Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | dracula daily!
1 2
is anyone else doing dracula daily this year? for those unfamiliar it's a substack that sends out emails of the entire book of dracula in chronological order on the day each event happens in real time! because the book is written as a series of journal entries and newspaper articles and such so everything has a date.

i did it last year and it was so good, the original book is so different from what movies and stuff made me think. this year there's also an audio recording with a full cast and sound effects and stuff called re:dracula. the first email and audio came out today and i'm so excited to get into it again now that i know the basic story and can focus on the details!

anyway i thought it would be fun to make a thread to talk about it if anyone else is reading it too since it will go on for a few months and i didn't find one when i looked so here it is ^-^

today's entry: paprika is delicious.
is anyone else doing dracula daily this year? for those unfamiliar it's a substack that sends out emails of the entire book of dracula in chronological order on the day each event happens in real time! because the book is written as a series of journal entries and newspaper articles and such so everything has a date.

i did it last year and it was so good, the original book is so different from what movies and stuff made me think. this year there's also an audio recording with a full cast and sound effects and stuff called re:dracula. the first email and audio came out today and i'm so excited to get into it again now that i know the basic story and can focus on the details!

anyway i thought it would be fun to make a thread to talk about it if anyone else is reading it too since it will go on for a few months and i didn't find one when i looked so here it is ^-^

today's entry: paprika is delicious.
hu72dVR.png
I just subscribed for the first time! I haven't read the original novel before, so this'll be a new experience :)

and I agree, paprika is great
I just subscribed for the first time! I haven't read the original novel before, so this'll be a new experience :)

and I agree, paprika is great
MuAIaYM.png
First time subscriber here. I signed up a few weeks in advance, so I'm pretty stoked (no pun intended). Reading Austro-Hungarian place names had me stop to look up what they're called now (e.g. Klausenburgh [sic] was Cluj-Napoca, Romania). Probably not the last time I'll geek out over geography. I remember finding an annotated version of Dracula online with notes about Transylvanian history. I think I found the site (lost track since I replaced my laptop last year), but it's broken at time of this post. [emoji=fae sad size=1]
First time subscriber here. I signed up a few weeks in advance, so I'm pretty stoked (no pun intended). Reading Austro-Hungarian place names had me stop to look up what they're called now (e.g. Klausenburgh [sic] was Cluj-Napoca, Romania). Probably not the last time I'll geek out over geography.

I remember finding an annotated version of Dracula online with notes about Transylvanian history. I think I found the site (lost track since I replaced my laptop last year), but it's broken at time of this post.
No tone tags, please. Just say what you mean. Will not read carrds.
YUzmw5z.png9Wis07O.pngYMPbu9R.png
@Variable yay i hope you enjoy it!! and i definitely want to look up the recipe for paprika hendl now XD

@LaikaFlash i agree the geography is so neat! i've looked up bridges and mountains and such that are mentioned and it really gives such a sense of place. if you find a site with the annotated version that works i would love to know!

and some thoughts on day two: getting a little spooky, i wish jonathon would listen to his landlords but also feeling obligated to do what your boss is paying you to do is so relatable
@Variable yay i hope you enjoy it!! and i definitely want to look up the recipe for paprika hendl now XD

@LaikaFlash i agree the geography is so neat! i've looked up bridges and mountains and such that are mentioned and it really gives such a sense of place. if you find a site with the annotated version that works i would love to know!

and some thoughts on day two: getting a little spooky, i wish jonathon would listen to his landlords but also feeling obligated to do what your boss is paying you to do is so relatable
hu72dVR.png
day three,,, things aren't looking so good for our buddy jonathan
day three,,, things aren't looking so good for our buddy jonathan
MuAIaYM.png
they are not D:

i think my favorite part of this entry was jonathan being like, is this what a typical solicitor’s life is like? no, no it is not, my friend XD

also i’m listening to the audio version this time (Re: Dracula it’s called) and they did the sound effects of the wolves and the lonely castle so well it made it so much spookier!
they are not D:

i think my favorite part of this entry was jonathan being like, is this what a typical solicitor’s life is like? no, no it is not, my friend XD

also i’m listening to the audio version this time (Re: Dracula it’s called) and they did the sound effects of the wolves and the lonely castle so well it made it so much spookier!
hu72dVR.png
I love many people are getting into Dracula thanks to Drac Daily
So nice to see one of my fav books getting appreciation
casually bops my broadcast
I love many people are getting into Dracula thanks to Drac Daily
So nice to see one of my fav books getting appreciation
casually bops my broadcast
Runic Bat Spectral Duskflapper Cursed Bat Armored Duskflapper Spirit of Shadow
No email from Jonathan today, he's probably having such a nice and whimsical time that he forgot to write. [emoji=bogsneak tongue size=1]
No email from Jonathan today, he's probably having such a nice and whimsical time that he forgot to write.
MuAIaYM.png
I didn't even know that was a thing, I subscribed right away!!! Can't wait for the updates! Sadly never got around to reading the actual novel, but I' so excited for this!!
Thank you so much for making this thread abt it I can tell I'll enjoy this! :]]
I didn't even know that was a thing, I subscribed right away!!! Can't wait for the updates! Sadly never got around to reading the actual novel, but I' so excited for this!!
Thank you so much for making this thread abt it I can tell I'll enjoy this! :]]
I'm following along as well! I subscribed last year but couldn't commit to it :( Having a great time with it so far, the emails make it seem like he's a long distant penpal of mine
I'm following along as well! I subscribed last year but couldn't commit to it :( Having a great time with it so far, the emails make it seem like he's a long distant penpal of mine
kiKtBfq.png
1 2