Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Dev Update: Accessibility
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 29
thank you, staff! i'm glad to see the ongoing plans as well! :)
thank you, staff! i'm glad to see the ongoing plans as well! :)
Wetdog | she/her | fr +3
[b][size=7]YEAAAA DARK MODE!!!![/size] [img]https://media.tenor.com/GVnKuE7CU_8AAAAd/woo-yea-baby-woo.gif[/img]
YEAAAA DARK MODE!!!!
woo-yea-baby-woo.gif
5gqCC4H.gif‎‎Please ping me! E718jtQ.gif
Congratulations on finishing a refactoring project! That's a huge achievement.
Congratulations on finishing a refactoring project! That's a huge achievement.
hHi8SF1.pngrix3ppo.png 63e7d1e32734cf1f42976aa3cf98d97aa5bb059a.png
to clarify re: update #2—is the team's plan to bring the access updates already implemented elsewhere on the site to those additional sections first (i.e. making the entire site screen reader friendly before doing additional passes for other accessibility features) or is it more likely to be a section-by-section type deal (where each part of the site is optimized "completely" before moving on to the next section)?

/longing for reduced clicks on routine tasks (anywhere it shouldn't affect ad revenue?, e.g. relist all, gathering, default to repeatable pursuits etc). lot of us with chronic hand pain / dexterity issues have been so would just be nice to know if we should get our hopes up?
to clarify re: update #2—is the team's plan to bring the access updates already implemented elsewhere on the site to those additional sections first (i.e. making the entire site screen reader friendly before doing additional passes for other accessibility features) or is it more likely to be a section-by-section type deal (where each part of the site is optimized "completely" before moving on to the next section)?

/longing for reduced clicks on routine tasks (anywhere it shouldn't affect ad revenue?, e.g. relist all, gathering, default to repeatable pursuits etc). lot of us with chronic hand pain / dexterity issues have been so would just be nice to know if we should get our hopes up?
HdmxfuE.png
KYSFCiZ.png
eswSnrS.png
yQ62HIx.png
Need a Light nest?

Always happy to host for food / junk apparel / Baldwin
materials when I have space!
LOR2.png
Ooh, wonderful! Thank you, staff, for your thoughtfulness in such matters!

Dark mode is especially exciting - it's something I'll never use (the dark actually causes eyestrain for me lol) but I know a LOT if people really want/need it, so that'd be nice! :) (I wonder if, once the code is in, it would open up the possibility of site themes?)
Ooh, wonderful! Thank you, staff, for your thoughtfulness in such matters!

Dark mode is especially exciting - it's something I'll never use (the dark actually causes eyestrain for me lol) but I know a LOT if people really want/need it, so that'd be nice! :) (I wonder if, once the code is in, it would open up the possibility of site themes?)
Catfeather Loop fbwG7W5.png

please see shop front for specific pinglists
ive been waiting for dark mode since i started in like 2016 yippee! thanks :)
ive been waiting for dark mode since i started in like 2016 yippee! thanks :)
SPIKE
2CnjrDd.png Rw7uKRS.png UBaiWUV.png
@ZoranaDragon
there are also extensions specifically for FR that accounts for and accommodates all this. It's a css thing so doesn't affect or touch any of the game data and it is made by one person. Idk what you're talking about with the coli but the coli itself is a container box that is left untouched.

@Nekroba
just because light mode doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't affect others. I don't know how else to tell you that you should care about the needs of other people than your own.
@ZoranaDragon
there are also extensions specifically for FR that accounts for and accommodates all this. It's a css thing so doesn't affect or touch any of the game data and it is made by one person. Idk what you're talking about with the coli but the coli itself is a container box that is left untouched.

@Nekroba
just because light mode doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't affect others. I don't know how else to tell you that you should care about the needs of other people than your own.
2dMJezN.pngqIEuPPv.png
[quote name="krondar" date="2023-08-24 10:40:56" ] I don't tend to criticize a lot, but the fact that you haven't even started on Dark Mode at all is a little disheartening. Your website does not work well with any dark mode extension I have used, and it's the only website that has these issues. I wear sunglasses in my daily life, but they are polarized and I can't actually view screens when I wear them. Wanting to do it, after the refactor is done, may make sense to the team, but it doesn't make sense to me, a person who actually needs it. I would be much happier if there were even a couple few pages that didn't hurt my eyes and cause/worsen my headaches. It may "look bad" to only have this feature on some pages and not others, but I think it's more important than how it "looks." (if that's even the problem, I really have no idea and I'm not trying to imply that's the sole reason for it) Please reconsider waiting on it. I, for one, would really appreciate it if Dark Mode was implemented on at least a handful of pages, since it's technically "possible" by your standards (pages that have received a refactor.) Thanks for reading, if anyone on staff catches this. I don't think it will change anything but I wanted to speak up so that staff can get more opinions. [/quote] I agree completely. As someone with light eyes, I'm very light sensitive. I really hope that this isn't something devs put on the backburner. I would much rather have dark mode be something they make a priority before-let's say-another ancient breed.
krondar wrote on 2023-08-24 10:40:56:
I don't tend to criticize a lot, but the fact that you haven't even started on Dark Mode at all is a little disheartening. Your website does not work well with any dark mode extension I have used, and it's the only website that has these issues. I wear sunglasses in my daily life, but they are polarized and I can't actually view screens when I wear them.

Wanting to do it, after the refactor is done, may make sense to the team, but it doesn't make sense to me, a person who actually needs it. I would be much happier if there were even a couple few pages that didn't hurt my eyes and cause/worsen my headaches.

It may "look bad" to only have this feature on some pages and not others, but I think it's more important than how it "looks." (if that's even the problem, I really have no idea and I'm not trying to imply that's the sole reason for it)

Please reconsider waiting on it. I, for one, would really appreciate it if Dark Mode was implemented on at least a handful of pages, since it's technically "possible" by your standards (pages that have received a refactor.)

Thanks for reading, if anyone on staff catches this. I don't think it will change anything but I wanted to speak up so that staff can get more opinions.

I agree completely. As someone with light eyes, I'm very light sensitive. I really hope that this isn't something devs put on the backburner. I would much rather have dark mode be something they make a priority before-let's say-another ancient breed.
on2FzX5.png
I have been dying for there to be a dark mode for this site - my eyes strain easily, and due to a circadian rhythm disorder, I'm mostly on the site at night when it's dark. Having mostly bright white background is a little eye-searing even in the daytime, and at night... it's not fun. It's sometimes made me want to stop playing and I've grown to spend less time on here. I really hope it's a feature they implement sooner rather than later. I want it to stop hurting to use the website.
I have been dying for there to be a dark mode for this site - my eyes strain easily, and due to a circadian rhythm disorder, I'm mostly on the site at night when it's dark. Having mostly bright white background is a little eye-searing even in the daytime, and at night... it's not fun. It's sometimes made me want to stop playing and I've grown to spend less time on here. I really hope it's a feature they implement sooner rather than later. I want it to stop hurting to use the website.
Oh hey I figured out how to put something here!
@Xaz

I've tried using a few different extensions for FR, the coli had the menu flashing problem in all of them. The CSS in the extensions also changes a decent chunk of images to specifically work with their version of dark mode which were made or altered by the people who made the extensions, meaning the art team would need to do the same for every image that would cause issues with an official one. The CSS is also code that'd need to be on the site, just like the spaghetti code that was cleaned up with the refractor and could have messed up a dark mode if it was added beforehand. We can't know 100% what exactly had to be changed or removed that could make dark mode a mess to deal with while cleaning up.

Besides, not everyone knows the extensions exist, nor are they supported by the FR staff.
@Xaz

I've tried using a few different extensions for FR, the coli had the menu flashing problem in all of them. The CSS in the extensions also changes a decent chunk of images to specifically work with their version of dark mode which were made or altered by the people who made the extensions, meaning the art team would need to do the same for every image that would cause issues with an official one. The CSS is also code that'd need to be on the site, just like the spaghetti code that was cleaned up with the refractor and could have messed up a dark mode if it was added beforehand. We can't know 100% what exactly had to be changed or removed that could make dark mode a mess to deal with while cleaning up.

Besides, not everyone knows the extensions exist, nor are they supported by the FR staff.
PiAyg8i.png

A small flight banner, halve being fire and halve being wind.

Silver_Square.png
^ Fandragon ^
1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 29