Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Glass & Gloss' Genuine Genes
1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41 42
Why don't they have a trenchcoat on lmao
Why don't they have a trenchcoat on lmao
62a28eab19423fd06c81c0b57758ea57b3848a75.png
42d22711d27254841bd07f96db6eb09fe438054c.png
[Color=Orchid]OMG SHE IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS, I adore her genes and colors [emoji=aberration love size=1][/color]
OMG SHE IS ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS, I adore her genes and colors
dude i really want some deviled eggs like-
Yeeees I've been holding on some balwin genes for this! thier comparative recipes were way too high level for me to brew.

But most importantly!!! Holy heck this new NPC is gorgreous! I love them!
Yeeees I've been holding on some balwin genes for this! thier comparative recipes were way too high level for me to brew.

But most importantly!!! Holy heck this new NPC is gorgreous! I love them!
Vista: Transgender Ribbon XXXX XXXX Vista: Pansexual Ribbon
Aw yes! Hello new friend
Aw yes! Hello new friend
FR +2
she/they sidhe/fae
At this point I'm wondering what the need for modern vs ancient genes is at all. Why not just have 1 version of each gene and people can check the scrying workshop to see if it is applicable to the species they want to have it on? Kind of like how on Neopets not every pet can be painted every color & not every item can be worn by every species/color. A note in the tooltip like "This gene currently can only be applied to (breed)." or "This gene currently can only be applied to modern breeds, (ancient breed 1), and (ancient breed 2)." or even "This gene can only be applied to certain breeds." would be easy to keep track of and update when needed. The Scrying Workshop could have a section added to display all breeds that a gene can be used on somewhere in addition to all genes the selected breed can use (as it is currently). I feel like this would solve nearly all of the problems with gene bloat.

This might also mean that when a new ancient breed is released, there'll only be 1-4 entirely new genes total (instead of multiple per primary/secondary/tertiary zone) and the rest will be existing ancient genes that are still not applicable to all breeds (Blossom, Branches, Kumo, etc.) to keep things exciting + the usual modern "mirrored" genes (Cry/Fac, Pie/Paint, Pin/Trail, Stained, Peacock, etc.). There are enough "New" ancient genes now that it shouldn't be too hard to find existing ones (like Sandsurge's Sailfish/Marlin, Undertide's Wolf/Pack, Veilspun's Shell/Web, and many more that are equally versatile) that would fit the next ancient breed in the works.
At this point I'm wondering what the need for modern vs ancient genes is at all. Why not just have 1 version of each gene and people can check the scrying workshop to see if it is applicable to the species they want to have it on? Kind of like how on Neopets not every pet can be painted every color & not every item can be worn by every species/color. A note in the tooltip like "This gene currently can only be applied to (breed)." or "This gene currently can only be applied to modern breeds, (ancient breed 1), and (ancient breed 2)." or even "This gene can only be applied to certain breeds." would be easy to keep track of and update when needed. The Scrying Workshop could have a section added to display all breeds that a gene can be used on somewhere in addition to all genes the selected breed can use (as it is currently). I feel like this would solve nearly all of the problems with gene bloat.

This might also mean that when a new ancient breed is released, there'll only be 1-4 entirely new genes total (instead of multiple per primary/secondary/tertiary zone) and the rest will be existing ancient genes that are still not applicable to all breeds (Blossom, Branches, Kumo, etc.) to keep things exciting + the usual modern "mirrored" genes (Cry/Fac, Pie/Paint, Pin/Trail, Stained, Peacock, etc.). There are enough "New" ancient genes now that it shouldn't be too hard to find existing ones (like Sandsurge's Sailfish/Marlin, Undertide's Wolf/Pack, Veilspun's Shell/Web, and many more that are equally versatile) that would fit the next ancient breed in the works.
2578316.pngNeko_infobox.gif2562874.png
[quote name="Undel" date="2023-08-17 12:18:45" ] [b]Swipp Genes:[/b] The following genes have modern counterparts available as potential trades in [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/trading/swipp]Swipp's Swap Stand[/url]. [LIST] [*][b]Tertiary Gene: Firefly (Aberration)(Veilspun)[/b] now available by exchanging [gamedb item=26606]. The ancient versions of these genes have been removed from [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/trading/swipp]Swipp's Swap Stand[/url] list of potential trades. The modern version continues to be a trade available from [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/trading/swipp]Swipp's Swap Stand[/url], has had its frequency increased, had the [gamedb item=25773] needed reduced by 10, and had the [gamedb item=26127] component of the trade swapped out for the easier to obtain [gamedb item=41978] from the previous aberration version of the trade. [/LIST] [/quote] Curious what the plan is for branches - two versions of it in swipp's swap still, for sandsurge and veilspun. Waiting on the sandsurge version for over a week now... @undel
Undel wrote on 2023-08-17 12:18:45:

Swipp Genes:
The following genes have modern counterparts available as potential trades in Swipp's Swap Stand.
  • Tertiary Gene: Firefly (Aberration)(Veilspun) now available by exchanging Tertiary Gene: Firefly. The ancient versions of these genes have been removed from Swipp's Swap Stand list of potential trades. The modern version continues to be a trade available from Swipp's Swap Stand, has had its frequency increased, had the Fanned Cockroach needed reduced by 10, and had the Firebug component of the trade swapped out for the easier to obtain Inky Baby from the previous aberration version of the trade.

Curious what the plan is for branches - two versions of it in swipp's swap still, for sandsurge and veilspun. Waiting on the sandsurge version for over a week now... @undel
[img]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/778313166991654936/1142167349097676880/image.png[/img] staff have delivered me from my suffering. what a miracle this update was
image.png

staff have delivered me from my suffering. what a miracle this update was
britwhalebadge.png
[quote name="calankh" date="2023-08-18 11:44:26" ] [quote name="Undel" date="2023-08-17 12:18:45" ] [b]Swipp Genes:[/b] The following genes have modern counterparts available as potential trades in [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/trading/swipp]Swipp's Swap Stand[/url]. [LIST] [*][b]Tertiary Gene: Firefly (Aberration)(Veilspun)[/b] now available by exchanging [gamedb item=26606]. The ancient versions of these genes have been removed from [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/trading/swipp]Swipp's Swap Stand[/url] list of potential trades. The modern version continues to be a trade available from [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/trading/swipp]Swipp's Swap Stand[/url], has had its frequency increased, had the [gamedb item=25773] needed reduced by 10, and had the [gamedb item=26127] component of the trade swapped out for the easier to obtain [gamedb item=41978] from the previous aberration version of the trade. [/LIST] [/quote] Curious what the plan is for branches - two versions of it in swipp's swap still, for sandsurge and veilspun. Waiting on the sandsurge version for over a week now... @undel [/quote] @calankh Branches has no Modern equivalent, therefore is unaffected by this change, as is consistent with all other Ancient only genes (such as Blossom for Gaoler which is also a Swipp gene) Any Ancient gene that is Ancient exclusive, will stay as it was, the only reason Firefly has changed is because it has a Modern equivalent, which can be exchanged for the Ancient version of the gene. I can’t quote the FAQ post directly cause I’m on mobile but, it does state this.
calankh wrote on 2023-08-18 11:44:26:
Undel wrote on 2023-08-17 12:18:45:

Swipp Genes:
The following genes have modern counterparts available as potential trades in Swipp's Swap Stand.
  • Tertiary Gene: Firefly (Aberration)(Veilspun) now available by exchanging Tertiary Gene: Firefly. The ancient versions of these genes have been removed from Swipp's Swap Stand list of potential trades. The modern version continues to be a trade available from Swipp's Swap Stand, has had its frequency increased, had the Fanned Cockroach needed reduced by 10, and had the Firebug component of the trade swapped out for the easier to obtain Inky Baby from the previous aberration version of the trade.

Curious what the plan is for branches - two versions of it in swipp's swap still, for sandsurge and veilspun. Waiting on the sandsurge version for over a week now... @undel

@calankh

Branches has no Modern equivalent, therefore is unaffected by this change, as is consistent with all other Ancient only genes (such as Blossom for Gaoler which is also a Swipp gene)

Any Ancient gene that is Ancient exclusive, will stay as it was, the only reason Firefly has changed is because it has a Modern equivalent, which can be exchanged for the Ancient version of the gene. I can’t quote the FAQ post directly cause I’m on mobile but, it does state this.
972ee6408be03363898b64bb29e640034b1310b4.png7667dd2c536ecd719b369737ff16de5f7adb05d1.pnge6cfb360af67b7bc3881ae209414f2ca128d5b19.png
[quote name="MegaAbsol" date="2023-08-18 11:06:10" ] At this point I'm wondering what the need for modern vs ancient genes is at all. Why not just have 1 version of each gene and people can check the scrying workshop to see if it is applicable to the species they want to have it on? Kind of like how on Neopets not every pet can be painted every color & not every item can be worn by every species/color. A note in the tooltip like "This gene currently can only be applied to (breed)." or "This gene currently can only be applied to modern breeds, (ancient breed 1), and (ancient breed 2)." or even "This gene can only be applied to certain breeds." would be easy to keep track of and update when needed. The Scrying Workshop could have a section added to display all breeds that a gene can be used on somewhere in addition to all genes the selected breed can use (as it is currently). I feel like this would solve nearly all of the problems with gene bloat. This might also mean that when a new ancient breed is released, there'll only be 1-4 entirely new genes total (instead of multiple per primary/secondary/tertiary zone) and the rest will be existing ancient genes that are still not applicable to all breeds (Blossom, Branches, Kumo, etc.) to keep things exciting + the usual modern "mirrored" genes (Cry/Fac, Pie/Paint, Pin/Trail, Stained, Peacock, etc.). There are enough "New" ancient genes now that it shouldn't be too hard to find existing ones (like Sandsurge's Sailfish/Marlin, Undertide's Wolf/Pack, Veilspun's Shell/Web, and many more that are equally versatile) that would fit the next ancient breed in the works. [/quote] I do wish it was possible to handle things like this. The only problem I can see with this implementation is confusion over what can be applied to what, and like you said, that can be handled by just being thorough in descriptions or having them all link to a page with the disambiguation. Having one item that works on everything applicable is a much neater solution than having individual genes for every ancient breed. Though if it has to be like this, I do prefer things being interchangeable a la this new exchange over the system we had before, where everything was obtained separately.
MegaAbsol wrote on 2023-08-18 11:06:10:

I do wish it was possible to handle things like this. The only problem I can see with this implementation is confusion over what can be applied to what, and like you said, that can be handled by just being thorough in descriptions or having them all link to a page with the disambiguation.

Having one item that works on everything applicable is a much neater solution than having individual genes for every ancient breed. Though if it has to be like this, I do prefer things being interchangeable a la this new exchange over the system we had before, where everything was obtained separately.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
This took me by surprise, I mean the period when ancient pararells of this gene group were not available at all:P But anyway! It's a start indeed:) I'm glad to see something is being done^^ I think I found a simple, balanced and effective solution to the rest of the pararell-genes bloat specifically, I mean if the UI is to stay unchanged (for now or overall) as I relied on how FR is already built from my point of view [u] [b]The idea is as follows [/b][/u](bold simply serves navigation): Merge all non-modern gene items into 1 Ancient gene item and end up with [b]2 gene items total for each: Modern and Ancient[/b]. And that's it. 2 variants of each single gene item: [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/978777805741522984/1142132346271838348/image.png[/img] [b]List the breeds the gene (ancient) is currently applicable for somewhere in this section (in alphabetical order)[/b], to keep this information accessible without the need to reload a new(database) page, e.g.: [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/978777805741522984/1142132488618119188/image.png[/img] another example: [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/978777805741522984/1142135521812947035/image.png[/img] or simply just anywhere in this section Would this prevent ADHD-like mistakes(ADHD-friendly=everyone-friendly)? No, but I don't think it would increase them either. The brackets or mini portraits are pretty much invisible to an ADHD brain most of the time anyway(at least in the moments when those matter the most;'D)... With SO many separate items per gene(and still growing) we're having now, I tried but I see no way how my suggestion could increase the overall mistake probability over the current situation^^; Add a [b]breed filter to the AH[/b] and such places to allow players to search for just the genes that can be applied to a breed they are interested in (based on the above section or backend instead of the item's name), so if I choose Aberration there, I won't see Soap at all but I will see Fissure (ancient). I find it a bit too much of a pain to search for ancient dragons with any particular gene if it has several pararells... while it feels so unnecessary to find "gene (breed)" instead of just "gene"; it's friction. My suggestion would eliminate this particular problem as well, without creating new ones, as far as I managed to explore potential impact. Suggestion's expansion: [b]1 modern=2 ancient[/b], I see no reason why those shouldn't be [b]interchangeable at this ratio in the Genuine Genes[/b] (player can swap 2 ancient copies into 1 modern copy, it's an even trade, wouldn't ruin the current economy etc.), which would reflect the current MP values the above interchangeability could even[b] allow the Marketplace to only ever stock just the Ancient copies with Modern being available only by swapping 2 ancient copies at Genuine Genes, keeping the current 2:1 Marketplace value[/b] (player would still have to spend 1000gems on a Soap for a modern dragon, 2x500 is no less of a 1000 than 1x1000 after all). That's just one item per gene stocking in the Marketplace instead of 2, or what we're having right now, which means higher chance to find the desired gene there at all, even if 2 ancient copies are needed to get 1 modern copy; Simple, and [b]with restock numbers adequately adjusted[/b], doesn't ruin anything if introduced[b] this way around[/b](so Ancient in Market, the Modern pararell in Genuine Genes(2 ancient copies=1 modern), not the other way around though - players shouldn't suddenly become forced to save up e.g. 1000g in order to apply Soap to an Undertide, even if there was an extra ancient copy given, problem is that this copy was unwanted and unnecessarily lengthened the saving up period copared to the current state of the game), As a desirable bonus, the full interchangeability is also much more forgiving to player error!^^ So an another [b]pro-accessibility thing[/b] to add to FR. (speaking as ADHDer, who is only ever avoiding mistaken gene purchases thanks to my autistic side counterbalacing some of it - still, I just brewed modern Pinstripe yesterday without realising the Sandsurge version I needed was already gone from Baldwin!) ~the end of suggestion/ideas~ I hope this may give the staff at least an idea to explore in the context of the rest of the gene-pararells bloat problem. I would appreciate if it was taken under consideration and discussed within the staff, maybe at least some of it ends up inspiring enough? Good luck in the endeavour!
This took me by surprise, I mean the period when ancient pararells of this gene group were not available at all:P
But anyway!

It's a start indeed:) I'm glad to see something is being done^^

I think I found a simple, balanced and effective solution to the rest of the pararell-genes bloat specifically, I mean if the UI is to stay unchanged (for now or overall) as I relied on how FR is already built from my point of view

The idea is as follows
(bold simply serves navigation):

Merge all non-modern gene items into 1 Ancient gene item and end up with
2 gene items total for each: Modern and Ancient. And that's it. 2 variants of each single gene item:
image.png

List the breeds the gene (ancient) is currently applicable for somewhere in this section (in alphabetical order), to keep this information accessible without the need to reload a new(database) page, e.g.:
image.png
another example:
image.png
or simply just anywhere in this section
Would this prevent ADHD-like mistakes(ADHD-friendly=everyone-friendly)? No, but I don't think it would increase them either. The brackets or mini portraits are pretty much invisible to an ADHD brain most of the time anyway(at least in the moments when those matter the most;'D)... With SO many separate items per gene(and still growing) we're having now, I tried but I see no way how my suggestion could increase the overall mistake probability over the current situation^^;

Add a breed filter to the AH and such places to allow players to search for just the genes that can be applied to a breed they are interested in (based on the above section or backend instead of the item's name), so if I choose Aberration there, I won't see Soap at all but I will see Fissure (ancient).

I find it a bit too much of a pain to search for ancient dragons with any particular gene if it has several pararells... while it feels so unnecessary to find "gene (breed)" instead of just "gene"; it's friction. My suggestion would eliminate this particular problem as well, without creating new ones, as far as I managed to explore potential impact.

Suggestion's expansion:
1 modern=2 ancient, I see no reason why those shouldn't be interchangeable at this ratio in the Genuine Genes (player can swap 2 ancient copies into 1 modern copy, it's an even trade, wouldn't ruin the current economy etc.), which would reflect the current MP values

the above interchangeability could even allow the Marketplace to only ever stock just the Ancient copies with Modern being available only by swapping 2 ancient copies at Genuine Genes, keeping the current 2:1 Marketplace value (player would still have to spend 1000gems on a Soap for a modern dragon, 2x500 is no less of a 1000 than 1x1000 after all). That's just one item per gene stocking in the Marketplace instead of 2, or what we're having right now, which means higher chance to find the desired gene there at all, even if 2 ancient copies are needed to get 1 modern copy;
Simple, and with restock numbers adequately adjusted, doesn't ruin anything if introduced this way around(so Ancient in Market, the Modern pararell in Genuine Genes(2 ancient copies=1 modern), not the other way around though - players shouldn't suddenly become forced to save up e.g. 1000g in order to apply Soap to an Undertide, even if there was an extra ancient copy given, problem is that this copy was unwanted and unnecessarily lengthened the saving up period copared to the current state of the game),

As a desirable bonus, the full interchangeability is also much more forgiving to player error!^^ So an another pro-accessibility thing to add to FR. (speaking as ADHDer, who is only ever avoiding mistaken gene purchases thanks to my autistic side counterbalacing some of it - still, I just brewed modern Pinstripe yesterday without realising the Sandsurge version I needed was already gone from Baldwin!)

~the end of suggestion/ideas~

I hope this may give the staff at least an idea to explore in the context of the rest of the gene-pararells bloat problem. I would appreciate if it was taken under consideration and discussed within the staff, maybe at least some of it ends up inspiring enough?
Good luck in the endeavour!
18qkmim.png
Aryena&BillieXNtD94z.png
0uVMYap.png
FR_mid_column_sig.png
Hfp00Bl.pngfdUVIfW.pngQUIpVFE.pngUMevL3r.png
bYt72YT.pngtqGkHih.pngDa1cz0f.pngOBrKa68.png
1 2 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 41 42