Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Queer book recommendations please
1 2 3 4
Most of the ones I've read are already on here, but here r some I don't think I saw mentioned.

° This Is How You Lose The Time War (Sapphic time-travelling assasins leave each other love notes. Beautiful prose and writing, although I did find it a bit difficult to keep up w what's going on.)

°The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (A magazine writer is hired by a famous old Hollywood actress to write her biography. Beautifully written, but you should def check the trigger warnings)

°Outlawed (cowgirls and cowqueers on a good old fashioned bank robbery! THIS ONE HAS A RLY COOL NONBINARY CHARACTER AND LOTS OF GENDER NONCONFORMITY! Would also recommend checking out the tws)

Also, if you have a library card/ can get one I would recommend downloading Libby! You can borrow audio and ebooks from the library and then read them on your Kindle! Saved so much money using it.
Most of the ones I've read are already on here, but here r some I don't think I saw mentioned.

° This Is How You Lose The Time War (Sapphic time-travelling assasins leave each other love notes. Beautiful prose and writing, although I did find it a bit difficult to keep up w what's going on.)

°The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo (A magazine writer is hired by a famous old Hollywood actress to write her biography. Beautifully written, but you should def check the trigger warnings)

°Outlawed (cowgirls and cowqueers on a good old fashioned bank robbery! THIS ONE HAS A RLY COOL NONBINARY CHARACTER AND LOTS OF GENDER NONCONFORMITY! Would also recommend checking out the tws)

Also, if you have a library card/ can get one I would recommend downloading Libby! You can borrow audio and ebooks from the library and then read them on your Kindle! Saved so much money using it.
Seconding the recs for Gideon the Ninth, The Song of Achilles, and Crier's War. On top of that, I'll add...

In the Watchful City by S Qiouyi Lu. A collection of short fantasy stories. Various queer characters, the main viewpoint character is nonbinary and uses ae/aer pronouns.

She Who Became the Sun by Shelly Parker-Chan. Historical Chinese fantasy, the main character is a woman disguised as a man, who marries another woman (but not like, fake platonic married). Doesn't pull its punches.

August Kitko and the Mechas from Outer Space by Alex White. Delightful action-packed sci-fi, the main characters are a queer man and his nonbinary love interest.

City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer. Collection of weird dark fantasy stories. The protagonist of one is gay, though his relationship isn't the main focus.

The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling. Sci-fi subterranean horror with a sapphic twist.

Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb. Fantasy adventure, one of the main characters is gay (and eventually ends up in a relationship that's not a total mess, I promise).

Tower of the King's Daughter by Chaz Brenchley. Fantasy inspired by the Middle Eastern Crusades, one of the main characters is gay and ends up in a love triangle that's actually well-written.

The Fifth Season by M.K. Jemisin. Apocalyptic fantasy that stomped on my heart repeatedly. One of the major characters is gay (and deserves to do whatever he wants forever). There's also a trans side character.

The Copper Promise by Jen Williams. Fantasy adventure. One of the main characters is a gay knight who can talk to dragons, which will become useful in unexpected ways later on.

The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri. Gorgeous Indian-inspired sapphic fantasy, with charmingly ruthless ladies.

And for a non-book rec, Word of Honour is a fantastic mlm wuxia show (Chinese fantasy martial arts). It's available on Netflix, but be warned that the Netflix version doesn't include the final mini-episode, which is incredibly important and changes the whole ending! No clue why they made that choice. The Untamed is pretty good as well, though it took me a few episodes to figure out what was actually going on with the reincarnation and time skips and stuff.
Seconding the recs for Gideon the Ninth, The Song of Achilles, and Crier's War. On top of that, I'll add...

In the Watchful City by S Qiouyi Lu. A collection of short fantasy stories. Various queer characters, the main viewpoint character is nonbinary and uses ae/aer pronouns.

She Who Became the Sun by Shelly Parker-Chan. Historical Chinese fantasy, the main character is a woman disguised as a man, who marries another woman (but not like, fake platonic married). Doesn't pull its punches.

August Kitko and the Mechas from Outer Space by Alex White. Delightful action-packed sci-fi, the main characters are a queer man and his nonbinary love interest.

City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff Vandermeer. Collection of weird dark fantasy stories. The protagonist of one is gay, though his relationship isn't the main focus.

The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling. Sci-fi subterranean horror with a sapphic twist.

Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb. Fantasy adventure, one of the main characters is gay (and eventually ends up in a relationship that's not a total mess, I promise).

Tower of the King's Daughter by Chaz Brenchley. Fantasy inspired by the Middle Eastern Crusades, one of the main characters is gay and ends up in a love triangle that's actually well-written.

The Fifth Season by M.K. Jemisin. Apocalyptic fantasy that stomped on my heart repeatedly. One of the major characters is gay (and deserves to do whatever he wants forever). There's also a trans side character.

The Copper Promise by Jen Williams. Fantasy adventure. One of the main characters is a gay knight who can talk to dragons, which will become useful in unexpected ways later on.

The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri. Gorgeous Indian-inspired sapphic fantasy, with charmingly ruthless ladies.

And for a non-book rec, Word of Honour is a fantastic mlm wuxia show (Chinese fantasy martial arts). It's available on Netflix, but be warned that the Netflix version doesn't include the final mini-episode, which is incredibly important and changes the whole ending! No clue why they made that choice. The Untamed is pretty good as well, though it took me a few episodes to figure out what was actually going on with the reincarnation and time skips and stuff.
[quote name="ElysianStars" date="2023-03-13 09:38:09" ] Dragon Keeper by Robin Hobb. Fantasy adventure, one of the main characters is gay (and eventually ends up in a relationship that's not a total mess, I promise). [/quote] glad you recommended this one! i second it for very unique worldbuilding as well, it was truly lovely.
ElysianStars wrote on 2023-03-13 09:38:09:

glad you recommended this one! i second it for very unique worldbuilding as well, it was truly lovely.

nfZCrZ4.png
I dont mind being pinged!
Definitely seconding the wayward children and six of crows series'.
Definitely seconding the wayward children and six of crows series'.
LF:
Skin: Euphorbia
flower_fox_signature.png
i second the seven husbands of evelyn hugo for sure - it's popular for a reason!! i also recommend peter darling - it's a queer fairytale retelling of peter pan and it's a short, quick read, which would be good for to you to warm back into reading :)
i second the seven husbands of evelyn hugo for sure - it's popular for a reason!! i also recommend peter darling - it's a queer fairytale retelling of peter pan and it's a short, quick read, which would be good for to you to warm back into reading :)
0f3f7b8b731cdf032a138f902992a590881da0bc.gif
f48af89b7bc7e030b61a5bc849531663d27e6ac3.gif
78d3041a52ef01dc82c1d65ac1568ea5b046f78a.gif
off the top of my head i have two things i can recommend that wasnt already mentioned in some way and that is the Hollow Star Saga. ongoing series, very fantasy/YA, features an lgbtq as the main character and several side characters who are also lgbtq. the books are kind of? long though. Can also recommend Once and Future, and its sequel, Sword in the Stars. More sci-fi than fantasy, both YA.
off the top of my head i have two things i can recommend that wasnt already mentioned in some way and that is the Hollow Star Saga. ongoing series, very fantasy/YA, features an lgbtq as the main character and several side characters who are also lgbtq. the books are kind of? long though. Can also recommend Once and Future, and its sequel, Sword in the Stars. More sci-fi than fantasy, both YA.
frogge3_resz.png corgisinger.png dXPE3wF.png LEpJMnn.png ZbNAjCO.png Tl1dGxE.png tqGkHih.png
Z0DR4mq.png
e12L4xz.png
i would recommend the hazards of love: bright world by Stan Stanley
i would recommend the hazards of love: bright world by Stan Stanley

Please ping me :>
"Notes of a Crocodile" by Qiu Miaojin
It was recommended to me but I have not read it yet.
"Notes of a Crocodile" by Qiu Miaojin
It was recommended to me but I have not read it yet.
525ij.gif + he/him
+ adult mar10
+ hi hi!!
Surprised no one has mentioned Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. It is weird to think that ten years later, the book has a movie and a sequel.
Surprised no one has mentioned Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. It is weird to think that ten years later, the book has a movie and a sequel.
90px-Applications-office.svg.png When people draw up a warm bath and put in flower petals,
Writing Prompts
are they bathing in flower tea?
I really liked Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao

It's not focused on the romance, but it has some poly rep! The main character is Bisexual, and at the end of the book is dating both love interests!

Its based on China's only female emperor Wu Zetian, but set in a sci-fi dystopian setting! The two love interests are Li Shimin and Gao Yizhi.
I really liked Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao

It's not focused on the romance, but it has some poly rep! The main character is Bisexual, and at the end of the book is dating both love interests!

Its based on China's only female emperor Wu Zetian, but set in a sci-fi dystopian setting! The two love interests are Li Shimin and Gao Yizhi.
1 2 3 4