Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | History Buffs?
One of my interests is in reading about history and I was wondering if anyone else here had simular interests. I enjoy all kinds of history but I have to admit my knowledge is very Anglo-American centric and I'm attempting to expand that. I got a minor in history in college which was mostly on American history, with a focus on Colonial America to the civil war. I also read alot about English monarchy (I blame Robin Hood when I was a kid for my interest in reading about the Plantagenet family) and Ancient Egyptian, though that seems to change so often I never feel I know enough to feel I have a good footing with it.

What are you interested in?
One of my interests is in reading about history and I was wondering if anyone else here had simular interests. I enjoy all kinds of history but I have to admit my knowledge is very Anglo-American centric and I'm attempting to expand that. I got a minor in history in college which was mostly on American history, with a focus on Colonial America to the civil war. I also read alot about English monarchy (I blame Robin Hood when I was a kid for my interest in reading about the Plantagenet family) and Ancient Egyptian, though that seems to change so often I never feel I know enough to feel I have a good footing with it.

What are you interested in?
Ooh yeah, totally. Out of my whole friend group, i’m the only one who likes history, and focuses during history.
I like to focus on the history of my nationalities and the history of theirs wars and how they begun. It’s always really interesting to find out how they started and stuff.

Ooh yeah, totally. Out of my whole friend group, i’m the only one who likes history, and focuses during history.
I like to focus on the history of my nationalities and the history of theirs wars and how they begun. It’s always really interesting to find out how they started and stuff.

take care of yourself, you rock! >:D
I'd say history was my primary interest!

I write historical stories that will eventually be novella/novel length works over various historical eras I tend to be drawn to like really specific pinpoints? It's these I tend to write my stories about. For example:
  • WW2 my niche is the RAF.
  • WW1 history it's the battle of the Somme.
  • Age of Sail it's the Napoleonic Wars but also some of the polar exploration (specifically Franklin Expedition) is super interesting
  • Viking history has been a long-standing on/off interest but I've not long gone head first back into a Viking history deep dive where I've been reading a lot on The Great Heathen Army.
  • Saxon/Norman conflict is a recent one for me so don't have a pinpoint interest yet.
  • Ancient Rome I've been starting to get into The First Triumvirate because hooooo boy did that have a lot of tea. Though I do need to admit Ancient Rome is one historical interest where I don't have a generalized thing I gravitate to since so much of it interests me. More like there's lots of bits of the history I like and I keep going down various rabbit holes where I'm finding more interesting things.
  • Ancient Greece is an on/off one but don't yet have a pinpoint interest.
The writing becomes an excuse to do more research. In turn, this leads to me picking up new interests which then leads to me picking up new plots.
Getting back into Viking history awakened an interest in Saxon/Norman history for instance.
I'd say history was my primary interest!

I write historical stories that will eventually be novella/novel length works over various historical eras I tend to be drawn to like really specific pinpoints? It's these I tend to write my stories about. For example:
  • WW2 my niche is the RAF.
  • WW1 history it's the battle of the Somme.
  • Age of Sail it's the Napoleonic Wars but also some of the polar exploration (specifically Franklin Expedition) is super interesting
  • Viking history has been a long-standing on/off interest but I've not long gone head first back into a Viking history deep dive where I've been reading a lot on The Great Heathen Army.
  • Saxon/Norman conflict is a recent one for me so don't have a pinpoint interest yet.
  • Ancient Rome I've been starting to get into The First Triumvirate because hooooo boy did that have a lot of tea. Though I do need to admit Ancient Rome is one historical interest where I don't have a generalized thing I gravitate to since so much of it interests me. More like there's lots of bits of the history I like and I keep going down various rabbit holes where I'm finding more interesting things.
  • Ancient Greece is an on/off one but don't yet have a pinpoint interest.
The writing becomes an excuse to do more research. In turn, this leads to me picking up new interests which then leads to me picking up new plots.
Getting back into Viking history awakened an interest in Saxon/Norman history for instance.
tumblr_pquf5x7lT91soemy4_250.png 27 / ISTJ / NB / FR+8

I draw things!
Toyhouse
Tumblr
Twitter
Services Offering:
Coli grinding & fodder leveling
Hi! I majored in history in college. My focus was also on US History from Colonial to Reconstruction, but it was through my upper division requirements that I came to realize what I really love to study is civil wars, political and cultural revolutions, etc. Basically any time in history when there is a period of unrest and in a short time the political structure or culture of a society is changed. Once I figured this out, I spent a great deal of time studying the French, Russian, and Chinese Revolutions. just because. I'm also interested in Japanese American internment during WW2 and have taken to collecting memoirs.
Hi! I majored in history in college. My focus was also on US History from Colonial to Reconstruction, but it was through my upper division requirements that I came to realize what I really love to study is civil wars, political and cultural revolutions, etc. Basically any time in history when there is a period of unrest and in a short time the political structure or culture of a society is changed. Once I figured this out, I spent a great deal of time studying the French, Russian, and Chinese Revolutions. just because. I'm also interested in Japanese American internment during WW2 and have taken to collecting memoirs.
my pronouns are they/he
adult player

FR Time +2
free buttons
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hatchery logo displaying the words Luminous Lair Hatchery over an image of golden dragon eggs in a nest with sunbeams shining down
@Ruhx Ancient Rome is fun to learn about because it's a soap opera and a half. Ancient history in general, really, because I think people forgot to write down the data while writing down the scandalousness of whatever was going on.

Ww2 my interests are a bit scattered, but I love learning about the technology that was developed then that seems so standard now. Like how Hetty Lamar developed the basis of wifi by playing the dumb wife while her husband's nazi friends talked about problems they had figuring it out. She figured it out before they did and escaped to the US and got it patented.

@peculiaritea the English Civil War is also very interesting. It's different from both the US and the French because while the French changed their whole government and the US kept theirs the English changed theirs and then changed it back again. I have to admit I'm less familiar with thr Russian and Chinese Civil wars.

I'm currently in a history thrall about the early plantagents ( Henry II and his hot mess of a family) and also doing some compare contrast between them/the war of the roses and Game of Thrones which is inspired by it.

I love doing research into the history behind literature and mythology.

@Ruhx Ancient Rome is fun to learn about because it's a soap opera and a half. Ancient history in general, really, because I think people forgot to write down the data while writing down the scandalousness of whatever was going on.

Ww2 my interests are a bit scattered, but I love learning about the technology that was developed then that seems so standard now. Like how Hetty Lamar developed the basis of wifi by playing the dumb wife while her husband's nazi friends talked about problems they had figuring it out. She figured it out before they did and escaped to the US and got it patented.

@peculiaritea the English Civil War is also very interesting. It's different from both the US and the French because while the French changed their whole government and the US kept theirs the English changed theirs and then changed it back again. I have to admit I'm less familiar with thr Russian and Chinese Civil wars.

I'm currently in a history thrall about the early plantagents ( Henry II and his hot mess of a family) and also doing some compare contrast between them/the war of the roses and Game of Thrones which is inspired by it.

I love doing research into the history behind literature and mythology.