Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Coloring in Digital Art
I got Procreate awhile back, and I have only ever made art traditionally. I can sketch drawings in the app just fine, but coloring them has me stumped. I have tried many brushes and used multiple layers when doing so, but I cannot seem to get the technique. I did not imagine it would be so different from traditional art. Now I have all kinds of unfinished sketches lying around in Procreate.
Any tips or suggestions for coloring/making art on Procreate? Thanks :)
I got Procreate awhile back, and I have only ever made art traditionally. I can sketch drawings in the app just fine, but coloring them has me stumped. I have tried many brushes and used multiple layers when doing so, but I cannot seem to get the technique. I did not imagine it would be so different from traditional art. Now I have all kinds of unfinished sketches lying around in Procreate.
Any tips or suggestions for coloring/making art on Procreate? Thanks :)
tumblr_nbexpjKY571qk9eg1o1_500.gif
@TheBlueOne what specifically about it has you stumped, may I ask?

Zoo | 24 | +3 Hrs
Bio Templates
Fandragons
Uae529o.png
Digitally coloring for me has been messing around with brushes endlessly until you find something that works for you. Why dont you start with flat colors? What exactly are you trying to ask for when you say coloring tips? Definitely make sure color layers are underneath lineart layers. "Reference" helps you color things in with the Fill tool quickly, however, if you have any "holes," Fill will color the entire canvas. Even if you use something like textured brushes. If I use something like pencils, the tiniest of holes wont let me fill properly ????
Also zooming in will help a lot as well.
Digitally coloring for me has been messing around with brushes endlessly until you find something that works for you. Why dont you start with flat colors? What exactly are you trying to ask for when you say coloring tips? Definitely make sure color layers are underneath lineart layers. "Reference" helps you color things in with the Fill tool quickly, however, if you have any "holes," Fill will color the entire canvas. Even if you use something like textured brushes. If I use something like pencils, the tiniest of holes wont let me fill properly ????
Also zooming in will help a lot as well.
vVseha8.gif
↑NOW EXTREMELY OUTDATED Art Shop
I would recommend watching or reading tutorials on how “layers” work. I would also suggest learning how “clipping” works once you get the hang of layers in general.

Source: digital artist with 10+ years of experience
I would recommend watching or reading tutorials on how “layers” work. I would also suggest learning how “clipping” works once you get the hang of layers in general.

Source: digital artist with 10+ years of experience
6nI5sr3.png UPbvkZE.png
I dunno what you mean by coloring. It took me years to find my "style" and I'm still experimenting.

The basics of using different colors for shading (not just black) and maybe coloring your lines a different color might help. Use different blend modes for colors, lighting and shading. I also learned from studying other digital artists.

But tbh, it's all up to you. I don't really believe in hard rules for art. But I'm also not sure of what you're looking to improve on.

Maybe online color palettes might help? Palette challenges can be a great way to practice colors.

https://coolors.co/

(You can make an account and save color palettes too.)
I dunno what you mean by coloring. It took me years to find my "style" and I'm still experimenting.

The basics of using different colors for shading (not just black) and maybe coloring your lines a different color might help. Use different blend modes for colors, lighting and shading. I also learned from studying other digital artists.

But tbh, it's all up to you. I don't really believe in hard rules for art. But I'm also not sure of what you're looking to improve on.

Maybe online color palettes might help? Palette challenges can be a great way to practice colors.

https://coolors.co/

(You can make an account and save color palettes too.)
34819.png
- death unto dawn -
[quote name="Zooropa" date="2023-07-01 14:50:11" ] @TheBlueOne what specifically about it has you stumped, may I ask? [/quote] Mostly just trying to find my own style for coloring, however, I guess flat colors would be a good start. I just want to know how to color comfortably without relying so much on line-art, as I see so many beautiful line-less (as in no black outlines) pieces in digital art that I cannot replicate myself
Zooropa wrote on 2023-07-01 14:50:11:

Mostly just trying to find my own style for coloring, however, I guess flat colors would be a good start. I just want to know how to color comfortably without relying so much on line-art, as I see so many beautiful line-less (as in no black outlines) pieces in digital art that I cannot replicate myself
tumblr_nbexpjKY571qk9eg1o1_500.gif
if lineless artwork is what you strive to achieve then i'd def recommend looking into tutorials on how to paint on procreate and downloading more custom brushes that are more textured and good for blending.

another thing is that you dont technically need to not use colors, what you can simply do is use them as a guide to fill everything in and then color them [ either by just locking the layer and coloring them or by painting over them ] since this is also a common thing ppl do when it comes to doing lineless art !
if lineless artwork is what you strive to achieve then i'd def recommend looking into tutorials on how to paint on procreate and downloading more custom brushes that are more textured and good for blending.

another thing is that you dont technically need to not use colors, what you can simply do is use them as a guide to fill everything in and then color them [ either by just locking the layer and coloring them or by painting over them ] since this is also a common thing ppl do when it comes to doing lineless art !
ezgif-1-3b9d56bacd.gif ..SEVENPILLS
he/him . trans male . adult . aroace + bi
" Steadily my thoughts take hold of me
It's hard to stay awake or fall asleep
Memories of the past, both the good and the bad
Overwhelm me "
----[ TH ]
----[ CS ]
----[ carrd ]
To add onto what other people said, finding a good brush you vibe with for me is half the battle.

I bought the Jingsketch Complete procreate brush set and that includes painting and lining brushes I've been using for a LONG time.

Iirc it also comes with a tutorial for how to use certain things! There's also a free version of it but I don't think it has as many brushes.

Either way, I like to find a brush I like and how I started out was doing painting underneath the sketch with the lineart opacity turned down to like 20%. From there honestly a lot of techniques for irl painting apply.

I hardly ever paint linelessly anymore so I'm not the best authority on this but in any case I hope it goes well and you have fun!
To add onto what other people said, finding a good brush you vibe with for me is half the battle.

I bought the Jingsketch Complete procreate brush set and that includes painting and lining brushes I've been using for a LONG time.

Iirc it also comes with a tutorial for how to use certain things! There's also a free version of it but I don't think it has as many brushes.

Either way, I like to find a brush I like and how I started out was doing painting underneath the sketch with the lineart opacity turned down to like 20%. From there honestly a lot of techniques for irl painting apply.

I hardly ever paint linelessly anymore so I'm not the best authority on this but in any case I hope it goes well and you have fun!
............................ imageedit_2_7536044406.png

she/her
art shop