Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | What's the last book you read?
1 2
Not currently reading anything, but one of my favorite series is called The Books of Bayern. It starts with a book called Goose Girl- I took FOREVER to try reading it since I didn't think it was within my usual interests. I learned to never judge a book by its cover!
Not currently reading anything, but one of my favorite series is called The Books of Bayern. It starts with a book called Goose Girl- I took FOREVER to try reading it since I didn't think it was within my usual interests. I learned to never judge a book by its cover!
iSMOnnH.png
My most recent 5 star read was Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin. SO GOOD. The writing was just so unique and the storytelling was imaculate. Now that I've read it I super regret dragging my feet to start.
My most recent 5 star read was Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin. SO GOOD. The writing was just so unique and the storytelling was imaculate. Now that I've read it I super regret dragging my feet to start.
Last book I completed reading was "The Art of Not Giving A Funk (for forum rules)"
if your looking for a good self help book that's straight forward and gives you a different perspective on things this is it. i originally found it in Walmart but I'm sure there is a better price for it elsewhere.

thrift books . com is a good place to get used books, Ive ordered from there alot. art books, nancy drew and more therapy books its a good and cheap alternative to Amazon

right now, i just started on readers digest complete book of the garden. i got it for 2 bucks in a thrift store
Last book I completed reading was "The Art of Not Giving A Funk (for forum rules)"
if your looking for a good self help book that's straight forward and gives you a different perspective on things this is it. i originally found it in Walmart but I'm sure there is a better price for it elsewhere.

thrift books . com is a good place to get used books, Ive ordered from there alot. art books, nancy drew and more therapy books its a good and cheap alternative to Amazon

right now, i just started on readers digest complete book of the garden. i got it for 2 bucks in a thrift store

nvlVFtD.png

r2QANTY.png
Currently reading Gideon The Ninth! My friend recommended it to me, and like. I'll read pretty much anything with lesbians and/or space politics. Really enjoying it so far!
Currently reading Gideon The Ninth! My friend recommended it to me, and like. I'll read pretty much anything with lesbians and/or space politics. Really enjoying it so far!

When on your way out
Be sure that you say goodbye
Then lock the door tight.

They/it
Fr +3
Fandragons
Wishlist
The last book I finished reading was [i]The Fall of Hyperion[/i] by Dan Simmons. It's the second book in the science fiction series, [i]The Hyperion Cantos[/i], and I thought it was awesome. I don't normally like to read more than one book at a time if I can help it, but right now I'm doing a couple of buddy reads and I'm trying to read more in my second language, so I have a bit of a pile going. Currently I am jugging the following books: [i]The Plague Dogs[/i] by Richard Adams. I absolutely love [i]Watership Down[/i] (one of my favorite books of all time) so I have been very curious to read Adams' other novels. [i]The Plague Dogs[/i] started off a bit slow and at first I wasn't sure how to feel about it, but now I'm about halfway through and feel like I can't put it down. It's emotional, exciting, and deeply reverent of nature and animals much in the same way that [i]Watership Down[/i] is. [i]Piranesi[/i] by Susanna Clarke. I selected this book to read with a couple of my friends. I don't really know how to describe it. It's a rather unique mystery-fantasy novel with an adorable main character. I chose this because the description sounded like nothing I have ever read before and I was intrigued. I have only just started it though and I don't have a lot of thoughts to share about it yet. [i]The Iliad[/i] by Homer, translated by Peter Green. I'd been having some trouble staying motivated enough to read this one on my own because it's a bit challenging, so I joined a group online where everyone is reading it together. We just started yesterday. I'll have to keep up if I want to be able to talk about it with them, lol! And last but not least, I'm also reading a Greek translation of an abridged version of [i]The Wizard of Oz[/i], which has been the most slow-going because it is extremely challenging for me to read in my second language and I tend to get frustrated and need to take a break from it for a few days (or a week), lol. My favorite book? Oh, no, but I can't only choose one... I have too many. @LouckyKoneko [i]The Last Unicorn[/i] is one of my favorite books of all time! Although it has been many years since I last read it. I intend to give it another go one of these days... I was a huge fan of the [i]His Dark Materials[/i] trilogy as well. I would love to try reading the Greek translation of this series once I have the ability to do so. @oflgtfol That book you described about Pluto sounds so interesting. I really would like to read more nonfiction, but I find it difficult to get myself out of the fiction bubble for some reason. I've only read one nonfiction book so far this year... Do you ever like to read biographies? That's a genre of nonfiction I've never really touched. (Well, I've read a few autobiographies, but I consider that to be different.) A little while back I heard about a newish biography about Alexander Humboldt. I think it's called [i]The Invention of Nature[/i]. Anyway, I heard that it's amazing so I've been considering adding it to my list. No idea if that's something you'd be interested in, but I thought it might be worth mentioning, I dunno! [emoji=wildclaw laughing size=1] @corvidays I've heard nothing but good things about Gideon the Ninth, so I'm pretty curious about it myself! I hope I can get around to reading it sometime this year. [emoji=wildclaw happy size=1]
The last book I finished reading was The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. It's the second book in the science fiction series, The Hyperion Cantos, and I thought it was awesome.

I don't normally like to read more than one book at a time if I can help it, but right now I'm doing a couple of buddy reads and I'm trying to read more in my second language, so I have a bit of a pile going. Currently I am jugging the following books:

The Plague Dogs by Richard Adams. I absolutely love Watership Down (one of my favorite books of all time) so I have been very curious to read Adams' other novels. The Plague Dogs started off a bit slow and at first I wasn't sure how to feel about it, but now I'm about halfway through and feel like I can't put it down. It's emotional, exciting, and deeply reverent of nature and animals much in the same way that Watership Down is.

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. I selected this book to read with a couple of my friends. I don't really know how to describe it. It's a rather unique mystery-fantasy novel with an adorable main character. I chose this because the description sounded like nothing I have ever read before and I was intrigued. I have only just started it though and I don't have a lot of thoughts to share about it yet.

The Iliad by Homer, translated by Peter Green. I'd been having some trouble staying motivated enough to read this one on my own because it's a bit challenging, so I joined a group online where everyone is reading it together. We just started yesterday. I'll have to keep up if I want to be able to talk about it with them, lol!

And last but not least, I'm also reading a Greek translation of an abridged version of The Wizard of Oz, which has been the most slow-going because it is extremely challenging for me to read in my second language and I tend to get frustrated and need to take a break from it for a few days (or a week), lol.

My favorite book? Oh, no, but I can't only choose one... I have too many.

@LouckyKoneko
The Last Unicorn is one of my favorite books of all time! Although it has been many years since I last read it. I intend to give it another go one of these days... I was a huge fan of the His Dark Materials trilogy as well. I would love to try reading the Greek translation of this series once I have the ability to do so.

@oflgtfol
That book you described about Pluto sounds so interesting. I really would like to read more nonfiction, but I find it difficult to get myself out of the fiction bubble for some reason. I've only read one nonfiction book so far this year... Do you ever like to read biographies? That's a genre of nonfiction I've never really touched. (Well, I've read a few autobiographies, but I consider that to be different.) A little while back I heard about a newish biography about Alexander Humboldt. I think it's called The Invention of Nature. Anyway, I heard that it's amazing so I've been considering adding it to my list. No idea if that's something you'd be interested in, but I thought it might be worth mentioning, I dunno!

@corvidays
I've heard nothing but good things about Gideon the Ninth, so I'm pretty curious about it myself! I hope I can get around to reading it sometime this year.
pFIAgVa.png
manatad | the emerald dove
FR+10
@manatad
I still definitely enjoy fiction lol, just more of adult sci-fi than the old YA I would read when I was younger. But even then, I've just been on more of a non-fiction kick than even sci-fi lately.

I don't really read biographies either! I'm more of a memoir kind of person - the non-fiction I specifically enjoy is people writing about particular events in their or other people's lives. In the case of How I Killed Pluto, it was the story of Mike Brown's journey through discovering all those Kuiper Belt objects. The other books I've read lately have been about actual caving stories - unfortunately I don't really care about the rest of the cavers' lives, haha.

That book sounds super interesting though, I'll definitely take a look at it when I have the time! Thanks for the recommendation :)
@manatad
I still definitely enjoy fiction lol, just more of adult sci-fi than the old YA I would read when I was younger. But even then, I've just been on more of a non-fiction kick than even sci-fi lately.

I don't really read biographies either! I'm more of a memoir kind of person - the non-fiction I specifically enjoy is people writing about particular events in their or other people's lives. In the case of How I Killed Pluto, it was the story of Mike Brown's journey through discovering all those Kuiper Belt objects. The other books I've read lately have been about actual caving stories - unfortunately I don't really care about the rest of the cavers' lives, haha.

That book sounds super interesting though, I'll definitely take a look at it when I have the time! Thanks for the recommendation :)
Satin Violets brot | they/them
+3 FR hours
FR blog
main blog
deviantArt
1 2