Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Skin and Accent Layering
1 2
I think it would be fun to allow for custom layering of skins and accents with apparel. This would allow for a huge number of additional design combinations, and would help certain skins and accents be more compatible with apparel.
For example, with something like this accent the moths would look super cute on top of apparel, but it doesn't make sense for them to be underneath clothing, which limits what they look realistic with.

I have no idea if this would be extremely difficult to implement, but you could change the dressing room interface so that the skin and accent slot is part of the apparel slots block, but is just a different color, or outlined differently to distinguish it.

Additionally, it would be super cool to be able to choose certain tertiary genes that layer over skins, accents, and apparel, though I imagine this could be more complicated. This would be especially nice with firefly, but it would also help a lot of the ancient terts become more compatible with existing skins and accents, ex. gnarlhorns and plummage.
I think it would be fun to allow for custom layering of skins and accents with apparel. This would allow for a huge number of additional design combinations, and would help certain skins and accents be more compatible with apparel.
For example, with something like this accent the moths would look super cute on top of apparel, but it doesn't make sense for them to be underneath clothing, which limits what they look realistic with.

I have no idea if this would be extremely difficult to implement, but you could change the dressing room interface so that the skin and accent slot is part of the apparel slots block, but is just a different color, or outlined differently to distinguish it.

Additionally, it would be super cool to be able to choose certain tertiary genes that layer over skins, accents, and apparel, though I imagine this could be more complicated. This would be especially nice with firefly, but it would also help a lot of the ancient terts become more compatible with existing skins and accents, ex. gnarlhorns and plummage.
nPBJGzE.png tumblr_inline_n6kdukB9pN1qlye38.gif QKenIL5.png
i see this pop up every now and then and i'm always in support of it just because i think it'd be SUPER cool and would unlock a new way to do skin/accents for people

imagine mix and match accent combos to create entire scenes on your dragon that can change depending on what set of accents they're wearing??? that'd be so cool
i see this pop up every now and then and i'm always in support of it just because i think it'd be SUPER cool and would unlock a new way to do skin/accents for people

imagine mix and match accent combos to create entire scenes on your dragon that can change depending on what set of accents they're wearing??? that'd be so cool
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
I always support the idea of being able to treat skins and accents kind of like apparel where you could layer it with apparel. It would just open up so much opportunity for unique customization and some skins would definitely be best layered over.
I always support the idea of being able to treat skins and accents kind of like apparel where you could layer it with apparel. It would just open up so much opportunity for unique customization and some skins would definitely be best layered over.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Nice idea, but I don't think it's logistically feasible, at least for skins that already exist. There's a LOT of skins and accents out there, and who's going to edit them all? For many of them, the amount of effort that would be required to edit out individual elements and put them onto a separate layer would be huge.

For future skins I can see it being an interesting idea, but I also don't see how having a skin with a swarm of moths that can be separated out and brought to the front is all that different to suggesting an apparel item that looks like a swarm of moths. Like, skins and apparel are different categories of things that fulfil different purposes. If skins are going to function just like apparel items, in the sense that they are modular and able to be layered rather than a cohesive base layer, then why have skins at all? Why not just have a user-submitted apparel competition every month instead? I think sometimes you just have to make the hard choice between piling on the apparel vs keeping it minimal and showcasing a cool skin to its best effect.
Nice idea, but I don't think it's logistically feasible, at least for skins that already exist. There's a LOT of skins and accents out there, and who's going to edit them all? For many of them, the amount of effort that would be required to edit out individual elements and put them onto a separate layer would be huge.

For future skins I can see it being an interesting idea, but I also don't see how having a skin with a swarm of moths that can be separated out and brought to the front is all that different to suggesting an apparel item that looks like a swarm of moths. Like, skins and apparel are different categories of things that fulfil different purposes. If skins are going to function just like apparel items, in the sense that they are modular and able to be layered rather than a cohesive base layer, then why have skins at all? Why not just have a user-submitted apparel competition every month instead? I think sometimes you just have to make the hard choice between piling on the apparel vs keeping it minimal and showcasing a cool skin to its best effect.
support! sure, you could mess around with it and make the layers all wrong and then your dragon looks bad, but you can do that right now with regular apparel, and looking kind of silly doesn't hurt anybody. at the very least, being able to layer terts (especially linebreaking ones) over skins would help a lot of existing jank. the more customization the merrier imo :)
support! sure, you could mess around with it and make the layers all wrong and then your dragon looks bad, but you can do that right now with regular apparel, and looking kind of silly doesn't hurt anybody. at the very least, being able to layer terts (especially linebreaking ones) over skins would help a lot of existing jank. the more customization the merrier imo :)
yes yes yes!! this would be so great!
yes yes yes!! this would be so great!
[quote name="fairywretch" date="2023-06-05 01:49:11" ] Nice idea, but I don't think it's logistically feasible, at least for skins that already exist. There's a LOT of skins and accents out there, and who's going to edit them all? For many of them, the amount of effort that would be required to edit out individual elements and put them onto a separate layer would be huge. [/quote] I could be wrong, but I don't think this is about editing the skins into individual pieces to layer separately from each other, but to treat the whole skin as a single piece of apparel (think the Rimeplate or something: it's quite large and doesn't have individual pieces but must all be layered as a single piece) that can be layered either on top of apparel or below it. So no editing of the skins needed. However, treating the skins functionally as a piece of apparel (that you can only equip one of) might take some doing. But certainly not the amount of editing work you've described.
fairywretch wrote on 2023-06-05 01:49:11:
I could be wrong, but I don't think this is about editing the skins into individual pieces to layer separately from each other, but to treat the whole skin as a single piece of apparel (think the Rimeplate or something: it's quite large and doesn't have individual pieces but must all be layered as a single piece) that can be layered either on top of apparel or below it.

So no editing of the skins needed. However, treating the skins functionally as a piece of apparel (that you can only equip one of) might take some doing. But certainly not the amount of editing work you've described.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Such skin with shadows will looks wierdo.
In that case I vote already for new item - custom skinlike apparel - that is one layer object, as skins are, do not need dragon's shades, could goes outside of Sprite and could goes above apparels.
In that case I vote already for new item - custom skinlike apparel - that is one layer object, as skins are, do not need dragon's shades, could goes outside of Sprite and could goes above apparels.

preorder list

Buy

Buy

Buy

Buy
i dont think it would be added due to the strict rules on shadows and lines on skins that follow the specific breed base and therefore wouldnt line up correctly if able to be put over apparel. you cant just remove the shadows from these skins because it's now all one still image in the game and it's much too late to change the rules now.
i dont think it would be added due to the strict rules on shadows and lines on skins that follow the specific breed base and therefore wouldnt line up correctly if able to be put over apparel. you cant just remove the shadows from these skins because it's now all one still image in the game and it's much too late to change the rules now.
a53046431071_9a2c62a39e_o.png

a
saltypie
• fr+3
• he/him
• uma & g1 addict
[quote name="Alkhor" date="2023-06-05 14:09:35" ] Such skin with shadows will looks wierdo. In that case I vote already for new item - custom skinlike apparel - that is one layer object, as skins are, do not need dragon's shades, could goes outside of Sprite and could goes above apparels. [/quote] I personally don't think it matters if it looks weird. We have [i]dragon pants[/i]. And, beyond all reckoning, some people use them. Some people would like to be able to layer them, and, like clipping apparel, would just be ignored by the people who don't mind that kind of thing too much. Or, also possible, people who don't see the lines and shading from the base. There are a lot skins for which I can't see them. Additionally, white-space skins and accents don't work with backgrounds now being a thing, and we haven't seen people stop using them or even making them ([gamedb item=50666]). Even before that, white-space accents weren't given special exemption from the rules requiring they use the lines and shadows and people still make them. Why? Because some people are not bothered by stuff that other people consider bothersome or weird.
Alkhor wrote on 2023-06-05 14:09:35:
I personally don't think it matters if it looks weird. We have dragon pants. And, beyond all reckoning, some people use them.

Some people would like to be able to layer them, and, like clipping apparel, would just be ignored by the people who don't mind that kind of thing too much. Or, also possible, people who don't see the lines and shading from the base. There are a lot skins for which I can't see them. Additionally, white-space skins and accents don't work with backgrounds now being a thing, and we haven't seen people stop using them or even making them (Accent: World Serpent). Even before that, white-space accents weren't given special exemption from the rules requiring they use the lines and shadows and people still make them. Why? Because some people are not bothered by stuff that other people consider bothersome or weird.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2