Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Accessibility
1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28 29
DARK MODE LES GOOOOOOO
DARK MODE LES GOOOOOOO
I'm a pebble vacationing in Water for a bit. Don't mind me.
e0E8Rzw.png
Here’s a suggestion, how about having multiple site theme options other than just dark mode - and the option for people to make custom site themes! Both so they can have colors they enjoy and also to make things accessible for each person

I love the default red and gold, but I’d also love to see what FR would look like in pink and I’m sure others would too. Having multiple default color options in addition to dark mode would be a great option, as well as making it possible to customize colors to your preferences.
Here’s a suggestion, how about having multiple site theme options other than just dark mode - and the option for people to make custom site themes! Both so they can have colors they enjoy and also to make things accessible for each person

I love the default red and gold, but I’d also love to see what FR would look like in pink and I’m sure others would too. Having multiple default color options in addition to dark mode would be a great option, as well as making it possible to customize colors to your preferences.
Lover of Faes and Aethers
Thank you devs! It's cool to see a site develop in real time!
Thank you devs! It's cool to see a site develop in real time!
W3zVYMS.png
[quote name="SanicX" date="2023-08-25 04:44:20" ] [quote name="Foxofwonders" date="2023-08-25 04:08:07" ] Not part of the target audience, but happy for those who will be able to enjoy FR more after this! Out of curiosity, while we're talking about being able to use the website using alternative tech, why is there (little to) no attention to the mobile version of the website? I imagine a lot of people (would like to be able to) use phones to visit the websites, but pop-ups sometimes appear outside the visible screen which makes it a frustrating kind of hide-and-seek, and the menu on the left is horrible for phone screens, requiring me to zoom in an absurd amount to ensure I can click the correct text. I think there's a lot to be gained there for those who don't always have access to a lapto, desktop, or large tablet. [/quote] Came here to say this. I love these accessibility updates (especially planned dark mode) but holy hell this website is borderline unusable on mobile, especially as a Firefox user, sometimes this site feels actively hostile. It would he nice to know if a mobile version of the site is planned. [/quote] Fully agree with this. I'm actually typing this on my phone right now. Mobile accessibility is pretty much essential now, and has been for a good number of years. Even using it on my iPad can be tricky. I have to use my Apple Pencil to navigate most of the time.
SanicX wrote on 2023-08-25 04:44:20:
Foxofwonders wrote on 2023-08-25 04:08:07:
Not part of the target audience, but happy for those who will be able to enjoy FR more after this!

Out of curiosity, while we're talking about being able to use the website using alternative tech, why is there (little to) no attention to the mobile version of the website?
I imagine a lot of people (would like to be able to) use phones to visit the websites, but pop-ups sometimes appear outside the visible screen which makes it a frustrating kind of hide-and-seek, and the menu on the left is horrible for phone screens, requiring me to zoom in an absurd amount to ensure I can click the correct text. I think there's a lot to be gained there for those who don't always have access to a lapto, desktop, or large tablet.

Came here to say this. I love these accessibility updates (especially planned dark mode) but holy hell this website is borderline unusable on mobile, especially as a Firefox user, sometimes this site feels actively hostile. It would he nice to know if a mobile version of the site is planned.
Fully agree with this. I'm actually typing this on my phone right now. Mobile accessibility is pretty much essential now, and has been for a good number of years. Even using it on my iPad can be tricky. I have to use my Apple Pencil to navigate most of the time.
this is so awesome to see!! even if i personally don't use screen readers it's always a happy day when options are added to support the enjoyment of a much larger group of people; that stuff is really important!!

also WOOHOOOO DARK MODE!! definitely hope we can customise our own site themes in the future too, or at least have theme options like m1mikyu suggested. either way, def excited :D
this is so awesome to see!! even if i personally don't use screen readers it's always a happy day when options are added to support the enjoyment of a much larger group of people; that stuff is really important!!

also WOOHOOOO DARK MODE!! definitely hope we can customise our own site themes in the future too, or at least have theme options like m1mikyu suggested. either way, def excited :D
9UH8qm7.png ___25,
they/them,
space alien

___
_._
_ fLdYOuE.png
HxL61bT.png
_ tyEuRXe.png
ar6gtVv.png
_ w9bDUNq.png
oNrZjs5.png

_ aLfu5UL.png _ FObX7rS.png _ IEAdiPZ.png
_ Qf7biHq.png
Dark mode dark mode dark mode dark mode!
Dark mode dark mode dark mode dark mode!
tn0RSo5.pngsh5xjiu.pngtNgQJvM.pngPDuDspB.png
xsluRnx.png
Very pleased with the idea of improving camping. I have like... 20/20 vision, don't even wear glasses, no vision disorders and it's frustrating for *me*.

Things i'd like to see on top of you mentioned
  • Thicker lines around the 'clickables' so even if they blend slightly with the background in terms of color they're easier to pick out
  • You need to be more aggressive with pruning familiars - I've played since basically launch and I STILL will accidentally click on familiars that look too much like dragons when I'm trying to quickly blow past a captcha. The gryphon familiars are particularly frustrating (four legs, 2 wings).
  • I beg of you remove the hatchlings from the pool. Sometimes it's literally faster for me to just click a random object to get a new captcha because I don't instantly see an adult dragon and have to assume I've gotten a hatchling. Picking out the hatching takes *so long* since they lack distinctive dragon-like silhouettes because their 'baby' features are exaggerated.
  • Consider removing the 'far out' ancient dragons from the pool. They look a lot like familiars at a quick glance, and especially to a new player they might not have the distinctive four legs, two wings that exemplify a dragon. Undertides in particular tend to take me forever to find.

Basically emphasize to the human brain to quickly tell at a glance what's a dragon and make them more visually distinct from the background. Which you are doing! But consider going a bit more aggressive than what you put forth.
Very pleased with the idea of improving camping. I have like... 20/20 vision, don't even wear glasses, no vision disorders and it's frustrating for *me*.

Things i'd like to see on top of you mentioned
  • Thicker lines around the 'clickables' so even if they blend slightly with the background in terms of color they're easier to pick out
  • You need to be more aggressive with pruning familiars - I've played since basically launch and I STILL will accidentally click on familiars that look too much like dragons when I'm trying to quickly blow past a captcha. The gryphon familiars are particularly frustrating (four legs, 2 wings).
  • I beg of you remove the hatchlings from the pool. Sometimes it's literally faster for me to just click a random object to get a new captcha because I don't instantly see an adult dragon and have to assume I've gotten a hatchling. Picking out the hatching takes *so long* since they lack distinctive dragon-like silhouettes because their 'baby' features are exaggerated.
  • Consider removing the 'far out' ancient dragons from the pool. They look a lot like familiars at a quick glance, and especially to a new player they might not have the distinctive four legs, two wings that exemplify a dragon. Undertides in particular tend to take me forever to find.

Basically emphasize to the human brain to quickly tell at a glance what's a dragon and make them more visually distinct from the background. Which you are doing! But consider going a bit more aggressive than what you put forth.
Nice! Excited to see what dark mode actually looks like
Nice! Excited to see what dark mode actually looks like
| link | they/he | FR+0 |
DARK MOOOOOOOOOODDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE [img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1056416403445530704/1144710667656511548/IT_ISNT_JOVER.png[/img]
DARK MOOOOOOOOOODDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

IT_ISNT_JOVER.png
473faa443895845aae732d5ce2f6cc37310e49f5.gif
As a legally blind person, all I really want are number place separators for large numbers, ( 1,000,000,000 instead of 1000000000 for example) so I don't have to physically point with my finger or mouse to keep the zeroes from blending together when counting large numbers. It is super annoying.
As a legally blind person, all I really want are number place separators for large numbers, ( 1,000,000,000 instead of 1000000000 for example) so I don't have to physically point with my finger or mouse to keep the zeroes from blending together when counting large numbers. It is super annoying.
1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 28 29