Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Flight Rising 98
1 2
ah damn i guess that is to be expected (not terribly familiar with win98 because we didn't own a desktop till xp was rolled out), does make me wonder what image storage and generation is like compared to a good 2 decades ago because there are some very loud geocities and personal websites that could load just fine even back in the day.
ah damn i guess that is to be expected (not terribly familiar with win98 because we didn't own a desktop till xp was rolled out), does make me wonder what image storage and generation is like compared to a good 2 decades ago because there are some very loud geocities and personal websites that could load just fine even back in the day.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
@bulrush it's actually more a CSS/HTML issue! if you look at the html for most of those geocities sites, or (for an example I've been looking at a lot recently for a separate project ) the Netscape homepage from 2000, you'll notice a lot of table elements! That's mostly to maintain compatibility with browsers that work based on code from before 1997, where the <div> tag (which you'll notice is used a lot in the flight rising HTML (and almost all modern HTML ) ) didn't exist.

Netscape 4 released in early 1997, and they probably didn't update the renderer for it to support the <div> tag (also a CSS issue, because CSS2 was released in 1998 ).
IE5 was released 1999, which is why it looks better. It still doesn't look as good as Opera, probably because it doesn't support CSS3 (launched in 1999, so IE5 wouldn't've had the time to add support ), so several tags and such aren't going to display correctly. Geocities sites are going to look fine because they weren't made with those features because they didn't exist. (and, for XP, all the standards existed (HTML4 and CSS4, the last big updates until HTML5 in 2011, released 1999, well before the 2001 release of XP ) )

(The wonky transparency and a few more image issues are definitely an issue with the browsers themselves, but they're not the main cause of the display problems )
@bulrush it's actually more a CSS/HTML issue! if you look at the html for most of those geocities sites, or (for an example I've been looking at a lot recently for a separate project ) the Netscape homepage from 2000, you'll notice a lot of table elements! That's mostly to maintain compatibility with browsers that work based on code from before 1997, where the <div> tag (which you'll notice is used a lot in the flight rising HTML (and almost all modern HTML ) ) didn't exist.

Netscape 4 released in early 1997, and they probably didn't update the renderer for it to support the <div> tag (also a CSS issue, because CSS2 was released in 1998 ).
IE5 was released 1999, which is why it looks better. It still doesn't look as good as Opera, probably because it doesn't support CSS3 (launched in 1999, so IE5 wouldn't've had the time to add support ), so several tags and such aren't going to display correctly. Geocities sites are going to look fine because they weren't made with those features because they didn't exist. (and, for XP, all the standards existed (HTML4 and CSS4, the last big updates until HTML5 in 2011, released 1999, well before the 2001 release of XP ) )

(The wonky transparency and a few more image issues are definitely an issue with the browsers themselves, but they're not the main cause of the display problems )
i don't have anything to add but i do want to say thank you for humoring my replies that's actually super interesting. my html knowledge pretty much starts and ends with neopets with a little bit of fiddling around with themes on tumblr.
i don't have anything to add but i do want to say thank you for humoring my replies that's actually super interesting. my html knowledge pretty much starts and ends with neopets with a little bit of fiddling around with themes on tumblr.
sunflowers and leavessunflowers and leaves
[quote name="@Lonin" date="2023-10-20 08:21:20" ] :D This is really cool. We really need someone to redesign FR in a 90s/early 00s style now. [/quote] Not a from-scratch redesign, because it's really just a reworking of the [url=https://web.archive.org/web/20000301135303/http://home.netscape.com/computing/download/index.html?cp=hom02x4]2000 Netscape downloads homepage[/url], but I made a quick recreation on [url=https://the-colour-of-fear.neocities.org/FR98/]my website[/url]. A lot of the links won't work, and you'll have to pretend to be Lightweaver, but it's what I've got so far. (I intend to expand it later, but no promises ). Only checked that it was working on Navigator 4.8 & Firefox 118, so no promises on IE4 ;p (if you see anything I screwed up horribly, like leaving in archive.org links or javascript files from ruffle, please tell me because I want this to work as well as it possibly can )
@Lonin wrote on 2023-10-20 08:21:20:
:D This is really cool.
We really need someone to redesign FR in a 90s/early 00s style now.
Not a from-scratch redesign, because it's really just a reworking of the 2000 Netscape downloads homepage, but I made a quick recreation on my website. A lot of the links won't work, and you'll have to pretend to be Lightweaver, but it's what I've got so far. (I intend to expand it later, but no promises ).
Only checked that it was working on Navigator 4.8 & Firefox 118, so no promises on IE4 ;p
(if you see anything I screwed up horribly, like leaving in archive.org links or javascript files from ruffle, please tell me because I want this to work as well as it possibly can )
THE AESTHETIC THOOO
THE AESTHETIC THOOO
beacon of the radiant eye terarrium & iri | FR+2 | lightdom | imperial dragons #1 fan
badge hub & wishlist | art shop | avatar dragon
howdy folks. i like dogs, baking, cooking, illustration, and high-fantasy stuff! you can find me at your local renaissance faire dressed up as an elf, probably :)
This is amazing.
This is amazing.
tumblr_inline_nhxp29cBNA1qcphlu.png
Buying an additional apparel slot
unlocks it for ALL your dragons,
not just one!
1 2