Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [BSJ 2023] Cooking Contest (Done!)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@niracake - Thanks for entering! :) I added your entry to the front page.
@niracake - Thanks for entering! :) I added your entry to the front page.
Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
[b]Username:[/b] cinderrain [b]Entry Title:[/b] Sunbeam Snowy Mooncakes [b]Theme:[/b] The translucent skin of the snowy mooncake (red, blue, and green, although the blue and green look kinda similar so I'm glad I had extra colours!) spills open to reveal a Light Flight-gold custardy filling! I tried to arrange the flowers into a nice stained glass window pattern c: [b]Ingredients:[/b] Filling 160g milk 65g melted butter 1 whole egg 3 egg yolks 100g sugar 40g cake flour 2 tsp vanilla extract Skins 35g glutinous rice flour 35g rice flour 25g wheat starch 30g sugar 135g milk 18g sweetened condensed milk 18g vegetable oil drop of food colouring as needed Gear 3-4 bowls (or at least 2 at a time, and then you can wash them) plates kitchen scale wisk or silicon spatula airtight containers parchment paper cling wrap sieve/strainer some kind of saucepan/wok/etc mooncake press oven mitts, probably [b]Recipe:[/b] [i]Used with basically no changes from [url=https://curatedkitchenware.com/blogs/soupeduprecipes/snowy-mooncake-recipe-with-custard-filling]Souped Up Recipes[/url]! There's a really handy video there too if you want to try this recipe yourself c:[/i] 1. Combine wet filling ingredients; combine dry filling ingredients; mix the two and run through a sieve/strainer until there are no lumps. Pour into saucepan. 2. Cook on low heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom with a spatula until the texture matches the picture (or the video!). Transfer to container and store in the fridge for 3+ hours or overnight. 3. While waiting (~ 1 hour to 30 mins before your filling is ready), combine skin ingredients and run through the sieve until no lumps. 4. Put a plate over the bowl with your skin dough in it and heat for 1.5 mins. Remove and stir a bit. Plate + heat for 1 minute. Remove and mix. One last 30-second microwave, and it should be done if there's no liquid left. 5. The recipe says to let it cool and that putting on gloves will help it not stick. It [i]will[/i] stick. I've found that using parchment paper and just oven mitts to knead it while it's still quite hot is the best method, but be careful! 6. Keep all parts covered when not working with them so they don't dry out. Portion skin dough into 20g balls and custard into 30g balls. 7. Roll out each skin portion (with a rolling pin and sandwiched between parchment paper) until it's big enough to wrap around the custard but not too thin. Wrap it gently around the custard and pinch closed. Roll in glutinous rice flour so it doesn't stick to the press, and put it carefully into the press. Press down and hold for at least 30 seconds, then remove. 8. Best served when chilled in an airtight container overnight and eaten within 1-2 days. [b]Final Judging Photo:[/b] [img]https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/1cj7j9h2inq1rvu/bsj%20contest%20judging.jpg[/img] [b]Extra Photos:[/b] [img]https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/dm3p6j6us8k1v7c/bsj%20contest%20custard.jpg[/img] [img]https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/qp3grsqf93zrz01/bsj%20content%20press.jpg[/img]
Username: cinderrain

Entry Title: Sunbeam Snowy Mooncakes

Theme: The translucent skin of the snowy mooncake (red, blue, and green, although the blue and green look kinda similar so I'm glad I had extra colours!) spills open to reveal a Light Flight-gold custardy filling! I tried to arrange the flowers into a nice stained glass window pattern c:

Ingredients:
Filling
160g milk
65g melted butter
1 whole egg
3 egg yolks
100g sugar
40g cake flour
2 tsp vanilla extract

Skins
35g glutinous rice flour
35g rice flour
25g wheat starch
30g sugar
135g milk
18g sweetened condensed milk
18g vegetable oil
drop of food colouring as needed

Gear
3-4 bowls (or at least 2 at a time, and then you can wash them)
plates
kitchen scale
wisk or silicon spatula
airtight containers
parchment paper
cling wrap
sieve/strainer
some kind of saucepan/wok/etc
mooncake press
oven mitts, probably

Recipe:
Used with basically no changes from Souped Up Recipes! There's a really handy video there too if you want to try this recipe yourself c:
1. Combine wet filling ingredients; combine dry filling ingredients; mix the two and run through a sieve/strainer until there are no lumps. Pour into saucepan.
2. Cook on low heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom with a spatula until the texture matches the picture (or the video!). Transfer to container and store in the fridge for 3+ hours or overnight.
3. While waiting (~ 1 hour to 30 mins before your filling is ready), combine skin ingredients and run through the sieve until no lumps.
4. Put a plate over the bowl with your skin dough in it and heat for 1.5 mins. Remove and stir a bit. Plate + heat for 1 minute. Remove and mix. One last 30-second microwave, and it should be done if there's no liquid left.
5. The recipe says to let it cool and that putting on gloves will help it not stick. It will stick. I've found that using parchment paper and just oven mitts to knead it while it's still quite hot is the best method, but be careful!
6. Keep all parts covered when not working with them so they don't dry out. Portion skin dough into 20g balls and custard into 30g balls.
7. Roll out each skin portion (with a rolling pin and sandwiched between parchment paper) until it's big enough to wrap around the custard but not too thin. Wrap it gently around the custard and pinch closed. Roll in glutinous rice flour so it doesn't stick to the press, and put it carefully into the press. Press down and hold for at least 30 seconds, then remove.
8. Best served when chilled in an airtight container overnight and eaten within 1-2 days.

Final Judging Photo:
bsj%20contest%20judging.jpg

Extra Photos:
bsj%20contest%20custard.jpg
bsj%20content%20press.jpg
adopt-sig.pngxxxrva7IHk.pngxxxroad-not-taken-button-90px.pngxxx4XpFW61.png
@cinderrain - Thank you for your entry! :) I linked it on the first page.
@cinderrain - Thank you for your entry! :) I linked it on the first page.
I have hit a uh...internet quandry/moral delemia and while I have my entry typed up and ready to go, i'm trying to get in touch with someone to ask if it's ok to submit it (which is gonna be tricky to do so in uh *checks watch* a few hours). However even if I'm unable to post it as an official entry, I still wanted to share what I made! I'll either edit this post or create a new one if I'm able to enter. [img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/933524189883826201/1125232010387013762/20230702_205754.jpg[/img] (Extra context: I drew insperation from a zine project I participated in in, and even though my entry is rewritten to be exactly what I made and not xeroxed from the zine itself, I paniced and am trying to contact a mod to see if my entry would be posting inner conents too early, since we haven't quite gotten the go ahead on that yet ">>)
I have hit a uh...internet quandry/moral delemia and while I have my entry typed up and ready to go, i'm trying to get in touch with someone to ask if it's ok to submit it (which is gonna be tricky to do so in uh *checks watch* a few hours).

However even if I'm unable to post it as an official entry, I still wanted to share what I made! I'll either edit this post or create a new one if I'm able to enter.

20230702_205754.jpg

(Extra context: I drew insperation from a zine project I participated in in, and even though my entry is rewritten to be exactly what I made and not xeroxed from the zine itself, I paniced and am trying to contact a mod to see if my entry would be posting inner conents too early, since we haven't quite gotten the go ahead on that yet ">>)
tumblr_ntxrqoqrD01sk2f1lo1_500.png
Hi everyone, the contest has closed and judging has begun. Thanks so much to everyone who participated or couldn't but were there with us in spirit!

Raffle winners will be announced at the same time as contest winners. (For simplicity's sake; the raffle could technically be done now.)

Please vote for your favorite entry if you are so inclined. :) Anyone is welcome to vote, including entrants, and including anyone who didn't ask to be added to any ping lists; no signup was needed. We have some neat entries this year even though the theme was very specific!

You have until Friday, July 7, 2023 00:00 to place a vote. Show support for the entry that captured your heart! :)

Entrant ping

@Irithyll @hollypox @Cartoons @Goldia @missaliceblue @niracake @cinderrain

General ping
@/Goldia @xenonentity @Zesu

Voting ping
@kilorechoy @Plutonarka @MiloInSpace @mix

Thanks so much everybody!
Hi everyone, the contest has closed and judging has begun. Thanks so much to everyone who participated or couldn't but were there with us in spirit!

Raffle winners will be announced at the same time as contest winners. (For simplicity's sake; the raffle could technically be done now.)

Please vote for your favorite entry if you are so inclined. :) Anyone is welcome to vote, including entrants, and including anyone who didn't ask to be added to any ping lists; no signup was needed. We have some neat entries this year even though the theme was very specific!

You have until Friday, July 7, 2023 00:00 to place a vote. Show support for the entry that captured your heart! :)

Entrant ping

General ping
@/Goldia @xenonentity @Zesu

Voting ping
@kilorechoy @Plutonarka @MiloInSpace @mix

Thanks so much everybody!
Could I get a ping for results? :D
WenPrLS.png
This was so very fun! :9 got some recipes to try thanks to everyone participating too!
This was so very fun! :9 got some recipes to try thanks to everyone participating too!
hello.giffloater.pngliftOFF.gifbouncy.giftunny.pngBamboo-Rarium.png
[quote name="Cinspawn" date="2023-07-03 08:25:33" ] Could I get a ping for results? :D [/quote] Can do! (Didn't want to ping a response, as that could be confusing, heh.)
Cinspawn wrote on 2023-07-03 08:25:33:

Can do! (Didn't want to ping a response, as that could be confusing, heh.)
Hi everyone, judging and voting are complete! This post will contain results and comments for the entries. Please check the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3239330/6#post_54557489]next post[/url] for raffle winners. [b]All entrants:[/b] @Irithyll @hollypox @Cartoons @Goldia @missaliceblue @niracake @cinderrain [b]Ping for results:[/b] @xenonentity @Zesu @Cinspawn [center][size=7][font="Vivaldi"][color=#F8B438]Contest Entries[/color][/font][/size][/center] [center][size=6][font="Vivaldi"][color=#A4C4E8]Stained Glass Winners[/color][/font][/size][/center] It was amazing seeing everyone's interpretation of [b]Stained Glass[/b]. You all did such a great job with your individual creativity! The scores ended up really close, even for entries that didn't win. In fact, scores were so close that we even had a tie for the winners! I decided to honor the tie and each of the winners will receive the same prize. One winner was @Irithyll, who made [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3239330/3#post_54417193]Vegetarian Sunbeam Summer Rolls[/url]. The vibrant mixed colors showing through the spring roll wrappers truly gave an impression of stained glass, and the bright flavor profile was very fitting for a festival treat. Furthermore, the care taken when shredding the vegetables promise a light, clean texture. [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/2qmVCpS.png[/img][/center] Another winner was @missaliceblue, who made [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3239330/5#post_54518860]Light's Lemon Lollipops[/url]. The lovely swirls of color in the clear sugar pops were a creative take on stained glass. Although lollipops have a simple flavor, we really appreciated each detail and consideration taken when preparing them to ensure that they were the very best that they could be! [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/Oe4rSEX.jpg[/img][/center] [center][size=6][font="Vivaldi"][color=#A4C4E8]Personal Comments[/color][/font][/size][/center] We genuinely loved every entry and wish that there could have been more winners. Here were my personal thoughts on each person's creations. @Irithyll - Congrats! Your Vegetarian Sunbeam Summer Rolls were a lovely array of summer vegetable colors. @hollypox - Your Acolight Anmitsu was a pretty interpretation of stained glass. There were lots of interesting textures in the bowl, and adding the rhubarb syrup to the agar jelly to complement the fruits was a nice touch. @Cartoons - Your Celebration Trifle! was bright and cheerful glass within a glass! The layers of different ingredients look very fun to eat. @Goldia - Your Coconut Panna Cotta with Strawberry Coulis and spun sugar was a beautiful and elegant take on stained glass. You chose a good flavor pairing with the strawberry coulis and coconut panna cotta. @missaliceblue - Congratulations. :) The color swirls in your Light's Lemon Lollipops really make the pops look like "stained" glass! It was clever to push the swirls into the center and show off a clear outer rim. Thank you for the helpful accompanying tips. @niracake - Your Salmon en Papillote was a fresh and appetizing rainbow of toppings. The seasoning sounds delicious! @cinderrain - Your Sunbeam Snowy Mooncakes were a delightful collection of colorful patterned flowers. Great job figuring out how to work with the stickiness; wet glutinous rice flour is so tricky. @Eialyne - Although you didn't get to enter in the end, since you shared your writeup, I think your Pearlcatcher Parfait deserved commentary, too. :) The Pearlcatcher-themed parfait is wonderfully fitting for the Brightshine Jubilee! The layers paint a nice stained glass picture, and the accident with the "milk" probably actually helped the flavors match better, considering the other ingredients. (P.S. Celery strings for the whiskers may have been a stretch, but you could probably have gotten away with carrot.) [center][size=7][font="Vivaldi"][color=#d9af18]Popular Vote[/color][/font][/size][/center] We had votes on a bunch of entries this year. There was a two-way tie for the top voted entries! The most votes went to the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3239330/3#post_54417]Vegetarian Sunbeam Summer Rolls[/url] by @Irithyll and the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3239330/6#post_54525151]Sunbeam Snowy Mooncakes[/url] by @cinderrain. Please appreciate their gorgeous entries! [b]Vegetarian Sunbeam Summer Rolls[/b] by Irithyll: [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/2qmVCpS.png[/img][/center] [b]Sunbeam Snowy Mooncakes[/b] by cinderrain: [center][img]https://www.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/1cj7j9h2inq1rvu/bsj%20contest%20judging.jpg[/img][/center] [center][size=6][font="Vivaldi"][color=#9e7b29]Voters' Comments[/color][/font][/size][/center] Here's what voters said about the entries. [quote]All the entries looked so yummy!! I might have to make some of these soon…[/quote] [quote]The Spring Rolls and Mooncakes were also pretty good, and I might try the salmon dish. But I feel the panna cotta filled the criteria and theme best.[/quote] [quote]All of them look so good, it was hard to choose![/quote] [quote]The Lemon Lollipops were so beautiful! Gotta try them sometime myself :D[/quote] [quote]@Irithyll - Your entry was one of the two that I thought was a super clever choice for addressing the "translucent/clear" requirement! I even have rice paper sheets in my pantry and the thought didn't even cross my mind @hollypox - Super simple but also super delicious looking! @Cartoons - I love how you used multi-colored jello (jelly)! It really does look like stained glass. @Goldia - You get ALL the kudos for doing sugarwork! @missaliceblue - What I really like about your lolipops is how, in the second photo in particular, the translucent base sort of fades away, so it seems like you have some magical swirling on a stick rather than a solid stick of sugar. @niracake - The other entry I thought was really clever in adressing the "tanslucent/clear" requirement! @cinderrain - These are utterly gorgeous and I can absolutely see them out at a Light festival (or maybe Nature as well!)[/quote] [center]---[/center] That's all on the entry results. Thanks everyone, and please check the [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/3239330/6#post_54557489]next post[/url] for raffle winners! I'll also be sending a consolation prize to anyone who didn't win something, because all of the entries were great.
Hi everyone, judging and voting are complete! This post will contain results and comments for the entries.

Please check the next post for raffle winners.

All entrants:

Ping for results:
@xenonentity @Zesu @Cinspawn
Contest Entries
Stained Glass Winners
It was amazing seeing everyone's interpretation of Stained Glass. You all did such a great job with your individual creativity! The scores ended up really close, even for entries that didn't win. In fact, scores were so close that we even had a tie for the winners! I decided to honor the tie and each of the winners will receive the same prize.

One winner was @Irithyll, who made Vegetarian Sunbeam Summer Rolls. The vibrant mixed colors showing through the spring roll wrappers truly gave an impression of stained glass, and the bright flavor profile was very fitting for a festival treat. Furthermore, the care taken when shredding the vegetables promise a light, clean texture.
2qmVCpS.png

Another winner was @missaliceblue, who made Light's Lemon Lollipops. The lovely swirls of color in the clear sugar pops were a creative take on stained glass. Although lollipops have a simple flavor, we really appreciated each detail and consideration taken when preparing them to ensure that they were the very best that they could be!
Oe4rSEX.jpg

Personal Comments

We genuinely loved every entry and wish that there could have been more winners. Here were my personal thoughts on each person's creations.

@Irithyll - Congrats! Your Vegetarian Sunbeam Summer Rolls were a lovely array of summer vegetable colors.

@hollypox - Your Acolight Anmitsu was a pretty interpretation of stained glass. There were lots of interesting textures in the bowl, and adding the rhubarb syrup to the agar jelly to complement the fruits was a nice touch.

@Cartoons - Your Celebration Trifle! was bright and cheerful glass within a glass! The layers of different ingredients look very fun to eat.

@Goldia - Your Coconut Panna Cotta with Strawberry Coulis and spun sugar was a beautiful and elegant take on stained glass. You chose a good flavor pairing with the strawberry coulis and coconut panna cotta.

@missaliceblue - Congratulations. :) The color swirls in your Light's Lemon Lollipops really make the pops look like "stained" glass! It was clever to push the swirls into the center and show off a clear outer rim. Thank you for the helpful accompanying tips.

@niracake - Your Salmon en Papillote was a fresh and appetizing rainbow of toppings. The seasoning sounds delicious!

@cinderrain - Your Sunbeam Snowy Mooncakes were a delightful collection of colorful patterned flowers. Great job figuring out how to work with the stickiness; wet glutinous rice flour is so tricky.

@Eialyne - Although you didn't get to enter in the end, since you shared your writeup, I think your Pearlcatcher Parfait deserved commentary, too. :) The Pearlcatcher-themed parfait is wonderfully fitting for the Brightshine Jubilee! The layers paint a nice stained glass picture, and the accident with the "milk" probably actually helped the flavors match better, considering the other ingredients. (P.S. Celery strings for the whiskers may have been a stretch, but you could probably have gotten away with carrot.)

Popular Vote
We had votes on a bunch of entries this year. There was a two-way tie for the top voted entries!

The most votes went to the Vegetarian Sunbeam Summer Rolls by @Irithyll and the Sunbeam Snowy Mooncakes by @cinderrain. Please appreciate their gorgeous entries!

Vegetarian Sunbeam Summer Rolls by Irithyll:
2qmVCpS.png

Sunbeam Snowy Mooncakes by cinderrain:
bsj%20contest%20judging.jpg

Voters' Comments
Here's what voters said about the entries.
Quote:
All the entries looked so yummy!! I might have to make some of these soon…
Quote:
The Spring Rolls and Mooncakes were also pretty good, and I might try the salmon dish. But I feel the panna cotta filled the criteria and theme best.
Quote:
All of them look so good, it was hard to choose!
Quote:
The Lemon Lollipops were so beautiful! Gotta try them sometime myself :D
Quote:
@Irithyll - Your entry was one of the two that I thought was a super clever choice for addressing the "translucent/clear" requirement! I even have rice paper sheets in my pantry and the thought didn't even cross my mind

@hollypox - Super simple but also super delicious looking!

@Cartoons - I love how you used multi-colored jello (jelly)! It really does look like stained glass.

@Goldia - You get ALL the kudos for doing sugarwork!

@missaliceblue - What I really like about your lolipops is how, in the second photo in particular, the translucent base sort of fades away, so it seems like you have some magical swirling on a stick rather than a solid stick of sugar.

@niracake - The other entry I thought was really clever in adressing the "tanslucent/clear" requirement!

@cinderrain - These are utterly gorgeous and I can absolutely see them out at a Light festival (or maybe Nature as well!)
---

That's all on the entry results. Thanks everyone, and please check the next post for raffle winners! I'll also be sending a consolation prize to anyone who didn't win something, because all of the entries were great.
Mini Raffle
Hi all, everyone who entered the contest got 1 ticket per person for the mini raffle, and winners were drawn via random.org. Here are our winners!

Mini raffle winners, please check this post for your choices. Please list a number of choices equal to the number that you were pulled with, ranked with your top choice listed first.For example, if you were pulled as #5, you would list 5 choices, with your first choice listed first, and your 5th choice listed last.

Since this is not a big raffle, I'm not going to be that strict with the time limit, but please try your best to respond within 48 hours if possible.

1. @cinderrain
2. @hollypox
3. @Cartoons
4. @niracake

Thanks so much, everyone!
Mini Raffle
Hi all, everyone who entered the contest got 1 ticket per person for the mini raffle, and winners were drawn via random.org. Here are our winners!

Mini raffle winners, please check this post for your choices. Please list a number of choices equal to the number that you were pulled with, ranked with your top choice listed first.For example, if you were pulled as #5, you would list 5 choices, with your first choice listed first, and your 5th choice listed last.

Since this is not a big raffle, I'm not going to be that strict with the time limit, but please try your best to respond within 48 hours if possible.

1. @cinderrain
2. @hollypox
3. @Cartoons
4. @niracake

Thanks so much, everyone!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7