Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Light Ancient Concept: Paragons
So I originally shared this idea here and I've been thinking about this hypothetical breed too much ever since. So here's a thread with the full rundown of this concept.

Overview
The Paragon species originates from The Beacon of the Radiant Eye, where the Lightsworn faction still resides. After a prolonged absence, they returned to lay the Emperor Luminax low, and have decided to resume their watch over their destructive kin throughout the realm.

Physical Attributes
Medium-sized dragons on the larger end of the scale, Paragons are built for speed and agility. Their long, slender bodies are covered in velvety scales that can become rigid in an instant. Their heads are designed to cut through the air like a blade, and both males and females possess a forward sweeping metallic crest that extends from the base of their skull to beyond the tip of their nose. Their wing membranes scatter all light that passes through them into dazzling colors, much like a prism. While they lack fore and hind limbs, they are able to manifest "phantom limbs" upon which they can walk, stand, and sit, though they normally do not manifest while in flight. Their long, slender tail ends in a metallic blade.

Paragons were first witnessed when the first Emperor arose, though the story behind their creation is not known by current scholars. A common myth states that the Lightweaver accidentally created them while trying to stop her wayward children, her spears of light taking on lives of their own to carry out her will.

Social
Paragons consider themselves to be the revered and valiant knights of dragonkind, though they do not let this go to their heads. They are reserved yet polite, and generally keep to themselves unless they are aiding others. They are at their happiest when helping others, but do not take kindly to other dragons trying to use them for ill intent. Paragons who use their powers for evil are often either disowned by their kin and exiled, or killed.

Paragons who have recently done combat with an Emperor are known to go into hibernation afterwards to replenish their magics, with some often waking to find that their clans have moved on without them. This often leads to Paragons becoming wanderers who are devoted to no particular clan, helping any they come across.

Lairs
Paragon lairs are built like barracks, separated into chambers where bands of up to 11 dragons sleep at a time. Each member of a band is aligned to one of the 11 elements, lead by whoever's element matches that of the land within which they reside. The lairs are often scarcely decorated, normally only possessing soft bedding materials, sources of light, and stones used to sharpen their blades.

Below the main lair is often a hoard chamber stocked with rations and other necessities. Paragons normally do not keep what is not practical, though some have been known to hoard weaponry, fascinated by its attempts to mimic their built-in armaments.

Paragons tend to lair away from the rest of the clan, especially if Imperials are present in the population. They are often quick to act when an Imperial dies, offering to dispose of the corpse so that there is no need for their kin to leave the area.

Tactics
Paragons in day-to-day combat, be it for hunting or while fighting other creatures or dragons, are known for their swift bladework. Using their tailblades, they can slash and stab most things with ease. They much prefer aerial combat, as the manifestation of their phantom limbs while on the ground can cause them to tire more quickly. They will also normally not do combat without their team, so where there is one, there is likely ten more.

Against Emperors
Paragons have special tactics for dealing with Emperors. They soar high into the sky, straighten and stiffen their bodies, fold their wings tight against their bodies, and dive. As they fall, they surround themselves with their respective element, becoming living spears. They strike in unison, never giving the Emperor a chance to retaliate, though rumor has it that they once failed...

Name
Using the verb definition of of the word paragon, "to be a match for; rival". I thought this would be a fitting name for a breed created to kill Emperors.

Inspirations
Dragoons from Final Fantasy are the main inspiration for Paragons' combat and lore. Known for their jumping and diving abilities, I thought their style of combat would be an interesting thing to explore for an actual dragon.

Kushala Daora and Velkhana from Monster Hunter are the main inspirations for the physical attributes of Paragons. Kushala Daora has a metallic skin that it sheds when it rusts, and Velkhana uses its ice-encrusted tail as a lance in combat, which also inspired the phantom limbs, as Velkhana can create a new tail blade purely out of ice if you sever the actual tail. Their body types are also similar to what I envision Paragons would look like. Additional shout outs to Malzeno, who is similar in appearance and combat to Velkhana, and Glavenus, who also has a sword for a tail.

Possible Issues
I can see the phantom limbs being hard to work with in terms of poses. The easiest solution I can think of is a "taking off" and/or "landing" pose set, to show that the limbs come and go. I think all four should be present in the art, but whatever limbs are off the ground should be "vanishing". I am also unsure how this would affect skins, accents, and certain genes. I wanted to create a breed that breaks the 4 legs 2 wings rule in a unique way, and in a way that uses magic and nature. Naturally they have no legs, but through magic, they can if they want to (though it is intended to be mostly involuntary/instinct).

I am mostly sharing this for fun. I know there's a possibility that the Light ancient is already planned to a certain extent, and I'm not sure of the legality of using user-created breeds anyways. You're welcomed to show support, make suggestions, ect, but remember that breed suggestions are unlikely to be implemented, so don't take it too seriously (such as expressing fervent disapproval, ect).

I will likely include concept art at some point if there is demand for it.
So I originally shared this idea here and I've been thinking about this hypothetical breed too much ever since. So here's a thread with the full rundown of this concept.

Overview
The Paragon species originates from The Beacon of the Radiant Eye, where the Lightsworn faction still resides. After a prolonged absence, they returned to lay the Emperor Luminax low, and have decided to resume their watch over their destructive kin throughout the realm.

Physical Attributes
Medium-sized dragons on the larger end of the scale, Paragons are built for speed and agility. Their long, slender bodies are covered in velvety scales that can become rigid in an instant. Their heads are designed to cut through the air like a blade, and both males and females possess a forward sweeping metallic crest that extends from the base of their skull to beyond the tip of their nose. Their wing membranes scatter all light that passes through them into dazzling colors, much like a prism. While they lack fore and hind limbs, they are able to manifest "phantom limbs" upon which they can walk, stand, and sit, though they normally do not manifest while in flight. Their long, slender tail ends in a metallic blade.

Paragons were first witnessed when the first Emperor arose, though the story behind their creation is not known by current scholars. A common myth states that the Lightweaver accidentally created them while trying to stop her wayward children, her spears of light taking on lives of their own to carry out her will.

Social
Paragons consider themselves to be the revered and valiant knights of dragonkind, though they do not let this go to their heads. They are reserved yet polite, and generally keep to themselves unless they are aiding others. They are at their happiest when helping others, but do not take kindly to other dragons trying to use them for ill intent. Paragons who use their powers for evil are often either disowned by their kin and exiled, or killed.

Paragons who have recently done combat with an Emperor are known to go into hibernation afterwards to replenish their magics, with some often waking to find that their clans have moved on without them. This often leads to Paragons becoming wanderers who are devoted to no particular clan, helping any they come across.

Lairs
Paragon lairs are built like barracks, separated into chambers where bands of up to 11 dragons sleep at a time. Each member of a band is aligned to one of the 11 elements, lead by whoever's element matches that of the land within which they reside. The lairs are often scarcely decorated, normally only possessing soft bedding materials, sources of light, and stones used to sharpen their blades.

Below the main lair is often a hoard chamber stocked with rations and other necessities. Paragons normally do not keep what is not practical, though some have been known to hoard weaponry, fascinated by its attempts to mimic their built-in armaments.

Paragons tend to lair away from the rest of the clan, especially if Imperials are present in the population. They are often quick to act when an Imperial dies, offering to dispose of the corpse so that there is no need for their kin to leave the area.

Tactics
Paragons in day-to-day combat, be it for hunting or while fighting other creatures or dragons, are known for their swift bladework. Using their tailblades, they can slash and stab most things with ease. They much prefer aerial combat, as the manifestation of their phantom limbs while on the ground can cause them to tire more quickly. They will also normally not do combat without their team, so where there is one, there is likely ten more.

Against Emperors
Paragons have special tactics for dealing with Emperors. They soar high into the sky, straighten and stiffen their bodies, fold their wings tight against their bodies, and dive. As they fall, they surround themselves with their respective element, becoming living spears. They strike in unison, never giving the Emperor a chance to retaliate, though rumor has it that they once failed...

Name
Using the verb definition of of the word paragon, "to be a match for; rival". I thought this would be a fitting name for a breed created to kill Emperors.

Inspirations
Dragoons from Final Fantasy are the main inspiration for Paragons' combat and lore. Known for their jumping and diving abilities, I thought their style of combat would be an interesting thing to explore for an actual dragon.

Kushala Daora and Velkhana from Monster Hunter are the main inspirations for the physical attributes of Paragons. Kushala Daora has a metallic skin that it sheds when it rusts, and Velkhana uses its ice-encrusted tail as a lance in combat, which also inspired the phantom limbs, as Velkhana can create a new tail blade purely out of ice if you sever the actual tail. Their body types are also similar to what I envision Paragons would look like. Additional shout outs to Malzeno, who is similar in appearance and combat to Velkhana, and Glavenus, who also has a sword for a tail.

Possible Issues
I can see the phantom limbs being hard to work with in terms of poses. The easiest solution I can think of is a "taking off" and/or "landing" pose set, to show that the limbs come and go. I think all four should be present in the art, but whatever limbs are off the ground should be "vanishing". I am also unsure how this would affect skins, accents, and certain genes. I wanted to create a breed that breaks the 4 legs 2 wings rule in a unique way, and in a way that uses magic and nature. Naturally they have no legs, but through magic, they can if they want to (though it is intended to be mostly involuntary/instinct).

I am mostly sharing this for fun. I know there's a possibility that the Light ancient is already planned to a certain extent, and I'm not sure of the legality of using user-created breeds anyways. You're welcomed to show support, make suggestions, ect, but remember that breed suggestions are unlikely to be implemented, so don't take it too seriously (such as expressing fervent disapproval, ect).

I will likely include concept art at some point if there is demand for it.
Sulli | He/Him | Adult | Pings Allowed
See profile for other information.
support; no notes, this just sounds so cool. would LOVE to see concept art! i think the name is extremely fitting for the flight too, sort of reminiscent of pearlcatcher's ego, but with a succinct air of nobility :3
support; no notes, this just sounds so cool. would LOVE to see concept art! i think the name is extremely fitting for the flight too, sort of reminiscent of pearlcatcher's ego, but with a succinct air of nobility :3
acaelus_100_by_dragonnmr-d9606za.gif UawspVz.png
GLMwkdE.png
5iXiC8z.png
R1dejfm.png
I'd love to be friends! ^^
Bump

And thank you for the feedback! I am glad you like them.
Bump

And thank you for the feedback! I am glad you like them.
Bump

I updated the Overview section to make it more in-line with other ancients.
Bump

I updated the Overview section to make it more in-line with other ancients.
This is unique, I like it! would love to see concept art if you have it
This is unique, I like it! would love to see concept art if you have it
66.png
This is a fantastic concept, well thought out and so detailed! Full support!
This is a fantastic concept, well thought out and so detailed! Full support!
She/Her
Lover of WangXian and HuaLian
@SullivanMaurus Does this look about right? [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1107420982181904514/1137100611972759805/Screenshot_2023-08-04_3.10.42_PM.png[/img]
@SullivanMaurus

Does this look about right?

Screenshot_2023-08-04_3.10.42_PM.png
deity_gladekeeper_by_dogi_crimson-dabusrb.gif Clan Duneberry ~ Faithful disciple of Nature
I obsess over pretty dragons and scarves. A unique relationship with Lightning, the word 'storm' carries great weight in my clan. Feel free to come visit me and request services! I am an avid writer, dragon lover, and analyzer. Message for anything you need~

Stormy ~ FR +3 ~ She || PWYW Dragon/Animal Art Shop - Evee's Humanoid Art Shop
[center]@Stormytehcat11 (I apologize for the late reply) That does look about right, yes. The only thing really off is the head blade. I am glad the description was easy to interpret, though! - This is my own rough traditional concept art (I apologize for the poor quality, I don't have a way to scan it so I took a picture on my phone): [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1030535285987094529/1137875627760959559/IMG_20230806_175028.jpg[/img] I've been playing around with the concept in my head, so there are a few things here that aren't mentioned in the breed description. - Lightweaver wings: Wings are segmented similarly to the Lightweaver's. - Lightweaver ears: Ears are long, but not as long as the Lightweaver's. - Vestigial wings: A smaller set of wings/frills extending from the hips to the base of the tail. Meant to help with steering while in the air or to flash as a threat/dominance display. These are tentative changes that I may keep/remove based on feedback. Image description based on the number labels: Figure one shows an adult Paragon rearing up on its hind legs, spreading it's segmented wings and swinging it's tailblade forward. It's forelimbs, while still visible, are transparent. Figure 2a shows a closeup of the Paragon's scales when they are not in combat. They are rounded with a soft, velvety texture. Figure 2b shows a closeup of the Paragon's scales when they are in combat. They are pointed, sharp, and hard to the touch. Figure 3a shows a side profile of the Paragon's head. Figure 3b shows a side profile of the Paragon's open mouth. It's front teeth are sharp, as they are primarily carnivorous, though there are grinding molars in the back for consuming plants. Figure 4 shows the Paragon's foot. It has two toes and a dewclaw.[/center]
@Stormytehcat11 (I apologize for the late reply) That does look about right, yes. The only thing really off is the head blade. I am glad the description was easy to interpret, though!

-

This is my own rough traditional concept art (I apologize for the poor quality, I don't have a way to scan it so I took a picture on my phone):
IMG_20230806_175028.jpg
I've been playing around with the concept in my head, so there are a few things here that aren't mentioned in the breed description.

- Lightweaver wings: Wings are segmented similarly to the Lightweaver's.
- Lightweaver ears: Ears are long, but not as long as the Lightweaver's.
- Vestigial wings: A smaller set of wings/frills extending from the hips to the base of the tail. Meant to help with steering while in the air or to flash as a threat/dominance display.

These are tentative changes that I may keep/remove based on feedback.

Image description based on the number labels:
Figure one shows an adult Paragon rearing up on its hind legs, spreading it's segmented wings and swinging it's tailblade forward. It's forelimbs, while still visible, are transparent.

Figure 2a shows a closeup of the Paragon's scales when they are not in combat. They are rounded with a soft, velvety texture.
Figure 2b shows a closeup of the Paragon's scales when they are in combat. They are pointed, sharp, and hard to the touch.

Figure 3a shows a side profile of the Paragon's head.
Figure 3b shows a side profile of the Paragon's open mouth. It's front teeth are sharp, as they are primarily carnivorous, though there are grinding molars in the back for consuming plants.

Figure 4 shows the Paragon's foot. It has two toes and a dewclaw.