of scales on Asii’s face are bent and torn. Even with a Naga’s innate magic, the other woman had not fully recovered from her time of captivity. The barely chained ferocity there is breathtaking, and humbling. Lene leans in to press their foreheads together, sharing air as Asii taught her was custom amongst her people. Lene does not possess the fangs and venom that mark the gesture as one of trust amongst the Naga, but as a defenseless human with no fangs of her own to defend herself, the trust is inherent.

“I guess we’re even,” Lene breathes. “What happens now?”

Asii breathes out and leans back. She holds up the small amulet and as she does the fog wavers and curls away. “This will protect us from the spelled fog that is keeping the village asleep.” The way she sneers the word ‘village’ hints that she was thinking of a different word. Probably ‘monster’, the irony would have been appropriate. “The safest place for you right now is my home.”

Lene blinks. “Are you sure that’s a good idea? I didn’t think your people trusted humans.”

Asii nods. “They do not. But they know what you did for me. You, they will welcome.”

The thought of seeing the Naga village, given shape by Asii’s stories for the past year is almost too good to be true.

Apparently recognising Lene’s disbelief, Asii holds up the warded amulet. “As I said, I cannot craft this kind of power. It was a gift from my grandmother in order to bring you home. Will you come with me?”

Lene laughs, and if it carries with it the hint of tears they both ignore it. “I can’t imagine anywhere else I would rather be,” Lene admits.
Asii sighs and offers her hand. “Good, it would have been difficult carrying you out of here.”

Taking the Naga’s hand and walking into the fog, Lene decides to wait until they get home before having that particular argument.
_______
You are
Shadowborn,
my child
4mTLFAP.png
...created when I
breathed life into
Shadow
[img]https://i.imgur.com/HCzRAan.png[/img] [b]Words:[/b] [i]Drift, Library, Crystal[/i] It was while reaching for her third stack of books that Cate was forced to acknowledge she was going to be spending another night in the library. With a low groan she shoved aside the stack of books she’d been working on and pressed the side of her face into the table. Only to immediately inhale a patch of dust and shoot back up so she could sneeze in rapid succession. Head reeling she braced her elbows on the table and sank her face into her hands, which was only marginally better. She was covered in dust and now that she was no longer caught up in the endless work of cataloging, she was all too aware of how itchy she was. Cate tried to ignore her discomfort since there was very little chance she was going to be able to finish this project any time soon. The long oak table was almost groaning beneath the myriad stacks of books, some almost shapeless beneath a thick layer of dust and grime. She still had hours, maybe even days of work ahead of her, and she was already so tired. Gritting her teeth around the curses that she absolutely refused to give voice to, she wasn’t sure she would be able to stop if she started, Cate straightened up and reached for another book. Ignoring the vastly smaller pile of ‘finished’ books behind her, she placed the book directly in front of her seat and closed her eyes. Technically she wasn’t supposed to close her eyes since that only made it harder for her to focus with her eyes open, but Professor Graden had long since excused himself to retire for the night, and so she was going to do it with her eyes closed. It took her a few moments to focus since her eyes had begun to burn. Clearly she’d gotten dust in her eyes too, as well as her nose. Which is what happened when getting saddled with a huge project that was supposed to be handled by several apprentices instead of one. Cate took a deep breath as the burn behind her eyes refused to ease. It was stupid to get upset about this when she knew what she was in for long before she’d joined the academy. The study of magic was a noble pursuit, only for those whose blood carried the seeds of power passed down through the generations. Not for random mutts who were blessed, or cursed depending on point of view, with a touch of magic. Not that she had just a ‘touch’, which was why it was so much worse. If she’d only had a spark then she could have been ‘forgiven’ for not knowing her place. It was the strength of her gift that made everyone look at her sidelong. Wondering which noble family scion had strayed from their equals to dabble with those of lesser blood. “Enough”, she muttered. “Thinking about it isn’t going to get these books cleaned and organized.” Plus she knew she was going to be the only one to get in trouble when Master Graden came back tomorrow and the books still hadn’t been organized. Taking another breath, Cate tried to clear her mind with a force of will. Habit and long practice should have helped ease her into the meditative state she needed, but it continued to elude her. The frustrated burn behind her eyes threatened to turn into actual tears. Admittedly, it wasn’t as if the rest of the apprentices assigned to this project had been much help. All of the books were from a recent archeological site funded by the academy; supposedly from the heart of one of the ruins located in the Great Waste. The rumors flew thick and fast about the expedition, each one spinning out a wild tale that was beyond belief. What everyone had been able to agree on was that the collection had been located in a place of power and so the books were undoubtedly magical in nature. Which meant any attempt to throw a cleaning spell at the books could result in some pretty terrifying results, from summoning random eldritch horrors to turning the whole pile of them into kindling. Hence the apprentices, who could practice sensing magic and casting basic cleaning spells. A perfect solution for the professors, if an incredibly dusty and frustrating one for the apprentices. Or rather one unlucky apprentice in particular who was absolutely not focusing on her scrying spell like she should. Cate blew out a breath that made her bangs flutter. Being frustrated wasn’t going to help. All it did was fill her with the sacrilegious impulse to start throwing things, starting with the book in front of her. For the third time she closed her eyes and attempted to clear her mind, deciding then and there that if she couldn’t focus enough to sense anything with this attempt then she was going to call it a night. There was really no point in being miserable in the library and not working, when she could be miserable in her room. The meditative state she’d been striving for slipped into place and if it wouldn’t have ruined the pattern of her breathing, Cate would have sighed in relief. At least one thing was going right that evening. Scrying was considered one of the basic arts of magecraft and Cate had proven to have a knack for the skill from her very first lesson. According to the masters, she’d been doing some level of scrying on an almost instinctive level for years. Which hadn’t been a huge surprise to her. She’d always had a sense about whether something was off or not. Like the book in front of her. Cate frowned and let her hand hover over the book. Just another way she hampered her talent, according to the professors, using her physical senses to augment what her magical senses were telling her. Yet she refused to stop since sometimes her normal senses helped to fill in the gaps that her magic left behind. For instance, with her hand hovering over the book she got a sense of…heat? Like holding her hand over a candle. A steady heat that could easily shift over into something on the edge of painful, and when she ‘listened’ with her magic, she got the impression of shifting sands, as if something was hidden just out of sight. Opening her eyes, Cate considered the book with wary curiosity. With a second, more thorough look she confirmed that it looked just like the rest of the books in the pile. The material it was bound with had an odd texture to it, almost soft beneath her fingertips. Sand still managed to cling to an odd crevice where the material had been gathered near the spine and in the string used to bind the sheaves into place. It was covered in stains that ranged from pale brown where someone had etched the long forgotten words of their language into the leather like material, to almost black along the edges of the cover. Set in the very center of the cover was a flat black stone that had been secured with what appeared to be some kind of copper colored wire. Glancing back at the pile of books still waiting to be scryed, she could see several more with the same twisting metal arranged into different decorations. One of the books had the wire shaped into swirls that curled around the corners of the book, another was bound closed with it. From what she could see, none of the other books had the same kind of flat, black stone. Leaning closer, Cate could see that the stone was faceted. As if it were some kind of black crystal. She had heard of a type of black rock that came from lava, but not of a black crystal. Considering the strange sense of desert magic she could sense on it, and the weird stone set into the cover, it was definitely going into the pile for the professors to deal with. She picked up the book to carry it over to the designated table, and her thumb grazed the black crystal. She froze when red bloomed across the black where her thumb had made contact. As she watched the swirl of red grew and grew until it overtook the black entirely. The newly red crystal seemed to glitter in the magelights overhead and Cate carefully set it on the table meant for the enchanted books. After a thought she carefully eased it to the bottom of the pile. Cate stood there for a long moment, thinking about books from an ancient ruin and spells that felt like the heart of a desert in her mind’s eye. About what it might mean that a black crystal turned red at her touch. Maybe it was for the best that she was alone, since she didn’t think she could afford to draw any more attention to herself than she already had. As she turned back to her work, Cate made a note to look into black crystals. Just in case.
HCzRAan.png

Words: Drift, Library, Crystal

It was while reaching for her third stack of books that Cate was forced to acknowledge she was going to be spending another night in the library. With a low groan she shoved aside the stack of books she’d been working on and pressed the side of her face into the table. Only to immediately inhale a patch of dust and shoot back up so she could sneeze in rapid succession. Head reeling she braced her elbows on the table and sank her face into her hands, which was only marginally better. She was covered in dust and now that she was no longer caught up in the endless work of cataloging, she was all too aware of how itchy she was.

Cate tried to ignore her discomfort since there was very little chance she was going to be able to finish this project any time soon. The long oak table was almost groaning beneath the myriad stacks of books, some almost shapeless beneath a thick layer of dust and grime. She still had hours, maybe even days of work ahead of her, and she was already so tired.

Gritting her teeth around the curses that she absolutely refused to give voice to, she wasn’t sure she would be able to stop if she started, Cate straightened up and reached for another book. Ignoring the vastly smaller pile of ‘finished’ books behind her, she placed the book directly in front of her seat and closed her eyes.

Technically she wasn’t supposed to close her eyes since that only made it harder for her to focus with her eyes open, but Professor Graden had long since excused himself to retire for the night, and so she was going to do it with her eyes closed. It took her a few moments to focus since her eyes had begun to burn. Clearly she’d gotten dust in her eyes too, as well as her nose. Which is what happened when getting saddled with a huge project that was supposed to be handled by several apprentices instead of one.

Cate took a deep breath as the burn behind her eyes refused to ease. It was stupid to get upset about this when she knew what she was in for long before she’d joined the academy. The study of magic was a noble pursuit, only for those whose blood carried the seeds of power passed down through the generations. Not for random mutts who were blessed, or cursed depending on point of view, with a touch of magic.

Not that she had just a ‘touch’, which was why it was so much worse. If she’d only had a spark then she could have been ‘forgiven’ for not knowing her place. It was the strength of her gift that made everyone look at her sidelong. Wondering which noble family scion had strayed from their equals to dabble with those of lesser blood.

“Enough”, she muttered. “Thinking about it isn’t going to get these books cleaned and organized.”

Plus she knew she was going to be the only one to get in trouble when Master Graden came back tomorrow and the books still hadn’t been organized.

Taking another breath, Cate tried to clear her mind with a force of will. Habit and long practice should have helped ease her into the meditative state she needed, but it continued to elude her. The frustrated burn behind her eyes threatened to turn into actual tears.

Admittedly, it wasn’t as if the rest of the apprentices assigned to this project had been much help. All of the books were from a recent archeological site funded by the academy; supposedly from the heart of one of the ruins located in the Great Waste. The rumors flew thick and fast about the expedition, each one spinning out a wild tale that was beyond belief. What everyone had been able to agree on was that the collection had been located in a place of power and so the books were undoubtedly magical in nature.

Which meant any attempt to throw a cleaning spell at the books could result in some pretty terrifying results, from summoning random eldritch horrors to turning the whole pile of them into kindling. Hence the apprentices, who could practice sensing magic and casting basic cleaning spells.

A perfect solution for the professors, if an incredibly dusty and frustrating one for the apprentices.

Or rather one unlucky apprentice in particular who was absolutely not focusing on her scrying spell like she should.

Cate blew out a breath that made her bangs flutter. Being frustrated wasn’t going to help. All it did was fill her with the sacrilegious impulse to start throwing things, starting with the book in front of her. For the third time she closed her eyes and attempted to clear her mind, deciding then and there that if she couldn’t focus enough to sense anything with this attempt then she was going to call it a night. There was really no point in being miserable in the library and not working, when she could be miserable in her room.

The meditative state she’d been striving for slipped into place and if it wouldn’t have ruined the pattern of her breathing, Cate would have sighed in relief. At least one thing was going right that evening.

Scrying was considered one of the basic arts of magecraft and Cate had proven to have a knack for the skill from her very first lesson. According to the masters, she’d been doing some level of scrying on an almost instinctive level for years. Which hadn’t been a huge surprise to her. She’d always had a sense about whether something was off or not.

Like the book in front of her.

Cate frowned and let her hand hover over the book. Just another way she hampered her talent, according to the professors, using her physical senses to augment what her magical senses were telling her. Yet she refused to stop since sometimes her normal senses helped to fill in the gaps that her magic left behind. For instance, with her hand hovering over the book she got a sense of…heat?

Like holding her hand over a candle. A steady heat that could easily shift over into something on the edge of painful, and when she ‘listened’ with her magic, she got the impression of shifting sands, as if something was hidden just out of sight.

Opening her eyes, Cate considered the book with wary curiosity. With a second, more thorough look she confirmed that it looked just like the rest of the books in the pile. The material it was bound with had an odd texture to it, almost soft beneath her fingertips. Sand still managed to cling to an odd crevice where the material had been gathered near the spine and in the string used to bind the sheaves into place. It was covered in stains that ranged from pale brown where someone had etched the long forgotten words of their language into the leather like material, to almost black along the edges of the cover.

Set in the very center of the cover was a flat black stone that had been secured with what appeared to be some kind of copper colored wire. Glancing back at the pile of books still waiting to be scryed, she could see several more with the same twisting metal arranged into different decorations. One of the books had the wire shaped into swirls that curled around the corners of the book, another was bound closed with it.

From what she could see, none of the other books had the same kind of flat, black stone. Leaning closer, Cate could see that the stone was faceted. As if it were some kind of black crystal. She had heard of a type of black rock that came from lava, but not of a black crystal.

Considering the strange sense of desert magic she could sense on it, and the weird stone set into the cover, it was definitely going into the pile for the professors to deal with. She picked up the book to carry it over to the designated table, and her thumb grazed the black crystal.

She froze when red bloomed across the black where her thumb had made contact. As she watched the swirl of red grew and grew until it overtook the black entirely. The newly red crystal seemed to glitter in the magelights overhead and Cate carefully set it on the table meant for the enchanted books. After a thought she carefully eased it to the bottom of the pile.

Cate stood there for a long moment, thinking about books from an ancient ruin and spells that felt like the heart of a desert in her mind’s eye. About what it might mean that a black crystal turned red at her touch. Maybe it was for the best that she was alone, since she didn’t think she could afford to draw any more attention to herself than she already had.

As she turned back to her work, Cate made a note to look into black crystals. Just in case.
_______
You are
Shadowborn,
my child
4mTLFAP.png
...created when I
breathed life into
Shadow